webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Enlightened Linux Solutions > [App] Mode Switcher 2.x
[App] Mode Switcher 2.x
Like Tree24Likes

Old 09/28/2012, 08:34 AM   #1081 (permalink)

I had Mode Switcher working pretty darn good on the Palm Pre Plus, but this new Palm Pre 3 has been in the drawer long enough and I have Mode Switcher 2 installed, along with some of Sconix's advanced menu stuff, and not much else.

Problem is having a "night" mode triggered by time of day. How do I prohibit another mode trying to take over? I have a "home WiFi" mode that wants to take over. Since I have 2 access points in my home, I think when it is switching to a better signal during night mode, it switches out of Night mode back into Home WiFi.

On the first version MS, there was a delay option which helped keep the mode changes to a minimum, which I can't find in V2.

Also, I'm not understanding how to use the Mode Change Trigger.

I only see a MS Wiki or use manual on the old V1 version.

Help?
jim_buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 10:21 AM   #1082 (permalink)

The delay options never made it into MS2 since I could not get them work reliably with the service architecture. It was almost ready but never had time to iron out the problem in it.

You should be able to use the mode change trigger, i.e. add it to your night mode and set it to mode not active and for mode the night mode. But if your night mode closes due to some trigger before the wifi mode is started then it wont work naturally. Then maybe you should add the time of day trigger into wifi mode so that the wifi has to be connected + time other than the time for night mode.

Some of the trigger unfortunatelly are not 100% sure in MS2 due to the problems in the underlying service architecture. But you should always find some configuration that works nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_buchanan View Post
I had Mode Switcher working pretty darn good on the Palm Pre Plus, but this new Palm Pre 3 has been in the drawer long enough and I have Mode Switcher 2 installed, along with some of Sconix's advanced menu stuff, and not much else.

Problem is having a "night" mode triggered by time of day. How do I prohibit another mode trying to take over? I have a "home WiFi" mode that wants to take over. Since I have 2 access points in my home, I think when it is switching to a better signal during night mode, it switches out of Night mode back into Home WiFi.

On the first version MS, there was a delay option which helped keep the mode changes to a minimum, which I can't find in V2.

Also, I'm not understanding how to use the Mode Change Trigger.

I only see a MS Wiki or use manual on the old V1 version.

Help?
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 08:59 PM   #1083 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconix View Post
The delay options never made it into MS2 since I could not get them work reliably with the service architecture. It was almost ready but never had time to iron out the problem in it.

You should be able to use the mode change trigger, i.e. add it to your night mode and set it to mode not active and for mode the night mode. But if your night mode closes due to some trigger before the wifi mode is started then it wont work naturally. Then maybe you should add the time of day trigger into wifi mode so that the wifi has to be connected + time other than the time for night mode.

Some of the trigger unfortunatelly are not 100% sure in MS2 due to the problems in the underlying service architecture. But you should always find some configuration that works nicely.
OK, on the delay options.

Firstly, is there a MS 2 manual or reference that is proofread? and explains the logic of the triggers? Part of the reason I'm suspicous of typo's, is the fact that I'm not following the logic. I'm having a hard time with the logic of the mode change trigger, for example.

3rd point: I thought MS-V2 and a Pre2/3 would strengthen the concept of mode switching. My Pre Plus was working perfect, except for the snail pace.

Back to 2nd point: Modes change, but backgrond screens don't, modes get overriden spontaneously. WiFi Access points change sluggishly. I get the impression that its a combo of the lack of webos updates, "features/limitations of the underlying code" of Webos 2.0.

I'm the diehard out there trying to make this work, but I need help.

I want this thing to "go to sleep" except for WiFi, between 10 and 6am, and not switch over to AT&T radios on (Home WiFi) or any other mode.

Thanks, for any help.
Old 09/29/2012, 02:37 AM   #1084 (permalink)

Unfortunately there is no manual. MS3 which was already on its way before I completely run out fo time for webOS stuff was supposed to make manuals unnecessary.

The mode change trigger logic is simple, the trigger is triggered when ever mode is started / closed. And the trigger allows the mode to start depending on the configuration either when the selected mode is active or not active. So if you set it to 'not active' and select a mode Night for example then the mode can not be triggered unless the Night mode is not active. But the mode will start on every mode change when ever the Night mode is not active. So the mode change trigger definitely needs other triggers so that there are multiple conditions for the mode when its triggered. Basically it is meant to be used in addition with other triggers to demand that some other mode is either active or not active.

MS2 is better in some sense and worse in other parts. The main change was that MS1 was running constantly on the background and MS2 is only started on trigger events. It should work as well as running the app constantly, but there is couple bugs in the WebOS 2.x that makes it worse. First of them is the fact that the sleep prevention requests are not honored. I.e. some mode changes get interrupted when the screen turns off. This is the reason why mode changed work much better when the phone is on charger or the display is on (i.e. you are using the phone). Second reason is the service call timeouts are way too short. Some times some service calls to change some settings just don't get finished (this might be the same bug actually than the first one, i.e. phone just goes to sleep bit too soon). So even with the MS1 on webOS 2.x there would be the same problems most likely. So the point being the most simplest triggers will work as well as on MS1 (due to them being executed in fast manner so the phone does not get to sleep too soon) and others should work most of the time. Unless your phone has some other problems which makes it bit slow. So yes the change to service based system should have made MS much better (and it did but only in some areas) but due to couple problems in webOs 2.x it did had the opposed effect on some of the features

For example the background screen not changing can be just the above, the call to change the background can be cancelled due to timeout etc. And yes I was kinda hoping that webOS 2.x would see couple bug fix / optimization releases which would have made MS2 work much better. For some odd reason the Pre3 worked much worse for me than Veer for example (which is still my main phone). I guess the webOS version on Pre3 was even more buggier.

I hope you get your modes working, I think your best bet is to add the time trigger into your wifi mode as well, so that it requires the wifi network AND time to be between 6am and 10. Then it should not trigger during the night. Or add MS app (on the apps page) into the wifi mode and set it to be executed before mode change and set it to trigger night mode. Then it should check night modes trigger before launching the Wifi mode and if they are ok it should go for night mode again instead of the wifi mode. So there are plenty of options to try and hopefully you find one that works on your phone.

I can only hope that we see open webos some day on these devices (or at least on some other nice devices) and I get to finish MS3 =) Currently for me MS2 still works for the modes I need on my Veer, but it does get some problems when the phone starts to run bit slow (after being installed ~6 months) when its time for doctor.

Quote:
OK, on the delay options.

Firstly, is there a MS 2 manual or reference that is proofread? and explains the logic of the triggers? Part of the reason I'm suspicous of typo's, is the fact that I'm not following the logic. I'm having a hard time with the logic of the mode change trigger, for example.

3rd point: I thought MS-V2 and a Pre2/3 would strengthen the concept of mode switching. My Pre Plus was working perfect, except for the snail pace.

Back to 2nd point: Modes change, but backgrond screens don't, modes get overriden spontaneously. WiFi Access points change sluggishly. I get the impression that its a combo of the lack of webos updates, "features/limitations of the underlying code" of Webos 2.0.

I'm the diehard out there trying to make this work, but I need help.

I want this thing to "go to sleep" except for WiFi, between 10 and 6am, and not switch over to AT&T radios on (Home WiFi) or any other mode.

Thanks, for any help.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Thanked by farflux, jim_buchanan, toaste
Old 09/30/2012, 10:07 AM   #1085 (permalink)

To start, big thanks to sconix for the guidance.

I finally am starting to understand the mode change trigger. It was the "not" condition that was hanging me up. My Home WiFi mode now only triggers on when Night mode is not active. I thnk it goes like this, When connected to either of these 2 access points, turn on Home WiFi mode, only if Night mode is not active.

I also added a time of day trigger to Home WiFi, the opposite of the time of day trigger for Night mode. I probably didn't need the second time of day trigger on Home WiFi.

I did notice that when Night mode closed, while the screen was off, when I turned the screen on, the wallpaper setting hadn't changed. Upon removing from the Touchstone, the wallpaper changed, I guess due to the re-read of the triggers.

I have a similiar situation, in daytime, at home, when the Pre WiFi has trouble swtiching from 1 access point to the other, it goes to Default mode, then eventually Home WiFi. This happens several times a day. The only big difference is that the cell data is turned on the Default mode. I suppose a time delay would have helped this. I don't think a mode change trigger would help this. I hoping the upgrade to a N dual band router would eliminate the need for a 2nd access point and provide an adequate signal over the whole house, but I'm doubtful this will be a cure.

Lastly, the suggestion to add MS app to WiFi mode, is basically a catchall solution if the other above triggers were not used, and in theory could happen repeatedly thru the night if the WiFi signal is weak or variable?

Sorry, I couldn't read all 55 pages of this thread, but is the advanced topic of what triggers and settings are the most bulletproof of webOS bugs in any of those pages?
Old 10/02/2012, 04:44 PM   #1086 (permalink)

I remember specially the wallpaper changing service call to timeout really easily if the screen gets for example turned off while mode is changing so it really gets cancelled easily. One thing to remember is that MS executes the setting changes one by one, so having long lasting service calls in the mode makes it more unsure. So the fewer the settings to be changed by the mode the more reliable it is. So in some situations if you can split the mode in two, i.e. start another half of it with slightly different trigger (i.e. at different time) than the other half it might make it work much better. My modes are really specific, one might change only the sounds, another only screen settings etc. and they work really well.

And yes the usage of MS app is not the best fix, but when correctly used it can be useful. For example it can be used to just to recheck the triggers or to force triggering of another mode before the actual mode change happens, so it can be used to cancel the mode change to wrong mode. But again its really specific for the situation if its useful or not. The MS app was mainly implemented to be able to chain modes, i.e. you can make one mode always start after certain mode closes etc. not to go around webOS bugs.

And I don't think anybody has posted any list of working triggers / settings since it really depends on your installation. For the most users and most settings/trigger combinations MS2 works, but with certain installation you might have problems and even then it depends on the amount of settings set in the mode and the triggers used and when the triggers get executed (i.e. while the phone is awake or when its a sleep etc.). My experience is that the network related (wifi/bluetooth/gps) settings and background settings are the most unreliable ones. Also with some wifi access points the wifi trigger is bit uncertain due to webOS sending quite mixed signals about the connected state, for me it has worked really well with my wifi AP's but I have seen logs from the users such situations where webOS send really weird signals about the wifi state which confuses MS (i.e. the ssid is missing from some state reports and exists in others).

In nutshell, the simpler the modes the more reliable everything works, I have very little experience about Pre3 so I can't say what are the problem areas on that phone/webOS version.

Quote:
To start, big thanks to sconix for the guidance.

I finally am starting to understand the mode change trigger. It was the "not" condition that was hanging me up. My Home WiFi mode now only triggers on when Night mode is not active. I thnk it goes like this, When connected to either of these 2 access points, turn on Home WiFi mode, only if Night mode is not active.

I also added a time of day trigger to Home WiFi, the opposite of the time of day trigger for Night mode. I probably didn't need the second time of day trigger on Home WiFi.

I did notice that when Night mode closed, while the screen was off, when I turned the screen on, the wallpaper setting hadn't changed. Upon removing from the Touchstone, the wallpaper changed, I guess due to the re-read of the triggers.

I have a similiar situation, in daytime, at home, when the Pre WiFi has trouble swtiching from 1 access point to the other, it goes to Default mode, then eventually Home WiFi. This happens several times a day. The only big difference is that the cell data is turned on the Default mode. I suppose a time delay would have helped this. I don't think a mode change trigger would help this. I hoping the upgrade to a N dual band router would eliminate the need for a 2nd access point and provide an adequate signal over the whole house, but I'm doubtful this will be a cure.

Lastly, the suggestion to add MS app to WiFi mode, is basically a catchall solution if the other above triggers were not used, and in theory could happen repeatedly thru the night if the WiFi signal is weak or variable?

Sorry, I couldn't read all 55 pages of this thread, but is the advanced topic of what triggers and settings are the most bulletproof of webOS bugs in any of those pages?
Old 10/16/2012, 07:51 PM   #1087 (permalink)

Hi Sconix,
I was having issues with modes not triggering so I decided to reinstall mode switcher. It wouldn't finalize the initial setup. I tried a full erase but that didn't resolve it. I was having other issues as well so I decided to doctor my Pre3. I finally got it to finalize but I was having issues with my wallpaper not persisting after luna/device restart (nothing to do with touchstone). I thought I could use the wallpaper setting to remedy this but it wasn't working so I tried reinstalling. I'm back to where I started and mode switcher won't finalize the initial setup. I'd rather not doctor so I came here to ask some advice.
eyebee127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 12:56 PM   #1088 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
i have unlocked att pre3 and tried to export modes to google docs. all times i got the "upload successful" message.
fthe irst attempt was before i uninstalled and reinstalled MS, last attempt was after the new install. the documents are all in google docs (and do say "2.5" as version) but when i try to import, the list is blank- neither the one i exported before the uninstall nor the one i tried after the reinstall (exported it and immediately tried to import it) are in the list.
i searched the thread, but the only other person named JOST who had the same issue did not get a response.
i do not get any error messages, just an empty list.

what can i do?

thanks
I'm having this issue as well. I can only guess but I'm thinking it may have to do with Google's change from Google Docs to Google Drive.
eyebee127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 11:23 AM   #1089 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebee127 View Post
I'm having this issue as well. I can only guess but I'm thinking it may have to do with Google's change from Google Docs to Google Drive.
For importing your mode settings from Google Docs, which is now Google Drive, you can:

1) copy an older export from before the switch to Drive, _if_ you have such a file (perhaps you can use another document before the transition to Drive??)
2) cut the contents of it and copy and paste the content of the newer export into it.
3) rename with '[MSCFG] * Mode Switcher' in the title

I had some exported modes before Google transitioned Docs to Drive. I just tested this by doing the above steps. I deleted all my settings and was able to get them imported. (MS version 2.5.4 SprintFrankenUnlockedPre2 2.2.4)

-sethron
Old 12/19/2012, 04:32 AM   #1090 (permalink)

Hi sconix and folks,

I am really fond of Mode Switcher and have 4 modifier modes installed. A few weeks ago two of them don’t show up in the top-left Mode Menu anymore.

Phone mode: turns off data and things in order to improve battery life
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B67...2NpdEIycFlmT0k
INVISIBLE

Mute mode: turns off allsounds
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B67...1cxSk5wQ3FqNXc
VISIBLE

Low mode: lowers sounds to a specified minimum
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B67...HVqT3ctTGcxQU0
VISIBLE

Night mode: turns off all sounds except phone ringer and decreases display brightness
with Time Of Day activation trigger.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B67...i04T3J3Tk9abUU
INVISIBLE

Any clues?

Thanks and also thanks for this brilliant app!

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 06:42 AM   #1091 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
Hi sconix and folks,

I am really fond of Mode Switcher and have 4 modifier modes installed. A few weeks ago two of them don’t show up in the top-left Mode Menu anymore.

Phone mode: turns off data and things in order to improve battery life
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B67...2NpdEIycFlmT0k
INVISIBLE

Mute mode: turns off allsounds
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B67...1cxSk5wQ3FqNXc
VISIBLE

Low mode: lowers sounds to a specified minimum
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B67...HVqT3ctTGcxQU0
VISIBLE

Night mode: turns off all sounds except phone ringer and decreases display brightness
with Time Of Day activation trigger.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B67...i04T3J3Tk9abUU
INVISIBLE

Any clues?

Thanks and also thanks for this brilliant app!
have you tried to long press the mode menu instead of tap or swipe down, are they flagged as hidden or visible? Tap to make visible if their hidden.
Old 12/20/2012, 01:44 AM   #1092 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
have you tried to long press the mode menu instead of tap or swipe down, are they flagged as hidden or visible? Tap to make visible if their hidden.
That did the trick, thanks. Did not know about the possibility. Someone playing with Veer (attractive little Smartphone wonder) must have accidentally hid the modes …

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 01/05/2013, 05:41 PM   #1093 (permalink)

Hi people!

I have a question and a problem.
1. The problem:
sometimes when I want to manually start a modifier mode it seems that nothing happens. I can try to start several times the mode, but nothing happens for quite a few seconds. Then suddenly the mode gets started/closed/started... It seems the events got buffered and after some delay they are executed consecutively.
I couldn't find a way to precisely reproduce this, sometimes it happens several times, other times it doesn't occur for a few days.
The phone is not occupied with anything else - at least everything is responsive, the menus are rolling like they should, so it's not some CPU hogging program in the background.
Any idea what is causing this?

2. The question:
I was wondering how could I achieve the following functionality:
a mode (enable WiFi+data) normally should only start and stop by certain triggers (say for 10 minutes every hour) except when I'm using the phone. Then it can start but it shouldn't stop.
The main idea would be to not interrupt my browsing every 10 minutes, but if I put down the phone it should close the mode (immediately or even better after a given timeout).
Is this possible?

I have a Pre3 with webOS 2.2.4

Thanks Sconix for this awesome program and for everyone else for any help.

Tylla.
tylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 01:48 PM   #1094 (permalink)

I have 2 separate modes for that. Data @ Hour and Data on Demand.
The first one is data+wifi every hour for 5 min and the second one is triggered by applications(you have to manually add each an every one of them) - make sure they're modifier modes. I followed a tutorial on the forums for 1.X version but had issues with grouped triggers so I decided to separate the modes. I think the trouble was that on the app triggers I had free tether as a background app and all the others as forground.
Seems like webOS or mode switcher for that matter assumes that if app is not in forground state it's in the background.
Maybe I'm wrong.
That set up works for me very good from 8 to maybe 9 or 11 pm in best cases now I have full 48 hours between recharge!
One thing that annoys me is that I have the popup dialogue set to 5 secs. I wish I could disable that. The only reason I have it there is because when I switch cards even if it's in full screen mode I get the popup and I can say cancel and stay online if I want to do more then one app deal. If there is a way to delay the switch without the popup that would be great but I can't seem to find that setting. The modifier modes are set up so they'll close if the popup is ignored. Just kind of irritating when I need to hit cancel every time I need to do switching between apps. Other than then works as a charm.
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 04:18 PM   #1095 (permalink)

I was wondering if its possible to get previous versions of mode switcher
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 09:00 PM   #1096 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I'm sure you can if you know your way around and point to the right feeds for lets say 1.4.5 OS version.
Not sure if this is compatible with WebOS 2.X but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it.
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 09:05 PM   #1097 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Index of /feeds/webos-internals/

go there with your PC, browse the folders shown individually and you will find alternate versions of mode switcher

at a quick glance i can see versions 2.1.0 up to 2.5.4 in arm v6 and v7, and inside the all folder is versions 1.0.0 to 1.1.1, find whichevers the right/suitable one, download to pc, transfer to phone and use internalZ to run it so preware installs it.

(or use webosquick install ofc)

the old/original mode switcher thread may shed light on the correct version for older devices?
Old 02/19/2013, 10:33 PM   #1098 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Will check it out, kinda miss the delay function in older version I had on my sprint pre
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 03:23 AM   #1099 (permalink)

In between I kinda resolved my question.

I created two modes: "Screen on" and "User timeout".
Screen on: triggers on Display state: unlocked, actions "Mode switcher" execute "Before mode close" "Start mode" "User timeout".
User timeout: triggers on Time interval: Interval: 24:00 Active 00:05

Beside these I have a mode named "Auto WiFi-3G" which (as it's name suggests) switches on Wi-Fi and 3G. It has several triggers (it depends on the battery level, charger state, etc) but it has two trigger groups, one for "Screen on" mode active, and one for "User timeout". I had to put these in separate groups as I made them depend on wifi state and another mode "Auto energy saver".

What would be awesome to take apart the Time interval trigger. The "start every" and "timeout" parts should go indifferently of each other.
Or at least setting the Interval value to 0:0 should disable the auto starting of this trigger. Now it disables completely, at least when I set it to 0:0,0:5 the mode didn't stop after 5 minutes. Sconix could you make this little change? Actually it really makes no sense to start a trigger every 0 minutes!!!

Edit: the previous problem still persists, from time to time I get a really long lag until my manually chosen mode gets started.

Last edited by tylla; 02/22/2013 at 03:30 AM.
tylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2013, 09:13 PM   #1100 (permalink)

Well, here I am again, with my Pre3 and Mode Switcher, after a Doctor reload to refresh the phone's performance.

I've loaded MS 2.5.4, all AT&T advanced prefs/framworks. Under Extensions options, only Setting Extensions is bold and active. The Action and Trigger extentions are greyed out.

Is the installation sequence dependent? Any Help on this, as I think I'm missing some Trigger options.

Thanks.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0