1.    #1  
    After much research ive decided to buy a sprint treo. I'll be getting it on tuesday and i cant wait. A few questions for when I get it:
    Are there any essential programs I should get for it soon after getting it?
    How important is a case and could you recommend one?
    How important is a screen protector?
    Does it have a hole for a lanyard?

thanks
    Definitely get VolumeCare!!! Best thing you can do for your Treo!!!

Welcome to the Treo Family... Hopefully!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Essential is relative...depends what you need it to do. You'll get lots of opinions in what is essential. That being said however, a good backup utility (such as Resco Backup) and an uninstall maanger (such as Uninstall Manager) are pretty common "essentials".

Get and SD card...size depends upon your needs and budget (up to 2 gb).

Cases are definitely preference oriented. Are you a holster kind of person? Horizontal pouch type? Vertical pouch type? Flap-over purse type (they annoy me, but hey...). High grade leather? Pleather ok? Hard palstic? You get the idea...search and ye shall find plenty of opinions and links...

Screen protector is a good idea. Scratches suck.

No hole for a lanyard. For better gripability, I recommend either a skin case or egrips.

As for volumecare...nothing against the app, I own it, but don't use it anymore....I recommend you use the device as-is for a bit to see what you think is missing. Read the manual...it really does have a lot of info. When you do start adding apps...go slow and make backups before-hand so you can easily revert if things go awry....which they eventually will.

Good luck.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Not to state the obvious but get the all you can eat Sprint data plan. It's the best price for the providers and you don't want to have to worry about data charges.
    This is the most essential thing you need right now:

Clicky
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by tcens
    Are there any essential programs I should get for it soon after getting it?
    The first link in Perry's post is the best resource.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/s...ead.php?t=75871
    How important is a case and could you recommend one?
    IMO, very. You are investing in a fairly expensive phone/PDA. I personally have no regrets in my Vaja T65 purchase. Depending on what you're looking for.... pouch, skin, flip cover the list can go on. Take a look at all the dif cases this site has in its store, choose the ones that catch your fancy and then let the search tool in this discussion forum be your research guide. Tons of reviews......

How important is a screen protector?
    Main part of the Treo which you look at and use the most. It'd be unpleasant to look at scratches all the time wouldn't it?

Does it have a hole for a lanyard?
    You can purchase a case that has one.

The only advice I can give is to read a little more before committing to any purchase. There tends to be a learning curve with software and accessories when it comes to the Treo. You could end up paying 3 times as much because most of everything for the Treo is "use first to see if you like it." and with bluetooth headsets and cases, you gotta buy 'em first to try 'em.

Congrats on the Treo. You def. hit the right site for help and information.... we all did.
    Last edited by arabian; 12/05/2005 at 01:42 AM.
  7.    #8  
    I just got the treo 650 tuesday night. I'm not that amazed by it so far but it will probably get much better as i add applications (i havent added any yet) and get an sd card. A few questions:

Why do people need backupbuddy? doesnt hotsync already make backups incase anything happens to it?
    Whats the need for an uninstall manager? cant u just remove it?
    Is there any way to lighten or darken the picture when your taking it?
    And i cant figure out why all the applications cost so damn much. It's 20$ for simple games like tetris.

Thanks for the help
    BackupBuddy works if you're traveling or not near the PC which you hotsync to...

Uninstall manager helps delete some of the database files that may or may not be deleted when you delete an application.

$20 is ludicrous. Most of the necessary apps are free.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  9.    #10  
    some please help:
    the amber led light is on in the front. I looked up wat it meant and it said it means an application is running in the background but I can't figure out wat application it is. Is there any way to figure this out?

thanks
    several regular phones -> sidekick 2 -> treo 650 -> hopefully 700p
  10.    #11  
    some one please help me with this ^
    some please help:
    the amber led light is on in the front. I looked up wat it meant and it said it means an application is running in the background but I can't figure out wat application it is. Is there any way to figure this out?

thanks
    Since the Treo is "Always on" the led will be lit here and there. That's the answer I got from the VZW store. If you're email is set up to retrieve without you manually doing so, it could be it. As to finding out what exact software is connecting?.... I personally don't know of a way. Maybe this post and bump will get the attention of someone who does know.