Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I saw this on mobile read this morning about upcoming Treos. I did'nt expect to see the Treo 700p until March, but they're reporting January.
    * January 2006: Treo 700w (WM 5.0, EV-DO) exclusively from Verizon
    * January 2006: Treo 700p (Palm OS) exclusively from Sprint
    * March-May 2006: "Hollywood" - fancier 3G/GSM smartphone without external antenna to appeal to European customers; in US likely to be launched by Cingular
    * March-May 2006: "Lowrider" - a sub-$300 device and entry-level PDA, compatible to previous-generation network radios

I think the "hollywood" looks like the phone we all want (great news for Cingular customers)

What do you guys think?
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I saw this on mobile read this morning about upcoming Treos. I did'nt expect to see the Treo 700p until March, but they're reporting January.
    * January 2006: Treo 700w (WM 5.0, EV-DO) exclusively from Verizon
    * January 2006: Treo 700p (Palm OS) exclusively from Sprint
    * March-May 2006: "Hollywood" - fancier 3G/GSM smartphone without external antenna to appeal to European customers; in US likely to be launched by Cingular
    * March-May 2006: "Lowrider" - a sub-$300 device and entry-level PDA, compatible to previous-generation network radios

I think the "hollywood" looks like the phone we all want (great news for Cingular customers)

What do you guys think?
    ...this is all unsubstantiated crap, but I'd like to believe it.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  3.    #3  
    here's from page 10 of the pdf on mobileread:
    "We know that PALM will introduce four new models in CY 06.
    In January they will introduce the already announced Treo 700 Windows which will be a
    Verizon exclusivity it will be the first EV-DO Treo on the market .Around the same time
    we believe PALM will launch a Treo 700p running PALM OS on the Sprint network,
    both devices will keep same form factor and will capitalize on the Treo strong foothold in
    the US enterprise Market.
    We also learned that PALM will be launching two new products around March 06
    codenamed “Hollywood” and “Lowrider”. According to the Morgan Stanley analyst in
    Asia (covers HTC) the estimate production output will be 200K devices/month.

“Hollywood” will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first
    attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna
    and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US.

“Lowrider” will be a sub-$300 devices utilizing previous generation radios and providing
    PALM with an entry level PDA.
    Please refer to the model below (exhibit 3) for the delta in Treo shipments between Sagio
    and the analyst community estimates.

It seems prertty credible. For a full look look here:

http://www.sagioinvest.com/reps/Palm_SAGIO_Research.pdf
    Jimmie Geddes
    LOL if Palm is making a 700p, then how come we don't see any leaked prototype?

The 700w prototype showed up probably at april 2005.
    Actually March, I just found the acticle.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000030035535/
  6.    #6  
    I'm sure we'll start getting "leaks".
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    LOL if Palm is making a 700p, then how come we don't see any leaked prototype?
    Since it has the same model number as the 700w, I would think it'll have pretty much the same hardware specs and formfactor (except presumably for the screen - which still doesn't make sense to me). If that's the case, then we first saw the leaks of the 700p in March...
    DAMN CINGULAR is getting the fancy newly redesigned Treo?!! This sucks royally man. Why can't they just release ONE update at a time instead of making us jumo from one carrier to the next?!! This PMO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Since it has the same model number as the 700w, I would think it'll have pretty much the same hardware specs and formfactor (except presumably for the screen - which still doesn't make sense to me). If that's the case, then we first saw the leaks of the 700p in March...
    That prototype was running WM. I remember the story very well. The guy was offered by a woman who knocked on his door to buy this device, which he could barely get wm2003 to boot on it. It was so surreal everyone thought it was a made up story.

By your logic we could be getting a Symbian Treo too since a wm prototype automaically gaurantee a PalmOS version.
    I'm sticking with sprint. Cant wait to begin downloading at 400k-700k
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    That prototype was running WM. I remember the story very well. The guy was offered by a woman who knocked on his door to buy this device, which he could barely get wm2003 to boot on it. It was so surreal everyone thought it was a made up story.

By your logic we could be getting a Symbian Treo too since a wm prototype automaically gaurantee a PalmOS version.
    Then you clearly misunderstand. I'm saying if the hardware is the same, then we've seen the hardware already.

You don't know what the prototype in March was running. It wasn't proof of a new Windows Treo, and it wasn't proof of a new Palm Treo.
  12.    #12  
    I think the hardware will be very similar to the Treo 700w. Palm has a history of using the same "casing" with their devices. Look at the TE,TE2,T5,TX. The TE and TE2 are the same cases. The T5 and TX are also the same. It could keep costs down, we know the Treo 700w holds an EV-DO radio and a 1.3 megapixel camera. I could be wrong though
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Screw EV-DO, GSM 3G is the one Especially for my future use. Telstra in Australia has stopped installing its EV-DO network in favour of 3G.

Hi-speed data throughout the world
  14.    #14  
    I hear what you're saying. For us Sprint customers in a contract we'd take a hit for switching carriers, and some prefer Sprint's network over Cingular's here in the US. I do miss having a GSM phone to swap out SIM cards, but I switched to Sprint because they had the Treo 650 first. I guess if you travel the world GSM is a better option.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Are we to assume that "Hollywood" will be POS based? Will it be positioned as a 700P without antenna or a high end 700P (i.e. more memory, better camera, faster processor, what else?)? Will it feature UMTS data speeds? I understand these are speculative questions.

Damon
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    Are we to assume that "Hollywood" will be POS based? Will it be positioned as a 700P without antenna or a high end 700P (i.e. more memory, better camera, faster processor, what else?)? Will it feature UMTS data speeds? I understand these are speculative questions.

Damon
    See my post here where I explain why the available evidence points to the Hollywood mainly being a Windows Mobile, not POS, device. This does not exclude the possibility of a POS Hollywood Treo, but it looks they will keep POS for the cheaper Lowrider.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=100453

Surur
    I'm hoping that 650 accessories are compatible. I have a small fortune in cradles, mobile kits, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    I'm hoping that 650 accessories are compatible. I have a small fortune in cradles, mobile kits, etc.
    I wouldn't hold my breath...

AC adapter from my T300 worked with my T600, but not the car charger.

Cradle and power adapters changed from my T600 to my T650

At least all of my bluetooth stuff (headset, gps) should make the migration, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that my Seidio car adapter and cradle are for my T650 only.
    Yeah and like an *****, I just had to buy the new Seidio G4850 which I bet won't work with the new Treo. Oh well, it's only money.......
    If you want to be an early adopter of the next gen Treo, I bet you'll find a ripe market for your 650-only accessories. The GPS stuff should be a hot commodity one the used market.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast