Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After much thinking and haggling, I've decided to go with a Treo.

I picked up a 1GB SD Card on Black Friday for $39, I thought that was quite the deal for my non-existant Treo .

Here is the deal I ended up getting:
    $499
    -100 Service Credit
    - 75 Qualified for 1 year phone replacement with 2yr renewal
    - 50 Palm Rebate
    ------------
    $274

If I sell them my 8200, it'll be $224.

I'm picking up the new logo'd Treo, so I assume it will have the latest firmware?

I'm also aware that I should pick up screen protectors soon.

I know that there are a lot of read first threads, etc. But, I thought I would say hello and ask for any recommendations first hand.

Thanks
    Welcome aboard to T/C, chanc! Looking forward to help you with your Treo!
    Welcome!

There is one screen protector included in the box. Some people don't like the Palm brand ones, but I don't have a problem with them.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chanc

I picked up a 1GB SD Card on Black Friday for $39, I thought that was quite the deal for my non-existant Treo .

$499
    -100 Service Credit
    - 50 Palm Rebate
    ------------
    $274

I'm picking up the new logo'd Treo, so I assume it will have the latest firmware?

I know that there are a lot of read first threads, etc. But, I thought I would say hello and ask for any recommendations first hand.

Thanks
    As Matt said there is a screen protector that comes with the Treo. You forgot to mention what suggestions you are looking for(i.e. software, acc., headsets. etc.).
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the welcome .

As for BT headsets, I'm just going to get a Logitech Headset, I have a friend that works for them.

I'm really looking for suggestions on must have software and tweaks.
    Thanks for the welcome .

As for BT headsets, I'm just going to get a Logitech Headset, I have a friend that works for them.

I'm really looking for suggestions on must have software and tweaks.
    If you ask ten people their "Must Haves", you'll get ten different answers. A lot depends on you, and what you want out of your Treo.

There are some apps that make more sense for most than others, like FileZ (which is free.)

It's a bazillion pages long, but look here for what people use.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    If you ask ten people their "Must Haves", you'll get ten different answers. A lot depends on you, and what you want out of your Treo.

There are some apps that make more sense for most than others, like FileZ (which is free.)

It's a bazillion pages long, but look here for what people use.
    Thank you for the quick link reference. I've gone through that thread a bit so I'll have to check it out more.

I'm a noob to the Treo, but not a noob to technology, so hopefully I'll catch on quickly .

Thanks again.
    Last edited by chanc; 12/01/2005 at 02:15 AM.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Thank you for the quick link reference. I've gone through that thread a bit so I'll have to check it out more.

I'm a noob to the Treo, but not a noob to technology, so hopefully I'll catch on quickly .

Thanks again.
    We can help you if you steer us in the right direction. Your phone/pda that you have bought can do quite alot, and when I say alot I mean it. I think the first prudent question to ask is what is your profession? I ask because I deal with equipment and finance quite a bit and I find "Loan Calc" indispensable. I also find Docs2Go for a quick reference to the "Stark Law" very valuable. For example if a doc ask me what is the minimal time he can spend in a office and have it be legal, I can search for those keywords and have answer for them within' seconds. Just an example but you can see where I am going with it.

I guess, and I hate to say it, more info!!!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    We can help you if you steer us in the right direction. Your phone/pda that you have bought can do quite alot, and when I say alot I mean it. I think the first prudent question to ask is what is your profession? I ask because I deal with equipment and finance quite a bit and I find "Loan Calc" indispensable. I also find Docs2Go for a quick reference to the "Stark Law" very valuable. For example if a doc ask me what is the minimal time he can spend in a office and have it be legal, I can search for those keywords and have answer for them within' seconds. Just an example but you can see where I am going with it.

I guess, and I hate to say it, more info!!!
    Wow, that's awesome.

I am in an IT Director position with a small company. Job entails more than the title says, but it's not as involved as most positions would be.

I would like to have access to AOL Instant Messenger and MSN Messenger.

I will need to open Office documents, typical email issues if I'll be out of the office for a duration of time. My laptop (Inspiron 9800) is also BT so hopefully they will be able to sync.

I guess I'll just have to see what's out there and best for me. Sounds like what you use works great for you. It's hard to know what you want when you aren't sure what's available haha.

Also need to find out the best way to pull my address book from my Sanyo 8200 .

So many questions! Thanks again.

$499
    -100 Service Credit
    - 50 Palm Rebate
    ------------
    $274

Thanks
    My wife needs a replacement for her Sprint Sanyo phone. Is your 8200 on sprint?

If so, let me know the condition as I may be interested.

Thanks,

MM
    For IM, I use Verichat. There are a couple other good choices. Mytreo.net did a good story on IM apps for Treo. You should check it out.

Directory Assistance is a must have for Treo as well, and it is a freeware!

Welcome to TC.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by murph71
    My wife needs a replacement for her Sprint Sanyo phone. Is your 8200 on sprint?

If so, let me know the condition as I may be interested.

Thanks,

MM
    Well, it's not in the greatest condition. I've torn it apart a few times. I mean it works great, but I think you'd be better off with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    For IM, I use Verichat. There are a couple other good choices. Mytreo.net did a good story on IM apps for Treo. You should check it out.

Directory Assistance is a must have for Treo as well, and it is a freeware!

Welcome to TC.
    I'll search for the IM Apps Article.

That Directory Assistance sounds good, I'm just used to texting 46645 (Google) for directory assistance .

Another question I have is, what apps can be stored on the SD card and what can't? Will it differentiate in the description of the app?
    Just be careful when applying the included screen protector as it will lift your fingerprint off even if you just try to pry a tiny bit of the edge of the protector off the backing. I just got my Boxwave screen protector today and it's excellent. They made installation so easy compared to the included one which by the way you also have to cut to fit the Treo 650.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Just be careful when applying the included screen protector as it will lift your fingerprint off even if you just try to pry a tiny bit of the edge of the protector off the backing. I just got my Boxwave screen protector today and it's excellent. They made installation so easy compared to the included one which by the way you also have to cut to fit the Treo 650.
    The one in the box isn't precut ?
    The one in the box isn't precut ?
    No. It's a generic protector, with cut out lines for different Palm devices.

FWIW, I've had my 650 for a bit less than a year, probably 50 weeks or so, and have had that same screen protector on it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    No. It's a generic protector, with cut out lines for different Palm devices.

FWIW, I've had my 650 for a bit less than a year, probably 50 weeks or so, and have had that same screen protector on it.
    Right on, I guess I'll have to take some time doing it.

Another question.

How can I avoid resets (if possible), is this something that is happening with lightly modified 650's or all of them?
    When cutting the protector, cut just a tiny little bit inside the cutting guide for the Teo 650. If you cut beyond the inner border of the guide, the screen protector won't leave room to remove it easily and it also is gonna be a little wide causing it to slide between the screen and body of the Treo. That has been known to cause digitizer issues.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    When cutting the protector, cut just a tiny little bit inside the cutting guide for the Teo 650. If you cut beyond the inner border of the guide, the screen protector won't leave room to remove it easily and it also is gonna be a little wide causing it to slide between the screen and body of the Treo. That has been known to cause digitizer issues.
    Got ya. I can't believe it isn't precut though, haha.
  19.    #19  
    I just downloaded CCLite for MSN and Toccer for AIM.

Hopefully these will do well.
    Last edited by chanc; 12/02/2005 at 07:08 PM.
    Yeah, kinda sux that they can't even give use one that's already sized for the 650.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast