Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    My new Feeder fork FeedSpider has just been accepted to the App Catalog!

Now that FeedSpider properly implements The Old Reader's API and is available to everyone, there is just one more thing to do: get it it's own icon. I'm not a graphic designer by any sense of the imagination, so I am turning to the community for help.

If you're interested in participating, please submit a design to this thread!
    Last edited by Aressel; 07/12/2013 at 03:22 PM.
    But for the copyright issue, a line drawing of Spider Man lifting his mask in order to bite into a burger would be a hoot.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    I just found a site that sells royalty-free spider clip art: Royalty Free Vector Spider Clip Art

This "non-exclusive" design is cool and costs only $2: http://www.spiderclipart.com/files/p...right_2012.jpg

You'd probably need to email them to confirm that an app logo is an allowed use, and you'd have to live with not being able to trademark it, but it's a pro-quality graphic and cheap! Since you get vector art on a transparent background, it would be easy to add a colored background in Photoshop or other image editor.

If you decide to go this route, but need help developing/adding a background, just let me know--I could help you with that.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    My new Feeder fork FeedSpider has just been accepted to the App Catalog!

Now that FeedSpider properly implements The Old Reader's API and is available to everyone, there is just one more thing to do: get it it's own icon. I'm not a graphic designer by any sense of the imagination, so I am turning to the community for help.

If you're interested in participating, please submit a design to this thread!
    i'm somewhat graphically inclined; i'd be happy to submit something for you to use as an icon.

but to do so, i feel i need to better understand....what a "feed" is.

right now i'm thinking a spider holding a fork and knife. maybe in a web that has 'webOS' spelled within it. black on white, maybe one supplemental color. happy expression, cartoonish.

sound like something you'd want?
    @TJ,

RSS feed, the orange square with a "WiFi" style symbol in white, consisting of a dot and two curved lines. I'm sure you've seen it a 1,000 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @TJ,

RSS feed, the orange square with a "WiFi" style symbol in white, consisting of a dot and two curved lines. I'm sure you've seen it a 1,000 times
    yeah, i've seen that little orange box. what does it feed you? is it like twitter?
    :p
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    yeah, i've seen that little orange box. what does it feed you? is it like twitter?
    I think so, i've never used RSS feeds, but it allows you to subscribe to blogs and news sites, then watch the feed and click on the stories you want to read...
    @OP,

If you'd like a generic RSS icon in the exact style as the default webOS icon sets, have a look at this one: RSS by ~BlueMalboro on deviantART

I know this is a "make" request, but if nothing else, this might be an option
    Last edited by Remy X; 07/14/2013 at 01:12 AM.
    Quite obviously it is about your own, personal Spider Bot uncovering RSS feeds... So...

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/1bd...ofnqd5zafg.jpg

Sorry, can't hotlink images in this forum.

I'll also send it to you by PM, Aressel.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Aressel and cbosdell like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    RSS stand for Really Simple Syndication. It essentially offers headlines from your favourite websites that you can click on to read or go to the website itself.

So the reader program can keep you up to date with news in the way you email app shows new email, but without you having to visit each site to catch up.

Here is the feed for webOSnation - sadly not updated for sometime...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Could someone post the requirements for app icons?

By this I mean format, resolution, colour-depth etc.

Presumably, you want, App icon, Large Notification icon and Small Notification icon, with varying version of those for the different resolutions of screens - Pre2. 3 & Touchpad for example.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Could someone post the requirements for app icons?

By this I mean format, resolution, colour-depth etc.

Presumably, you want, App icon, Large Notification icon and Small Notification icon, with varying version of those for the different resolutions of screens - Pre2. 3 & Touchpad for example.
    The current app includes 3 versions of the icon (PNG files) which are defined in the appinfo.json file: A 256x256 version, which is defined as the "splashicon", a 64 x 64 version which is defined as the "icon", and a 48x48 version which is defined as the "miniicon".

As far as I can tell (and a more experienced Mojo developer may be able to correct me on this one) they are used as follows:

256x256: Splashscreen icon for when the app launches. (Touchpad only? The pre 3 may use the smaller icon)
    64x64: The app's icon in the launcher, also used in the dashboard for notifications.
    48x48: The app's icon in the dashboard when the dashboard is minimized. (Phone only. The Touchpad uses the higher resolution one. I suspect that this one may also always be rendered as greyscale).

All this is handled by mojo behind the scenes, so it looks like it does some dynamic resizing and the like too to handle different screen sizes, resolutions, etc.

As far as color depth goes, it looks like we have a fair amount of flexibility, (see https://github.com/OthelloVentures/t...feeder_250.png), and there are no specific design guidelines. Here's all that WebOS Internals has to say on the subject: Mojo Design Icons - WebOS Internals

Also in an unrelated note, I'm happy to say that we have hit 165 downloads. It's not much, but it's a good start.
    So what's the status on the app icon?

Having named this baby, I'm anxious to see his picture.

RumoredNow likes this.
  15.    #15  
    Sorry to be absent from this thread for so long. It's been a busy week. RumoredNow's entry is a great one, but I will have to get in touch with him to see if he can resize it at all, as it needs to be a bit more square. If he can do that, then that looks like the one to go with.
    RumoredNow likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for playing, everybody! The latest build with the new icon is up in the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    Thanks for playing, everybody! The latest build with the new icon is up in the other thread.
    When will it hit the App Catalog?

Any chance you could post the icon here?

Or maybe just use it as your forum profile's avatar...

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    When will it hit the App Catalog?
    I submitted it yesterday, and it is currently marked as "Ready for Review" in the developer portal, so hopefully soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Or maybe just use it as your forum profile's avatar...
    Good idea!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RumoredNow likes this.
    That logo looks fantastic!
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    bethel95 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast