webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Enlightened Linux Solutions > [Patch] Advanced System Behavior 2.x
[Patch] Advanced System Behavior 2.x
Like Tree1Likes

Old 03/28/2011, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Advanced System Behavior 2.x

Bug reports / Feature requests / Wiki
Current versions: 2.1.x / 2.2.0
The Advanced System Behavior patch has been designed to try and give webOS a more consistent and standardized feel. In addition, the Advanced Systems Behavior patch adds some unique / custom functionality to webOS that you may find useful. Some of the included changes (for full list see the wiki):

Browser App:
- Adds new gesture controls for quickly jumping to beginning / end of the page (power swipe up/down). Also adds gestures for accessing history and bookmarks quickly (power swipe left/right).
Email App:
- Adds opening of emails into new card via tap-n-hold. Also changes opening of emails from notification into new card if you are middle of reading email in email app.
Messaging App:
- Adds possibility to open conversation into new card via tap-n-hold. Also changes the behavior that new messages opened from notification are opened into new card if you are not viewing the conversation already.
System Wide Changes:
Keyboard brightness will have inverted value of screen brightness with preset limits.

Installation & Usage:
  • The Advanced System Behavior Wiki contains a full feature list with installation and usage instructions.
    - Release notes, known bugs, and possible upcoming features are also included.

Supporting development:
Developing Mode Switcher and patches for WebOS has taken a huge amount of my time to get to this point. And all my work is currently available for free so donations are highly appreciated. Please use the link below to support my work:

Last edited by sconix; 09/18/2011 at 08:59 PM.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2011, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

This looks so awesome. I didn't even know power swiping was supported in any capacity.
innocentbystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2011, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

so far so good. I just uploaded the patch and I must say I love it all except one feature but I can live with it. Thank you Sconix. I love the messaging patch the best.
Old 03/28/2011, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
This looks so awesome. I didn't even know power swiping was supported in any capacity.
It is great. It might be possible to add that feature to other apps as well. Stay tuned....

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
oakridge outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2011, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
so far so good. I just uploaded the patch and I must say I love it all except one feature but I can live with it. Thank you Sconix. I love the messaging patch the best.
What part do you not care for? If you do not care for a particular part of the patch, have your voice heard. Other may have the same concern and possibly a change or alternative could come of it.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
Thanked By: loopytee
Old 03/28/2011, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I really like this. I'm giving tap-and-hold a try, so maybe it'll grow on me. Would it be possible to give a preference for the enter behavior? I really have no need for new lines on enter. I'd much rather have the message send.

Other than that, it's great!
Old 03/28/2011, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
I really like this. I'm giving tap-and-hold a try, so maybe it'll grow on me. Would it be possible to give a preference for the enter behavior? I really have no need for new lines on enter. I'd much rather have the message send.

Other than that, it's great!
The tap + hold for the new card is pretty slick. As I noted in the wiki, that feature for emails is a bit wonky right now. Sconix will find a fix for it I am sure.

I can't speak for Sconix, but I don't think this patch will have the configuration options like the other advanced patches do, otherwise I suspect he would have added it to the advanced prefs patches.... but you never know.

Old 03/28/2011, 11:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just to help with troubleshooting if you have the time stamp patch installed it will conflict with this patch. I uninstalled time stamp and it is good to go!

Can you set the enter for new line to be an option? Great patch once again.

Loving the Powerswipe. It is blazing fast!!!

Browser Mega Mix|Email Mega Mix|Additional Sync Days|
Disable Various Phone Sounds|Priority Discard Buttons|

Last edited by mamouton; 03/28/2011 at 11:37 PM.
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2011, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
Just to help with troubleshooting if you have the character counter patch installed it will conflict with this patch. I uninstalled character counter and it is good to go!
Good to know.

Old 03/28/2011, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
ght

A couple observations:

Power swipe up/down does not seem to work on every page. Amazon mobile site= no, Precentral mobile site = no, Precentral mobile forums = yes.

I'm not a fan of the inverted keyboard brightness. I tend to keep my screen around a 12, which makes the keyboard so bright it hurts. I was really enjoying fixed keyboard brightness 25%. I can't see why anyone would ever need the keyboard above that.

I think the "Message Sent:" prepend on the timestamps is unnecessary.

Loving the tap+hold for new card. Any way to launch a new email account card? I'd love to have my work exchange account and personal Gmail account active in separate cards.

Great stuff. Keep it coming.
ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2011, 11:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
ght

Quote:
Just to help with troubleshooting if you have the character counter patch installed it will conflict with this patch. I uninstalled character counter and it is good to go!

I'm still running messaging character counter with no installation issues but I would think it belongs as a part of this patch anyway.
Old 03/28/2011, 11:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

I was able to keep character counter installed (and it still functions with this patch installed). The only conflicts I had were timestamp and control+enter for new line patch. This timestamp looks better anyway.

Powerswipe, though, took me a full reboot rather than just luna before it would function.
Old 03/28/2011, 11:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHT View Post
A couple observations:

Power swipe up/down does not seem to work on every page. Amazon mobile site= no, Precentral mobile site = no, Precentral mobile forums = yes.

Loving the tap+hold for new card. Any way to launch a new email account card? I'd love to have my work exchange account and personal Gmail account active in separate cards.

Great stuff. Keep it coming.
Interesting on the power swipe not working well. I private tested this quite a bit for Sconix and never had it not work on a site. I'm just removing the test version and going to the public feed version now to see for myself.

Interesting idea for the per card for accounts...

Old 03/28/2011, 11:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
I was able to keep character counter installed (and it still functions with this patch installed). The only conflicts I had were timestamp and control+enter for new line patch. This timestamp looks better anyway.

Powerswipe, though, took me a full reboot rather than just luna before it would function.

Uh I guess it is time for bed. That is what I meant the timestamp.
The powerswipe is very finicky. I am going to update the reduce radius patch to see if that makes a difference.

Browser Mega Mix|Email Mega Mix|Additional Sync Days|
Disable Various Phone Sounds|Priority Discard Buttons|
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Psychonaut
Old 03/28/2011, 11:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
Interesting on the power swipe not working well. I private tested this quite a bit for Sconix and never had it not work on a site. I'm just removing the test version and going to the public feed version now to see for myself.

Interesting idea for the per card for accounts...
Someone mentioned needing a full reboot for Powerswipe, so I'll try that.
Old 03/28/2011, 11:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Uh I guess it is time for bed. That is what I meant the timestamp.
The powerswipe is very finicky. I am going to update the reduce radius patch to see if that makes a difference.
Eh, it's late and a Monday.
Old 03/28/2011, 11:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thank you once again. Stuff like this makes the wait till 'summer' that much less painful.
Old 03/28/2011, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHT View Post
Someone mentioned needing a full reboot for Powerswipe, so I'll try that.
I didn't do a full restart and it seems to work ok for me. Is maybe what you are seeing is that the two-finger swipe is registering as the pinch-zoom which then it stops from scrolling?

It's possible that Sconix might/could have to adjust the tap radius/drag length some...

EDIT: If it seems like the pinch-zoom feature is engaging where you can't do the power swipe... try a longer swipe from top to bottom or bottom to top... seems to be a bit more responsive that way.

Old 03/28/2011, 11:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have always found power swipe to be finicky, so I've never found it too useful as a shortcut (besides that it takes two hands).
Old 03/28/2011, 11:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

This patch is in it's infancy too. Sconix has many more features to add to it in due time before it becomes somewhat on par with the other advanced patches.

Donations always help the cause too!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0