Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/10/bu...0extended.html

    You'll need to sign up (free) to read. I don't think I can post the entire interview here ...

    Tough decision for some right-wingers out there.. New York Times !! MSM! NAH!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  2. #2  
    Thanks for posting this... it's an interesting read!
  3. #3  
    The page refuses to download here. What did it say basically, please?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    The page refuses to download here. What did it say basically, please?
    He just rambles about RIM, the lawsuit and ruling not really being important to him, since it's not a final verdict. The differences between Palm devices and Blackberries, etc.

    Goes on to kiss Microsofts ***...

    Looks at Apple as a competitor (ipods v. TX, Treos, etc.)

    They might decide that “I really want e-mail and I want all the integrated functionality of a Treo and oh, by the way, I can also do an MP3 on that, too.” So in that sense, I think absolutely they are a competitor. Look, the iPod has been an incredible success and they did a great job of that.
    Doesn't agree that convergence is taking over, but has a definite future...

    Believes the Internet is the next "killer app" for handhelds...

    And then pats himself on the back for directing Palm.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5. #5  
    Thanks! Still won't download here.

    So he pats himself on the back for selling out to MSFT, interesting.

    And convergence IS taking over, what's he been looking at? Did he see the new MP3 phones? And why'd he release the Lifedrive if he believed that?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    Hey its about making money and gaining market share. If Palm OS based Treo's could get the corp customers they wouldn't have add WMoS to the mix. There is also ZERO guarantee that PoS users are going to like the next PoS to be released, it could just suck and no one on the PoS side has admitted this, makes me wonder why.

    As a former PoS user I would have stayed if PoS would have picked up the pace and moved it along, but they didn't and they still haven't.
  7. #7  
    The market is also glutted with WM devices, some with the lastest features. And Palm enters with one that has nothing much new over the 650(oh yeah, you get to add wi-fi by card ), and supposedly has lower screen resolution than the 650(has this been confirmed though?). That made a lot of sense if true.

    I hope the BB crowd falls for it or Palm is finished with phones, and should just keep making PDAs. Those are great! Don't know what the problem is with Treos though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #8  
    I read the article too and have to admit that for all of the points raised here, its the non-Treo/Nkia 770 sounding one that mkes the most fun towards me. I just hope they fix teh browser and resolution whether or not it uses a celular data connection to make life seemless.

    Lady Treo;
    I work in a county gov office where everyone has a BB but wants a Treo. Their main problem is that it is an MS shop, the people only like Windows (can't figure out PalmOS at all, really ); and the WM Treo is not that far past them. They will suck it up like flies on honey, and most other offices will too. Yes, we really do have gov't that make decisions based on feel and familiarity and not quality and skill of use.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  9. #9  
    What do you think the chances of a delay are with BB Connect coming out with the RIM lawsuit going on?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Lady Treo;
    I work in a county gov office where everyone has a BB but wants a Treo. Their main problem is that it is an MS shop, the people only like Windows (can't figure out PalmOS at all, really ); and the WM Treo is not that far past them. They will suck it up like flies on honey, and most other offices will too. Yes, we really do have gov't that make decisions based on feel and familiarity and not quality and skill of use.
    If I, a simple consumer, can figure out Palm OS, anyone of average intelligence should be able to also. too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #11  
    Lady Treo,

    I don't think figuring out Palm OS is the real issue. I've contracted in several companies where Windows Only is like a disease. It keeps everyone from IT to management blinded to better offerings from other companies.

    It's kind of like "Nobody ever gets fired for choosing IBM" on steroids: "You could get fired for choosing non-Microsoft"
  12. #12  
    This is interesting:

    "When you see our next-gen product, it has a high-speed radio in it, literally bringing kind of broadband connection speeds to the device. It totally changes the dynamic of how accessible the Internet is as an information access point wherever you are and whenever you want to get access to it.

    Everything from looking up the meaning of words, booking a table at OpenTable.com, to doing a Google search on my family history in Ireland as I’m driving through the Irish coast when we’re opening our center over there."

    Palm opened the centre in Ireland in October:

    http://news.zdnet.com/2110-1040_22-5919728.html

    So Ed was driving through Ireland with his next-gen broadband device two months ago? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$'$s$ $no$ $CDMA$ $in$ $network$ $there$ $so$ $may$ $be$ $Palm$ $has$ $had$ $a$ $working$ $3G$ $GSM$ $device$ $for$ $a$ $while$?
  13. #13  
    Maybe it's the Hollywood Treo some have been talking about on here.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101629
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Maybe it's the Hollywood Treo some have been talking about on here.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101629
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Holywood$ $rumour$ $first$ $appeared$ $in$ $Engadget$ $on$ $Nov$ $4$:

    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000107066688/

    so the timings match pretty well.

    “Hollywood will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US." - Sagio (quoted from Lady Treo's link above)

    and

    "Palm has opened a research and development center in Ireland focused on technologies and applications for Treo smart phones used by mobile operators in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Along with developing technologies such as 3G/UMTS (third generation/Universal Mobile Telecommunications System), the center would support mobile operators in certification processes, in the implementation of operator-specific services and in achieving high-quality assurance across European networks, Palm said." -ZDNet

    Could be that Ed was doing a bit of the testing himself. I'm a bit more hopeful now that the Engadget/Forbes/Sagio rumours might actually be reasonably accurate and we'll be seeing the Hollywood Treo sometime in the first half of 2006. If it's in europe first, well I'm not complaining
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    If I, a simple consumer, can figure out Palm OS, anyone of average intelligence should be able to also. too.
    Ms Ladi Treo;
    if only it were that simple. I'd be confused too, but I work here, they really, really, really cant figure simple things out. If it aint complex to all, then it aint simple to them.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Ms Ladi Treo;
    if only it were that simple. I'd be confused too, but I work here, they really, really, really cant figure simple things out. If it aint complex to all, then it aint simple to them.
    I find Apple counter-intuitive but POS simple. Perhaps I am left-brained, perhaps merely confused.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Holywood$ $rumour$ $first$ $appeared$ $in$ $Engadget$ $on$ $Nov$ $4$:

    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000107066688/

    so the timings match pretty well.

    “Hollywood will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US." - Sagio (quoted from Lady Treo's link above)

    and

    "Palm has opened a research and development center in Ireland focused on technologies and applications for Treo smart phones used by mobile operators in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Along with developing technologies such as 3G/UMTS (third generation/Universal Mobile Telecommunications System), the center would support mobile operators in certification processes, in the implementation of operator-specific services and in achieving high-quality assurance across European networks, Palm said." -ZDNet

    Could be that Ed was doing a bit of the testing himself. I'm a bit more hopeful now that the Engadget/Forbes/Sagio rumours might actually be reasonably accurate and we'll be seeing the Hollywood Treo sometime in the first half of 2006. If it's in europe first, well I'm not complaining
    I am just glad to hear that Ed is a citizen of the world. That bodes well for GSM/UMTS/Treo. Europe is not that far away. I can go there for the price of a Treo. I can buy a Treo in Paris, install my Cingular SIM in it and use it before I get home.
  18. #18  
    All these talks are well and good except Palm is so slow in releasing new device. I get the feeling this is THE corporate bean counter who pushed Palm to the wm5 direction. This guy is good with buying up current technology but does he has the vision to invest in new technology?

    Fine. Go ahead and use your wm5. Go ahead and have your media honeymoon. As soon as a smart phone with 4 gig of flash memory build in come out, I am dumping my Treo like a sack of potato. Apple Nokia Sony I don't care I am there.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    All these talks are well and good except Palm is so slow in releasing new device. I get the feeling this is THE corporate bean counter who pushed Palm to the wm5 direction. This guy is good with buying up current technology but does he has the vision to invest in new technology?

    Fine. Go ahead and use your wm5. Go ahead and have your media honeymoon. As soon as a smart phone with 4 gig of flash memory build in come out, I am dumping my Treo like a sack of potato. Apple Nokia Sony I don't care I am there.
    Some of us will buy the newest toy with no guilt and complain about how slow Palm is while others complain about the price of keeping up with the too frequent releases.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Some of us will buy the newest toy with no guilt and complain about how slow Palm is while others complain about the price of keeping up with the too frequent releases.
    Are you complaining the Palm phone releases are too frequent?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions