Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My big brother has always gotta spoil all the fun...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/10/te...lGyhWOeraG+Aww
    If you rape my sister then call to brag about it I am glad we will know where you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    If you rape my sister then call to brag about it I am glad we will know where you are.

Anyway...I wonder if there could be some sort of hack to disable the E911 chip functionality somehow? That would be interesting...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    <moved to general for now...might go OT depending on how discussion evolves )

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm certainly no fan of a fascist totalitarian state, but as a law abiding citizen, I'm happy to let law enforcement have access to any tool that will help catch the bad guys. I'm certain that the activist judges in this country will do their best to negate this possible advantage and return the upper hand in eluding capture to the criminals in this country.
    we will always have good guys and bad guys, if one guy does a crime and is caught (lets say by cell phone tracking) will that stop crime? criminals will just do without cell phones. i want world peace also, but its just not the nature of the beast. in order to have good there has to be evil. no more or less of either, there has to be balance. we can try to keep the balance as good upstanding citizens, but not give up our rights in the process. public cameras(street corners, parking lots), ok, track my every movement because i choose mobile communication, way over the top. yes it has sovled lots of crimes, but it hasnt prevented any. the answer lies in the prevention and so we are back to the struggle for balance. aint life grand
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I wouldn't say that it "hasn't prevented any [crimes]"... Whether through cell phone tracking, or public cameras, or through watching CSI and learning that every bad guy leaves some DNA behind and eventually gets busted - the threat of being caught must proactively prevent *some* crime. Maybe not a lot, but every little bit helps! I know that advanced radar gun technology proactively prevents the crime of "speeding" quite a bit when I'm driving...
    I don't agree with tracking without probable cause and a warrant. We need "activist" judges to remind law enforcement of the 4th Amendment.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    We need "activist" judges to remind law enforcement of the 4th Amendment.
    Agreed, but not to rewrite the laws to suit their own political or ideological persuausion. This goes for conservative as well as liberal judges. The constitution is meant to be interpreted through the judgement of educated judicial minds, not rewritten to effect social policy or change.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

Anyway...I wonder if there could be some sort of hack to disable the E911 chip functionality somehow? That would be interesting...
    you sir are right....what seemed like hard sarcasm looks much worse in the light of day. Sorry all.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    I'm certainly no fan of a fascist totalitarian state, but as a law abiding citizen, I'm happy to let law enforcement have access to any tool that will help catch the bad guys. I'm certain that the activist judges in this country will do their best to negate this possible advantage and return the upper hand in eluding capture to the criminals in this country.
    Which activist judges?
    I'm pretty sure you can disable it. I know you can do so with other non treo phones. I even think mine is as well because it has the cross hair with a line thru it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    Agreed, but not to rewrite the laws to suit their own political or ideological persuausion. This goes for conservative as well as liberal judges. The constitution is meant to be interpreted through the judgement of educated judicial minds, not rewritten to effect social policy or change.
    Ah...a strict constructionist. So no right to abortion, no right to privacy?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by xFilthyxJesusx
    I'm pretty sure you can disable it. I know you can do so with other non treo phones. I even think mine is as well because it has the cross hair with a line thru it.
    Oh yeah bro, you just push a button or two and you're instantly some kind of secret agent man. UNTRACEABLE!!! Are you a complete moron or was that some kind of sick and disturbing joke about how extremely dumb SOME people are? Because i am aware complete idiots DO exist!
  15.    #15  
    Sorry, that rant was uncalled for. I should not be so rude, maybe you just misunderstood big bro. I just wanted to point out that that type of na´ve thinking is dangerous to your general well-being, and that type of lackadaisical attitude is not generally beneficial to society either.

Just because you enable location priacy on your treo doesn't mean The man has been out-smarted and doesn't know where you roam.
  16.    #16  
    Oh jeezus... just when I thought things couldn't get any worse...

http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000843071941/
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xFilthyxJesusx
    It has little to do with the phone, and really, little to do with E911. The problem is that it is hard to regulate the "association" of data, ie, the tower knows where you are (obviously) and the company knows where the tower is. The only issue is linking the 2 pieces of data.

This is no different than using EZ-Pass to issue speeding tickets - they know the time thru each tollgate and the distance, it is simple math from there...

If most folks knew how much data was already available out there, they'd faint (my wife does debt-collection).

Seems like the fundamentals of the Constitution are more important than ever.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ps. I don't like your member name - freedom of speech for both of us I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    ps. I don't like your member name - freedom of speech for both of us I guess.

Most people don't..... But yes I suppose Freedom of Speech..... Yippie
    I don't know why us 'Treo law abiding citizens' would care about this anyways.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast