1.    #1  
    For the weeks before I bought my 650, I read all of the posts I could read, studied all the reviews I could, etc. I have now had it for about 2 days and I have some questions that I am sure I have read the answers to, but I don't remember them now, and I can't find them now.

1 - How do you keep the thing from "going to sleep" so quickly?
    I went to Preferences - Power - Auto-off after: and made it 3 minutes, but this thing seems to shut down after about 20 seconds if you aren't doing something with it. (by going to sleep, I mean the screen goes black, and the keypad is locked)

1a - Is it normal for only the "green phone", "red phone", "calendar" and "envelope" buttons to wake it back up?
    If you want to go to straight PDA, it takes a couple of extra button presses to get there.

2 - How do you keep the screen from dimming during a phone call? Or is there an easy way to get the screen back "on" during a call without messing something up?
    While in a call, the screen goes dim pretty quickly (not sure where to adjust the timer for that) and an improperly placed touch on the screen or keypress could end the call.

3 - Where are the videos stored that are taken with the camera?
    Couldn't help myself, took some pics and videos before I installed the SD card - after I installed it, I was able to find and move the pictures to the SD card, but I can't find where the video files are to move them. I HAVE found how to change the camera app to put new pix and videos on the SD card in folders I have specified. This is more of me just wanting to know about this, I could just delete them from the media app.

4 - How do I delete 1 of a recurring series of tasks?
    I have a couple of tasks that are scheduled to happen once a week. When I try to delete it from the Treo, it doesn't ask, it just deletes the entire task, not just the one for this week - is that normal?

5 - Where do pix need to be stored for zlauncher to see them?
    I run zlauncher, and I think I see how to assign background images to each tab, but it shows no images available.. I'm assuming they have to be in a specific folder, since it won't let you "browse" for pix - what is the folder name/location it is looking for?

See, I told you they should be easy, and I'm sure the answers to all of them are somewhere on this message board, but I'll be danged if I can find them now.

Oh - for anyone thinking of buying a 650, go for it - you won't regret it. I'm coming from a higher end Dell PPC, and I can already tell that I'm going to like the 650 better.

LOL - 6 - Anyone want a good deal on a Dell Axim X50v? LOL
    Hi, congratulations on your new Treo! I can help with a few questions, hopefully other folks will respond to the others.

I believe the only setting is the Preferences > Power > "Auto-off after" setting that you already tried. I just try to think of it as battery conservation. ;-)

1a - Is it normal for only the "green phone", "red phone", "calendar" and "envelope" buttons to wake it back up? If you want to go to straight PDA, it takes a couple of extra button presses to get there.

Yup, those are the buttons that wake up the device. It sounds like you want to use a hardware button to launch zlauncher... easy to do. Go to Preferences > Buttons -- decide which button you want to map to Zlauncher, and select Zlauncher from the dropdown list.

2 - How do you keep the screen from dimming during a phone call? Or is there an easy way to get the screen back "on" during a call without messing something up?

Not sure how to prevent screen dimming during a call (another thing I just think of as battery conservation). To turn the screen back on during a call without disconnecting, press the center button.

Something I find handy to prevent hanging up by mistake: You can set your Treo touchscreen not to respond during calls by going to Preferences > Keyguard > "Disable touchscreen when" (and select "on a call").
  3.    #3  
    Thanks - I am actually not so sure that I am going to keep zlauncher, I had some weirdness going on, so I disabled it, and everything else seems to be happier. (I'm sure part of problem is trying to get everything going at once).
    to use pics as backgrounds in zlauncher all you have to do is use zlauncher to find the pic in your dcim folder then hold your finger or stylus on the image and it should give you the option to set image as background.. you should have an updated version so it should be an option..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by rctoyguy
    For the weeks before I bought my 650, I read all of the posts I could read, studied all the reviews I could, etc. I have now had it for about 2 days and I have some questions that I am sure I have read the answers to, but I don't remember them now, and I can't find them now.

I went to Preferences - Power - Auto-off after: and made it 3 minutes, but this thing seems to shut down after about 20 seconds if you aren't doing something with it. (by going to sleep, I mean the screen goes black, and the keypad is locked)

While in a call, the screen goes dim pretty quickly (not sure where to adjust the timer for that) and an improperly placed touch on the screen or keypress could end the call.
    1 and 2 can be fixed with StopDim from www.gotreosoftware.

You're on Cingular right?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  6.    #6  
    yeah, Cingular...

Gotta vent here - I am highly ticked (at myself) I just bounced my 3 day old Treo across the parking lot as I was getting out of the truck... That thing really is slippery. Pretty good scratches on the back bottom corner, and the back top corner near the camera lens. It actually looks like the lens might be cracked way over against the edge (its so close to the edge it's hard to tell for sure) - I took a couple of pix and it looks as good as normal though.

I knew it would happen sooner or later, but dangit, I wanted to at least go a week! Oh well, as someone at work said, at least it's out of the way now, so I don't have to worry about it.

This reminded me that I wanted to check on the insurance for it. When I activated it the other night, the guy I talked to at Cingular said insurance is not available for this phone - is that right? I have meant to call back and talk to someone else...
  7.    #7  
    alright, I copied a picture from lexar media:\dcim\pix-various to lexar media:\dcim\ and it still doesn't show up in zlauncher.

if I start zlauncher (it is no longer set as default launcher), then go to Menu-Theme Manager-Back Image nothing shows up and I don't see how to "browse" to any images. If I use the file manager built in to zlauncher, and find the image, click-hold on it does bring up a menu, but there is nothing about making it a background.

I'm sure this is operator error, so where am I messing up?
    Quote Originally Posted by rctoyguy
    This reminded me that I wanted to check on the insurance for it. When I activated it the other night, the guy I talked to at Cingular said insurance is not available for this phone - is that right? I have meant to call back and talk to someone else...
    Cingular prolly wont insure it, but youre regular old insurance company probably will. See if they will offer you a Personal Articles policy, I have one through State Farm as they do my home owners and car insurance and for next to nothin i insure a ton of gadgets with no deductible.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Yes, I remember reading another thread somewhere (not on this site) that had a woman who was having trouble because the company that Cingular uses for insurance does not cover the Treo 650 and almost none of their more expensive phones, even though she was actually paying for it. Apparently the people at Best Buy where she got the phone were not aware that it wasn't covered and mistakenly sold her insurance. When she needed a replacement, she discovered that it wasn't covered and is now trying to get her money back for the what she was spending every month for insurance. If I can relocate the thread, I'll post it
    found it, hope this helps:
    http://www.mobiledia.com/forum/topic26138.html

somewhere in the discussion, someone posted a list of all the phone Cingular does not insure.
    Last edited by CTROAMER; 11/18/2005 at 11:38 AM. Reason: additional info:
    I'm happy sprint does though!
    Im pretty sure no one will give you regular cell phone insurance on a Treo, Sprint may....
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I have a Cingular branded treo. I can't for the life of me find the 'preferences' menu. Help!
    RC... did you install jpeglib.prc as well when you installed zLauncher?

Look for the app called "Prefs"