24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like EDGE

0 0%
  • No, Give me more speed

11 45.83%
  • I hate microsoft.

13 54.17%
  1.    #1  
    Cingular has just announced their rollout of a GSM G3 network based on HSDPA technology.

This is on par with Sprint and Verizon speed wise and we'll soon be seeing G3 GSM phones in the US.

But will the Hollywood Treo be G3 complient? Since Data is the killer app of the Treo and other smartphone I cannot see Palm leaving this out of the next Treo.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    That can be construed as a weird question seeing that unless you live somewhere in the area of an HSDPA rollout is happening, or about to happen, its a non-issue. And even if it is a non-issue for some, the year+ it might take to roll it out might make for a better Treo than Holloywood, a San Diego version maybe
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    If Palm is smart the reason for a delay in rolling our the new 700p may be due to this:

Initially, BroadbandConnect will be available only on laptops. But the company plans to announce handset support early in 2006, Ralph de la Vega, chief operating officer at Cingular, told journalists and analysts during a conference call on Tuesday. The company also plans to announce several new services in the next several weeks that will take advantage of the new network, he said. - news.com
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    That can be construed as a weird question seeing that unless you live somewhere in the area of an HSDPA rollout is happening, or about to happen, its a non-issue. And even if it is a non-issue for some, the year+ it might take to roll it out might make for a better Treo than Holloywood, a San Diego version maybe
    EVDO is in limited markets but is being rolled out left and right by Verizon and Sprint. This isn't stopping LG, Moto, and other phone makers from putting out EVDO handsets.

(nice joke btw)

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    The UMTS/HSDPA phones Cingular is prepping will be backwards-compatible to GSM. While it's not guaranteed, one would hope the same is true for smartphones. As other countries' GSM networks are still progressing too, trying to catch up with Europe, and Palm has gone with a quad-band antenna for 2 models now (the 600 and 650, of course) a GSM/UMTS/HSDPA model doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Plus, at least according to the rumors, Hollywood is supposed to help compete in Europe. They can't do that effectively with anything less than UMTS/HSDPA. Let's just hope they launch Hollywood running Palm OS (or two versions to have both Palm OS and WinMob 5).
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    The UMTS/HSDPA phones Cingular is prepping will be backwards-compatible to GSM. While it's not guaranteed, one would hope the same is true for smartphones. As other countries' GSM networks are still progressing too, trying to catch up with Europe, and Palm has gone with a quad-band antenna for 2 models now (the 600 and 650, of course) a GSM/UMTS/HSDPA model doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Plus, at least according to the rumors, Hollywood is supposed to help compete in Europe. They can't do that effectively with anything less than UMTS/HSDPA. Let's just hope they launch Hollywood running Palm OS (or two versions to have both Palm OS and WinMob 5).
    What are you smoking? This is Palm we're talking about. I'd bet Hollywood has 32mb ram, EDGE, (quad band at least), and bumped up to bluetooth 1.2. I'd even double the bet they'll really step out there and offer an SD card with a 1" stick out antennae for 802.11b support for only another $129.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    What are you smoking? This is Palm we're talking about. I'd bet Hollywood has 32mb ram, EDGE, (quad band at least), and bumped up to bluetooth 1.2. I'd even double the bet they'll really step out there and offer an SD card with a 1" stick out antennae for 802.11b support for only another $129.
    1) I was referring to others' predictions (some based on the Sagio report), not making fresh ones of my own. And while Palm has been conservative in the upgrades they've done plenty of times, I'd expect more from Hawkins, Colligan & co. than previous management. I'm not expecting the moon, though. Most of it may be small steps; every now and then, we get a bigger jump. I'm thinking (and hoping) we're due.

I think they realize that some significant part of their sales on new Treo models will be upgrades (whether this is people switching carriers and getting discounts, biting the bullet and getting it at retail price, or whatever) and that they have to make it a more compelling upgrade than some previous Palms have been.

2) RAM: It may depend on what OS(es) Hollywood runs. In that sense, the best thing may be both. The 700w and p are supposed to be the same, hardware-wise--making it easier to have one design and load the OS called for.

Also, the NVFS issue on the 650 (as originally released) may prompt them to put 64 MB in Hollywood as well as in the 700p. One would hope. Nothing to guarantee it, I agree. We'll find out.

3) EDGE vs HSDPA: Part of the reason Verizon has the exclusive on the 700w is EVDO--that they're much farther along than Sprint. Similarly, Cingular has launched UMTS/HSDPA in several cities already (18, as I recall) and should have it out nationwide next year. It's in carriers' interest to tout the speed of the network, so they want devicemakers to put out products that can use it.

So between working with Cingular (as the primary US GSM carrier) and other carriers worldwide that have already deployed UMTS and HSDPA, I think it makes perfect sense to expect Hollywood to support UMTS/HSDPA. Does that make it a given? No way.

As another example, I can't begin to count how many people (non-Treo users) have asked me if the 600 had Bluetooth (as recently as yesterday) or if there was a way to add it. Thinking of how for a while it was the only smartphone available (on GSM, in the US) at the time without Bluetooth. I am certain that Hawkins, Colligan & co. have learned from things like that.

I don't think anyone was seriously predicting built-in WiFi for Hollywood. I just hope peripherals (either a card or Enfora's sled) work. That was the one thing I really liked about the UC that doesn't seem to have been recreated with this multi-connector.

I feel like I'm in the same boat as Perry. I'm waiting for Hollywood, running Palm OS, with 64 MB RAM, and available at a roadshow. 1st half of calendar year 2006.
    I'll stand by my prediction. The only way Hollywood will be more advanced is if my earlier prediction in another thread is correct that we will ONLY see WM OS Treos from now on.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.