Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I bought my Treo 600 in November 2003 and held back buying Treo 650 when it came out because I wanted more in the specs and thought I'd wait for the next generation. It's almost December 2005 and there's not even rumours of new Palm OS Treos (fake-like Sagio reports aside). This is so disappointing. With no new Palm OS Treo in sight, the Treo 650 spec doesn't look all that bad to me now. Guess I'll just swallow my pride and buy it.

Heck!! What's so difficult with upgrading the specs at least once a year? All mobile phone manufacturers do it. Now, I don't even bother if they still put in Palm OS Garnet in the upgraded Treo. Just increase the memory to 64/128Mb, put in 1.3 Mp camera, call it 650i (i for incremental upgrade), and I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Just release a new Treo already!!! (ok, others in my wishlist are 3G, built-in wi-fi, 3.5mm audio, antenna-less, thinner and lighter)

You can call me Treo-freak (Palm OS only!!)
    try searching. lol
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Because they were afraid it would complicate their christmas season, Palm has delayed the new Treo til January and it probablly only appear on Sprint.

Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Searching? Try reading the other active threads in the SAME FORUM YOU POSTED IN!!!!!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by emy_77
    Heck!! What's so difficult with upgrading the specs at least once a year? All mobile phone manufacturers do it. Now, I don't even bother if they still put in Palm OS Garnet in the upgraded Treo. Just increase the memory to 64/128Mb, put in 1.3 Mp camera, call it 650i (i for incremental upgrade), and I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Just release a new Treo already!!! (ok, others in my wishlist are 3G, built-in wi-fi, 3.5mm audio, antenna-less, thinner and lighter)

I am in the same boat. If I would have had more experience with WM I would have switched to the darkside already.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I bought my Treo 600 in November 2003 and held back buying Treo 650 when it came out because I wanted more in the specs and thought I'd wait for the next generation. It's almost December 2005 and there's not even rumours of new Palm OS Treos (fake-like Sagio reports aside). This is so disappointing. With no new Palm OS Treo in sight, the Treo 650 spec doesn't look all that bad to me now. Guess I'll just swallow my pride and buy it.

Because Palm wants to gut you for as much money as possible. Glad to know they are building up a significant hate group as well. If they every upgraded to your 650i there is no question they would change all the connectors so you'd have to buy all new accessories. Sure it's easy but as far as you are concerned, you're nothing but a consumer to be crapped upon.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Because Palm wants to gut you for as much money as possible. Glad to know they are building up a significant hate group as well. If they every upgraded to your 650i there is no question they would change all the connectors so you'd have to buy all new accessories. Sure it's easy but as far as you are concerned, you're nothing but a consumer to be crapped upon.
    Ouch! Someone a little cranky today?
    I have a question. Do PPCs do the same thing, or is what came with one unit good for another? Same manufacturer and line, of course.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I have a question. Do PPCs do the same thing, or is what came with one unit good for another? Same manufacturer and line, of course.
    ????

Could you ask that another way. I'm not getting what you're asking?
    Accessories? It depends on the manufacturer. My PPC6700 uses a standard mini-USB connector for sync and charge. As far as I know, all (or at least most) HTC manufactured PPC's (iMate Jam, K-Jam, Jasjar, etc...) do as well.

Other PPC manufacturers (HP, for example) might not do it this way.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Yes, accessories, sorry. I wanted to know if the accessories for one would work on another from the same manufacturer and line. Slinky had me wondering when he said if Palm upgrades, they change the connectors so you have to buy new accessories. I was wondering if PPCs did the same thing. I think Phurth almost answered what I need to know. Thanks Phurth!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes, accessories, sorry. I wanted to know if the accessories for one would work on another from the same manufacturer and line. Slinky had me wondering when he said if Palm upgrades, they change the connectors so you have to buy new accessories. I was wondering if PPCs did the same thing. I think Phurth almost answered what I need to know. Thanks Phurth!
    No problem. It boils down to who the manufacturer is. I know that HP is very much like Palm in that they are always changing connectors (I don't want to be a cynic, but there's no valid technological reason why they should do this...).
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Oh no, they do exactly the same thing. Fujitsu Siemens Corp for example just turned the cradle connector 180 degrees between the Loox 600 and the Loox 720. Cradles sell at 10% or more of the cost of the actual PDA, and cables 5%, with huge margins, so they would hate to kill the accessories market. One difference is that most PPC's come with cradles when you buy them, and most other things are bluetooth these days, which are easily transferable. Also most expansion before then was via Compact Flash or SDIO, which obviously does not change. However you will be screwed wherever you go. At least on the PPC side they dont keep telling you its to implement new functionality.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 11/26/2005 at 05:20 PM.
    Well at least we can't blame Palm for it all.

I doubt that Palm will change its current connector design any time soon. Other than the entry-level Z22 and the consumer-oriented Z72(discontinued?), all current models of Palm use the same "Athena" connector.
    I don't necessarily think its a bad thing if they change connectors. It would help them in the PRPRPR $department$ $that$ $if$ $they$ $do$ $change$ $connectors$, $they$ $make$ $it$ $very$ $obvious$ $why$ $they$ $are$ $changing$ $them$ ($i$.$e$. $your$ $treo$ $will$ $last$ $longer$ $unplugging$/$plugging$ $in$ $the$ $unit$, $etc$.)

If they are doing it only for the money (Im not saying that they don't) then they need to be extra creative.

(BTW-I think the plug on the 650 sucks compared to the 600)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I don't necessarily think its a bad thing if they change connectors. It would help them in the PRPRPR $department$ $that$ $if$ $they$ $do$ $change$ $connectors$, $they$ $make$ $it$ $very$ $obvious$ $why$ $they$ $are$ $changing$ $them$ ($i$.$e$. $your$ $treo$ $will$ $last$ $longer$ $unplugging$/$plugging$ $in$ $the$ $unit$, $etc$.)

If they are doing it only for the money (Im not saying that they don't) then they need to be extra creative.

(BTW-I think the plug on the 650 sucks compared to the 600)
    Obviously they changed the connectors so that they can change them again and the PRPRPR $department$ $can$ $say$ $that$ $the$ $connectors$ $have$ $been$ $upgraded$. $Funny$ $how$ $that$ $works$.

Yeah... I'm cranky because I realized I have a closet full of Treo 600 accessories that cost me hundreds and are unsuable for no good reason except for the reason posted. Frustrating man...
    Try selling to a 600 user? There's still a lot left, looking at this forum. You'll probably eat the value(everyone wants a deal), but at least you won't have to look at them anymore.

I'm beginning to think it's good that all I bought was a case for the 650 and nothing else! Although I may still get another charger.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/28/2005 at 01:18 AM.

It's almost December 2005 and there's not even rumours of new Palm OS Treos (fake-like Sagio reports aside). This is so disappointing. (Palm OS only!!)
    Quite surprised that you dismissed the Sagio report. Sagio really does own 5% of Palm stock and this gives them leverage with Andrew Brown, with analysts and also with Inventec and HTC to gather viable information about upcoming Treos. The fellow at Sagio responsible for the report, who I have communicated with, is very much on the level, imo.

I thought it amusing that you were so anxious for a Treo 700P rumor and when one fell into your leap from a credible source that is a 5% owner of Palm stock, you dismissed it as if they had zero credibility. Is it possible, you are conflicted?

Btw, they now expect the 700 P in March, April, and they also expect Sprint to get the 700 W in April May. Wonder if this means an agreement between Sprint and Verizon allowing Verizon will get the 700P in April May as well?
    ONE THING IT MUST HAVE:

Is Bluetooth 1.2. Because I am tired of the way that my bluetooth works.

Oh sorry, one more thing...

BETTER RECEPTION! Along with the obvious better pixel camera, Wifi, etc.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast