Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They said at the news conference that the 700w would be compatible with the 650 accessories. If the rumored PalmOS is released and is called 700p, I think it's safe to assume that it would be similar to the 700w.
    EV-DO IS 3G as well. and don't get me started on UMTS vs EV-DO......global or not, EV-DO rocks. Besides, I rent a phone when I travel. Cheaper than global roaming.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    They said at the news conference that the 700w would be compatible with the 650 accessories. If the rumored PalmOS is released and is called 700p, I think it's safe to assume that it would be similar to the 700w.
    This would be great news! It would make it more likely I would buy one when it comes out (700p not w)
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    Yeah and like an *****, I just had to buy the new Seidio G4850 which I bet won't work with the new Treo. Oh well, it's only money.......

Yeah , even if the next Treo is compatible with current accessories, I am very wary of investing in car kit accessories like this b/c you never know if Palm will change the form factor!

I think it's fairly certian Palm will continue to support the multiconnector in future models, but the size and form factor of the devices will surely change as evidensed by rumors of the 'Hollywood' model etc. Thus, this is why I prefer to buy BT accessories instead...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Uhh... why? Seriously, if the next gen palmos Treo has 1xEvDo, then why do you care about wifi at all? You will have basically the same bandwidth via either radio so who cares?
    The main potential benefit to WiFi (IMO) is usage where there's no cell signal, i.e. indoors--whether for data access or voice calls via Skype. I think things willl move more and more in this direction to expand the overall coverage for one device/phone number.
    NEW PALM BOSS SAYS FOCUS WILL BE ON TREO AND EUROPE

Roy Bedlow, newly appointed vp EMEA for Palm, has told Mobiel Europe that the company will have an increased European focus, with investment in personnel and facilities, to enable its products to be closer to the European market.

Bedlow also said that the company would push on with its plans to develop products based on Windows Mobile OS, as well as its own Palm OS. It would also work with Good Technology, RIM for its Blackberry client and with Microsoft’s ActiveSync as it makes mobile email it priority.

Palm has recently opened a facility in Dublin, which Bedlow says is evidence of the company’s commitment to put “people and dollars” into Europe.

“It means we will have access to the networks, rather than operating off a fast pipe from, say, the Orange network back to our R&D centre in the US. We’ve got a live connection not a lab environment. It also means we are closer to the services that European operators need handset support for. The services Vodafone offers are very different to that Verizon offers, so we no have a dedicated team here building on the network and service preferences of our European customers.”

The core focus will be on the Treo. The handheld business is stil “incredibly important” he said, but is in a “different part of the lifecycle.” He also thought there was a case to invest in the training of users and sales staff in the use and capabilities of the Treo. One further focus of development will be on 3G phones, as Palm currently has no 3G phones.

“We believe the core advantage of the Treo [Palm’s flagship smartphone] is that it is a phone and email device combined. We are working with Blackberry Connect and have licensed Microsoft ActiveSync so all users need to get Outlook access is to enter their user ID and password. We are also working with Good Technology to enable behind the firewall applications for our business customers.” The company will also continue to work to support Vodafone’s RealMail service, which is based on Vistos’s email client.

Bedlow said that the decision to license the Windows Mobile OS accords well with many operators choosing to “follow the Microsoft strategy.” He didn’t see the company embracing any other OS platforms in the near future. “I think we have enough to focus on right now,” he said.

There is still plenty of opportunity in the mobile email space, Bedlow said, and he thought Microsoft was really well positioned to take advantage of that “on the IT side.” Palm will build on the Microsoft OS, he said, adding to the ease of use, ”developing above and beyond” the core specification.

http://www.mobileeurope.co.uk/news/n...y.ehtml?o=1684
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapman
    Uhh... why do you ask why? I've seen more then a couple posts on here explaining why we want WiFi. Here's my personal reason:

To directly answer your question, Because I WILL NOT have the same bandwidth via either radio. Not for unlimited data usage, not for a reasonable price. I'm tired of spending $50 for unlimited data usage in Canada for very slow speeds (oh and by the way, that isn't even available for new customers, now you pay $100 for about 100 megs a month) Because I don't HAVE the high speed options available you guys do. Because EVDO or whatever the newest one is isn't available around the world. I plan on traveling to Japan next year for a month, and want to update friends / familiy via a blog. I have a Treo. Basically my Treo over there will be useless. If It Had WiFi I would'nt be in this boat. If the new Treo isn't out / doesn't have WiFi, then bye bye Palm, you don't fill my needs, hello Windowz.

Sorry if I seem annoyed... but honestly, just because you have the wonders of High Speed for massively low prices, doesn't mean the entire world is in your boat. And some people actually like going to places outside EvDo range, where WiFi may exist. I wish I did'nt have to care about WiFi, but I do. Why is it so hard to understand why I want WiFi? Not offering WiFi to me is short sighted, and is another reason people have to switch to your competition who does offer it.
    There's other places BESIDES America? Will wonders never cease?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yeah , even if the next Treo is compatible with current accessories, I am very wary of investing in car kit accessories like this b/c you never know if Palm will change the form factor!

I think it's fairly certian Palm will continue to support the multiconnector in future models, but the size and form factor of the devices will surely change as evidensed by rumors of the 'Hollywood' model etc. Thus, this is why I prefer to buy BT accessories instead...
    ...unless it's a Bluetooth carkit, right? I'm having one installed in my new mustang next month (came with the 'stang, I didn't pay for it, so if it sucks its not gonna bother me).
    It'll be fun.
    <thread split>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...unless it's a Bluetooth carkit, right? I'm having one installed in my new mustang next month (came with the 'stang, I didn't pay for it, so if it sucks its not gonna bother me).
    Do you know what brand/model of car kit they're using?

Btw, as you may have seen, some of the Treo updates have specific stuff for Bt car kits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    Do you know what brand/model of car kit they're using?

Btw, as you may have seen, some of the Treo updates have specific stuff for Bt car kits.
    Nokia CW-7K? I think? Something like that. I saw a post on here about one with a similar model number, but a 1 instead of the 7 towards the end.
    It'll be fun.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12