1.    #1  
    I just got my Treo 650 today and want to get started right. I have the cd that came with it, but I have a version of Palm Desktop on my laptop already that I use with a Palm Tungsten E. Someone suggested I make a different username to sync, but would it just be better to delete the palm desktop I've got and start from scratch or will the new software update the version I've got...?

Thanks.
    Are you replacing the Tungsten E with the 650 or using both? Your answer will determine my answer,

Either way, yes -- install the desktop from the 650 cd -- it puts things into place for the 650 and can be done right over the top of the existing desktop.

Cheers, Perry
    You cannot just sync your 650 to your Tungsten E userid, You need to do a clean install. Some 3rd party software settings from the E will not work well on the 650.

Do a last sync with the E and then follow these clean install instructions, if you want to replace the E and use the same userid on the 650:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=clean+install
    see post #3

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/03/2005 at 11:00 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Are you replacing the Tungsten E with the 650 or using both? Your answer will determine my answer,

Either way, yes -- install the desktop from the 650 cd -- it puts things into place for the 650 and can be done right over the top of the existing desktop.

Cheers, Perry
    Thanks for the reply -- I am replacing the Tungsten E --

So you are saying I can just install the new stuff right over the top of what I've got...?

MG
    Yes --You can install the Palm Desktop for 650, right over the top of the current installation.

Then follow the link above for a clean transfer of your PIM data to the 650.

Cheers, Perry
  6.    #6  
    I use Agendus - will that change anything?

Where do I create a new username or does it come up in the new installation process?

mg

P.S. THANKS so much for your help...

P.S.S. Got any good recommendations for Push Email ?
    Not familiar with Agendus.

When you sync your 650 for the first time -- you will be asked if you want to sync to a new or exisiting id.

Another way to do this is:

Sync the 650 to a new userid.
    Install Agendus to the 650
    Beam your PIM data to the 650 from the E
    (select by category, then select all to do a mass migration)
    Then you will have your PIM data on the 650
    then install the remaining 3rd party software you desire fresh onto the 650 (not from a backup --backups from a prior device can contain confusing settings for the 650)

I use VersaMaill, which is pull. Check out the ChatterMail and Snappermail threads in the Communications sections.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/03/2005 at 11:26 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks again... that's what I was thinking I should do...

I think instead of beaming, once I get Agendus on my treo and sync again, all my data will get synced to my treo from my Outlook program....

MG
    Enjoy!