Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    There seems to be this view that Palm was the only one allowed to ship their devices with extra software, whereas this is actually the usual practice. Look at this list of software that was added to the recently announced Eten M600 ppcphone.
    Palm claimed to have made modifications to Windows Mobile, and Microsoft said that no other device maker had asked to do that before. It was never about how much software was bundled with the device.
    The additions seem to be simple plug-ins to the today screen and phone apps. I dont expect anything else had been done. Look at the list of apps and plug-ins included with the phone from O2.

http://www.seeo2.com/product/XdaAtom...pplications.vm
    This app especially is interesting.
    O2 SMS Plus
    O2 SMS Plus is a unique application that lets users chat via SMS, with messages from both parties displayed onscreen in an instant messaging format. This allows users to conveniently view their chat history and carry on a real-time conversation on their screens.

O2 SMS Plus lets you:
    Send and receive SMS messages via a chat style user interface;
    View incoming and outgoing SMS messages in the same list window;
    Write an SMS and schedule its delivery;
    Send SMS messages to multiple recipients;
    Send and receive vCard contacts via SMS from compatible devices supporting SMS vCard transmission; and
    Search for SMS messages that contain a search string
    It gives, amongst other things, apparently threaded SMS messages, like on the Treo 650. It also ads a graphic equalizer to WMP, and a Media Centre kind of app to manage media on the device. O2 has always been quite aggressive about branding their devices by extending the functionality, just like Palm.

Surur
    The additions seem to be simple plug-ins to the today screen and phone apps. I dont expect anything else had been done.
    Have you actually used a Windows Treo prototype? You talk like you have specific knowledge beyond what has been publicly announced.

Look at the list of apps and plug-ins included with the phone from O2.
    Why do you keep posting features of other devices? The 700w specs and features haven't even been announced, and you seem to be declaring judgement already.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    The Palm store in a Boston mall told me that Verizon will get the phone around March. Sprint later on. Is this what others have heard?
    I hope that's not true, and it's January like others have said. March may be too late.

When is the HP 6715 coming out? Anyone know? Plus Cingular is releasing an updated version of the SMT 5600(2125, HTC Tornado) with WM5 for Smartphone. Like I said before, many WM5 devices coming out. Good luck WM Treo, you'll need it. And barely any mention of new Palm OS smartphone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The additions seem to be simple plug-ins to the today screen and phone apps. I dont expect anything else had been done. Look at the list of apps and plug-ins included with the phone from O2.

http://www.seeo2.com/product/XdaAtom...pplications.vm
    This app especially is interesting.

It gives, amongst other things, apparently threaded SMS messages, like on the Treo 650. It also ads a graphic equalizer to WMP, and a Media Centre kind of app to manage media on the device. O2 has always been quite aggressive about branding their devices by extending the functionality, just like Palm.

Surur
    I think Samkim is right. Those features are for that phone only(says O2 exclusives). But it looks like a pretty good phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I was trying to make 2 points:
    1) today screen plug-ins are not fundamental and easy to duplicate.
    2) other companies have a similar level of access to WM5 than Palm.

One of those O2 plug-ins have already been "freed" from their device and can be installed on any ppcphone. http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...er=asc&start=0 If the Palm plug-ins are really that much better I can see this happening to them also.

Surur

PS: Examination of the Treoo 700w manual also supports my view.
    Last edited by surur; 12/04/2005 at 06:40 AM.
    There's a manual online? Link please.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Are specs always absent from manuals?
    Wondering why you would try to make point two Surur? Imo it misses the target altogether and misleads. Palm is the only company that MSFT allowed to make significant changes to WM5 code over a period of several years. Palm's changes involved a cooperative effort between MSFT and Palm Inc and as a result are not superficial changes easy for other clones to add on their own. These changes are not likely to appear on WM5 devices of other WM5 licensees anytime soon imo.

One of those O2 plug-ins have already been "freed" from their device and can be installed on any ppcphone. http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...er=asc&start=0 If the Palm plug-ins are really that much better I can see this happening to them also.

Surur

1. I've never seen Palm's modifications characterized as "plug-ins" before you.
    2. Perhaps, but that's conjecture.
    Samkin, read the manual. They are largely today screen plug-ins.

Surur
    So from the manual...
    - Press the 5-way on the front of your smartphone. Press Right , Left , Up , or Down to move to the next field, button, or action in that direction.
    - Press and hold Option while pressing Up or Down to scroll one screen at a time. These keys work just like the Page Up and Page Down keys on your computer keyboard.
    - Press and hold Option while pressing Left or Right to jump to the top or bottom of the current document or entry.

- When viewing a screen with tabs, such as when adding a contact or customizing settings, press Down to scroll to the tabs, and then press Left or Right to move between tabs.
    - When inside a text field, press Right or Left to move to the next character, and press Up or Down to move between lines.
    - When inside a list, press and hold Up or Down to rapidly scroll through the list.
    Everything *not* in bold, I know for sure is a standard part of WM5 (my PPC-6700 could do these). The items in bold I'm not sure about as I don't have my PPC-6700 any longer. Perhaps a PPC-6700 owner can try those out to verify.

And even if those specific features *are* exclusive to the Treo, they're not significant enough to give the Treo a significant advantage over other WM5 devices.

Beyond that, there's the new today screen / phone app which looks quite good but that's basically an app that someone else could clone.
    I just read this in the manual...
    Using the keyboard, begin entering one of the following for the contact you want to call:
    - First initial, a space, and then last initial (J S for John Smith)
    I consider that a step back from the Treo 650. I always lookup by first initial of first name and then start typing the last name. This new method requires you to enter a space and it sounds like it will only pay attention to the first letter of the last name.
    It is all in the details, folks. These additions/changes may not seem much seperately, but integrated properly, it will makes all the difference to an end user.
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink
    Wondering why you would try to make point two Surur? Imo it misses the target altogether and misleads. Palm is the only company that MSFT allowed to make significant changes to WM5 code over a period of several years. Palm's changes involved a cooperative effort between MSFT and Palm Inc and as a result are not superficial changes easy for other clones to add on their own. These changes are not likely to appear on WM5 devices of other WM5 licensees anytime soon imo.
    And just what are these great changes, I keep asking? No real answer from anywhere yet. The manual looks like nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    It is all in the details, folks. These additions/changes may not seem much seperately, but integrated properly, it will makes all the difference to an end user.
    I think the collection of plug-ins are great, and they are obviously integrated and meant to work with each other. They also strangely do things which no other plug-ins have done before, despite being very easy to implement e.g. google search from the today screen. Thats nice task centric design vs app centric thinking. Its just something like that is going to be very easy to copy.

On the other hand, if a business hands these out the devices will probably be locked down, so people will appreciate to have a well thought out experience right out of the box.

Surur
    The Today screen looks cool. The contact look-up and speed dial on the Today screen is great! Is that what the improvement is supposed to be?

But is that really enough for me to forget about other devices? No.

I think the collection of plug-ins are great, and they are obviously integrated and meant to work with each other. They also strangely do things which no other plug-ins have done before, despite being very easy to implement e.g. google search from the today screen. Thats nice task centric design vs app centric thinking. Its just something like that is going to be very easy to copy.
    Surur
    My words are hardly cold.

Search Google from your Today Screen

Sunday, December 4, 2005, 06:28 PM - New Software
    I was enamored with one of the Today Screen plugins on the new WM Treo, of which you can see a screenshot here:
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde..._available.htm

The plugin allows you to search the web from the today screen. This seemed useful, and I wonder why no one ever thought of it before. I've often debated which to leave my homepage on in PIE, yahoo for me to check my mail and the like, or google, to do quick info lookups. Yahoo has won, but now I could have the best of both worlds.

I decided to try to write a clone of such a plugin, and here's my result:

This is a 1.0/beta version that I'd like people to help me test out. It's not configurable, it will only search google. There are some issues with the Keyboard popping/not popping/not disappearing that I need to work on, and there may be some version and theme problems.

Basically, I'd like to hear from you if it works. I'm not sure if it will work on devices that use anything earlier than WM2003SE. If that's the case, I'll work on fixing that.

You can install it via cab here: http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~jmisurda/ppc...hToday.ARM.CAB

Download/Copy it to your device, install, and enable it from the Today settings applet. There will be an improved installer in the future as well. To uninstall, you'll first have to uncheck it from the today settings applet, then uninstall.

Let me know how it works, and give some suggestions for future versions.

Thanks,

Jon
    http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~jmisurda/ppc...y051204-182826

Surur
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast