Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
  1.    #1  
    With the death of Google Reader a week some months ago, and based on a request from Dunn-, I have forked the code to SemicolonApps' excellent Reader app Feeder (https://github.com/darrinholst/feeder-webos), which has been unsupported for over a year now (and has been my daily driver for almost that long) to create a client that is compatible with Feedly's API, The Old Reader's beta API, InoReader's API, BazQux Reader's API, Tiny Tiny Reader's API, AOL Reader's API, and OwnCloud News' API.

Introducing: FeedSpider!

What works? All the basics:

- Loading Subscriptions
    - Reading Articles
    - Marking articles as read/unread
    - Marking all articles in a subscription as read/unread
    - Sharing via email/sms
    - Sharing via Facebook (phone only)
    - Sharing via Twitter via Project Macaw, Spaz, and Glimpse
    - Sharing via Quick Post
    - Adding/Removing Subscriptions
    - "Star"ing or "Like"ing items.
    - [InoReader and Tiny Tiny RSS] Sharing items via the "shared" feed.

What doesn't work yet:

- [AOL Reader, The Old Reader, Feedly, OwnCloud News and BazQux Reader] Sharing items via the "shared" feed. This is also a limitation of the API and cannot be fixed until the API is updated.
    - Searching your feeds. API Limitation.
    - Logging in via your Google/Facebook account (OAuth). Again, limitation of the API. At the moment, you can set a password in The Old Reader/InoReader/BazQux Reader's web interface and log in using that.
    - [Feedly on webOS 1.4.5 only] Cannot delete folders, unsubscribe from feeds, or unstar items. Also, must re-login every week or so. This is due to the version of webkit used by 1.4.5. Later versions work correctly.
    - [OwnCloud News on webOS 1.4.5 only] Cannot delete folders or unsubscribe from feeds. This is due to the version of webkit used by 1.4.5. Later versions work correctly.

What needs to be updated:

- The list of Twitter apps to share to (ie. Spaz is dead due to API changes Spaz is back!) Done and up to date.
    - Some of the non email/sms sharing options We've got a pretty good roster.

What happens next:

1. I will submit the currently working build to the App Catalog. Accepted and Posted!
    2. I will then work on updating the things that need to be fixed and updated.
    3. I will attempt to add support for other services as APIs become available. Current plans include Tiny Tiny RSS (roll your own!), OwnCloud, AOL Reader, Digg Reader (Still waiting on that API!), InoReader, and Feedly.

How you can help:

1. Name Suggestions. The working title for the fork is "The Old Feeder". It's punny, I know, but I don't have a better idea. I'd appreciate any suggestions that people might have. Found a good name, the app is now FeedSpider. (Thanks to bethel95!)

2. Testing. I have tested this on my Touchpad (3.0.5) and my Pre3 (2.2.4) and it works. I have not made any fundamental changes to the app, so I have good reason to believe that it should still work on anything 1.4.5 and up. Also, I have not been able to test all of the social apps, as I don't have all of them. But again, if they worked before, they should still work.

3. Twitter client integration. If you are managing a Twitter client that supports launching with the post box pre-populated, please let me know, and I will try and integrate support into the client. What Twitter clients are still being developed right now aside from Project Macaw and sprw?

4. Icon contest. Feedly had a nice icon, but FeedSpider really needs one of it's own. Any graphics guys out there willing to help? Thanks to RumoredNow for the winning icon design!

Finally, how to install:

1. Download and install the ipk via WOSQI, install from the App Catalog, or add the FeedSpider repository (Index of /packages) to Preware

2. Set up a Feedly account at feedly.com (or through the app), an AOL account at reader.aol.com (or through the app), a BazQux Reader account at bazqux.com, a The Old Reader account at theoldreader.com, an InoReader account at inoreader.com, or set up your own Tiny Tiny RSS or OwnCloud Server. Import data, or add subscriptions as required.

3. If you set up your account via google auth or facebook auth, then:
    For the Old Reader, go to the "Name" menu and go to settings. Then, set a password for yourself.
    For InoReader, Click on the Gear, then Profile. Then, set a password for yourself.
    For Feedly, just log in through the app.
    For AOL Reader, just log in through the app.
    For BazQux Reader , Go to Settings (icon in the top right corner) » Mobile login and set your login & password.

4. Log into the app using the email address and password that you set up. If you are using Tiny Tiny RSS, you will need to give the full path to your TT-RSS instance including http:// or https://

------

Questions, comments, support issues, etc. this is the thread for them. Want to look at the code or compile it yourself? Find it on github: https://github.com/OthelloVentures/feedspider
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Aressel; 03/18/2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: New build
  2.    #2  
    Changelog:

- re-added support for Spaz (available from Mobo Mobile)
    - added option to shorten URL for social media posts
    - fixed virtual keyboard not appearing for oauth login

- added Tiny font option

- added support for OwnCloud News

- added support for AOL Reader
    - added support for the "Fresh" and "Archived" feeds in Tiny Tiny RSS
    - added support for mixes in Feedly

- replaced JSON parser to stop feeds from hanging
    - fixed bug in TT-RSS regarding badly sorted aggregate feeds

- streamlined apis
    - fixed bug in Feedly regarding starring and un-starring articles

- bugfixes for Tiny Tiny RSS

- added support for Tiny Tiny RSS

- fixed bugs relating to Feedly login on webOS 1.4.5

- version bump for app catalog

- added support for BazQux Reader
    - re-ordered service choices for login

- added support for Feedly (production)
    - fixed a bug that would cause FeedSpider to keep requesting a new Feedly token
    - added token validation checks on Feedly PUT and DELETE requests

- added support for starring articles in The Old Reader
    - added support for Feedly (sandbox)
    - fixed a bug when searching for feeds fails

- improved handling of images in feeds
    - added support for tweeting via the webOS Browser
    - fixed a bug that would allow a user to bring up the search box when the API does not support it

- fixed issue with feed names not displaying correctly
    - added experimental support for Simplified Chinese. (Thanks to konglang_616 for the translation!)
    - added support for copying article URLs to clipboard

0.9.1:
    - bugfixes

0.9.0:
    - added support for InoReader

0.8.5:
    - new icon (Thanks RumoredNow!)
    - added support for Glimpse
    - added support for Quick Post

0.8.4:
    - added Dark Theme
    - removed Metrix tracking (service no longer available)

0.8.3:
    - changed name from The Old Feeder to FeedSpider
    - fixed missing Notification Bar icon on phones

0.8.2:
    - disable the search feature due to API incompatibility

0.8.1:
    - add Project Macaw to sharing options
    - fix bug when displaying the "All" feed inside a folder

0.8.0:
    - change app to support The Old Reader after Google Reader shutdown
    Last edited by Aressel; 03/18/2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Updated Changelog
    Hello.

Thanks for supporting webOS with your work. I expect you've seen The Old Reader has a page for api apps. Don't forget to put yours on it when you are ready.

I have set up an account with the old reader and set up some test feeds.

I downloaded your app, extracted it to a folder in my Pre2 (2.2.4) and installed it using the menu option in Preware.

It worked first time when I logged in.

1. Name Suggestions.

webRSS or web Ol' RSS (more puns!) I suppose you want to avoid referencing the old reader specifically if you intend to support other services like feedly.

2. Testing.

Seems to work fine so far. May I ask (with an eye to the future) is this compatible with OpenwebOS / Ports (i,e Enyo?). If so, I guess you can also advertise on the Old reader page that it is cross platform.

3. Twitter client integration.

I have Macaw if you want me to test integration with that.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/06/2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Twitter client integration.

I have Macaw if you want me to test integration with that.
    Great work! ProjectMacaw launch info:

Code:
    AppID:"net.minego.phnx"

Tweet with Project Macaw
    "launchParam":{ "action": "tweet", "msg":"#{messageToTweet}" }

Search User Project Macaw
    "launchParam":{ "action": "user", "userid":"#{userName}" }

Search Project Macaw
    "launchParam":{ "action": "search", "searchTerms":"#{searchTerms}" }
    Thanks,
    Baldric
    Since Feedly doesn't have a public API, how about Digg's new reader? They seem to be trying really hard to capture as much of GR's user base as they can, so they may be open to a request for a public API (or maybe it's already there?).

See this post in Digg's blog:
    http://blog.digg.com/post/4535570133...lding-a-reader

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre³ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre³ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  6.    #6  
    To respond to the comments so far:

I have set up an account with the old reader and set up some test feeds.

I downloaded your app, extracted it to a folder in my Pre2 (2.2.4) and installed it using the menu option in Preware.

It worked first time when I logged in.
    Awesome!

1. Name Suggestions.

webRSS or web Ol' RSS (more puns!) I suppose you want to avoid referencing the old reader specifically if you intend to support other services like feedly.
    I'll think about the puns Support for more services is the driving force behind the name change though.

2. Testing.

Seems to work fine so far. May I ask (with an eye to the future) is this compatible with OpenwebOS / Ports (i,e Enyo?). If so, I guess you can also advertise on the Old reader page that it is cross platform.
    This, unfortunately, is a Mojo app, so would require a complete rewrite to be compatible with OwOS. Maybe someday...

@Baldric: Thanks! I'll implement support in the next build.

@bethel95: Thanks for bringing up Digg. I did a bit of poking around the various Google Reader successors, and found a great chart over here TheOldReader Sync Implemented | LZone.

It looks like The Old Reader is the first one out the gate with a public API, and AOL reader has partial API support. I may look at implementing that one next. I'll look at Digg Reader and Feedly when their APIs become available.

One other note: if you run into the bug where it will not load the "All Feeds" feed inside a folder, I know about it and will try and fix it in the next build.
    Haha well this was a pleasant surprise after sitting in 6 hours of July 4th weekend traffic.

I love everything about this, the name Old Feeder, what you did, and what you're doing.

I will install it, take her out for a spin and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

-Dunn
  8.    #8  
    New version (0.8.1) is up! Adds support for Project Macaw and makes a change to fix a bug where aggregated feeds (like "All Items") were not available.

I'm going to see about getting this posted to the App Catalog as a free app.
    Preemptive likes this.
  9.    #9  
    One more new version (0.8.2) this disables the search feature, as The Old Reader's API does not support it yet.

The app has been submitted to the App Catalog. We'll have to see what HP says.
    I'm still on the first version. One thing I've noticed is that there is an icon for the 'large' notification, but nothing for the smaller one, so there is just a black strip/shortened screen height. It still works - tap & you get the large icon with how many new articles there are, but it either needs a small icon or a fix to show it.

Also, swiping toggles read or unread status for each title. I'd quite like the option to additionally delete the ones I've read and have finished with or am just not interested in - then you get a more concise list: Ones to read, ones to reread, but nothing irrelevant. I've no idea how difficult it might be to do this - especially with a list that updates.

Finally, another attempt at a name: What lives in a web and always wants feeding? "The Hungry Spider". So you could personify the app with a cartoon spider icon if you like that idea.

OK, I'd better download the latest version! Good work! You move fast!
    Works BEAUTIFULLY. I was just trying to figure out what can I replace Feeds Free with.

One minor nitpick but it's not your fault, is the mark all as read button... would be more useful if it's a button to toggle show and hide read articles.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    BorkZorkOrc likes this.
    Finally, another attempt at a name: What lives in a web and always wants feeding? "The Hungry Spider". So you could personify the app with a cartoon spider icon if you like that idea.
    I like the direction you're heading, but to be a catalog app, I think the name should give some clue to the app's function. How about FeedSpider?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre³ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre³ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Aressel likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Works BEAUTIFULLY. I was just trying to figure out what can I replace Feeds Free with.

One minor nitpick but it's not your fault, is the mark all as read button... would be more useful if it's a button to toggle show and hide read articles.
    I can't take credit for adding this feature, but if you tap and hold on the feed name, it will pull up a menu that gives you that option.
    Last edited by Aressel; 07/10/2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Fix Broken Quote Tag
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I like the direction you're heading, but to be a catalog app, I think the name should give some clue to the app's function. How about FeedSpider?
    I love it! I've pulled the catalog request and will resubmit under the new name. I've also registered the domain feedspider.net (unfortunately feedspider.com was taken).
  15.    #15  
    I'm still on the first version. One thing I've noticed is that there is an icon for the 'large' notification, but nothing for the smaller one, so there is just a black strip/shortened screen height. It still works - tap & you get the large icon with how many new articles there are, but it either needs a small icon or a fix to show it.
    I assume that it is with the updates notification? What device are you running into this issue on? Can you send screenshots?
    I think that I've repro'd it on my Pre3. I will dig into the code tomorrow if I can find some time. Most likely it is just a missing icon.

Also, swiping toggles read or unread status for each title. I'd quite like the option to additionally delete the ones I've read and have finished with or am just not interested in - then you get a more concise list: Ones to read, ones to reread, but nothing irrelevant. I've no idea how difficult it might be to do this - especially with a list that updates.
    All of the data relating to the account and subscribed feeds, such as Read/Unread status, etc. is stored on the The Old Reader's server. The app pulls down this listing from the server every time that it updates. So, there isn't a mechanism for "deleting" posts in the way that you are thinking of.

In order to do that, I would need to implement some statefulness in the app (possibly an offline mode) that would not be able to synchronize between copies of the app (ie between your phone and your Touchpad) without a secondary web service of some sort.

TL;DR: Difficult and time-consuming to do. Not impossible though, and an interesting idea. So, it is something that I may tackle in the future, after I have finished some of the other ideas that I am working on.
    Last edited by Aressel; 07/10/2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Repro'd issue
    Anyone having problems logging on with the app? Kept giving me Login failed... was working this morning.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Anyone having problems logging on with the app? Kept giving me Login failed... was working this morning.
    It seems like they have been having some server problems on their end recently: Unable to log in in The Old Reader Forum
  18.    #18  
    New build, 0.8.3 is up. Changes the name to FeedSpider and fixes the issue on phones with the missing icon in the notification tray.

Please note that I have changed the App ID on this one, so it will install as a completely new app. I'm happy with the name now, so don't worry - this is not something that I plan to do again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    I love it! I've pulled the catalog request and will resubmit under the new name. I've also registered the domain feedspider.net (unfortunately feedspider.com was taken).
    .net is more fitting anyway. ;-)

If you are missing an icon, maybe it's time to promote your app with an icon competition?

I'll try to remember to screen grab next time there are new articles, but I think I described it OK. Large notification Icon on the left with text / no small notification icon on the right - just the black strip where it should appear. No lost functionality.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/11/2013 at 07:47 PM.
    How about fork another one with the AOL Reader's API?

Thank you
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast