1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am thinking of switching to a Treo 650. Email is important with my job when I'm on the go and that's why I'm using a Blackberry right now. My question is the TREO 650 have similar Push Email? Do you have to "Log On" to the wireless connection to retrieve emails or you are always connected to retrieve real time email such as the Blackberry. I remember my first PDA Phone (T-Mobile Pocket PC), you had to log onto the wireless connection to retrieve emails. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ashley
    Welcome to TC.

It depends completely upon your email server used for work. If you're using exchange, and the IMAP port is open to the internet, then yes, you can get push email. I think you can get it with OWA access now too. Check out Chattermail. If you're using Lotus Notes, then currently the answer is no, you cannot get push email, but the blackberry client is SUPPOSED to finally be released in January...we'll see about that one. If you're using another email server, you need IMAP access available. For more info....search these forums...TONS of info on this topic. Good luck!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley
    Hi,

I am thinking of switching to a Treo 650. Email is important with my job when I'm on the go and that's why I'm using a Blackberry right now. My question is the TREO 650 have similar Push Email? Do you have to "Log On" to the wireless connection to retrieve emails or you are always connected to retrieve real time email such as the Blackberry. I remember my first PDA Phone (T-Mobile Pocket PC), you had to log onto the wireless connection to retrieve emails. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ashley
    Yes Chatter is available for you now, and word is early '06 blackberry and Palm will finally release the Blackberry app. for push.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    To answer your question regarding email: there are generally two types of email delivery - push and pull. Blackberry and Good use server-based push and the built-in Versamail app on the Treo currently uses pull. Either way, you don't need to log on and retrieve emails; it is done automatically. Your treo internet connection is always on.

Treo supports almost all major email apps (blackberry coming in January 2006), so it really depends what works for you and your company. You may want to talk with your IT department and ask them which email app they will support.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Versamail works well for Exchange ActiveSync (and pretty much nothing else). You will get email and calendar sync.

If you have unlimited SMS, I used to bounce email to the sms address and would receive it immediately, then use SnapperMail to download any messages I needed to see.