Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    It seems like they have been having some server problems on their end recently: Unable to log in in The Old Reader Forum
    It's back now... and thanks for the tip for the read article toggle.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    If you are missing an icon, maybe it's time to promote your app with an icon competition?
    Great idea! I'll put together a post.

I'll try to remember to screen grab next time there are new articles, but I think I described it OK. Large notification Icon on the left with text / no small notification icon on the right - just the black strip where it should appear. No lost functionality.
    Try the latest build (available in the App Catalog). It fixes it on my Pre3.
  3.    #23  
    .net is more fitting anyway. ;-)
    True dat!

If you are missing an icon, maybe it's time to promote your app with an icon competition?
    Yeah, there are enough lame app icons in the catalog already...

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre³ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre³ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    I love it! I've pulled the catalog request and will resubmit under the new name. I've also registered the domain feedspider.net (unfortunately feedspider.com was taken).
    I just saw that a new .web TLD is planned, and that advance domain registrations are being taken.

Depending on what ambitions you have for porting Feedspider to other platforms (to make some $$ off of it; perhaps an Enyo version?), getting your hands on www.feedspider.web would be ultra-cool.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre³ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre³ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  6.    #26  
    New build (0.8.4) is up, and is being submitted to the app catalog as we speak.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Thanks for this! Works great so far on my Veer. I had been reading rss feeds using inoreader through the browser since the web version of the Old Reader was pretty slow on the Veer. This helps a lot.
    Anybody seeing problems with newest articles show up? Not related to the app but more to do with the server crash they had. I went on the home page of TOR and it says that I have new articles in some feeds, but when I open that feed I only see articles from a while back.
    We might want to start looking into alternatives.

http://blog.theoldreader.com/post/56...erate-measures

Can we bug Feedly again for API access?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I tried to fill out the form, but they are asking a lot of questions...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oHU...1#start=invite
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    We might want to start looking into alternatives.

http://blog.theoldreader.com/post/56...erate-measures

Can we bug Feedly again for API access?
    This is unfortunate. They have a great product and a good API, but if it is taking over this much of their lives, when they don't have a good way to monetize it, then I thank that they're making the right decision.

So that means for most of the users of the app, we will have to execute some sort of backup plan. Unfortunately, webOS receives fairly little love these days when it comes to access to exclusive APIs. I have requests into Feedly and Digg, but they seem to have priorities higher than making an public API available. Hopefully they get to it soon. Digg, at least, has one planned. Go here and vote it up if you want it.

The three options that have APIs available at the moment are Tiny Tiny RSS (a roll your own solution, which honestly looks tempting after this), NewsBlur, and AOL Reader. Unfortunately, the first two have rather unGoogle-like APIs, so would require significant rewrites of the app, and AOL's is fairly limited. However, as AOL seems to be the lesser of the evils (ironic, eh?), it looks like it will have to be the next target.

I'll see what I can come up with
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Can I make a suggestion? I had been using Inoreader as my Google Reader replacement on my browser. There is both desktop and mobile sites. I liked it more than the Old Reader for the mobile browser. Desktop versions are about the same.

Desktop: InoReader; Light and Fast RSS Reader

Mobile: http://www.inoreader.com/m/

I only went back to the Old Reader after learning about FeedSpider. Now that the Old Reader is ending, is it possible to make FeedSpider work with Inoreader? Seems like they just released their API and it may be similar to Google Reader. I don't have any knowledge about this stuff. Hope you find this information useful.

@InoReader #API released! Docs api [InoReader Wiki] Discuss InoReader forums • View forum - Public API Welcome developers!

https://twitter.com/InoReader/status/359572579805175808
    Last edited by hangten10; 07/29/2013 at 06:55 PM.
    I would still vote for Feedly if possible. Seems like that's where all the traffic is these days, and they seem to manage their capacity issues just fine.

I tweeted them to urge them to give us the API:
    https://twitter.com/ToniCipriani5/st...71379505074176

14.    #34  
    The plan is to ultimately support whatever is available. I took a look at the InoReader API, and it looks to be another Google Reader clone, so it *should* be relatively straightforward to add support.

I will tackle it first, as AOL reader is a little more involved, and I need to add support for multiple providers anyways, so this is a good way to do this. AOL reader will be next on the list, as I expect that I will need to add OAuth2 support for Feedly anyways.

Don't worry, I will add Feedly support as soon as I get access to their API. But I can't do anything until then, so stop asking! ;-)
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    The plan is to ultimately support whatever is available. I took a look at the InoReader API, and it looks to be another Google Reader clone, so it *should* be relatively straightforward to add support.

I will tackle it first, as AOL reader is a little more involved, and I need to add support for multiple providers anyways, so this is a good way to do this. AOL reader will be next on the list, as I expect that I will need to add OAuth2 support for Feedly anyways.

Don't worry, I will add Feedly support as soon as I get access to their API. But I can't do anything until then, so stop asking! ;-)
    how about looking at zhephree"s FezReader?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    how about looking at zhephree"s FezReader?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I would love to support one of our own, and he says that he plans to have a Google Reader-compatable API available, so as soon as he does, I'll add support.
    Hi,

This probably isn't useful, but I've been trying a thing called Rainmeter on the desktop. It's basically a set of displays to make the desktop look 'fancy'. One option was RSS feeds. These were tied into google reader and went dark when it closed.

I went looking and found this:

Rainmeter Forums - View topic - Google Reader Alternatives for Rainmeter

So I'm now using uninews, which seems to be a reader built in the scripting language for Rainmeter. As I recall, I just had to alter URL's for each instance/feed of this display. I can upload the file if you want. Creative Commons license & 70kb. Obviously, this won't just work on webOS, but perhaps the mechanism might be of interest to those that understand this stuff.

Of course, I'm entirely ignorant here, but you may have guessed that I'm working towards the suggestion that feedspider might move from being a front end for various readers to being a reader itself. I have no idea how much work this would involve or if it is advantageous over the current appoach. My use of RSS has been with live bookmarks, rainmeter or feedspider, so I have no preferred reader site - the old reader is the only one I've tried & just to use the app.

In rainmeter, clicking the headline opens the website in the browser - as does clicking 'read more' in feedspider, so I rarely see a reader website and have no preference...

Or we could lobby the old reader to keep it's doors open for the pitifully small webOS community,,,! ;-)

In fact, maybe that's not such a bad idea - as Aressel has gone to the trouble of building this app for their API, they might look kindly upon it. Maybe introduce an app id in the API and allow feedspider access. What was the last count? 165 downloads? As long as subscriptions were via the app it might work... or we somehow confirm we are all on webOS to get our accounts protected from the purge...

No harm in asking.
  18.    #38  
    There was an update to the blog post here. It looks like they may not be shutting down after all!

Don't worry, app development will continue as planned. I don't want to have another scare like this :-)
    Last edited by Aressel; 07/30/2013 at 10:51 AM.
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    Yeah, we can all relax. I've heard that thanks to the webOS connection, HP have bought them out and will be doubling down....

;-)

...but c'mon we're all used to these deaths and revivals now!
  20.    #40  
    I went looking and found this:

Rainmeter Forums - View topic - Google Reader Alternatives for Rainmeter

So I'm now using uninews, which seems to be a reader built in the scripting language for Rainmeter. As I recall, I just had to alter URL's for each instance/feed of this display. I can upload the file if you want. Creative Commons license & 70kb. Obviously, this won't just work on webOS, but perhaps the mechanism might be of interest to those that understand this stuff.
    Thanks! I took a quick look, and it looks like it's done in LUA, which is not directly supported by webOS, but I might be able to glean some information from it.

Of course, I'm entirely ignorant here, but you may have guessed that I'm working towards the suggestion that feedspider might move from being a front end for various readers to being a reader itself. I have no idea how much work this would involve or if it is advantageous over the current appoach. My use of RSS has been with live bookmarks, rainmeter or feedspider, so I have no preferred reader site - the old reader is the only one I've tried & just to use the app.
    While an "offline mode" like this is certainly possible, it would require a significant re-architecting of the app. It is currently designed as an online Google Reader-type client, so there is no provision for local storage. I would like to add it someday, but that is way down the roadmap. If you need something right now for webOS that does not depend on a web service, then there are a number of apps available, such as Headlines2. Even Glimpse offers an RSS widget.

In fact, maybe that's not such a bad idea - as Aressel has gone to the trouble of building this app for their API, they might look kindly upon it. Maybe introduce an app id in the API and allow feedspider access. What was the last count? 165 downloads? As long as subscriptions were via the app it might work... or we somehow confirm we are all on webOS to get our accounts protected from the purge...
    555 downloads as of today and new downloads keep trickling in.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast