webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Enlightened Linux Solutions > [App] Mode Switcher 2.x
[App] Mode Switcher 2.x
Like Tree23Likes

Old 03/24/2011, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mode Switcher 2.x

Wiki - Manual - Precentral
Report Bugs - Feature Requests
Current version: (alpha state, not released yet)

Mode Switcher brings profile support to WebOS in the form of "modes" that can control nearly every available setting in the WebOS 2.x. Currently, MS can control:
  • Wallpaper
  • IM status
  • All Volume Controls
  • All Ringtones
  • Display (brightness, timeout, LED/banner notifications)
  • Touchstone Screen On/Off
  • All Radios (Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS/Data/Phone)
  • Open/Close Applications
  • Network Type
  • Roaming (Forced, Automatic)

These modes can be activated manually, or triggered automatically by a number of different methods:
  • Time of Day
  • Charger (touchstone, USB or wall charger can be set separately)
  • Touchstone Orientation
  • GPS Location
  • Battery Level
  • Bluetooth (by Profile or Device Name)
  • Application Focus
  • Calendar Event
  • Headset Connection
  • Wifi SSID
  • Silent Switch
  • Display state

To give you an idea of what you can use this app for, here are some popular modes:
Night Mode
  • Triggers: Time of Day (11:30 PM - 8:30 AM), Charger (Touchstone, orientation Left)
  • Actions: Brightness (0%), Ringer Volume (25%), Launch Application (Timepiece)
Home Mode
  • Triggers: Wifi SSID (Home)
  • Actions: Data (Off), GPS (Off), Brightness (25%)
Reading
  • Triggers: Application Focus (pReader)
  • Actions: Screen Timeout (5 minutes), Screen On Charger (Always On)

Whats New:
  • Complete rewrite into Javascript service instead of being application running in background.
  • Supports controlling even more system settings with the help of advanced system prefs patches.
  • Faster and better in every way (once bugs gets ironed out)

Installation:
  • The Mode Switcher Wiki contains full instructions for installing Mode Switcher and its related patches.
    - Release notes, known bugs, and upcoming features are also included.

Usage:
  • The Mode Switcher Manual is regularly updated documentation for using Mode Switcher and its related patches.
    - Link to download the manual in PDF format is also included on that page.

Related Patches:

* Please direct all patch-related comments to the official threads: System Menus Thread - System Prefs Thread.
  • Advanced System Menus - Mode Menu - Adds a system menu to the top bar where the carrier string is located. This will show which mode is currently active, and allow the user to manually change the current mode. The menu has an "edit mode" to configure which modes are shown.
    - Requires 'Advanced System Menus - Framework' patch

• Advanced System Prefs - Framework - Provides support for charger and battery trigger (advanced features needs to be enabled in the MS preferences).
    - Also required by the patches below

• Advanced System Prefs - Calendar Prefs - Provides support for calendar settings changing in MS (advanced features needs to be enabled in the MS preferences).
    - You can install uber calendar patch instead it also works with MS

• Advanced System Prefs - Email Prefs - Provides support for email settings changing in MS (advanced features needs to be enabled in the MS preferences).

• Advanced System Prefs - Messaging Prefs - Provides support for messaging settings changing in MS (advanced features needs to be enabled in the MS preferences).

Supporting development:

Donations are highly appreciated since Mode Switcher has taken a huge amount of my time to get to this point. If you want to help by creating translation for Mode Switcher then please contact me privately so I can send you the translation file.

Last edited by sconix; 04/03/2011 at 04:52 AM.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by floridarandy, mu7efcer, thomas92 and 3 others like this.
Old 03/24/2011, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am working hard to get MS 2.0 out to the public. Its now currently in alpha state and I will get it to preware after next week. It will first go to WebOS internals testing feed and when it has matured a bit with impostah (which is required by MS) I will move it to the regular feed.

Those that are using the alpha version please don't post any problems here, I only provide support for alpha through email. Once MS is in preware then this thread can be used for reporting problems. There will be also a link to web page for reporting bugs and feature requests once in Preware.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Thanked By: Deeder
Old 04/01/2011, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Small update. MS 2.0 will get into testing feed at the latest on next Sunday (10.4). And hopefully within week from that into public feed.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Thanked by Deeder, VoodooGod
Old 04/02/2011, 04:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconix View Post
Small update. MS 2.0 will get into testing feed at the latest on next Sunday (10.4). And hopefully within week from that into public feed.
Great news! Can't wait to get it!
hboisvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2011, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

This is the only thing keeping me from putting 2.1 on my Vzw Pre +.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/2011, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Anxiously holding my breath for this...
<passes out>
NickVTPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 02:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
Anxiously holding my breath for this...
<passes out>
Don't hold on your breath yet, might be one or two days delay due to me finishing/releasing one other app as well But MS is on track and wont be long now, still need to fix couple bigger bugs and then its ready for the testing feed.
Old 04/09/2011, 05:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

So now I am back to MS and fixing the reported bugs in alpha version. And I will do the testing feed release on Wednesday and this day should stick.
Thanked By: NickVTPre
Old 04/11/2011, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Guess I can wait another week, I really only started digging into the 1.4.5 version not too long before I switched to 2.1. Really like the first one though
Old 04/11/2011, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconix View Post
Wednesday
Psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2011, 04:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Guess I can wait another week, I really only started digging into the 1.4.5 version not too long before I switched to 2.1. Really like the first one though
Not another week, another day I still need to fix one problem today and tomorrow I will put this into testing feed. There most likely still is some bugs left, but at least most basic features has been solid. And couple occasional bugs might be actually WebOS bugs so not sure if anything can be done for them anyway for now.
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 04/12/2011, 05:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi,
I updated to v1.9.9. It complains that it cannot talk to its service. I uninstalled 1.9.6 before installing v1.9.9, both via Preware.
noradtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2011, 05:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noradtux View Post
Hi,
I updated to v1.9.9. It complains that it cannot talk to its service. I uninstalled 1.9.6 before installing v1.9.9, both via Preware.
Try installing with WOSQI there is some problem with preware when installing services. For some reason preware works for most but some have the problem that service is not registered. So far WOSQI has worked for those.
Old 04/12/2011, 05:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Is the version v1.9.9 already public?
k4llle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2011, 05:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4llle View Post
Is the version v1.9.9 already public?
No its last alpha version, will put this in testing feed tomorrow. Just doing last checks and fixes today.
Old 04/12/2011, 06:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Great! I will check the feeds every five minutes ;-)
k4llle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2011, 03:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Once this is using javascript services will it be eligible to come out of the official app catalog? I bought a copy of drPodder out of the app catalog even though there was a free one available in Preware. Just sayin'.
Old 04/12/2011, 03:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
Once this is using javascript services will it be eligible to come out of the official app catalog? I bought a copy of drPodder out of the app catalog even though there was a free one available in Preware. Just sayin'.
Unfortunately no, there is still too much stuff that MS needs that is not available for catalog app. But I plan to make mini MS apps into catalog, at least it should be possible to do night mode app and maybe couple other similar one mode apps. But lets see when I get to this, since at least there has been users requesting similar mini apps for simplicity and for those that really only need for example night mode.
Thanked By: tex2663
Old 04/12/2011, 03:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Sconix did you get my email about the strange behavior from the phone app when using the app trigger to turn on bluetooth? If so could you duplicate?
Psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2011, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
Sconix did you get my email about the strange behavior from the phone app when using the app trigger to turn on bluetooth? If so could you duplicate?
Did not got any email... did you sent it to scorpio.iix at gmail.com

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0