1.    #1  
    Noob here with two questions.

QUESTION ONE
    Bought the 650 last week and paid the $20 yr Yahoo fee for "MAIL PLUS" which gives me POP access. Problem is right now Im able to get email but not send it.

The error pops up and says to go here for help;

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html

Ive messed around with changing the PORT of the SMTP from 25 to 587 but still nothing.

There were some options on that page where it says I need to open OUTLOOK and configure something but that just doesnt make sense being that I'm working with Yahoo not Outlook.

QUESTION TWO

When I'm logged on to my Yahoo email with the Treo there is a self promo ad for a $3/mo Yahoo mail option (not the same option that I paid for) it states:

BENEFITS:

-your email is autmotically sychronized with your treo
    -fast and easy access to your email, even when youre not connected to the mobile internet
    -easy management of messages, read,reply,forward,delete on the go
    -access to your yahoo address book

Is this already what Ive paid for by paying the MAIL PLUS or is it something better that Yahoo is now introducing.
    This is all so new to me and Sprint's customer service blows so I thought Id go here first, TIA.
    I don't use Yahoo, so I can't answer specifics, but the $20 plan is for POP access anywhere, with your own client (like Outlook)

The other offer you're seeing is something that Sprint/Yahoo offer. It's a Yahoo client for your Treo. I think it'll SMS you when you get mail, and some other crap.

But you should be able to get your mail still, using the $20 plan.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Been using Yahoo Mail Plus on my Treo 600 for a couple of years w/o problems.
    What email program are you using?
    Since Yahoo Mail Plus uses POP3 protocol regardless of your email program, you'll have to enter the incoming (pop.mail.yahoo.com) and outgoing (smtp.mail.yahoo.com) server addresses. The rest of the account setup should be straight forward (email address and password).
    I've used Snapper Mail since it came out and have been very happy with it-but seach these boards for the email program that best fits your needs. I'm not familier with the email program the 650 comes with since I don't plan to upgrade until the 700 is out for a while.
    /
  4.    #4  
    Im just using "versamail" the app that came with the 650.

So I need to use outlook to get my Yahoo email? Thats odd from a non-techie standpoint... I wish some of the silicon valley"ness" had rubbed off on me from my childhood but Im kind out in right field on alot of this stuff.

EG- I entered all that info in correctly when I set it up and it autmatically sets up everything after you pick Yahoo as your email account. Still fails to send messages though, maybe I will call Sprint tomorrow and sit on hold while Im on the can or something... one will hope they will eventually answer and point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot
    Im just using "versamail" the app that came with the 650.

So I need to use outlook to get my Yahoo email? Thats odd from a non-techie standpoint... I wish some of the silicon valley"ness" had rubbed off on me from my childhood but Im kind out in right field on alot of this stuff.

EG- I entered all that info in correctly when I set it up and it autmatically sets up everything after you pick Yahoo as your email account. Still fails to send messages though, maybe I will call Sprint tomorrow and sit on hold while Im on the can or something... one will hope they will eventually answer and point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    No, you don't need to use Outlook with the Yahoo Plus plan. I only gave that as an example.

Anyways, what E.G. says sound right in a generic sense (as I said, I don't use Yahoo.) Pehaps there's an "authentication" that needs checked somewhere? Or a port setting (like 587)

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    I just tried setting up a second account on versamail and entered the exact same info.
    Sent some test emails to different accounts and EVERYTHING worked... odd... very odd.

Dont know if it would make a difference or not but I set up the yahoo account on my 650 before I paid for the yahoo mail service... maybe I needed to set that up first THEN add the account on versamail? oh well it works, thanks everyone
    Shouldn't the out going server your phone carrier's smtp server?

I have t mobile, when I check my road runner pop mail, the smtp server is the tmobile server.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Shouldn't the out going server your phone carrier's smtp server?

I have t mobile, when I check my road runner pop mail, the smtp server is the tmobile server.
    Depends on your email provider. Road Runner is probably your home ISP, correct? Many ISP's require you to actually be on their network to use their SMTP server.

I am using my treo 650 with yahoo plus and I too am receiving mail but having a problem sending it. Do I need to check one of the boxes in the advance settings and if so which one?
    go to this link. It solved my problems

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/...treo-2984.html

I realize this is about gmail, but the concept is the same. I also use yahoo. get the right input and output server and you will do ok. check with your email server to find out the port and server and stuff. The list below should help.

Your Email Address: Incoming (POP) Outgoing (SMTP)
    MemberID@ameritech.net pop.ameritech.yahoo.com smtp.ameritech.yahoo.com
    MemberID@flash.net pop.flash.yahoo.com smtp.flash.yahoo.com
    MemberID@nvbell.net pop.nvbell.yahoo.com smtp.nvbell.yahoo.com
    MemberID@pacbell.net pop.pacbell.yahoo.com smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com
    MemberID@prodigy.net pop.prodigy.yahoo.com smtp.prodigy.yahoo.com
    MemberID@sbcglobal.net pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
    MemberID@snet.net pop.snet.yahoo.com smtp.snet.yahoo.com
    MemberID@swbell.net pop.swbell.yahoo.com smtp.swbell.yahoo.com
    MemberID@wans.net pop.wans.yahoo.com smtp.wans.yahoo.com
    Last edited by gcarcamo; 12/04/2005 at 09:38 PM.
    As long as port 25 isn't blocked by your ISP (cablevision's optimum online has started doing this recently) you should be fine... particularly if you are only sending via the phone & not freezing when versamail syncs to the pc.

Yahoo requires te account to be authenticated prior to sending outgoing mail. if you are having problems sending from the phone, try checking the authentication settings & make sure you are logging on with your account name (user id without the @yahoo.com) & correct password. Don't use the SSL checkbox - I don't think that works wirth yahoo.