1.    #1  
    So here is the deal:
    I am currently into a contract with VZW until Nov 2006. Seriously, I had to jump into a pool to save my 14 yr old dog and save her ***. (read with my current Samsung on me) I put it in a toaster oven and got it back, minus a few key funtions. Battery went TU but was repalced. Now, broke the glass also. So, need a phone. Am a long time user of POS, have a clie 615 which I use professionally.
    If I were to buy a Treo branded for VZW off a popular aution site, my questions are:
    1. Can I discontinue my Samsung and put in place the treo? I am sure I can, but will it trigger a 2 yr extension?
    2. I have a family share plan with my Wifey and Mom, so, lets say I bought a 650, and just want to swap my phone to the 650, would it trigger another 2 yr ext? I did not buy it from VZW!
    3. assuming that I get this far, by adding the data plan to the service already in place, will it trigger a 2 yr extension?

I have nothing about the 2 yr extension, but who knows where I will be in two years. I think I will stay with VZW as long as I can as this is the only provider I know that will work in all the remote areas especially where we army folks go.
    Your comments/advise please.
    NO it doesnt. you can actually do the esn change online at my account (verizonwireless.com) for free and be up and runnig as soon as you get the phone. my only suggestion would be to get the esn of the treo BEFORE buying and havin a freindly vzw rep make sure it is not flagged as stolen, good luck!
  3.    #3  
    Td67mustang, Thanks for the wonderful and accurate info. Yes, indeed I was on VZW site and after logging in, found where I could plug in the ESN # and bingo.
    Now, how about adding the web/mail access to my plan?
    td....GREAT CAR!!! I have an 05...

Aviator, you can add a data plan to your account at any time...should have no impact on your calling plan/contract. Verizon is expensive, though. I think it's like $50/month for unlimited data, but I could be wrong...I have Cingular.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein