webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Enlightened Linux Solutions > [App] Home Control
[App] Home Control
Like Tree20Likes

Old 11/02/2011, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

This app is now available in the public feed. The app is meant to be able to control various devices and applications through a server (some devices can be controlled directly). I am hoping that this app can make it to the App Catalog. Application can be run in all devices running webOS 2.1 or later and has Enyo installed.

For me this means that I can control my devices in my living room (with IR usb dongle) and music playing from my PC etc. The design will be modular so all kinds of different things can be supported in the future. Server side software is required which is coded using node.js so it can be run in any operating system, but at least my main interest is to support Linux based desktop/servers.

If you want to write a server side module for this app please post about it here. The server module can be anything that is able to control some entity that is written with node.js. I can make the application extension for the module so no need to make the UI side.

Naturally MS 3.x will have support for controlling this app so you can lets say make your music stop once you leave home automatically etc.

The server application is available in npm repository, see the wiki for instructions how to install.

See wiki for information about currently supported and upcoming features.

Current outlook of the application:

If you want to support my work please consider donating.

For the UPNP support you should also donate for Donald Kirker.

- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.

Last edited by sconix; 12/20/2011 at 04:35 AM.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by GreenHex, dkirker, bluenote and 11 others like this.
Old 11/02/2011, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am (albeit slowly) working on a UPnP/DLNA media control library for webOS. It shouldn't be hard to write a server side module for that, either. I'd love to integrate it.
Old 11/02/2011, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Holy Crap!
innocentbystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Man, that looks great. How are you authenticating the client?
dsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsei View Post
Man, that looks great. How are you authenticating the client?
Thanks, it looks much better on the device though

At the moment this is meant to be used in a WLAN, i.e. server not open to outside world so there is no authentication. Later on there of course will be support for controlling some stuff over the internet so then there will be proper authentication.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Thanked By: dsei
Old 11/02/2011, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

WoW!
pgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

needless to say, i am excited for this. donating.
poploser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2011, 01:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

This is great! I would be interested in contributing towards a c-bus server module if there is interest.
cmcrae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2011, 04:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Looks like a candidate for finally getting MPD support on webOS!
eliasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2011, 05:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Impressive, to say the least!
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2011, 05:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasp View Post
Looks like a candidate for finally getting MPD support on webOS!
I guess MPD is quite popular so I might put together a MPD server module as well, once I have cleaned up the code and finished at least the music player extension and hopefully a video player extension then I will make an alpha release so people can already test and use this. The next module I would like to write is a lirc module so you can control your device through IR.
Liked by eliasp likes this.
Thanked By: eliasp
Old 11/03/2011, 05:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcrae1 View Post
This is great! I would be interested in contributing towards a c-bus server module if there is interest.
I don't have stuff that uses c-bus, but I am sure it would be a wanted feature.
Old 11/03/2011, 06:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm interested about this app, but I don't understand how it actually works ? As for T for instance, where do you place your probe and how do you connect it to the server ?

I really like the idea, but will you provide some manual to put everything in place ? From devices installation to server configuration ?

It would be really awesome to have a step by step guide to have EVERY single module working so that everybody could enjoy this technology !!
Old 11/03/2011, 06:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

nicr work! will this work on a mac? I will hold off buying itunesremote and donate to this.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2011, 07:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
I'm interested about this app, but I don't understand how it actually works ? As for T for instance, where do you place your probe and how do you connect it to the server ?

I really like the idea, but will you provide some manual to put everything in place ? From devices installation to server configuration ?

It would be really awesome to have a step by step guide to have EVERY single module working so that everybody could enjoy this technology !!
For temperature the 1-wire protocol is supported at the moment. You can google to it, there are lots of hardware related to 1-wire protocol. The temperature sensors are very cheap, ~2$ each, and they need only 2 wires which is enough to as many sensors as you want to connect on the wires. Also the needed USB adapter is cheap. I have routed one wire through my apartment all the way outside, so I get temperatures for outside, inside and even Sauna

My setup is DS2490 compatible USB adapter that has RJ-11 connector. The wire I used was normal RJ-11 cable and the sensors I places inside a small RJ-11 connector boxes (i.e. connector that allows connecting two RJ-11 cables together) so I can chain the sensors and need only one wire to route.

The server application has short instructions to set up all the supported modules, and I can always provide more info needed. And the server side is pretty much automated, so as long as you have drivers for the hardware it should work (at the moment only Linux supported but support for other OS'ses should be possible).
Liked by blackotto likes this.
Thanked By: blackotto
Old 11/03/2011, 07:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
nicr work! will this work on a mac? I will hold off buying itunesremote and donate to this.
Anything that can be controlled by writing a node.js module can be supported (well basically anything that can be controlled through some sort of API) and quick googling tells that at least somebody has been working or started a iTunes node.js module.

Last edited by sconix; 11/03/2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11/03/2011, 09:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconix View Post
I guess MPD is quite popular so I might put together a MPD server module as well, once I have cleaned up the code and finished at least the music player extension and hopefully a video player extension then I will make an alpha release so people can already test and use this. The next module I would like to write is a lirc module so you can control your device through IR.
I'm willing to beta-test the hell out of the MPD support...

For implementing MPD support, take a look at this: Client Libraries - Music Player Daemon Community Wiki

Although there's no node.js library yet, it might help to look at some of these libraries.
Furthermore, here's a full protocol specification: The Music Player Daemon protocol (the protocol documentation in the Wiki is outdated).
eliasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2011, 09:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasp View Post
I'm willing to beta-test the hell out of the MPD support...

For implementing MPD support, take a look at this: Client Libraries - Music Player Daemon Community Wiki

Although there's no node.js library yet, it might help to look at some of these libraries.
Furthermore, here's a full protocol specification: The Music Player Daemon protocol (the protocol documentation in the Wiki is outdated).
Thanks, I am trying to get the MPD support into first alpha release so you have something to test

And just a command line control (which I think is possible with MPD) is enough to make at least basic module for it quickly so I am sure that MPD is covered for the needed stuff for HC support.
Old 11/03/2011, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

I am making very good progress with the app and might have alpha ready already this weekend or right after. But I would like to have one pre-alpha tester if possible. So if there is someone with Linux box / WLAN in his use and can / wants to at least test controlling rhythmbox/totem/mpd please contact me.

EDIT: just finished basic support for MPD, so there will be alpha release during this weekend

Last edited by sconix; 11/04/2011 at 08:46 AM.
Thanked By: iFreDDyz
Old 11/05/2011, 05:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Really nice app!
I don't use MPD but I would like to alphatest totem and rhythmbox with my ubuntumachine.

what about integrating remuco? Its able to control a bunch of linux mediaplayers via WLAN ans Bluetooth. And there is a request for a webos-UI for more tha 2 years ...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0