1.    #1  
    What time of the year do wireless companies offer the most rebates/price cuts? If its not possible to forecast, is it possible to estimate pricing trends when a new phone comes out? For example, say the Samsung model 100 comes out in January, and the Samsung model 101 comes out March. Will prices be lowest once the new phone is in the store or would it be lower a few weeks before the new phone hit the store? The theory behind price dropping before the new phone comes out would be to blow out old stock while not creating an issue with the new phone - why buy the new phone when you can get last year's for half the cost?

I'm really interested in a Treo650. I've been with Cingular for a while, and I am out of contract. That said, I'm satisfied with the service so far. I have done some research and I am pretty sure Verizon will be offering a newer version of the Treo in January.

The best deal I can find right now is a Treo for 319.99 (2yr contract on voice and a 3month unlimited data transfer contract @ ~40 bucks/mo) which includes a $50 rebate.

Any one have any thoughts on this?

This is a 1/2 want 1/2 need buy. I'm not crayz about spending 400 bucks on a device, then another 50 on applications, and another 50 on a case, headset, and more on an SD card . However, I like what the treo650 has to offer. That's another thread tho .

Ryan
    Look around some more....

For example: https://mytreo.net/store/product.php...27780beaf7e791

In general, yes prices do drop before a new phone is released.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    My Sprint Store is offering the Treo 650 for $250 with a 2 year contract.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info. It looks like the best deals I can find are only for starting up a completely new plan (New number, service, family share, etc). The 319 deal from Cingular doesn't seem so bad right now :-/.

I'm happy with Cingular and I like my monthly voice plan. A large number of my minutes are spent with other Cingular customers. IOW, I can keep a cheaper plan by sticking with Cingular.

Ryan
    If you call cingular and ask them about pricing, and tell them you can get a better deal by switching, they might match the deal you can get. They will still require you to sign a new contract of course....and probably a new plan, but you'll get the cheaper price on the phone.

Good Luck.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the input. I think I will see what the best deal I can get form Cingular will be. Feels like buying a car almost!

Ryan