Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    Last week, I started on an Enyo 2 port of FeedSpider! I'm going to be keeping a dev blog of the process. The first post is available here: FeedSpider 2 Development Blog: FeedSpider goes Cross-platform | HunterNet
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    Last week, I started on an Enyo 2 port of FeedSpider! I'm going to be keeping a dev blog of the process. The first post is available here: FeedSpider 2 Development Blog: FeedSpider goes Cross-platform | HunterNet
    Subscribed via feedspider! ;-)
    Aressel likes this.
  3.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    perhaps you can implement symkey support for those legacy keyboard phones:

Details here [Patch request]enable SYM key in enyo on webOS <3.x

and a lib for it here:
    https://github.com/webOS-ports/webos-lib
    We'll see how the port works on the legacy hardware At the moment, I'm focusing on webOS 3.x, but if it works well enough on the 2.x phones, I'll definitely add it in there.
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    Yeah.. I like it. Can't wait to try this on open webos.
  5.    #6  
    New blog post is up! FeedSpider Dev Blog: End to end (basic) functionality! | HunterNet

FeedSpider 2 is now capable of going all the way from logging in to a service to displaying an article, and things are going relatively smoothly.
    Preemptive and cbosdell like this.
  6.    #7  
    New blog post is up! FeedSpider Dev Blog: Approaching the Finish Line | HunterNet

The Enyo 2 port is almost done, and the Firefox OS - specific bits are almost out of the way. webOS 3.x will be next.
    normsland and Preemptive like this.
  7.    #8  
    The saga continues! New blog post: FeedSpider Dev Blog: Almost there! Working with Enyo Lists | HunterNet

Mostly about the trials and tribulations of working with Enyo lists. They're pretty decent, but still have some quirks.
    Interesting read. It seems you're having to recreate Mojo features in Enyo. I'm not sure how far Enyo is an app framework or whether it's the whole UI on webOS 3.0.5 / Open / LuneOS. With 'swipe to delete', are you having to implement this just for FirefoxOS or across all platforms?

When coding an Enyo app, when you write, 'perform action' (e.g. Delete item), does it:
    a. Do it in the UI style of the OS? ('delete')
    b. Do it in a way you select? ('use slide to delete')
    c. You have to code the interaction in the app? ('here's how slide to delete should look')
    d. O.S. specific code so the app is consistent across platforms? (a or b for webOS, c for FFOS)
    e. A mix of the above?

I'm curious as to how 'cross-platform' Enyo is. As you are tweaking for FFOS, do you include all the code in one app or are you versioning for the platform? It's clearly not 'write once', though obviously, the same framework. From tweaks, through versioning to total rewrite, How far are you having to go to make Feedspider cross-platform?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/19/2014 at 02:24 AM.
  9.    #10  
    Glad that you liked it I'll do my best to answer, but please forgive me if I get too technical

Enyo is one of a couple of app frameworks natively supported by webOS. To the best of my knowledge, many of the core apps are written using Enyo, but the Luna UI is not. Mojo is also supported in 3.0.5, but not in Open or LuneOS. Other frameworks are also supported (jQuery, Enyo2, etc.), but you have to package them along with your app.

Enyo lists do not support the Swipe to delete functionality in the same way as Mojo, so I have to implement this from scratch in my own way across all platforms, using the Enyo list's swipe functionality. But, the way that I am doing it, it is a cross platform solution. The workflow goes kind of like this when a user swipes:

1. Enable sticky swipe on list.
    2. Set up the swipe container, which consists of two buttons on a dark grey background.
    3. Display the container to the user over top of the list item that they are swiping.
    4. If the user hits the "Cancel" button, hide the swipe container.
    5. If the user hits the "Delete" button, hide the swipe container, remove the item from the array that defines the data for the list, update the number of items in the list, and refresh the list.
    6. The list is redrawn sans the deleted item.

All of the visual stuff is handled by the list. I just have to define what the swipe container looks like and exactly what the buttons do. (As well as making sure that the container stays visible when you swipe it across).

To answer your other question, Enyo has excellent cross-platform support so it's mostly just tweaks. 98%+ of the code that I write is the same across all platforms. I develop against Safari on the Mac and test against Firefox OS on the simulator and phone. So, that covers both WebKit and Gecko based browsers, which should be most of what I'm running into on the platforms that I plan to support. To help with this, Enyo exposes the enyo.platforms api, so that you know exactly what you're running on and can deal with platform and version specific tweaks.

So far, the only Firefox OS-specific UI tweak that I've had to do has been the one to deal with lists and floating that I mentioned. The other times that I'm writing OS-specific code have to do with OS-specific ways of doing things. So far, I've only run into that in 4 other places:

1. OAuth. Since I have to handle the authentication in a separate browser window (of one form or another), this varies a bit across platforms. For Firefox OS, I was able to write a custom Enyo Kind. For webOS, I expect to be able to use the WebView kind from webOS-Ports' webos-lib in much the same way. For the rest of the platforms, I should be able to use a Cordova in-app browser.
    2. Cross-app launching. To handle the launching of URLs and sharing to other applications, the mechanisms are different across platforms. For example, webOS uses the com.palm.applicationManager service, and Firefox OS uses web activities. It just means that I have a kind that handles the launches based on platform, with the majority of the code being the same, except for the actual launch.
    3. Device orientation. Slightly different calls are used here. (PalmSystem.setWindowOrientation vs screen.mozLockOrientation("portrait") and screen.mozUnlockOrientation())
    4. Scheduled app relaunches. In order to re-launch the app to check for updated feeds, I can use the com.palm.power/timeout service on webOS to set a recurring timer for the app to launch. On Firefox OS, I can use the Alarm API to re-launch the app. Unfortunately, I need to reset the alarm each time. You can't set a recurring one yet. I haven't looked into it on other platforms yet though.

That wound up being longer than I expected! Hope that clarifies a few things
    Preemptive likes this.
    So Luna handles cards, just type, launcher, etc. What's in the card is via a framework (or native). You need to recreate some familiar webOS stuff in Enyo 2, but only a few tweaks are needed for particular platforms.

Thanks. Very informative & some of your work may be useful to others wanting to make webOS style apps.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    So Luna handles cards, just type, launcher, etc. What's in the card is via a framework (or native). You need to recreate some familiar webOS stuff in Enyo 2, but only a few tweaks are needed for particular platforms.

Thanks. Very informative & some of your work may be useful to others wanting to make webOS style apps.
    In a nutshell, yes. Also, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Luna$ $uses$ $HTML$ + $Javascript$ $in$ $some$ $capacity$ $to$ $do$ $the$ $UI$, $but$ $I$ $have$ $not$ $been$ $involved$ $on$ $that$ $side$ $at$ $all$, $so$ $I$ $can$'$t$ $give$ $you$ $an$ $authoritative$ $answer$. $You$'$d$ $have$ $to$ $ask$ $someone$ $much$ $more$ $qualified$ $than$ $me$

On another note, do you mind if I adapt the question/answer for a blog post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    In a nutshell, yes. Also, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Luna$ $uses$ $HTML$ + $Javascript$ $in$ $some$ $capacity$ $to$ $do$ $the$ $UI$, $but$ $I$ $have$ $not$ $been$ $involved$ $on$ $that$ $side$ $at$ $all$, $so$ $I$ $can$'$t$ $give$ $you$ $an$ $authoritative$ $answer$. $You$'$d$ $have$ $to$ $ask$ $someone$ $much$ $more$ $qualified$ $than$ $me$

Adapt away!

We actually use QML but it's syntax is mainly consisting of Javascript. Coding style wise it looks VERY similar to Enyo!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  14.    #15  
    Ok, I just got myself a Mozilla Flame and was looking for a replacement to my beloevd Feedspider on Firefox OS. Many thanks for porting it just in time. Trying it asap...

Ehem, where is the github repo?
    Just read yousubscribed it to the marketplace. Canīt wait!! Feedmonkey is no match...
    Last edited by Lispy; 07/25/2014 at 04:39 AM.
  16.    #17  
    FeedSpider 1.0.1 (Fixes a couple of critical issues) is up in the Firefox Marketplace for those who are interested: https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/feedspider

I have a couple of things still to work on in the common codebase (ie. localization), then I'll work on webOS 3.x/LuneOS support.
  17.    #18  
    After far too long away, a new blog post is up: FeedSpider Dev Blog: …and We’re Back! | HunterNet

Talks about issues with FirefoxOS 2.x, the new release that just went up in the Marketplace last week, and a return to webOS with early successes on webOS and LuneOS. Now, webOS development continues full steam!

Oh, and we're open source again too: https://github.com/OthelloVenturesLtd/FeedSpider2
    Choorp and normsland like this.
    Nice post. You quoted me. I feel so important. I do wonder if the pane sliding view could be implemented in FeedSpider. Seems missing from the app. Thoughts?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  19.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Nice post. You quoted me. I feel so important. I do wonder if the pane sliding view could be implemented in FeedSpider. Seems missing from the app. Thoughts?
    I feel important just being mentioned. And besides, who can pass up the chance to quote praise like that?

To answer your other question, The UI was built using enyo.Panels, with a bit of trickery to switch between them. So it would certainly be possible to switch to a more traditional sliding panels view (or at least to make it an option). I'm a fan of the existing interface though. I think that it's a bit cleaner.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast