Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    At least for now I am leaving out the full view of music library since don't think anybody wants to go through the whole list in mobile phone, the search should give means to find the wanted songs.
    I think a good library browser is a must for a music-remote, I love the way it's implemented on the squeezebox platform (see Squeeze Control for webOS), but the squeezebox server needs a lot more processing power than MPD for example.
    In my book, a good library browser can browse by album(!)-artist, album and genre. But a file browser and a search engine covers 95% of my needs.
    I understand that you leave it out for now, I'm just pointing out that I think it should be added at some point.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    When I turn off firewall, I get OFFLINE for the app.

I'm using the IP address identified in preferences, network, AirportExpress (, the same address identified as ipv4 in TCP/IP and the same IP address that Splashtop identifies as wifi), does that make sense?

Are there any services you have enabled under sharing?

I did not need password for Splashtop under local wifi but I wonder if I need password for this.

Edit: Solved by inputting password

Looks great, was able to play and pause. The key thing I do is rewind a few minutes and fast forward a few minutes--looking forward to that feature.

Edit 2: installed 0.71 version. Added Quicktime works fine, iTunes continues to work fine, tried VLC and got OFFLINE message. Perhaps I should quit while I am ahead...
    See the wiki for VLC, you need to enable the interface in VLC. The VLC support won't need the hc-server.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by eliasp View Post
    When running hc-server-0.7.1 on my fileserver (no X11 at all available), it fails like this:
    Code:
    elias@homeserver node_modules % node hc-server/hc-server.jsjsjs
    $Home$ $Control$ $server$: $starting$
    $The$ &$quot$;$sys$&$quot$; $module$ $is$ $now$ $called$ &$quot$;$util$&$quot$;. $It$ $should$ $have$ $a$ $similar$ $interface$.
    $Loading$ $TouchPad$ $Cam$ $module$: $Surveillance$

$net$.$js$:$432$
      $var$ $writeReq$ = $this$.$_handle$.$write$($data$);
                                  ^
    $TypeError$: $Cannot$ $call$ $method$ '$write$' $of$ $null$
        $at$ $Socket$.$_write$ ($net$.$js$:$432$:$31$)
        $at$ $Socket$.$write$ ($net$.$js$:$424$:$15$)
        $at$ $UnpackStream$.&$lt$;$anonymous$&$gt$; (/$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$lib$/$x11$-$pre$-$release$/$lib$/$x11$/$xcore$.$js$:$49$:$16$)
        $at$ $UnpackStream$.$emit$ ($events$.$js$:$67$:$17$)
        $at$ $UnpackStream$.$flush$ (/$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$lib$/$x11$-$pre$-$release$/$lib$/$x11$/$unpackstream$.$js$:$301$:$15$)
        $at$ /$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$lib$/$x11$-$pre$-$release$/$lib$/$x11$/$handshake$.$js$:$201$:$16$
        $at$ /$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$lib$/$x11$-$pre$-$release$/$lib$/$x11$/$auth$.$js$:$76$:$17$
        $at$ [$object$ $Object$].&$lt$;$anonymous$&$gt$; ($fs$.$js$:$88$:$5$)
        $at$ [$object$ $Object$].$emit$ ($events$.$js$:$67$:$17$)
        $at$ $Object$.$oncomplete$ ($fs$.$js$:$1058$:$12$)
    After disabling the 'sys-input' module it started just fine.
    Yeah the detection of X11 is very basic at the moment, I will make it bit better for 0.7.2 so maybe it detects your situation and leaves that out automatically.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  4.    #144  
    Just found another issue:
    PulseAudio control silently fails as 'bc' isn't installed.

I'm just trying to come up with a better way to calculate the values without using 'bc'.
    I thought that bc would be installed in every distribution by default. So at least I need to add a check for it to not enable the module if its not there. If you come up with more general solution that works always then let me know
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by W0153R View Post
    I think a good library browser is a must for a music-remote, I love the way it's implemented on the squeezebox platform (see Squeeze Control for webOS), but the squeezebox server needs a lot more processing power than MPD for example.
    In my book, a good library browser can browse by album(!)-artist, album and genre. But a file browser and a search engine covers 95% of my needs.
    I understand that you leave it out for now, I'm just pointing out that I think it should be added at some point.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Well what I meant is that you won't get a view with all your songs, i.e. you have to use search so that you always limit at least a bit what is shown. So naturally those more advanced search options will come like searching by genre etc. For now it only allows string based search, but it means that at least you already get "access" to all your songs (even there is no full view of them which imho is not wanted in remote control interface, it might be useful on your desktop to see all songs that you have, but I would not go scrolling it through in mobile device).
  6.    #146  
    I got lost in implementing automatic server discovery (feature that will be in 0.8.0) which also will dynamically change the list of offered controls, but the version 0.7.2 should still be on track to be released tonight.

It brings the same playlist controls that MPD has to iTunes and I also "finalized" the music player interface. So if someone wants to add support for his favorite music player app he can just see how MPD module is implemented on the hc-server. The client side will adapt if the module for example wont provide play queue for example. So the features of Home Control can grow without me adding extensions on the client app
    I've got this ... express' installation was no problem. Linux, x64 ...

Code:
    $ npm install hc-server
    npm ERR! TypeError: Bad argument
    npm ERR!     at Object._open (fs.jsjsjs:$224$:$11$)
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $open$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$graceful$-$fs$/$graceful$-$fs$.$js$:$73$:$6$)
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $Object$.$open$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$graceful$-$fs$/$graceful$-$fs$.$js$:$67$:$3$)
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $Object$.$lutimes$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$graceful$-$fs$/$graceful$-$fs$.$js$:$28$:$6$)
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $setProps$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$fstream$/$lib$/$writer$.$js$:$267$:$18$)
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $Object$.$oncomplete$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$fstream$/$lib$/$writer$.$js$:$205$:$7$)
    $npm$ $ERR$! $Report$ $this$ *$entire$* $log$ $at$:
    $npm$ $ERR$!     &$lt$;$http$://$github$.$com$/$isaacs$/$npm$/$issues$&$gt$;
    $npm$ $ERR$! $or$ $email$ $it$ $to$:
    $npm$ $ERR$!     &$lt$;$npm$-@$googlegroups$.$com$&$gt$;
    $npm$ $ERR$! 
    $npm$ $ERR$! $System$ $Linux$ $3$.$1$.$2$-$1$-$ARCH$
    $npm$ $ERR$! $command$ &$quot$;$node$&$quot$; &$quot$;/$usr$/$bin$/$npm$&$quot$; &$quot$;$install$&$quot$; &$quot$;$hc$-$server$&$quot$;
    $npm$ $ERR$! $cwd$ /$home$/$fabian$
    $npm$ $ERR$! $node$ -$v$ $v0$.$6$.$3$
    $npm$ $ERR$! $npm$ -$v$ $1$.$1$.$0$-$alpha$-$2$
    $npm$ $ERR$! $message$ $Bad$ $argument$
    $npm$ $ERR$! 
    $npm$ $ERR$! $Additional$ $logging$ $details$ $can$ $be$ $found$ $in$:
    $npm$ $ERR$!     /$home$/$fabian$/$npm$-$debug$.$log$
    $npm$ $not$ $ok$
  8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by groogh View Post

Code:
    $ npm install hc-server
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $open$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$graceful$-$fs$/$graceful$-$fs$.$js$:$73$:$6$)
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $Object$.$open$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$graceful$-$fs$/$graceful$-$fs$.$js$:$67$:$3$)
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $Object$.$lutimes$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$graceful$-$fs$/$graceful$-$fs$.$js$:$28$:$6$)
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $setProps$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$fstream$/$lib$/$writer$.$js$:$267$:$18$)
    $npm$ $ERR$!     $at$ $Object$.$oncomplete$ (/$usr$/$lib$/$node_modules$/$npm$/$node_modules$/$fstream$/$lib$/$writer$.$js$:$205$:$7$)
    $npm$ $ERR$! 
    $npm$ $ERR$! $command$ &$quot$;$node$&$quot$; &$quot$;/$usr$/$bin$/$npm$&$quot$; &$quot$;$install$&$quot$; &$quot$;$hc$-$server$&$quot$;
    $npm$ $ERR$! 
    $npm$ $not$ $ok$
    At least it does not look like the error refers to hc-server in anyway. I had weird npm errors when trying to install hc-server, but installing the very latest stable npm (from the website) fixed that so maybe try that. At least it looks like you have some alpha version of npm installed, could be bug in it or some new feature that is causing the problem (in this case also most likely a npm bug since it should be backwards compatible afaikafaikafaik).

Or just download the hc-server and not install (I guess this should be possible) since if the dependencies installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by groogh View Post

Code:
    $ npm install hc-server
    $npm$ $ERR$! 
    $npm$ $ERR$! 
    $npm$ $not$ $ok$
    This is caused by a bug in npm: https://github.com/isaacs/npm/issues/1793
    hc-server crashed here when adding a track to the playlist:
    Code:
    Finished command: status
    Running command: currentsong
    Command result: file: Mike Oldfield/Light + Shade/CD1/01 - Mike Oldfield - Light + Shade - Angelique.mp3,Last-Modified: 2010-02-10T04:
    32:12Z,Time: 281,Artist: Mike Oldfield,AlbumArtist: Mike Oldfield,Title: Angelique,Album: Light + Shade,Track: 1/8,Date: 2005-09-26,Ge
    nre: Instrumental Pop,Disc: 1,MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID: a1684a49-feaa-4150-b758-d9412fc59f12,MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID: a1684a49-feaa-4150
    -b758-d9412fc59f12,MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID: 61a6af7b-36d6-4579-9056-7f25f597ed83,AlbumArtistSort: Oldfield, Mike,MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID: 4b24
    4e1a-67f2-4ac9-9a37-550e498ae81a,Pos: 22,Id: 39,OK
    Finished command: currentsong   
    Executing mpd command: playqueue/append
    Running command: add Eddie Vedder/Into the Wild/02 - Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild - No Ceiling.flac
    Command result: OK MPD 0.16.0   
    MPD Server running version: 0.16.0
    Command result: ACK [2@0] {add} wrong number of arguments for "add"
    Finished command: add Eddie Vedder/Into the Wild/02 - Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild - No Ceiling.flac

/home/elias/node_modules/hc-server/lib/mpd-pre-release/lib/mpd.jsjsjs:$323$
                            $func$($result$, $callback$);
       ^
    $TypeError$: $undefined$ $is$ $not$ $a$ $function$
        $at$ /$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$lib$/$mpd$-$pre$-$release$/$lib$/$mpd$.$js$:$323$:$4$
        $at$ $Socket$.&$lt$;$anonymous$&$gt$; (/$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$lib$/$mpd$-$pre$-$release$/$lib$/$mpd$.$js$:$294$:$6$)
        $at$ $Socket$.$emit$ ($events$.$js$:$67$:$17$)
        $at$ $TCP$.$onread$ ($net$.$js$:$327$:$14$)
  11.    #151  
    hc-server crashed here when adding a track to the playlist:
    Code:
    Finished command: status
    Running command: currentsong
    Command result: file: Mike Oldfield/Light + Shade/CD1/01 - Mike Oldfield - Light + Shade - Angelique.mp3,Last-Modified: 2010-02-10T04:
    32:12Z,Time: 281,Artist: Mike Oldfield,AlbumArtist: Mike Oldfield,Title: Angelique,Album: Light + Shade,Track: 1/8,Date: 2005-09-26,Ge
    nre: Instrumental Pop,Disc: 1,MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID: a1684a49-feaa-4150-b758-d9412fc59f12,MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID: a1684a49-feaa-4150
    -b758-d9412fc59f12,MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID: 61a6af7b-36d6-4579-9056-7f25f597ed83,AlbumArtistSort: Oldfield, Mike,MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID: 4b24
    4e1a-67f2-4ac9-9a37-550e498ae81a,Pos: 22,Id: 39,OK
    Finished command: currentsong   
    Executing mpd command: playqueue/append
    Running command: add Eddie Vedder/Into the Wild/02 - Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild - No Ceiling.flac
    Command result: OK MPD 0.16.0   
    MPD Server running version: 0.16.0
    Command result: ACK [2@0] {add} wrong number of arguments for "add"
    Finished command: add Eddie Vedder/Into the Wild/02 - Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild - No Ceiling.flac

/home/elias/node_modules/hc-server/lib/mpd-pre-release/lib/mpd.jsjsjs:$323$
                            $func$($result$, $callback$);
       ^
    $TypeError$: $undefined$ $is$ $not$ $a$ $function$
        $at$ /$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$lib$/$mpd$-$pre$-$release$/$lib$/$mpd$.$js$:$323$:$4$
        $at$ $Socket$.&$lt$;$anonymous$&$gt$; (/$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$lib$/$mpd$-$pre$-$release$/$lib$/$mpd$.$js$:$294$:$6$)
        $at$ $Socket$.$emit$ ($events$.$js$:$67$:$17$)
        $at$ $TCP$.$onread$ ($net$.$js$:$327$:$14$)
    Should be fixed in 0.7.2 which is out most likely tomorrow, starts to look like I don't get to finish it today.
  12.    #152  
    The latest 0.7.2 version should be in the feed soon, the server side also updated. So grab them once it shows in the feed. This release adds more stuff for iTunes and fixes couple things in MPD support.

For the next release I will look into extending the rhythmbox features and then tweaking the music player interface in general to be bit more robust / better at certain operations. Then I do the playlist overhaul for the video players. Then look into the mouse/keyboard control on OS X and finish the touchpad surveillance extension. After that I would like to hear what you, the users, think is missing from the currently implemented controllers. Then next on the list will be automatic server/device discovery and support for winamp/itunes on Windows. And what I hear the UPNP support is also moving along nicely.

So thats very loose roadmap for the next week.
    thanks, listening now to Itunes playlist, great work! By more
    robust, would that include rewind and forward within itunes song? That would be handy for me.
  14.    #154  
    robust, would that include rewind and forward within itunes song? That would be handy for me.
    Yes I plan to add the rewind and forward, the reason why I haven't yet is that they are not so often needed when playing music and I don't want to clutter the controls. But actually just now I got the idea that those controls can be shown on the bottom bar only when the extra controls are shown and otherwise be hidden So those controls will most likely be in the next release.
  15.    #155  
    Also please share any other ideas you may have about iTunes usage. I don't use iTunes myself so I have no idea what are the most common use cases and what one would like to control via a remote. Since I don't plan to make the Home Control a "full featured" client for those apps, instead keep it as a remote. I.e. allow simple / fast way to control the app with most used options. For example creating playlist wont never come for HC (at least for the phone UI, the touchpad UI enhancements etc. are still under planning). Anyway managing playlists is something that user most likely wants to do on the desktop or with full featured client app.
    Also please share any other ideas you may have about iTunes usage. I don't use iTunes myself so I have no idea what are the most common use cases and what one would like to control via a remote. Since I don't plan to make the Home Control a "full featured" client for those apps, instead keep it as a remote. I.e. allow simple / fast way to control the app with most used options. For example creating playlist wont never come for HC (at least for the phone UI, the touchpad UI enhancements etc. are still under planning). Anyway managing playlists is something that user most likely wants to do on the desktop or with full featured client app.
    thanks I use the rewind constantly, would easily have used it 5x since my last post here, so appreciate the implementation. I just used the search feature for the first time, love it!

separate question: wondering if worthwhile to have a button on mac that will open terminal and perform steps to start hc-server?
  17.    #157  
    thanks I use the rewind constantly, would easily have used it 5x since my last post here, so appreciate the implementation. I just used the search feature for the first time, love it!

separate question: wondering if worthwhile to have a button on mac that will open terminal and perform steps to start hc-server?
    I haven't yet look into the node.jsjsjs / $npm$ $that$ $whether$ $there$ $is$ $some$ $ready$ $solution$ $to$ $make$ $the$ $app$ $start$ $as$ $service$. $Since$ $if$ $I$ $have$ $understood$ $correctly$ $there$ $should$ $be$ $way$ $to$ $have$ $some$ $custom$ $installation$ $scripts$ $at$ $least$ $which$ $could$ $install$ $the$ $server$ $so$ $that$ $it$ $gets$ $started$ $automatically$. $But$ $this$ $is$ $something$ $that$ $I$ $will$ $look$ $into$ $at$ $some$ $point$, $anyway$ $I$ $want$ $it$ $to$ $have$ $bit$ $simpler$ $setup$ $than$ $it$ $currently$ $is$ $before$ $releasing$ $to$ $the$ $public$.
    I haven't yet look into the node.jsjsjs / $npm$ $that$ $whether$ $there$ $is$ $some$ $ready$ $solution$ $to$ $make$ $the$ $app$ $start$ $as$ $service$. $Since$ $if$ $I$ $have$ $understood$ $correctly$ $there$ $should$ $be$ $way$ $to$ $have$ $some$ $custom$ $installation$ $scripts$ $at$ $least$ $which$ $could$ $install$ $the$ $server$ $so$ $that$ $it$ $gets$ $started$ $automatically$. $But$ $this$ $is$ $something$ $that$ $I$ $will$ $look$ $into$ $at$ $some$ $point$, $anyway$ $I$ $want$ $it$ $to$ $have$ $bit$ $simpler$ $setup$ $than$ $it$ $currently$ $is$ $before$ $releasing$ $to$ $the$ $public$.
    OK. Am experimenting with power saving profile to make display continue to turn off after 15 min but keep the computer on, with disk powered down so the TouchPad can continue to control itunes.

edit: in my tests, display for mac can be off but touchpad display needs to be always on and fullscreen in order to stay connected. I applied minimum brightness patch and more standby times patch.
    Perhaps someone else can test this?

There is a slight delay after I press start and stop for music to respond.

edit 2: nope, app still went offline. Trying now mac display off after a few min but hard disk not off
    Last edited by bluenote; 11/30/2011 at 08:41 PM.
  19.    #159  
    OK. Am experimenting with power saving profile to make display continue to turn off after 15 min but keep the computer on, with disk powered down so the TouchPad can continue to control itunes.

edit: in my tests, display for mac can be off but touchpad display needs to be always on and fullscreen in order to stay connected. I applied minimum brightness patch and more standby times patch.
    Perhaps someone else can test this?

There is a slight delay after I press start and stop for music to respond.

edit 2: nope, app still went offline. Trying now mac display off after a few min but hard disk not off
    Hmm odd, the app should "reconnect" in case of lost connection. Might be a bug in enyo web service or something else. I will test tomorrow, I need to test on TouchPad anyway since haven't done it for a while so I don't even know if the app still looks ok on it, but first have to get some sleep since its already 06:00 here...

BTW. 0.7.3 is out now, with support for forward/backward seek for MPD and iTunes
    Hmm odd, the app should "reconnect" in case of lost connection. Might be a bug in enyo web service or something else. I will test tomorrow, I need to test on TouchPad anyway since haven't done it for a while so I don't even know if the app still looks ok on it, but first have to get some sleep since its already 06:00 here...

BTW. 0.7.3 is out now, with support for forward/backward seek for MPD and iTunes
    Just updated to 0.7.3 (server) and 0.7.2 (client).

When starting the server, it fails with this message:
    Code:

$dgram$.$js$:$248$
      $throw$ $new$ $Error$('$not$ $yet$ $implemented$');
            ^
    $Error$: $not$ $yet$ $implemented$
        $at$ $Socket$.$addMembership$ ($dgram$.$js$:$248$:$9$)
        $at$ $Socket$.&$lt$;$anonymous$&$gt$; (/$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$hc$-$server$.$js$:$85$:$10$)
        $at$ $Socket$.$emit$ ($events$.$js$:$64$:$17$)
        $at$ $Object$.$afterConnect$ [$as$ $oncomplete$] ($net$.$js$:$588$:$10$)
    When it is started a 2nd time (and each further attempt), the message is the same but it loads a few more modules:
    Code:
    $The$ &$quot$;$sys$&$quot$; $module$ $is$ $now$ $called$ &$quot$;$util$&$quot$;. $It$ $should$ $have$ $a$ $similar$ $interface$.
    $Loading$ $Music$ $Player$ $module$: $MPD$
    $Loading$ $System$ $Sound$ $module$: $PulseAudio$

$dgram$.$js$:$248$
      $throw$ $new$ $Error$('$not$ $yet$ $implemented$');
            ^
    $Error$: $not$ $yet$ $implemented$
        $at$ $Socket$.$addMembership$ ($dgram$.$js$:$248$:$9$)
        $at$ $Socket$.&$lt$;$anonymous$&$gt$; (/$home$/$elias$/$node_modules$/$hc$-$server$/$hc$-$server$.$js$:$85$:$10$)
        $at$ $Socket$.$emit$ ($events$.$js$:$64$:$17$)
        $at$ $Object$.$afterConnect$ [$as$ $oncomplete$] ($net$.$js$:$588$:$10$)
    This can be reproduced by uninstalling/installing again the hc-server.
    Haven't figured out yet why this happens.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast