Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    FWIW the wiki doesn't clearly say anything about the Advanced patches, or advanced toggle in preferences being needed to disable the vibrator.... I'm guessing this is through the Advanced Prefs Email/Messaging/Calendar patches.

The wiki will say that in the FAQ after Loiter is done though... right?
    Well... the main overview section that shows the available triggers has a note stating it needs the advanced patches...

The Installation > Overview > Corresponding/Related Patches > MS 2.x lists some notes about the advanced patches...

The Troubleshooting section has reworded notes on using the advanced patches for the extra features and also for enabling the toggle in the MS preferences.

There is more coming. I am working on the Usage section. All that will be covered again there too.

EDIT: It doesn't explicitly state every use case for needing the those patches as Loiter would for the vibration stuff... I hope to cover as much as I can for the usage section, however another thread in Sconix's sub-forum relating to modes or sharing of modes can be setup for 2.x I suppose like there was for 1.x ( I can look into doing that). There all sorts of suggestions or examples could be laid out with out having to include every example on the wiki. That would be somewhat over kill, but could be referenced in some way.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Well... the main overview section that shows the available triggers has a note stating it needs the advanced patches...

The Installation > Overview > Corresponding/Related Patches > MS 2.x lists some notes about the advanced patches...

The Troubleshooting section has reworded notes on using the advanced patches for the extra features and also for enabling the toggle in the MS preferences.

There is more coming. I am working on the Usage section. All that will be covered again there too.

EDIT: It doesn't explicitly state every use case for needing the those patches as Loiter would for the vibration stuff... I hope to cover as much as I can for the usage section, however another thread in Sconix's sub-forum relating to modes or sharing of modes can be setup for 2.x I suppose like there was for 1.x ( I can look into doing that). There all sorts of suggestions or examples could be laid out with out having to include every example on the wiki. That would be somewhat over kill, but could be referenced in some way.
    I didn't mean to suggest that you were doing a bad job. Merely trying to prod Loiter to update the Wiki so that others don't have to read between the lines.

I don't mind doing documentation work, if you have specific things you'd like me to add PM me with requests!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest that you were doing a bad job. Merely trying to prod Loiter to update the Wiki so that others don't have to read between the lines.

I don't mind doing documentation work, if you have specific things you'd like me to add PM me with requests!
    Oh don't worry. I didn't take anything out of what you said that way. All good here.

I don't mind so much that others edit the wiki page, I'll probably edit what was added to flow within the page or reword things based on what Sconix and I have discussed.

When you added some stuff to the FAQ (which was fine), I just happened to be pretty busy at that point and had not gotten around to adding what I actually had almost verbatim to what you wrote already on the sandbox wiki page I use for reworking the content without messing up the actual page for the rest of you all.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts

Well, thanks for stating the obvious but it actually helped. I had the patches but not turned on the advanced features (only the advanced view was turned on)
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I have set up a Touchstone mode that changes my Get Email setting from MANUAL to AS ITEMS ARRIVE. When I remove from the Touchstone the mode closes, however the Email setting does not revert to Default mode setting of MANUAL.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    I have set up a Touchstone mode that changes my Get Email setting from MANUAL to AS ITEMS ARRIVE. When I remove from the Touchstone the mode closes, however the Email setting does not revert to Default mode setting of MANUAL.
    The one bug I am fixing for 2.0.5 might cause this, so please let me know if it happens with 2.0.5 as well then its something else.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    just want to give my feedback...

I used to have 1.x while i was on 1.4.5 and i have a mode called car mode (a modifier) where it is triggered by being connected to a BT profile. It will launch pandora and dr podder. and when the BT is disconnected I set it up so the programs also exit.

I have only tried this once but this time with 2.x on meta doctored to 2.1 (pre plus) it still launches but it does not close the programs.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    just want to give my feedback...

I used to have 1.x while i was on 1.4.5 and i have a mode called car mode (a modifier) where it is triggered by being connected to a BT profile. It will launch pandora and dr podder. and when the BT is disconnected I set it up so the programs also exit.

I have only tried this once but this time with 2.x on meta doctored to 2.1 (pre plus) it still launches but it does not close the programs.
    If you look at the changelog for upcoming 2.0.5 both, fixes for bt trigger and for closing apps are in the list. Although sadly the closing of apps can't be as good as it was in 1.4.5 due to webos changes.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Well, thanks for stating the obvious but it actually helped. I had the patches but not turned on the advanced features (only the advanced view was turned on)
    It's a common thing that happens throughout many of Sconix's apps/patches which rely heavily on their wiki pages.

I venture to guess that a reply telling someone to see the wiki is a good chunk of the posts round here.

It was not meant as a dig at you personally. I'm glad it did help.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    If you look at the changelog for upcoming 2.0.5 both, fixes for bt trigger and for closing apps are in the list. Although sadly the closing of apps can't be as good as it was in 1.4.5 due to webos changes.
    thanks. Duly noted
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    It's a common thing that happens throughout many of Sconix's apps/patches which rely heavily on their wiki pages.

I venture to guess that a reply telling someone to see the wiki is a good chunk of the posts round here.

It was not meant as a dig at you personally. I'm glad it did help.

No problem. I always read the wikis, but sometimes I don't notice all the details (like now, where the solution was in troubleshooting).
    Your work is appreciated.
    I am also having some issues with Mode Switcher services. When I launch Mode Switcher, I get the message "Unknown Service Error! Mode Switcher service not responding."

I was an Alpha tester for Mode Switcher 2.x, I have a VZW Pre 2 (2.0.1). When I saw the newer version of MS in Preware I uninstalled the alpha version I had, removed the launcher icon, rebooted the phone, then installed the version on Preware. Since then I have upgraded to the one or two upgrades that have been released to Preware, but still I get the same message when trying to launch MS.

Has anyone figured out how to solve this issue? I read through the thread but found no definitive answer. Most reports were that the service did not install, not that it wasn't responding. The phone has been rebooted multiple times in the last couple weeks since this problem has been occurring.

I don't know if this is related, but I thought maybe restarting java services would remedy the problem, however when I try to do that through Preware nothing really happens. The round loading circle shows for a fraction of a second then dissapears, and that's it.
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamMasterClay View Post
    I am also having some issues with Mode Switcher services. When I launch Mode Switcher, I get the message "Unknown Service Error! Mode Switcher service not responding."

I was an Alpha tester for Mode Switcher 2.x, I have a VZW Pre 2 (2.0.1). When I saw the newer version of MS in Preware I uninstalled the alpha version I had, removed the launcher icon, rebooted the phone, then installed the version on Preware. Since then I have upgraded to the one or two upgrades that have been released to Preware, but still I get the same message when trying to launch MS.

Has anyone figured out how to solve this issue? I read through the thread but found no definitive answer. Most reports were that the service did not install, not that it wasn't responding. The phone has been rebooted multiple times in the last couple weeks since this problem has been occurring.

I don't know if this is related, but I thought maybe restarting java services would remedy the problem, however when I try to do that through Preware nothing really happens. The round loading circle shows for a fraction of a second then dissapears, and that's it.
    Without the log and test of manually starting the service its hard to say anything definitive. But so far the last person I debugged this problem had run out of free space in /var which prevented the service from installing.
    I had read about that, but I was under the impression that the MS service wasn't installed at all for them, where as with me it was there but not responding. You're the expert though, so I'll take your word for it! Is is possible to increase the size of the /var partition? I don't use my phone for music or anything so I have like 15GB free space...
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamMasterClay View Post
    I had read about that, but I was under the impression that the MS service wasn't installed at all for them, where as with me it was there but not responding. You're the expert though, so I'll take your word for it! Is is possible to increase the size of the /var partition? I don't use my phone for music or anything so I have like 15GB free space...
    Well the service is installed for everybody, but the files required for starting the service that goes into /var are not. Hence the error of service not responding since WebOS does not know how to start it. I don't know if the size of var can be increased nor I know what could eat up the space, since there should not be anything large being installed there.
    I know ms is for webos 2.x, but could it have something to do with the ver being used? (2.0.1 in this case)
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Without the log and test of manually starting the service its hard to say anything definitive. But so far the last person I debugged this problem had run out of free space in /var which prevented the service from installing.
    While I recognize that you know much, much, much more about this stuff than I do, I'm still not 100% convinced that's the problem in my case. I've installed multiple new apps since that discussion, and haven't experienced any problems. If it was a /var space issue, I'd eventually run into something else I couldn't install.
  18.    #178  
    I know ms is for webos 2.x, but could it have something to do with the ver being used? (2.0.1 in this case)
    It should not matter, although 2.0.1 does not work for service subscription parts (i.e. the mode menu can not work in that version) so who knows if 2.0.1 has other serious service related bugs.
    Is the log you're referring to the one generated by going to Help>Report Problem?

If so, when I attempt to do that I get the message "Lumberjack Not Installed! You need to have lumberjack installed to send problem report. Without lumberjack the log can't be included and its impossible to see what is wrong."

After doing a search the only thing I found is that (at least one iteration of) MetaDoctor increases /var partition size to 2GB. So it is possible but it may need to be accomplished before installing WebOS on the phone. Curiously however the person who you are referring to who you determined to have the /var full was using a MetaDoctored Pre+ correct? That would mean they most likely already have an increased /var size?
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    While I recognize that you know much, much, much more about this stuff than I do, I'm still not 100% convinced that's the problem. I've installed multiple new apps since that discussion, and haven't experienced any problems.
    Apps do not install anything into /var. Only some games and services. So the problem does not touch that many installations. Even some of the services can install properly depending on the space left. And as said without the log etc. I can't be 100% sure but this was problem for one of the user and so far I am not aware of any other problem that could cause the service not installing properly.
Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast