Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    why not put a hard drive in the 700w? I mean, if the Ipod can have 60GB, why can't we?
    Does anyone know why they don't do this?
    These are arguments I've heard against it. Portable hard drives can be easily damaged. Also slow. Just what I've read though. I can't confirm it through experience. But that's why Lifedrive supposedly didn't work as well as they thought it would.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    why not put a hard drive in the 700w? I mean, if the Ipod can have 60GB, why can't we?
    Does anyone know why they don't do this?
    I'm guessing due to the fact that hard drives have moving parts which are more likely to break than flash memory.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    If you're really thinking about 60 GB in the Treo, then size is the obvious answer. These mini-drives are about the size of a box of matches. Open up your Treo and figure out where to stuff it. The micro drives (4-6 GB) are better, but I think these are pretty close to cost equivalent with similarly sized flash memory these days.

Relatively delicate moving parts and battery life issues also rank high as to why we don't see hard drives in more mobile devices.

Honestly, once we see higher speed data (at least EV-DO like with the 700w), I'm pretty sure we'll see more solutions that either stream (bad for battery) or pre-download/cache (better) data/music to the device from a server somewhere, making these hard drives much less necessary.

Paul
    We have a discussion along this lines over in the Other Phones section that might add some to this discussion:

Flash or HDD? That's the Question
    Certainly mechanical microdrives are more fragile than flash memory. This "too fragile for mobile" argument keeps being made all over I think due to our memories of the very fragile HDDs in desktop computers from the 80s & 90s. Laptops spin em' like they are going outta style and nobody's worried. But the most compelling argument to me against the "too fragile" idea is that the Apple iPod has nearly taken over the world using primarily mini and micro HDDs. If too fragile was true, then every High School and College campus would not be swarming with these things.

Yes, they would certainly not make the Treo more durable, but I don't believe fragility is the deal killer. Cost, real estate and gas mileage are the deal killers at the moment. I think Samsung or another Asian maker has an HDD handset out, but it's a niche player. Not until the marketing department deals with the above three hurdles will the HDD hit the Treo line.

Flash memory devices are supperior in almost every way to HDD. Lower power, better durability, size and shape flexibility, and faster seek and transfers. But the larger sizes are still a bit pricy in comparison to HDD. Therefore, the "record player" lives on!
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    Cost, real estate and gas mileage are the deal killers at the moment. I think Samsung or another Asian maker has an HDD handset out, but it's a niche player.
    Regarding real estate. The Samsung i300 (WM Smartphone with 3GB HDD and QVGA screen)

Samsung i300 - 113 x 48 x 20 mm, 130 g

Treo 650 - 113 x 59 x 23 mm, 178 g

Size does not have to be an issue.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    Certainly mechanical microdrives are more fragile than flash memory. This "too fragile for mobile" argument keeps being made all over I think due to our memories of the very fragile HDDs in desktop computers from the 80s & 90s. Laptops spin em' like they are going outta style and nobody's worried. But the most compelling argument to me against the "too fragile" idea is that the Apple iPod has nearly taken over the world using primarily mini and micro HDDs.
    Hard drives are still fragile devices. I am a very frequent business traveller and I have to replace my hard drive about every year and a half just because my drive starts to wear out (audible whirring, blue screens, yadda yadda). I've got colleagues that don't do this, and their drives just up and die after about two years of heavy use. And I've heard very mixed messages about the durability of iPods. I think for every person I've heard that loves their iPod, I know at least one other person that is on their second refurbished device from Apple because of a failure related to the hard drive.

Thanks but no thanks on the HDD, I'll wait for a treo w/ gigs of flash memory. Plus, I can't give up the vibration feature for a silent ring or alarm.
    Thanks but no thanks on the HDD, I'll wait for a treo w/ gigs of flash memory. Plus, I can't give up the vibration feature for a silent ring or alarm.
    Agreed. A treo with 4GB Nand storage like the iPod Nano would be awesome!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by nehle
    Plus, I can't give up the vibration feature for a silent ring or alarm.
    Ha...I never even thought of that! Good point!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Ha...I never even thought of that! Good point!

I believe the Palm Lifdrive has vibrating alarms even though it has microHD, so that shouldn't be a limitation afaikafaikafaik...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I believe the Palm Lifdrive has vibrating alarms even though it has microHD, so that shouldn't be a limitation afaikafaikafaik...
    Hi gfunkmagic!

I heard it the other way around, that they left the vibration mode out of the LifeDrive due to the mini harddrive. . . . . . . .off to the Palm website. . . . did a search on vibrate and vibration in the LifeDrive Adobe PDF Manual . . . came up zero. . . . .

Hey, 6 more to 6,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/07/2005 at 07:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi gfunkmagic!

I heard it the other way around, that they left the vibration mode out of the LifeDrive due to the mini harddrive. . . . . . . .off to the Palm website. . . . did a search on vibrate and vibration in the LifeDrive Adobe PDF Manual . . . came up zero. . . . .

Hey, 6 more to 6,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Perry.

DOH, you're right! Good call there...my mistake!

14.    #14  
    interesting info. One thing I do recall reading somewhere was a 10gb sd card in the works. If that is true then there might not be a need for a hard drive
    And what will the price be? 10gig is a lot! And 2 gig is already at about $200 and up.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Actually 2 gigs are below a $100 right now at CompUSA.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    And what will the price be? 10gig is a lot! And 2 gig is already at about $200 and up.
    I have no idea.
    I am hoping that the new Treo 700s will have the SD slot or memory management ability (whichever is the issue--2GB is the Treo 650's current ability) to handle the forthcoming 4GB SD cards. . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo

Actually you can get a 2GB for about $100 bucks today:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=82502-14

And you can find 4GB SD card for about ~$250 online.

Furthermore prices will continue to drop and I bet within a few months 2GB card will come well down below $100 bucks and 4GB card below $200 as higher capacities are released...

Hopefully though, Palm will release a Fat32 update for the 650 so we can all use these larger cards! At min, they better make sure to support them in their next gen models at least like they do on the LD and Tx...

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I am hoping that the new Treo 700s will have the SD slot or memory management ability (whichever is the issue--2GB is the Treo 650's current ability) to handle the forthcoming 4GB SD cards. . . . . .
    I would hope so, my PPC-6600 released over a year ago will support the 4 gig cards that are currently out and available for around $250.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast