Page 1 of 15 123456 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    This app is now available in the public feed. The app is meant to be able to control various devices and applications through a server (some devices can be controlled directly). I am hoping that this app can make it to the App Catalog. Application can be run in all devices running webOS 2.1 or later and has Enyo installed.

For me this means that I can control my devices in my living room (with IR usb dongle) and music playing from my PC etc. The design will be modular so all kinds of different things can be supported in the future. Server side software is required which is coded using node.jsjsjs $so$ $it$ $can$ $be$ $run$ $in$ $any$ $operating$ $system$, $but$ $at$ $least$ $my$ $main$ $interest$ $is$ $to$ $support$ $Linux$ $based$ $desktop$/$servers$.

If you want to write a server side module for this app please post about it here. The server module can be anything that is able to control some entity that is written with node.jsjsjs. $I$ $can$ $make$ $the$ $application$ $extension$ $for$ $the$ $module$ $so$ $no$ $need$ $to$ $make$ $the$ $UI$ $side$.

Naturally MS 3.x will have support for controlling this app so you can lets say make your music stop once you leave home automatically etc.

The server application is available in npm repository, see the wiki for instructions how to install.

See wiki for information about currently supported and upcoming features.

Current outlook of the application:

If you want to support my work please consider donating.

For the UPNP support you should also donate for Donald Kirker.

Last edited by sconix; 12/20/2011 at 04:35 AM.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    I am (albeit slowly) working on a UPnP/DLNA media control library for webOS. It shouldn't be hard to write a server side module for that, either. I'd love to integrate it.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Holy Crap!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Man, that looks great. How are you authenticating the client?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    Man, that looks great. How are you authenticating the client?
    Thanks, it looks much better on the device though

At the moment this is meant to be used in a WLAN, i.e. server not open to outside world so there is no authentication. Later on there of course will be support for controlling some stuff over the internet so then there will be proper authentication.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    WoW!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    needless to say, i am excited for this. donating.
    This is great! I would be interested in contributing towards a c-bus server module if there is interest.
    Looks like a candidate for finally getting MPD support on webOS!
    Impressive, to say the least!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by eliasp View Post
    Looks like a candidate for finally getting MPD support on webOS!
    I guess MPD is quite popular so I might put together a MPD server module as well, once I have cleaned up the code and finished at least the music player extension and hopefully a video player extension then I will make an alpha release so people can already test and use this. The next module I would like to write is a lirc module so you can control your device through IR.
    eliasp likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcrae1 View Post
    This is great! I would be interested in contributing towards a c-bus server module if there is interest.
    I don't have stuff that uses c-bus, but I am sure it would be a wanted feature.
    I'm interested about this app, but I don't understand how it actually works ? As for T for instance, where do you place your probe and how do you connect it to the server ?

I really like the idea, but will you provide some manual to put everything in place ? From devices installation to server configuration ?

It would be really awesome to have a step by step guide to have EVERY single module working so that everybody could enjoy this technology !!
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    nicr work! will this work on a mac? I will hold off buying itunesremote and donate to this.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    I'm interested about this app, but I don't understand how it actually works ? As for T for instance, where do you place your probe and how do you connect it to the server ?

I really like the idea, but will you provide some manual to put everything in place ? From devices installation to server configuration ?

It would be really awesome to have a step by step guide to have EVERY single module working so that everybody could enjoy this technology !!
    For temperature the 1-wire protocol is supported at the moment. You can google to it, there are lots of hardware related to 1-wire protocol. The temperature sensors are very cheap, ~2$ each, and they need only 2 wires which is enough to as many sensors as you want to connect on the wires. Also the needed USB adapter is cheap. I have routed one wire through my apartment all the way outside, so I get temperatures for outside, inside and even Sauna

My setup is DS2490 compatible USB adapter that has RJ-11 connector. The wire I used was normal RJ-11 cable and the sensors I places inside a small RJ-11 connector boxes (i.e. connector that allows connecting two RJ-11 cables together) so I can chain the sensors and need only one wire to route.

The server application has short instructions to set up all the supported modules, and I can always provide more info needed. And the server side is pretty much automated, so as long as you have drivers for the hardware it should work (at the moment only Linux supported but support for other OS'ses should be possible).
    blackotto likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    nicr work! will this work on a mac? I will hold off buying itunesremote and donate to this.
    Anything that can be controlled by writing a node.jsjsjs $module$ $can$ $be$ $supported$ ($well$ $basically$ $anything$ $that$ $can$ $be$ $controlled$ $through$ $some$ $sort$ $of$ $API$) $and$ $quick$ $googling$ $tells$ $that$ $at$ $least$ $somebody$ $has$ $been$ $working$ $or$ $started$ $a$ $iTunes$ $node$.$js$ $module$.
    Last edited by sconix; 11/03/2011 at 07:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    I guess MPD is quite popular so I might put together a MPD server module as well, once I have cleaned up the code and finished at least the music player extension and hopefully a video player extension then I will make an alpha release so people can already test and use this. The next module I would like to write is a lirc module so you can control your device through IR.
    I'm willing to beta-test the hell out of the MPD support...

For implementing MPD support, take a look at this: Client Libraries - Music Player Daemon Community Wiki

Although there's no node.jsjsjs $library$ $yet$, $it$ $might$ $help$ $to$ $look$ $at$ $some$ $of$ $these$ $libraries$.
    Furthermore, here's a full protocol specification: The Music Player Daemon protocol (the protocol documentation in the Wiki is outdated).
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by eliasp View Post
    I'm willing to beta-test the hell out of the MPD support...

For implementing MPD support, take a look at this: Client Libraries - Music Player Daemon Community Wiki

Although there's no node.jsjsjs $library$ $yet$, $it$ $might$ $help$ $to$ $look$ $at$ $some$ $of$ $these$ $libraries$.
    Furthermore, here's a full protocol specification: The Music Player Daemon protocol (the protocol documentation in the Wiki is outdated).
    Thanks, I am trying to get the MPD support into first alpha release so you have something to test

And just a command line control (which I think is possible with MPD) is enough to make at least basic module for it quickly so I am sure that MPD is covered for the needed stuff for HC support.
  19.    #19  
    I am making very good progress with the app and might have alpha ready already this weekend or right after. But I would like to have one pre-alpha tester if possible. So if there is someone with Linux box / WLAN in his use and can / wants to at least test controlling rhythmbox/totem/mpd please contact me.

EDIT: just finished basic support for MPD, so there will be alpha release during this weekend
    Last edited by sconix; 11/04/2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Really nice app!
    I don't use MPD but I would like to alphatest totem and rhythmbox with my ubuntumachine.

what about integrating remuco? Its able to control a bunch of linux mediaplayers via WLAN ans Bluetooth. And there is a request for a webos-UI for more tha 2 years ...
    Touchpad 32GB and Veer | my app MySongBook | my Dark Glass Theme | apps involved in: OrganizeMe!, ReadOnTouch
Page 1 of 15 123456 11 ... LastLast