1.    #1  
    I am currently a somewhat happy owner of a Sprint Treo 650.

The problems that I am now facing:
    - I *need* International SMS. Sprint sucks in this regard. (It rarely if ever works). I had previously gotten around this problem by using my company GSM phone. However they seem to have blocked my International SMS ability (or it somehow got hosed).

- I'd really like to have International Roaming. (GSM countries).

What are my options?
    - Is there any way to trade my CDMA Treo for a GSM treo from a carrier? (Or am I basically outlaying cash again here).

- Is there any services that will allow me to reliably send International SMS *and* recieve the response on my phone?

I've got to solve this problem in fairly short order. (Or else my international dialing bill will be very high.)

Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like you need to switch carriers (and phones).
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  3.    #3  
    How hard is it to unlock the Treo 650 from Cingular?

They have a refurb for $139 (locked).
    It really depends on if the phone campany has agreement with the other particular phone company in the other side of the pond. I tried sms my friend in Hong Kong. It worked, just like dialing an international number. He was very happy and sms me back.

A few days later he was pissed because his phone company charged him 2+ US dollars. I double checked with t-mobile, they only charge me 10 cents.

edit: You need to find out which country you use sms alot, and go to Howardforum and see if they can tell you which US carrier has good sms service with them.

If I were you I would just use Skype.
  5.    #5  
    Well ... this SMS worked for many months (on Cingular -- my work phone) and it just stopped. (It's NEVER worked on Sprint).

I'm not sure why.

Skype won't work. The people I'm texting only have cell phones and are generally computer illiterate.
    Why wouldn't Skype work? I can call my mom's cellphone in China at well.

Which backward country doesn't receive Skype calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    How hard is it to unlock the Treo 650 from Cingular?

They have a refurb for $139 (locked).

http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/06/cingular_treo_6.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    what I don't understand is why, if international GSM roaming is important, you bought a Sprint phone in the first place.

It behooves all of us, as buyers, to do a little research and make sure what we buy suits our needs.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have an Unlocked GSM 650 and regularly SMS Australia, New Zealand, Asia and Europe.

Have you called Sprint to see if they has "locked" you out of sending international SMS messages?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Why wouldn't Skype work? I can call my mom's cellphone in China at well.

Which backward country doesn't receive Skype calls?
    Maybe I have to learn more about Skype.

Can I text from Skype?
  11.    #11  
    Thanks ... this part doesn't sound promising though:

UPDATE REGARDING CARRIER UNLOCK: I initially thought that this unlock hack would also unlock the Cingular GSM Treo 650 for use with any other carrier’s SIM card but unfortunately A. Davis reports that:

“I just tried SIMs from Verizon (they now have a worldphone that operates in both CDMA and GSM via a Vodaphone partnership) and from a T-Mobile phone. Both came up with the standard "You can't use this SIM in this phone" message and allowed only for 911/SOS calls. So, it is confirmed, the unlock hack only unlocks features and removes branding, but doesn't unlock the carrier aspect of the phone. On the plus side, however, I now have BT DUN and I can get future updates whenever PalmOne releases them which is more often than not a lot more frequently than the carriers themselves do.”
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    I have an Unlocked GSM 650 and regularly SMS Australia, New Zealand, Asia and Europe.

Have you called Sprint to see if they has "locked" you out of sending international SMS messages?
    Yeah ... best answer they can give me is that they don't "really" support it as it usually does'nt work. <sigh>
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    what I don't understand is why, if international GSM roaming is important, you bought a Sprint phone in the first place.

It behooves all of us, as buyers, to do a little research and make sure what we buy suits our needs.
    Didn't need it at the time as my work phone did the job just fine and the cheap data plan was nice.

Unfortunately the only constant in the universe is change. Now ... my job has changed so I travel internationally quite frequently, and my international contacts has skyrocketed.
    I bought a Cingular 600 in March and it works well in Europe. I signed up for the international calling plan ~$5.00/month to get a reduced minute rate. The phone I received from Cingular was unlocked. I used a German SIM and it worked.
  15.    #15  
    Does anyone know if the unlocked status is also true of the Treo 650?
    There is no reliable international sms service, it has nothing to do with cdma or gsm.

Basically you are down to internet calls or email.