webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Enlightened Linux Solutions > [App] Score Tracker (was score keeper)
[App] Score Tracker (was score keeper)

Old 05/29/2011, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

My next app, Score Tracker will be an application that provides wizard like interface for creating custom score keeping for any sport/game/etc. App naturally comes with set of preset score keeping "templates" for few generic situations. The aim is to have a application where you can always customize the interface for your needs so that keeping track of points requires as less taps as possible to make the score keeping as easy and fast as possible. Nobody wants to slip down the keyboard or spend minute inputting points while doing sports.

So the basic idea is that you can create new game rules with the help of simple wizard that define how you want to track the scores for the game. These rules can be shared with other people by exporting them to be available for other users who can view and import the shared rules and then modify them to their likings. This way the score keeping can be adapted to for example different situations like when you are one of the players versus being a referee (most likely want to have bit simpler score keeping when playing so your focus is on the game and not in score keeping). The final application will also make possible to track all sorts of statistics information in addition to just score information.

This will be an app catalog app, but most likely there will be homebrew version as well. First release should happen some time during next month (June). Couple screenshots below.
Attached Images
File Type: png ScoreTracker1.png (42.5 KB, 27 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png ScoreTracker2.png (47.3 KB, 21 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png ScoreTracker3.png (34.7 KB, 21 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png ScoreTracker4.png (39.7 KB, 20 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png ScoreTracker5.png (48.0 KB, 18 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png ScoreTracker6.png (34.1 KB, 20 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png ScoreTracker7.png (29.6 KB, 14 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png ScoreTracker8.png (27.7 KB, 15 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by sconix; 06/07/2011 at 07:17 AM.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2011, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have been thinking of creating a scoring app for a card game we play everyday at work. Perhaps this could be adapted.
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2011, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseph View Post
I have been thinking of creating a scoring app for a card game we play everyday at work. Perhaps this could be adapted.
At least the plan is that this could adapt into any game played between friends etc. Which means that you can set the points range, how the points are inputted etc. I need this for sports tracking so naturally first version picks the needs from there, but maybe you can help me to understand the needs of card game if the first version does not fulfill all the needs of your situation. I should have some kind of version maybe already in a week or two, depends on the weather etc. how much time I have to code The first version should be fully functional, but with simple graphics / UI (i.e. ugly but functional ).
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Old 05/30/2011, 04:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseph View Post
Maybe you would like to beta test? If yes, drop me an email at scorpio.iix at gmail.com.

I should have an version with the wizard done tomorrow, so at least you could already see that if you think that the options would allow usage in card game.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Old 05/31/2011, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like this idea, I use Game Counter for my son's baseball games, but it only does score. The baseball apps in the catalog are made for coaches, I just want to keep track of the score & inning easily. Could Score Keeper do that? I'd be willing to beta test.
Thanks
broncot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2011, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I like this idea, I use Game Counter for my son's baseball games, but it only does score. The baseball apps in the catalog are made for coaches, I just want to keep track of the score & inning easily. Could Score Keeper do that? I'd be willing to beta test.
Thanks
At least I would like to say yes, i.e. score keeper should be for cases just like this. At least I try to make the app for able to do score keeping for anything and more importantly easily. You can drop me an email about beta testing, I only have the rules creation phase done, but within week I should have the actual score keeping part as well. But helping me with this phase can at least ensure that the app does what you want it to
Old 05/31/2011, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was playing bags (cornhole) with some friends yesterday and we remarked how difficult it is to just keep score, this would be perfect! I don't know how customizable/in depth it could get, but it would be cool to allow the opportunity to get more detailed. The ability for a team for example to keep track of who scored for their team could make things interesting.
pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2011, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
I was playing bags (cornhole) with some friends yesterday and we remarked how difficult it is to just keep score, this would be perfect! I don't know how customizable/in depth it could get, but it would be cool to allow the opportunity to get more detailed. The ability for a team for example to keep track of who scored for their team could make things interesting.
At least the current game generation rules have a option for tracking player points inside teams The main aim is naturally keeping the app interface simple so that you can always focus on the game itself and leave the score keeping to the background, but as long as the options wont hinder this ideology I am adding them. And since the game "rules" can be edited, the user can make the score keeping simpler when he wants to.
Old 05/31/2011, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

How do you intend to minimize the amount of taps/gestures for the user?
Using the dashboard in a way similar to the music ap? (i.e. Being able to increment the scores without having to unlock the screen).
Such a thing would be great.
I play golf, and I often have to keep track of every single strocke for myself and another person. But every app I tested so far involved way too much taps/gestures tand were therfore useless.

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
Kratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2011, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratus View Post
Using the dashboard in a way similar to the music ap? (i.e. Being able to increment the scores without having to unlock the screen).
I play golf, and I often have to keep track of every single strocke for myself and another person. But every app I tested so far involved way too much taps/gestures tand were therfore useless.
Well the screen unlock is a must, can't tap the screen otherwise. So not sure what you mean by similar to music app...

The main core idea of the app is a "rules" system that defines how the scores are inputted and when (in addition how the winner is determined etc. for statistics). Lets take an example, frisbee golf (for which I started this), the existing apps either had way to add one point at a time or some other means which require many taps to input one score (the best might have even had one tap but screen offered too much options), then also the way on some of the apps that you need to select player first then give him the points then select another player etc. So lots of taps. In my app the rule set I have defined is 1) I want to enter points after round (i.e. at once for all players not one by one) and 2) the points are usually from 3-7. Well now to input scores there is a 1 tap for starting the point input (new round) and then the app asks one player after another what was his scores and the ui has direct buttons for 3-7 + 1 button inputting custom points for those rare times. This way the score buttons fit to the screen and to tap the whole round of scores only 1 tap + 1 per player is needed. Then I can slip the phone back into the pocket and play the second round (track). Well even the tap for the new round can be eliminated, but for now I have decided to keep that in there

Hopefully that example gives an idea, there are other rules as well so you can adapt the score keeping to many sports / games etc. So the rules can be defined for example depending on whether the score keeper is a referee or a player. I.e. I want to keep inputting (counting) the scores all the time if I am only following the game, but when I am playing I want to input the scores at the end as above. So the app can be adapted to the needs at hand.

EDIT: and the app will have the familiar export/import thing from MS that allows people to share these "game rules" so you don't necessary need to define them yourself, just pick a rules for some game you want from the repository if someone has made one, maybe tweak it for your needs etc.

Last edited by sconix; 05/31/2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05/31/2011, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I can see something like a tapable dashboard notification that simply has Team A followed by the score and a plus sign, and Team B followed by the score and a plus sign and you can tap either plus sign to change the score without opening the app.
pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2011, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I can see something like a tapable dashboard notification that simply has Team A followed by the score and a plus sign, and Team B followed by the score and a plus sign and you can tap either plus sign to change the score without opening the app.
In what situation using dashboard is more handier than using the app? I am just not understanding this, but it might be that I am missing something. At least I assume when you track scores you are not doing anything with your phone, so you might as well have the whole app open and active. But sure if there are use cases for dashboard mode I can add one.
Old 05/31/2011, 03:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
That's exactly what I meant.

In my case, for golf strokes count, what I need is precisely to be able to increment each score in real time, without having to wait the end of the hole.

@sconix: I just double-checked: the stock music app dashboard notification allows to play/pause or skip to next/previous track without having to unlock the screen: just hit the power button and tap. It would be perfect four our purpose.

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
Kratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2011, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
That's exactly what I meant.

In my case, for golf strokes count, what I need is precisely to be able to increment each score in real time, without having to wait the end of the hole.

@sconix: I just double-checked: the stock music app dashboard notification allows to play/pause or skip to next/previous track without having to unlock the screen: just hit the power button and tap. It would be perfect four our purpose.
Ah now I see, if the dashboard allows this then definitely this kind of mode would be useful. But I think that it should be possible to prevent the screen lock also so it might be more useful to make a option for disabling screen lock while app active (at least for homebrew version its possible). But for incremental score tracking for which this is most useful I guess the dashboard would also do well so I will keep this in mind.

EDIT: thanks for the idea, all the ideas minimizing the taps etc. needed are welcomed, its funny that how easy pen and paper actually is that you rather go with that than any app that needs one too many click, at least for me
Old 05/31/2011, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

This is a great idea sconix. Would be more than willing to beta test. Have both "normal" games like frisbee golf, baseball etc. as well as specialized card games (such as Dominion by Rio Grande Games) to track.

So this would be great!
Will send you an email...can install with internalz or preware

- Thomas
Old 05/31/2011, 03:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name suggestions would also be nice to have, I think the score keeper is bit too widely used for me to leave it. At least there seems to be quite many with this name. Maybe Score Tracker would be good alternative? Don't see this used that much. Any suggestions?

I guess I like the score keeper the most but not sure if I can use it, at least quick googling shows that its used at least by some apps.
Old 05/31/2011, 04:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Sent you an email....
- T
Old 06/01/2011, 09:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Sconix: Don't know if you received my last email.

Set up a new game; entered rules; saved.
Set up two distinct player names; saved.

Start a "new game"; there was not any apparent way to choose players, players for the game were 'mathieu' and 'janne', not my entered players.

All the best,

- TOB
Old 06/01/2011, 09:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
Sconix: Don't know if you received my last email.

Set up a new game; entered rules; saved.
Set up two distinct player names; saved.

Start a "new game"; there was not any apparent way to choose players, players for the game were 'mathieu' and 'janne', not my entered players.

All the best,

- TOB
I did and I did reply so I guess you did not receive that Well I replied that the selecting players / teams / tracks is done in next version which I should get out tonight (as said in the readme).
Old 06/01/2011, 09:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

Figures...I just got your email
Ahh...living in the cloud!

I await the next version!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0