1.    #1  
    Do you have to leave your Treo connection open all the time for IMAP email to work? If so is this safe? Do any of you do this everyday?
    I bought it but had to stop using it. It just drove my Treo crazy. The problems I had were

1) Wore the battery down at a tremendous rate
    2) Thus creating a lot of low memory conditions from which the Tre0 650 has trouble recovering (lots of resets and data loss)
    3) Sent most of my calls direct to voicemail. I know everyone says 'A voice call pauses data', I found this not to be the case on Sprint. When chatter was doing its business calls went to voicemail for the most part.

It's one awesome app though, I highly recommend it, I just had some bad experiences that were more general to Treo and that Chatter highlighted.

That said, my Treo is headed for the junk heap. Back to BlackBerry for me. I need a longer battery life and a more reliable PHONE now that we have a new baby. Bummer, I bought a ton of apps for that thing!

John-

Quote Originally Posted by mjferguson
    Do you have to leave your Treo connection open all the time for IMAP email to work? If so is this safe? Do any of you do this everyday?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Siberian -

There are 2 ways to immediately help improve your Sprint T650 woes (i know as I use them myself):

1) If you want to maintain online status so you can still receive push'd email in Chatter, go to Preferences>Connections and check "Efficient Sync". By choosing this you will cut down by 50% or more the "active data" activity that occurs in Chatter with Sprint CDMA. With less active data (or green arrow mode) and more dormant data (grey arrow mode) you will receive more calls and use up less of your battery. I use Efficient Sync when I am traveling and won't be able to charge my Treo for 8 hours or more.

2) Put all of your mail folders in offline mode, and then schedule timed qsyncs to retrieve your mail. Make sure that under Preferences>Connections you have checked "Disconnect if all mailboxes offline". This feature will disconnect the data mode and you will receive 100% of your calls. This solution works well for people who are ok with checking their email every 15 - 30 minutes, which for most people is sufficient.

Don't give up on Chatter and the T650 so quickly, it is a much richer application than BB and b/w Chatter, DTG 8.0 with pdf reading capability, Ringo (your own mp3's as your ringtone), Directory Assistant (mapquest, yellow pages to/from your address book), Shark Msg (this a great freeware app) there is so much more that you can do with a Treo than a BB. Good luck.
    All the above being said, if you have a GSM treo and chatter, getting 12 to 16 hours while running Chatter in always on mode is not unusual for me. I also commonly run Verichat in always on (data) mode.

The data only comes to the treo via push, so you aren't really opening up your treo to 'the world', just to the IMAP server that is sending the mail notifications to you ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Siberian -

There are 2 ways to immediately help improve your Sprint T650 woes (i know as I use them myself):

1) If you want to maintain online status so you can still receive push'd email in Chatter, go to Preferences>Connections and check "Efficient Sync". By choosing this you will cut down by 50% or more the "active data" activity that occurs in Chatter with Sprint CDMA. With less active data (or green arrow mode) and more dormant data (grey arrow mode) you will receive more calls and use up less of your battery. I use Efficient Sync when I am traveling and won't be able to charge my Treo for 8 hours or more.

2) Put all of your mail folders in offline mode, and then schedule timed qsyncs to retrieve your mail. Make sure that under Preferences>Connections you have checked "Disconnect if all mailboxes offline". This feature will disconnect the data mode and you will receive 100% of your calls. This solution works well for people who are ok with checking their email every 15 - 30 minutes, which for most people is sufficient.

Don't give up on Chatter and the T650 so quickly, it is a much richer application than BB and b/w Chatter, DTG 8.0 with pdf reading capability, Ringo (your own mp3's as your ringtone), Directory Assistant (mapquest, yellow pages to/from your address book), Shark Msg (this a great freeware app) there is so much more that you can do with a Treo than a BB. Good luck.
    Siberian, I'd like to add to this that the advice above is really good and will really improve your performance. I keep two folders online and QSync the rest. The mail in the offline folders remains accessible and I still get new messages as soon as they hit my Inbox.

Regarding the crashes, what are the errors you get? You may be correct that Chatter is exposing a problem your Treo has (as opposed to Chatter being the problem). In my experience both Chatter and VeriChat would access a bad portion of my Treo memory and cause crashes within a minute of me using the programs. Even with those apps disabled, the crashes would occur but less frequently. To narrow the problem down, I used a program called CrashPro that gave me the specific errors (dialing ##377# was not always useful) and from that I was able to get a replacement 650. Since then my Treo has been a dream.

Don't give up yet, especially if you like the Treo and have so much invested. Let us know the specific errors you are getting after the crashes.
    As another GSM user, I would echo the battery life (I can usually go more than 12 hours w/o charging and still have over 30% battery left, unless I've done many voice calls) and data impact. I, too, use a few online mailboxes (for push) and the rest are offline and qsynced at various intervals.

I am also a regular user of VeriChat in data always-on mode. I have found that the latest 1.1.4 (chatter) and 2.89b (verichat) versions are fairly stable. Most of the issues I have now are very clearly in the Verichat camp, but I still only get maybe a crash or two a week as a result.

One thing that I should definitely point out about chatter versus others like versamail is its ability to store message data on an installed SD card (directly). I think Snapper can do this now, too, but it's a huge benefit in terms of keeping more of your mail available to you *and* saving RAM on your Treo.
    I have read all the advice (I especially like the part about "efficient sync") and I am replying so that I can be subscribed to this thread - when I get home I am going to print this off.
    I am awaiting my new/refurbished Treo and when it comes I cannot wait to load Chatter back on. I am one of those unfortunate souls with the bad memory and the dreaded chunk overlock/MMNotify crash issues. I had to take Chatter and Verichat off (the resets every 3-5 mins were driving me crazy) and I hate having to use VersaDUD. So I eagerly await word from my local Sprint store that it is in and I can come swap.
    It is true that Chatter does cause increased battery drain (even with one folder sync'd I was down to 70% by noon) I love the program and features so much it is worth it to me to carry an extra battery and charge it up at work in the afternoon.
    Verichat is fun but I can live without it...
    ;-) Mary
    chatter rocks
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Llynx -

Efficient sync helps alot but don't expect to see GSM like battery performance. You're more likely to see a 25% - 40% improvement in CDMA battery life (ie. from 6 -7 hours to 9 - 10 hours at a minimum).
    Forgive me for not reading all the post. I just wanted to add that I use chatter with IMAP but set it to sync only every 15 minutes. Chatter is the best email app available, IMAP has advantages and you dont have to stay connected to take advantage of what this setup offers.

Q'sync every 30 while asleep is perfect for me.
    Llynx -

Efficient sync helps alot but don't expect to see GSM like battery performance. You're more likely to see a 25% - 40% improvement in CDMA battery life (ie. from 6 -7 hours to 9 - 10 hours at a minimum).
    Hey I would be happy with that!
    I'll give the Efficient Sync a shot (my Blackberry is still on order).

I bought my Treo the day they were released and have really enjoyed it but the straight to voicemail, crashing under low battery conditions and horrible battery life have really spoiled it for me.

Thx for the info, I'll definently play with it and see what it gets me though.

Siberian -

You will also want to make sure you have the latest version of Chatter, I believe Marc has found a source of "turbodrain" and has done something to lessen or eliminate it.

Tom