1.    #1  
    I think most of us have seen this Hollywood rumor:

“Hollywood will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US."

But how true is this rumor?? Can we trust Seigo Investors as a source because if it's true I'm psyched.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I would say it is VERY reliable. Timing is the issue of dispute
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Based on personal experience, Sagio Investors knows what they are talking about and the Hollywood will be what they describe.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Any good indication of what OS(es) Hollywood will have? I've seen speculation (WM) and hopes--including mine (for Palm OS or both that and WM); nothing solid so far, though.

For that matter, any other indications of specifics on it?

BigTex, when you say timing is at issue, can you elaborate? IIRC, Sagio said March-May... is the question when during that timeframe, or if it'll happen then, or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    Any good indication of what OS(es) Hollywood will have? I've seen speculation (WM) and hopes--including mine (for Palm OS or both that and WM); nothing solid so far, though.
    If you are Ed Colligan, and the priimary purpose for creating the Hollywood was for Palm to be able to increase its European market share from its currently weak 4% share, would you make the Hollywood POS or WM5?
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink
    If you are Ed Colligan, and the priimary purpose for creating the Hollywood was for Palm to be able to increase its European market share from its currently weak 4% share, would you make the Hollywood POS or WM5?
    Ok, that argues for WM if it's an either-or choice. I think, though, that they're likely to design similar hardware lines for both OSes (to save their design costs), and offer both (worldwide, though emphasizing one or the other based on regional market demand). Designing à la the 700p and 700w would be an overall model that makes sense.

Also, if Cingular is supposed to pick it up in the US, which OS(es) will they choose? I'd say WM is not a given for them, and Palm has worked closely with them for a while now. IIRC, the Treo has been their best-selling smartphone.
    Last edited by Q; 12/12/2005 at 07:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    I think most of us have seen this Hollywood rumor:

“Hollywood will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US."

But how true is this rumor?? Can we trust Seigo Investors as a source because if it's true I'm psyched.
    I'd been taking the Sagio rumour with a pinch of salt. It seems like a rehash and combination of rumours from Engadget and Forbes:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000107066688/

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/1...markets03.html

The recent interview with Ed Colligan in the NYT has me a bit more convinced though. I've posted my reasoning in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101613

so I won't repeat it all here, but Ed pretty much says he's been driving around Ireland with a new 3G Treo. To date, the only confirmed 3G Treo is the 700w and that, to the best of my knowledge, wouldn't work in Ireland because it's CDMA, so it looks like there's an unconfirmed GSM 3G Treo undergoing testing at the moment.
    It is probably true
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    Ok, that argues for WM if it's an either-or choice. I think, though, that they're likely to design similar hardware lines for both OSes (to save their design costs), and offer both (worldwide, though emphasizing one or the other based on regional market demand). Designing à la the 700p and 700w would be an overall model that makes sense.

Also, if Cingular is supposed to pick it up in the US, which OS(es) will they choose? I'd say WM is not a given for them, and Palm has worked closely with them for a while now. IIRC, the Treo has been their best-selling smartphone.
    I'm sure there's data somwhere to show that WM has a much bigger share of the smartphone in europe, but I don't think that necessarily translates into Palm making it's next Treo WM5 even if it only produces a model with one OS. I suspect, based just on my personal day-to-day experience, that many potential smartphone users are fairly OS agnostic. The point is that the potential market is hugely bigger than the current user base and I'd be surprised if most those potential users wanted much more than Outlook synchonisation, web browsing and GPS. I think the simplicity of the Palm OS UI could be sold to these folks. Bundle this sexy new (unconfirmed) Hollywood with TomTom Navigator and they could be onto a winner.

OTOH, perhaps it won't be POS or WM5. From the NYT interview:

"NYT: But would you consider an open source platform?

Ed Colligan: Every time we come up with a major new design center or some major new idea -- we are not a technology driven company for technology’s sake. What we try to do is look at how we can deliver the best solution to an end user that is going to deliver this capability that we’re interested in and then we step back and say, “which processor, which platform, do we need an industry standard OS, would it be better to do some basic system software?” There are a lot of different tradeoffs, what applications will be made or delivered and so it’s never off the table, it’s just also don’t underestimate what it takes to do a whole other platform. Just the decision to go through the Microsoft effort was a huge decision for us and undertaking and something that we did not do lightly."

Pick the bones out of that if you can, but it's certainly not an unequivocal "No". I'm guessing that "would it be better to do some basic system software?" might be a reference to a feature phone with some kind of Linux kernel - Lowrider? - but there's no way to be sure.

If I had to bet, my money would go on Hollywood having WM5, but I wouldn't exclude yet another Garnet version or something we haven't seen yet.
    The issue of whether or not Palm could increase market share in Europe with a device using the Palm OS, is perhaps, but there would likely be less resistence to a WM5 device there. I personally would love it if Palm gave Europe the alternative of a Palm OS Hoilywood, but unless the Palm OS includes Cobalt instead of another tired Frankengarnett release, I would sincerely doubt it.

Concerning Cingular, my impression is that at one point they were thought to be interested in releasing the Mot Q. Apparently they changed their mind, and it seemed that perhaps the availability of a Palm Hollywood, might have been the thing that caused them to back off carrying the Q.
    The issue of whether or not Palm could increase market share in Europe with a device using the Palm OS, is perhaps, but there would likely be less resistence to a WM5 device there. I personally would love it if Palm gave Europe the alternative of a Palm OS Hoilywood, but unless the Palm OS includes Cobalt instead of another tired Frankengarnett release, I would sincerely doubt it.
    I expect you're right, but nobody's got rich yet predicting the death of OS5. I really wouldn't put it past them to do it again.
    Unless dramatic upgrades were also present, a repeat of OS 5 for the upcoming 700P would be a huge admission of weakness for Palm. if Palm has to permanently position itself as a Windows Clone manufacturer, it is essential that they have a viable alternative. MSFT has proven itself to be the worst kind of ally imaginable. The kind one never ever want to have to trust.
    I'm willing to bet that the reason that the Treo has not caught on is Europe how outrageously expensive data is there. The Treo was the first device that could realy use a lot of data but the providers such as Orange don't offer unlimited plans and instead see the Treo as a cash cow at their pay-per-MB prices (best deal: $93.90 for 1 GB a month). They proudly annouced that Treo users are consistently the largest consumers of data, but who's going to pay for it?
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Unless dramatic upgrades were also present, a repeat of OS 5 for the upcoming 700P would be a huge admission of weakness for Palm. if Palm has to permanently position itself as a Windows Clone manufacturer, it is essential that they have a viable alternative. MSFT has proven itself to be the worst kind of ally imaginable. The kind one never ever want to have to trust.
    Using MSFT period is a sign of Palm weakness, IMO. Using MSFT then producing nothing totally exciting(the Treo 700w is meh), another sign of weakness.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!