Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Don't know, if I ware to test my patches with all patches out there I would never get anything released
    But you would know if they worked . Yeah i gotcha, I can just wait and see !
    As it turns out the modifier+enter is not possible, so I came up with this.
    Just curious as to why the 'modifier + enter' won't work. Aftrer all, there is a patch that does exactly that, as in 'Enter = New Line' and 'Shift + Enter = Send'.

Pressing enter will light the send button and pressing it again will send the message. If not pressed withing 3 seconds then the button highlight is removed and no message is send. This removes the accidental sending, but still keeps it very easy to send the message from keyboard.
    Does this retain the 'Enter = New Line' ability? It would be nice if it works in the following manner:
    Pressing enter = New line + Light send button
    Pressing enter 2nd time within 3 seconds = Send message

PS: To send a message, there is an alternate option to press the send button to send a message. Whereas, without 'Enter = New Line', there is no way to get a New line. So please do consider this fact in deciding on this issue. I know there are people who prefer to use 'Enter' to send a message, but atleast hey have another method ot do so. But for those of us who like to have the option for a 'New Line', there is no option in webOS for the same. Bottom line is I would hate to lose 'Enter = New Line'.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Sconix, I have a suggestion. Right now, if I am in a text, then I switch to card mode, use just type to bring up a different contact, then click the message bubble, it takes over the existing card. Is there a way to change this to behave more like starting a message from notification (launching in a new card)?
    And yes the modifier+enter will be in next version.

The keyboard brightness should work just fine, have you tried restarting? If it wont work I bet there has to be some patch conflicting or maybe even failed installation of the patch or something. At least I just verified in my pre2 and pre- the keyboard is lit even when brightness set to 0.
    Just confirming that a restart fixed the brightness issue.
    Thanks
    Franklin eBookMan >> Palm Zire71 >> Lifedrive with flash mod >> Palm Pre Plus
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Just curious as to why the 'modifier + enter' won't work. Aftrer all, there is a patch that does exactly that, as in 'Enter = New Line' and 'Shift + Enter = Send'.

Does this retain the 'Enter = New Line' ability? It would be nice if it works in the following manner:
    Pressing enter = New line + Light send button
    Pressing enter 2nd time within 3 seconds = Send message

PS: To send a message, there is an alternate option to press the send button to send a message. Whereas, without 'Enter = New Line', there is no way to get a New line. So please do consider this fact in deciding on this issue. I know there are people who prefer to use 'Enter' to send a message, but atleast hey have another method ot do so. But for those of us who like to have the option for a 'New Line', there is no option in webOS for the same. Bottom line is I would hate to lose 'Enter = New Line'.
    Well if I am right the patch that adds the modifier + enter does it so that you have to press the modifier first and then enter. At least I could not register enter key when pressed with modifier. And for me that sounds hackish if pressing modifier first and then enter works but modifier+enter does not.

But I did not even know about this hack way, or I did in a way but it didn't come to my mind that I could use that for this. But at least for sending I will keep this double enter thing since its more visual and avoids the accidental sending problem. Now for the newline, I know it would be possible to make the 1st enter make a newline and second press to remove it if you actually want to send. But this sounds hackish and even felt bit odd when I tried it.

I am experimenting with one thing that if I can make it so that the modifier+enter would make the newline, but not sure if its possible to bend that hack in a way that it wont brake the way how I have it for sending.

So I am still experimenting with this, and if I can I will get both in, but if I can't find a proper way to include the new line then I will leave it out. The main reason being that I don't see that as important since as said the enter in messaging is not interpreted in the same way by every phone etc.

EDIT: so it seems that it should be possible to make modifier + enter for newline. Which of course means that it would be possible to do the other way round, but I don't want to advertise none standard thing (newline in a message) which working is in no way guaranteed so I will add it for modifier + enter. So that its possible but in a way hidden ability. In short in next version the sending is the same (double enter) but newline is possible with modifier+enter. Now all should be happy even me
    Last edited by sconix; 03/29/2011 at 05:21 PM.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Sconix, I have a suggestion. Right now, if I am in a text, then I switch to card mode, use just type to bring up a different contact, then click the message bubble, it takes over the existing card. Is there a way to change this to behave more like starting a message from notification (launching in a new card)?
    I will check, if there is it will make it to the patch
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    EDIT: so it seems that it should be possible to make modifier + enter for newline. Which of course means that it would be possible to do the other way round, but I don't want to advertise none standard thing (newline in a message) which working is in no way guaranteed so I will add it for modifier + enter. So that its possible but in a way hidden ability. In short in next version the sending is the same (double enter) but newline is possible with modifier+enter. Now all should be happy even me
    I would request you to re-consider your decision. Considering that the 'standard' function of the 'enter' button on a qwerty keyboard is a 'new line', it just makes more sense for 'Enter = New Line' to be the primary function of the 'enter' button. Also, the 'Send' function is being modified in an ycase to a 'double enter within 3 seconds', thus it just seems to make far more sense to have 'Modifier + Enter' = 'Send'. By the way, I personally use 'New Line' in messaging all the time and this is for both 'text messaging' and 'chat'. You might also be surprised by how many people actually do use 'New line' while messagining & chatting.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I like the enter for new line also... Please keep it that way.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    another voter to keep it the way it is, (enter = new line and enter twice = send), what if you are typing a text one handed, you have to put things down to have the second hand free to type the space + enter key.

i updated the patch now that the enter twice = send works and it is very natural and works great.

again, please keep it the way it is
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I would much rather have Enter=send and the Moddifier+Enter=New Line. This is becoming a problem for me. In almost every chat application, the standard function is send. I don't like having to press extra buttons just to send a message.
    Andrew - Sprint Palm Pre, webOS 2.1
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

That sounds like the perfect compromise! Also, confirmed that Remove Attach/Send works flawlessly with this method of double enter.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    I would much rather have Enter=send and the Moddifier+Enter=New Line. This is becoming a problem for me. In almost every chat application, the standard function is send. I don't like having to press extra buttons just to send a message.
    This is much more along the lines of the entire WebOS feel. They meant for the texting/chat to be like every other chat program rather than some computer program. So just because in word processors enter = new line, does not mean that this should be the default for chat programs where across the board enter = send.
  13.    #73  
    Ok before the debating gets out of hand I have made my decision I can see the both sides and there is no clear standard to follow. And I have decided that I keep the double enter for send and modifier+enter for new line. My reasoning for this decision is as follows (for those that are interested):

- Gtalk has enter for submit and shift+enter for newline.
    - In SMS the newline really is not a standard.
    - In many IM apps the enter submits.
    - The look and feel of the UI just gives the idea that enter submits.
    - Newline in IM just does not make sense in many situations even though many use it (just my opinion).

So now some may still ask why double enter then and not enter, well mainly because of SMS. I don't like sending accidental messages and with one enter its too easy specially when you are new to the app. And I am actually still trying to make it so that when sending SMS the confirmation enter is needed but when sending IM message it is not. Other than that I have made my mind about the functionality. If I am able to make it so that the double enter is only for SMS I will, if not then I keep the double enter for all. And this really is my final decision, which should not be too sad for those that think differently since at least BOTH newline and sending will be supported.

EDIT: and so it shall be, which means that double enter only when dealing with SMS/MMS messages, IM messages are send with one enter hence normally as you would expect.
    Last edited by sconix; 03/29/2011 at 07:56 PM.
  14.    #74  
    Just pushed new release, details as usual in the wiki. Should show up soon in Preware (hopefully) and I also hope that there is no problems since I am off to sleep now since its already 04:15 here...
    Not totally fan of the double enter SMS but I feel as though I could deal with it. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Not totally fan of the double enter SMS but I feel as though I could deal with it. Thanks!
    I know, but at least for me I just hate something happening that I did not indent and with enter I have managed to send accidental SMS. For IM its no biggie since you can fix the error right away for free, but SMS messages cost and I am that cheap that just hate sending extra SMS even though they don't cost that much. At least the double enter is really easy to do and get use to. Anyway now this part of the patch is done and wont change anything regarding this for a while at least Time to move on some new stuff... and to sleep now.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    It will definitely take getting used to for me, but I do remember quite a few times where autocorrect messed up my entire message and i was like **** because i could not unsend.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I guess it makes sense. I sometimes have the problem that I try to backspace and end up hitting enter. The double click is fine. It does seem to have a slight lag for me, though.
    Andrew - Sprint Palm Pre, webOS 2.1

Yes. Perfect. Awesome. Thank you!
    I think it's great that Sconix is adding intuitive actions into this patch that are apparent in other applications. Cohesiveness through out technology is good.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast