Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well after reading hundreds of posts am starting to come to the conclusion that this treo is way to complicated for the average cell phone user. Is this the case or what ? When I see "how do I put music on my Treo" threads I start to wonder do you need to be a full pledge geek to operate this thing, which am not.

I just hate to buy it and say to myself this is way to complicated and then have to return it. Are the menu's self explanatory or do I need to buy the treo for dummies book.

I just would like some input on the phones simplicity or lack of?

Thanks.
    Yes, I believe that for the average cell phone user the Treo would be complicated.

I gave my Treo to my mother-in-law the other day to make a phone call and she nearly had a heart attack trying to work it out. I had to dial for her.
    Its no more difficult than a computer. the problem is that most people believe it should behave as a cell phone and completly ignore that it is in fact a computer with cell phone abilities.
    for someone that can't use "too" correctly it may very well be
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    for someone that can't use "too" correctly it may very well be
    Ironically, I used my treo two sea what you ment.
    funney!
    Yeah, it's way too complicated for the average phone user. It's a geek's best friend though
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Yes, I believe that for the average cell phone user the Treo would be complicated.

I gave my Treo to my mother-in-law the other day to make a phone call and she nearly had a heart attack trying to work it out. I had to dial for her.
    then load voicedial and:

1. Push one button
    2. say a name

....no, the Treo does not operate like a home phone, ie, pick up the handset and dial, but it is no more complicated to use than any other cell phone. I don't know if the mother-in-law test is valid for any cell phone on the market today.

You may need to take 10 minutes to understand some basic functions, but that is about it if you stay with the standard out-of-box features. Most cell phones require at least that much effort.

ps - there is a vocal minority here that likes to b&c about the Treo, so take it with a grain of salt (not directed at AJ).
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spirilis
    Yeah, it's way too complicated ...

Hanover as in W-B, or Lancaster ??
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    then load voicedial and:

1. Push one button
    2. say a name

....no, the Treo does not operate like a home phone, ie, pick up the handset and dial, but it is no more complicated to use than any other cell phone. I don't know if the mother-in-law test is valid for any cell phone on the market today.

You may need to take 10 minutes to understand some basic functions, but that is about it if you stay with the standard out-of-box features. Most cell phones require at least that much effort.

ps - there is a vocal minority here that likes to b&c about the Treo, so take it with a grain of salt (not directed at AJ).

Nice slap Pabo.

I didn't say it was too complicated for me, but my mother-in-law. She has a standard, every day Samsumg cell phone. Like a lot of people it took her a while to work that one out. There is a big difference between that and the Treo.

And in regards to the "vocal minority", I was trying to give him the idea that it is not a standard cell phone. The Treo requires some work but it is definately worth it. I don't want to give the impression that all you do is take it out of the box, turn it on and that is it. If that was all it required then why would people need Treocentral
    if your smart enough to find and read this site then your smart enough to use a Treo. Sure it will take you a little time to be fully comfortable with every thing it can do, just start out slow, use the phone and built in functions as you get use to the Palm OS and then start exloring some of the other cool things it can do. When I first started using a palm several years ago I just used the built in apps. After I had a good handle on that I started playing with other software. Given that your aware of this forum and have already been doing some reading I'd say your ahead of the curve.
    Here's the deal.

The treo is a computer with a wireless modem. It happens to make and accept telephone calls, and it happens to look like a phone, but with 20 more buttons.

To get anything out of it, you need to treat it like a computer. That means dealing with software options, occasional crashes, and greater complexity. But in exchange, you get so much more functionality than just a cell phone.

So, if you don't care to treat your phone like a computer, don't get a treo.

I basically say as much in my review over at: http://www.warrenernst.com/node/view/77

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    I would say that it's not too complicated for anyone of average intelligence who buys it for themselves. IOW, there will be a learning curve, especially for those unfamiliar with the Palm OS. Handing it over to someone who has never used a Treo (and may have never even used a Palm OS device) may freak them out, but that's not a good indication of day-to-day usability for someone who buys it for themselves. I suspect that the main reason someone freaks out when they ask to borrow it to make a quick call is the lack of the dedicated numeric keypad (and while we know that there are hard keys that serve double-duty as numeric keys, someone else being handed it will just see the full QWERTY keyboard at first glance and be a bit confused).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Like they say on 5th avenue...

"if you have to ask...".

Vikingjunior... the treo is too complicated for you.
    Some people can program the vcr and some can't. Although that is a simple analogy, I see in my business that some people learn and do well with computers and some people, no matter how long they have used one, can't master cutting and pasting.

So, the answer is, the 650 IS too complicated for some people. If it is difficult for you and you are not willing (or have the time) to read, practice, and learn, then stick with a regular cell phone. If you are someone who struggles with the vcr, the Treo is probably not for you.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks everyone especially pabo and sci 72 that was some helpful input, sometimes I just hate learning new things, I will take it slow.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Nice slap Pabo.
    Aussie Joe, re-read my original post. I specifically say my vocal minority comment was NOT directed at AJ (short for Aussie Joe).

I understood the problem was for you nother-in-law, not you. The point of my comment was that there are actually great apps for the Treo that simplify the interface, like VoiceDial. A great app, no training required, and it literally simplifies the process to push & talk.

Nothing I said was intended as a slap at either you or your mother-in-law, and if it came across that way, my apologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Well after reading hundreds of posts am starting to come to the conclusion that this treo is way to complicated for the average cell phone user. Is this the case or what ? When I see "how do I put music on my Treo" threads I start to wonder do you need to be a full pledge geek to operate this thing, which am not.

I just hate to buy it and say to myself this is way to complicated and then have to return it. Are the menu's self explanatory or do I need to buy the treo for dummies book.

I just would like some input on the phones simplicity or lack of?

Thanks.
    It is not complicated if you stick with the original supplied software, like all other phone's users do.

It's when you start loading up the Treo with tons of games and 3rd party utilities, especially old ones that have not been specifically updated for the Treo, that the problems and conflicts start to occur. If you pick good reputable 3rd party applications then the Treo is stable and much enhanced and a pleasure to use.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Yes: I wouldn't give it to my wife to use. She'd hate it.

Hell ... there are times that it frustrates me. But .... it has a ton of tools that make my life easier. As someone else said: If you treat it like a computer that can also be used as a phone then things are better. If you simply want a phone, look elsewhere.
    you'll be fine if you know how to use a computer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast