Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello. I have wanted a Treo for 10 years. I got a 650 a few months ago. I think I regret it and want to see if anyone can help me. I have my service through Verizon and use a POP3 email through my company right now. I only get email when I manually sync right now. That seems like a waste----I haven't been getting email in a timely manner. My IT guy said that he can enable IMAP for me----will this help? A few months back, I tried Chatter with my POP3 getting forwarded to Fusemail and then to my Treo---that wasn't too cool for me. But now that my IT guy says I can have IMAP, does anyone know if Chatter will work better for me now? Also, I use the phone a ton---and get about 100 emails a day. Will I be able to sustain battery power for a work day? Please help---like I said----I have wanted a Treo since my first Palm Pilot. Now I am wondering why. It looks cool, but I am not utilizing it to help me right now. I appreciate your experience and advice. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mvite
    Hello. I have wanted a Treo for 10 years. I got a 650 a few months ago. I think I regret it and want to see if anyone can help me. I have my service through Verizon and use a POP3 email through my company right now. I only get email when I manually sync right now. That seems like a waste----I haven't been getting email in a timely manner. My IT guy said that he can enable IMAP for me----will this help? A few months back, I tried Chatter with my POP3 getting forwarded to Fusemail and then to my Treo---that wasn't too cool for me. But now that my IT guy says I can have IMAP, does anyone know if Chatter will work better for me now? Also, I use the phone a ton---and get about 100 emails a day. Will I be able to sustain battery power for a work day? Please help---like I said----I have wanted a Treo since my first Palm Pilot. Now I am wondering why. It looks cool, but I am not utilizing it to help me right now. I appreciate your experience and advice. Thanks!
    How could you have wanted a Treo 10 years ago when Handspring hadn't even released the Visor until 1999???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    How could you have wanted a Treo 10 years ago when Handspring hadn't even released the Visor until 1999???
    Maybe he's psychic?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    How about....hang on, this is crazy talk coming at you....TRY IT!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  5.    #5  
    Sorry, I thought it was ten years. OK so I have wanted it for 6 years, three months, thirteen hours and 23 minutes. I guess I'm not so bummed that it won't work efficiently after all. HA!
    Research the mail client, Chatter for IMAP email. For longer battery life, check Efficient Sync under Chatter prefs.

Also, you should get a charging cable or cradle for work and try to keep the battery topped off to make it last the longest.

Finally, you get much more help around here if you look like you even tried to search for what you're asking.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks---and I really did search. I didn't just get the Treo, but I have gotten exhausted looking and trying to figure out where my topic is located. Again, I appreciate your advice. That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I AM going to try it as soon as my IT guy gets our ISP to open the firewall for IMAP (and I only know that from this board)---I can try. I was impatient and wanted to see if anyone could give me some good thoughts as you did. Thanks again.
    Mvite, did you turn on the auto sync feature in your versamail to retrieve emails automatically?
  9.    #9  
    Rome, I don't have Versamail enabled. I am currently using the standard Wireless Sync email handler through Verizon.
    Mvite, I am not familiar with Verizon's wireless Sync email app, but I have heard that it is quite difficult to set up correctly. It is essentially a rebranded intellisync product. Versamail only provides "pull" type of email delivery....you can have it set up to retrieve emails as frequently as every 5 minutes. I have been using versamail for more than a year now and the latest version works great for me. And it is free!!!

If you are looking for a pull email solution, versamail is not a bad place to start. Versamail works with both pop and imap protocol.
  11.    #11  
    Rome, Thanks for the suggestion. I never even looked at Versamail. It came installed on the phone but I deleted it due to having "Wireless Sync". Thanks again for the thought. I will do like a wise person named "Extra Ordinary Joe" suggested and TRY IT. Thanks again!
    Last edited by mvite; 12/06/2005 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Wrong name
    Versamail is pretty easy to set up. In case you run into troubles, there are many threads on TC and palm.com that cover versamail issues. Search and you will be rewarded.
    *semi-related question*
    I've had my Treo for almost a month, and I have been afraid to set up versamail because I read (or heard) somewhere that once you set it up, you can't change to a different email app. And I've seen a lot of "veramail stinks" posts, and I don't want to be stuck with it if it is that bad.

On waiting for the 700, I didn't think it would be a good idea to jump on the first generation of a device like that so I went with the 650, and I am thrilled with it, even with it's quirks.
    Rome, Thanks for the suggestion. I never even looked at Versamail. It came installed on the phone but I deleted it due to having "Wireless Sync". Thanks again for the thought. I will do like a wise person named "Extra Ordinary Joe" suggested and TRY IT. Thanks again!
    I'm pretty sure Joe was referring to Chatter, and NOT Versafail. You won't get many recommendations from people here to use it.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I'm sure you are tired of the assinine comeback comments, but I just gotta know...how did you delete Versamail when it's installed in ROM? Neat trick.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    I'm sure you are tired of the assinine comeback comments, but I just gotta know...how did you delete Versamail when it's installed in ROM? Neat trick.
    He has Verizon. They spare their users the misery by not including it in ROM. They put their own Wireless Sync email thing in ROM, and include Versafail on the CD.

versamail works perfect for me. does autosync for as many accounts as i like, if i like. it sends and receives with or without attachments. what else does one require? by the way, my treo got version 3.02c on it. maybe people using previous versions have bad experiences with versamail.
    by the way, i too have been waiting for nearly 10 years for the treo. ever since i had my first palm, i was imagining how wonderful it would be to have a telephone functionality in the device - and i knew that it'd be just a matter of time. now i am living my dream :-))
    Versamail works best for people who sync very little email. The more accounts you sync, the more frequently you use it, the more frequently it fails - and when it fails it fails miserably, frequent soft reboots followed by emptying the contents of all previously downloaded email. This particularly SUCKS if you are on a limited MB plan with a company like Verizon, as it is THEIR partner software that fails and - effectively - ups your MB usage by a significant amount, and on a regular basis.

If you don't mind rebuilding your Treo from scratch once or twice a month Versamail is THE program for you.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2

I can't get tired of comments that I don't understand. So I can say that I have wanted a Treo for 15 years and I delete from ROM all the time. I bet that would really blow all of your minds. And I wouldn't even get it. I just want a phone and email.
  20.    #20  
    Oh, I forgot to add. Ha, you don't even know that Verizon packages Versamail separately and that Wireless Sync is ROM. Ha---that's a neat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast