1.    #1  
    uhhhh, I don't know about this... I do not have a data plan on my Treo - I want one, but trying to come up with the extra $40 per month is a little tough right now... Anyway, I fired up the browser to see what would happen, and it connected. I was able to browse the web without any problems. As soon as I convinced myself that I was actually on-line, I disconnected since I have no idea what kind of charges I would be incurring.

Any ideas on this? The phone is with Cingular...
    use a friend's normal GSM phone with your SIM card to sign up for MediaNET unlimited for 20 bucks a month at a cingular store.

Don't use the browser unless you want to pay a cent per kilobyte. Cingular wants your money, which is why you're able to connect regardless of data plan or not.
    I use T-mobile. I do not have a data paln (I have their 3000 mintues for $50 plan). I set up my phone to use a dial up ISP. Have done so from my first Treo (180).

SPG
    Any info or links on how to do this? I have plenty of minutes I don't use and I don't want to pay for data since I already pay for broadband at home.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I have never seen a data plan that worked on a per minute vs. per kilobite basis. I didn't like the idea of spending $44/mo for Verizon All You Can Eat data, but its the only real choice, lest you either swear off data ALMOST altogether or brace yourself for paying WAY MORE than $44 for data use. The first month I had my phone I went with the Verizon $24/mo 5MB plan, then racked up $275 in charges when I did 30MB in my first month basically just checking email twice a day. I was NOT happy. On the one hand, I guess it was my own fault, but my guess is that Verizon makes a ton of money on people who think they can save $20 on a limited access plan. Note that they don't simply shut you down when you reach your data limit. Personally, I think there should be a legal cap on the difference between the total charge and what would have been your fee charged in the most appropriate plan available, especially in the first month of use. Another thing that irks me is how unstable Versamail is/was and how, when I am paying per kilobyte the phone would dump all my email REGULARLY requiring me to download EVERYTHING on my own dime when it was - basically - the vendor supplied software that puked its guts out. Nice!
    I have used two different third party e-mail programs (Mark Space and Iambic). I have used tow different dial up ISP (Flordia Digital Networks and Bell South). All combinations have worked. In prefrences I go to Network. In Networks, I hit Menu and then New. Next to Service I typed FDN or Bell South. Next to Connection I picked Virtual Modem. Next to User Name the name you use with your dial up. Then the pasword you gave your dial up. Then the dial up phone number you would use on your computer for dial up.

I have never understood the data plans. You do not need a data plan on your land line phone. My phone (either my land line or cell phone) dial the number given to my by my dial up ISP. The dial up ISP then asks for the user name and password. Then you connect to the web. It has worked for me for years on t-mobile. Please let me know if it works for you.

SPG
    I have used two different third party e-mail programs (Mark Space and Iambic). I have used two different dial up ISP (Flordia Digital Networks and Bell South). All combinations have worked. In prefrences I go to Network. In Networks, I hit Menu and then New. Next to Service I typed FDN or Bell South. Next to Connection I picked Virtual Modem. Next to User Name the name you use with your dial up. Then the password you gave your dial up. Then the dial up phone number you would use on your computer for dial up.

I have never understood the data plans. You do not need a data plan on your land line phone. My phone (either my land line or cell phone) dial the number given to me by my dial up ISP. The dial up ISP then asks for the user name and password. Then you connect to the web. It has worked for me for years on t-mobile. Please let me know if it works for you.

SPG
    Several people have stated in the past that the dial up option won't work with Cingular.

I believe there was a thread about it.
    Cingular puts a feature on the account call

Internet Pay per use

Which will allow you to connect to the internet but will charge you at a price per kb
    same thing with
    MMS and
    SMS

mms - multi-media msg's
    sms- text msgs
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPG
    I have used two different third party e-mail programs (Mark Space and Iambic). I have used two different dial up ISP (Flordia Digital Networks and Bell South). All combinations have worked. In prefrences I go to Network. In Networks, I hit Menu and then New. Next to Service I typed FDN or Bell South. Next to Connection I picked Virtual Modem. Next to User Name the name you use with your dial up. Then the password you gave your dial up. Then the dial up phone number you would use on your computer for dial up.

I have never understood the data plans. You do not need a data plan on your land line phone. My phone (either my land line or cell phone) dial the number given to me by my dial up ISP. The dial up ISP then asks for the user name and password. Then you connect to the web. It has worked for me for years on t-mobile. Please let me know if it works for you.

SPG
    Do you know if this will work with T-MoToGo prepaid SIMs?
    I use a T-Mo prepaid SIM when travelling to the US.
    Thanx
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    eKeith:

I do not think so.

SPG
    you will be charged by Kb. check your usage over a few month and then get a plan that matches your usage. NOTHING IS FREE!
  13.    #13  
    Yep - just talked to Cingular. It is .01 per Kb and it automatically functional on voice plans. I don't think this used to be the case - my brother got a Treo last summer and the data didn't work at all until he added a data plan.. that is why I was surprised that mine did work. I didn't expect it to be free, but I didn't expect it to work either.

Now what are the limitations of the Media Net stuff? The rep I talked to did tell me unlimited Media Net was like $19.99 - that sounds much better than $39.99 for unlimited "normal" Data.
    Yep, they make lots of money with their data plans. That's why I bit the bullet and got an unlocked GSM from Treo and signed up with T-Mobile. I pay $9.99 per month for unlimited internet access. There has been only one site that I could not get to. It used a pop-up to log in and I'm guessing that was the issue. I was a long-time ATT customer and was pretty happy; until Cingular took over. Everything went downhill rapidly. When the Treo650 came out with ATT, their company stores all heavily pushed the $49 unlimited option when they have much less expensive options that would do a nice job (Media-Net), but even that is twice as expensive as T-Mobile's unlimited plan. Unless T-Mobile goes nuts and starts screwing everything up like Cingular did, they will have a long-term customer in me.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet