Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    I'm another jumper (went to the Sidekick and lost my number, as it was pre-portability, dammit) but I jumped back for the 600 the moment it came out. I was disappointed like a lot of people were on the 650's features, but the upgrades still got me to upgrade.

It ticks me off when people say wifi isn't necessary b/c of EVDO. Most of the time, you'd be correct. But when I'm not in coverage, and want to exchange data with other computers, what am I supposed to do? Yes, I have Softick's software that makes the Treo a usb key, but that's not what I want to do, and often can't do.

Anyway, I think that the 700w will do fine, but it won't be a blockbuster, primarily b/c of its screen resolution. That's just an opinion, but man, every MS phone user touted the screen over my 600's... and yeah, they had some gorgeous ones. I know, I know, it's aimed at business users, but when (if ever) will Palm jump ahead instead of just keeping up in features?

You could make the argument that the form factor of the 600 was "jumping" ahead of the competition -- heck, it's taken YEARS for others to catch up. I still think that if they'd plowed wifi and a few more things into the 650, they'd already be the dominating force in smartphones here in the US, and MS would've _begged_ them for a port.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    It ticks me off when people say wifi isn't necessary b/c of EVDO. Most of the time, you'd be correct. But when I'm not in coverage, and want to exchange data with other computers, what am I supposed to do?
    I agree. When the whole Wifi debate was the rage this time last year, I posted my point of view. Even though it is a year later it still hold true with me today:

Whiners whining about the Wifi whiners whining about no Wifi!

Just MHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink
    With carrier activation, the Palm Treo 650 smartphone combines a compact, full-featured mobile phone with email, a Palm OS® organizer, messaging, web access and digital camera, letting users organize and simplify their business and personal lives all in one device.(1) The Treo 650 builds on the award-winning design of the Treo 600 with new and improved features, including a high-resolution screen; expanded multimedia capabilities, such as an MP3 player and video capture and playback(2); removable battery; non-volatile memory; and Bluetooth® wireless technology.

If thats what rocks your boat, chase the exciting new features. The average mainstream customers will look for reviews like what is above, and buy mainly Treos instead of other WM5 clones because almost every objective person who tests the available smartphones, things the Treo is best. The apples to apples comparison Hobbes suggests if it is based on consumer satisfaction instead of who has more bells and whistles will also be won by the Treo700W imo.
    Now notice that the very article you posted talks about the FEATURES of the Treo 650. Yes features are important!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think your smartphone requirement is that you want to be at the "bleeding, cutting edge". Frequently some Treocentral users think a new feature is hot, well before it is practical. Palm simply won't include it, if it jeopardizes a desired price point, threatens to drop battery life below a desired level or makes the smartphone too hefty.

Since Palm specifically doesn't believe in designing "cutting edge" devices, it doesn't seem a great fit for you. So since you want to be where Palm doesn't want to take you, express yourself with another smartphone vendor. Palm is focusing on gaining more market share, and it doesn't seem like Palm and you are therefore headed in the same direction.
    Yes they do. They do with their PDAs all the time! Why is the phone different? Plus some of the features on the Treo 650 are fun features, and not necessary for business operation. I wonder how much the battery is drained playing MP3s and video. And cameras are just about unnecessary on phones, they're so bad quality anyway.

The features I'm talking about are FUNCTIONAL features: more memory and storage, updated BT, built in wi-fi, push email, good speakerphone, etc.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo

The features I'm talking about are FUNCTIONAL features: more memory and storage, updated BT, built in wi-fi, push email, good speakerphone, etc.
    The more sophisticated the user, the more memory they can use. Lower memory lowers the price point, and increases battery life. When you are aiming for the less sophisticated mass market, adding extra memory is not a high priority item for all but the power users. Updated BT and built in wi-fi are service provider issues. Those two are economic issues with the service providers. Setting up the units to please the service providers, allows the service providers to give more rebates to the purchasers. Push Email is coming once that legal issue is resolved. I don't understand the good speakerphone issue. I am confident that Palm wants its devices to function as well as possible as a cellphone.
    Trust me, speakerphone can come in quite handy. It's not no. 1 on the list for sure, but I use it more than looking at videos.

And other phones have no problem putting more memory on at the same price point.

Setting up the units to please the service providers allows the service providers to dictate what you can and can't have on the phone YOU pay money for. Then drag people into 2 yr. contracts for that "rebate" they give on the phone. That's just another form of bait and switch, but it's legal. I don't even look at those "rebates" as bargains anymore.

The next Palm OS Treo is going to have to have some serious updates, or it won't be worth it. The WM5 updates aren't enough because other WM5 phones take up what it lacks.

I love smartphones for my "taking it to beach phone". That is not degrading it in anyway, but there are times I really don't feel like taking my $620, lifeblood with my job, phone on the beach, but need to stay in contact while there for a long weekend. Plus the form factors of several of these phones are more traditional cell phone-ish, so it is easier in several situations to have a small alternative.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910