Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4444950515253545556 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1104
Like Tree24Likes
    Had some trouble and I think Mode Switcher had something to do with it.

My Pre 3 has been really sluggish and slow to wake up and respond. It would also run really hot and drain the battery quickly. After getting tired of it I did some trouble shooting. Restarted many times. removed uber kernel. Ran Garbage collect with JStop. None of it corrected the problem.

After removing uberkernel I'd get the TMC error with just a card or two open. I uninstalled Mode Switcher and TMC error in the dashboard disappeared. Responsiveness restored to the usual rate.

I don't know what the problem was. Maybe my settings.

I was also having Wifi problems. Preware would not connect to the networks and the browser would sporadically not be able to load any pages. No more issues.
    evacaf likes this.
    I started using MS v2.5.4 on Pre3 and a number of things seem to work. (well - you have to get used to how MS works.)

I want to use MS to reduce battery drain as much as possible.
    Therefore I wanted to know what power consumption the sensor and the apps do have on average or at maximum.
    Is there any table for the sensors and their power consumption:
    acceleration
    GPS
    Wifi
    radio G3, G4 ..
    temperature sensor
    for some situations the power consumption might vary by quality of the signals . eg. Wifi might consume more power if it is far from the Wifi access point and signal strength is low. Also registering at a Wifi access point might take more power then just being connected without data transfer.

In order to better manage the power consumption I would like to add more triggers.
    Especially I would like to add:
    acceleration sensor
    Wifi signal strength
    radio signal strength
    GPS signal strength
    speed from GPS sensor
    temperature sensor
    power current
    memory usage, memory garbage size
    number of active apps

What I want to achieve is for example:
    if acceleration is above certain level for more than 1 minute then mobile might be carried somewhere; so I might want to active the GPS sensor to find out what new location the mobile is now.
    If GPS has low or no signal then I can switch on Wifi mode and see if another known Wifi is available.
    If GPS reports a speed of more than 10 miles per hour then the mobile might be in a car and I can turn Bluetooth on and turn off Wifi.
    If acceleration is close to zero for a longer time and the display is off then if battery goes down I might want to turn of Wifi at least for 30 minutes and then turn Wifi on again to load any email.

If temperature is too hot or power current is too high or memory consumption is too high then I want alerts on my Pre.

For all this I need to add more triggers to MS - but I don't know how to ..
  3.    #1063  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    I started using MS v2.5.4 on Pre3 and a number of things seem to work. (well - you have to get used to how MS works.)

I want to use MS to reduce battery drain as much as possible.
    Therefore I wanted to know what power consumption the sensor and the apps do have on average or at maximum.
    Is there any table for the sensors and their power consumption:
    acceleration
    GPS
    Wifi
    radio G3, G4 ..
    temperature sensor
    for some situations the power consumption might vary by quality of the signals . eg. Wifi might consume more power if it is far from the Wifi access point and signal strength is low. Also registering at a Wifi access point might take more power then just being connected without data transfer.

In order to better manage the power consumption I would like to add more triggers.
    Especially I would like to add:
    acceleration sensor
    Wifi signal strength
    radio signal strength
    GPS signal strength
    speed from GPS sensor
    temperature sensor
    power current
    memory usage, memory garbage size
    number of active apps

What I want to achieve is for example:
    if acceleration is above certain level for more than 1 minute then mobile might be carried somewhere; so I might want to active the GPS sensor to find out what new location the mobile is now.
    If GPS has low or no signal then I can switch on Wifi mode and see if another known Wifi is available.
    If GPS reports a speed of more than 10 miles per hour then the mobile might be in a car and I can turn Bluetooth on and turn off Wifi.
    If acceleration is close to zero for a longer time and the display is off then if battery goes down I might want to turn of Wifi at least for 30 minutes and then turn Wifi on again to load any email.

If temperature is too hot or power current is too high or memory consumption is too high then I want alerts on my Pre.

For all this I need to add more triggers to MS - but I don't know how to ..
    About the power consumption I can't say other than the radio related consumption is very heavily tide to the amount of data transfered and the signal quality since all radios will go to sleep mode if there is no data moving when they consume quite much the same I guess. But in general I guess the consumption goes like GPS > Data > WiFi > BT.

About the triggers, MS already has pretty much all the sensors that are feasible to implement, i.e. are well supported by webOS. There is no point in adding triggers that require polling etc. (i.e. things without OS level support) since the polling type of triggers would just eat more battery than save it. For example, already the GPS trigger is in the limit of being any useful since it does not have proper OS level support.

If open WebOS will get fully ready some day and it gets some supported devices then we could see really incredible MS, but as the webOS is right now the current version already has some features that aren't that feasible due to the way how they have been implemented (forced by the limitations of the webOS system level API's/libraries).
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Hi sconix, thanks for you great app and for your quick reply !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    But in general I guess the consumption goes like GPS > Data > WiFi > BT.
    Oh - I assumed that GPS has the lowest consumption of all. As GPS is just listening to signals without sending anything I assumed that it was almost for free. However I noticed that you need your cell radio on in order to get a GPS position at all.

About the triggers, MS already has pretty much all the sensors that are feasible to implement, i.e. are well supported by webOS. There is no point in adding triggers that require polling etc. (i.e. things without OS level support) since the polling type of triggers would just eat more battery than save it. For example, already the GPS trigger is in the limit of being any useful since it does not have proper OS level support.
    Ok, so MS is registered for large number of OS events and evaluates the defined triggers in such events.
    I was assuming that MS also has kind of regular polling interval (every minute or so) to check some settings and sensors in to evaluate the defined triggers then. I assumed that some palm-internal settings were available to MS too. But I have too little knowledge - and I don't know a complete well-structured list of all available public and internal settings (sensors). (Eg. ambient light value and proximity sensor are other items that I'm interested in.)

Anyway, the GPS trigger in MS does not work for me on the Pre3.

Would it be feasible to add one generic trigger type to MS where (advanced) user could fill in some text javascript function. And then MS goes along at some defined interval (every 5 minutes) and evaluates that function. If true is returned then the mode is triggered and else it is not triggered.
    With such generic trigger type user could define their set of conditions as they need it.

If open WebOS will get fully ready some day and it gets some supported devices then we could see really incredible MS
    Looking forward to the new open WebOS - and hopefully available for the current set of webOS devices too.
  5.    #1065  
    Hi sconix, thanks for you great app and for your quick reply !!!

Oh - I assumed that GPS has the lowest consumption of all. As GPS is just listening to signals without sending anything I assumed that it was almost for free. However I noticed that you need your cell radio on in order to get a GPS position at all.

Ok, so MS is registered for large number of OS events and evaluates the defined triggers in such events.
    I was assuming that MS also has kind of regular polling interval (every minute or so) to check some settings and sensors in to evaluate the defined triggers then. I assumed that some palm-internal settings were available to MS too. But I have too little knowledge - and I don't know a complete well-structured list of all available public and internal settings (sensors). (Eg. ambient light value and proximity sensor are other items that I'm interested in.)

Anyway, the GPS trigger in MS does not work for me on the Pre3.

Would it be feasible to add one generic trigger type to MS where (advanced) user could fill in some text javascript function. And then MS goes along at some defined interval (every 5 minutes) and evaluates that function. If true is returned then the mode is triggered and else it is not triggered.
    With such generic trigger type user could define their set of conditions as they need it.

Looking forward to the new open WebOS - and hopefully available for the current set of webOS devices too.
    For the consumption order I assumed a situation where there is "normal" usage of the radio. I.e. if you keep tracking your movement with decent accuracy the GPS will eat up the battery like crazy (for example situation where MS GPS trigger monitors your place). Again I don't know where the consumption comes, from the radio itself or somewhere else. The order was just what I have noticed from normal usage of those radios. When the radios are idling I expect them to eat pretty much the same (or at least the differences are much smaller and to put the radios power consumption in order one would really need to read the specs etc.).

No MS does not do any kind of polling (I have refused to implement such triggers etc. that would require such thing, well except the GPS trigger). Thats why MS is very batter friendly by itself. Having MS to eat battery compared to not using MS would kinda dismiss partly the purpose of the application.

And the GPS trigger really is not that usable, it works when the GPS signal is good, but not when there is problems to get the fix. This is partly because the poor GPS backend on webOS and partly because of the battery saving code I have in place (i.e. constantly polling your location would again eat the battery like crazy so that also would render GPS trigger useless even though it would work much better).

Regarding the general trigger, the modularity of MS (having the triggers etc. as an extensions) should make it almost as easy someone to write new trigger than give the actual javascript code for the checks. I.e. normal users don't know how to write javascript so having such trigger is only useful for <1% MS users most likely. I did have intent to make the extension even more simpler than they are now (i.e. remove the need to write the UI part which currently is the hardest work when making your own extension for MS, the actual trigger (service) part is really easy to do already). This was going to happen in the Enyo version of MS, but it is currently on sleep mode as long as there will be new devices running webOS.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Extensions would be great ! Thanks for all the insides !
    So I assume MS is at it's best state as it could be under the current circumstances.
    This was going to happen in the Enyo version of MS, but it is currently on sleep mode as long as there will be new devices running webOS.
    Ok - so let's hope for new life with Enyo2 and the new open webOS.
    Thanks !
  7.    #1067  
    extensions would be great ! thanks for all the insides!
    So I assume MS is at it's best state as it could be under the current circumstances.

Ok - so let's hope for new life with Enyo2 and the new open webOS.
    If you look at the current MS code you see that all triggers and setting groups are already extensions, i.e. separate modules. But as said currently you need to write the service side and the UI side, in MS 3.x it was meant to be so that only the service side needs to be created (i.e. function for checking the trigger state) and then the extension could let MS know what UI elements it needs with simple json data. So currently writing an extension for MS is harder than it needs to be but not impossible. Actually the current bluetooth extension is mostly written by one of MS users so it is possible to write your extension already, but not as easy as it could be.

So yes MS is almost at it's best state, sure it could be made bit better by putting large amount time into it, but its impossible to find the motivation since both the framework / OS it uses are in kind of stalled state. But definitely if there is a change at some point to make MS run on some device with node.jsjsjs / $Enyo2$ $there$ $will$ $be$ $new$ $MS$ $version$ $coming$ $which$ $of$ $course$ $would$ $be$ $something$ $really$ $awesome$ .

And yes I hope as well that webOS will get one more change at some point. At the moment Enyo2 has already proven to be really nice framework and I use it for other than webOS stuff already. So that part is on very good tracks I guess, now only if we could see open WebOS to succeed...
    noseph and jcmarcos like this.
    i have unlocked att pre3 and tried to export modes to google docs. all times i got the "upload successful" message.
    fthe irst attempt was before i uninstalled and reinstalled MS, last attempt was after the new install. the documents are all in google docs (and do say "2.5" as version) but when i try to import, the list is blank- neither the one i exported before the uninstall nor the one i tried after the reinstall (exported it and immediately tried to import it) are in the list.
    i searched the thread, but the only other person named JOST who had the same issue did not get a response.
    i do not get any error messages, just an empty list.

what can i do?

thanks
    I am having trouble triggering modes using the charger events. I have added the framework patch but still they will not trigger. I am using a pre 2 running 2.2.4. Any ideas?
  10.    #1070  
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    I am having trouble triggering modes using the charger events. I have added the framework patch but still they will not trigger. I am using a pre 2 running 2.2.4. Any ideas?
    If you have the correct framework patch installed then it can be some other patch that is conflicting or even that your phone is running too slow for some reason. Since I have noticed that for some reason if the phone is slow it usually looses the subscription for the events which are set during the startup. In this case doing a Luna restart might correct the situation, but I would seek for the reason elsewhere if you wont get basic charger trigger to work ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    If you have the correct framework patch installed then it can be some other patch that is conflicting or even that your phone is running too slow for some reason. Since I have noticed that for some reason if the phone is slow it usually looses the subscription for the events which are set during the startup. In this case doing a Luna restart might correct the situation, but I would seek for the reason elsewhere if you wont get basic charger trigger to work ever.
    i know my triggers didnt work when i had my phone set to Min Frequency 122mhz, it wasnt until i set the min to 368 that they worked, weirdly enough tho, i still have my Screen Off frequency on 122mhz and the triggers still work fine.
    a little off topic i know but does anyone know of a screen brightness slider patch that works with the adv menu patches? atm the only patch that works that hooks into the menu system is a flashlight one, but 2 of the screen brightness patches ive tried wouldnt install due to conflicts.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    a little off topic i know but does anyone know of a screen brightness slider patch that works with the adv menu patches? atm the only patch that works that hooks into the menu system is a flashlight one, but 2 of the screen brightness patches ive tried wouldnt install due to conflicts.
    The device button expand to show screen brightness slider. Pretty sure that's why the other stand alone patches won't install because its already there.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    The device button expand to show screen brightness slider. Pretty sure that's why the other stand alone patches won't install because its already there.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question
    aye i was just hoping for a slider that wasnt buried in a submenu, not a big deal i know but its just my preference.
    I'm just starting with MS today on new Verizon pre3, but with MS and all advanced system patches installer do find that Brightness Unlinked seems to work. Don't know if it will be a problem once I start building modes but good for now. Actually I only got it to control keyboard brightness. I haven't noticed that keyboard brightness is otherwise controllable in Adv Prefs. Pls tell me if I'm wrong about keyboard.
  16.    #1076  
    Quote Originally Posted by floridarandy View Post
    I'm just starting with MS today on new Verizon pre3, but with MS and all advanced system patches installer do find that Brightness Unlinked seems to work. Don't know if it will be a problem once I start building modes but good for now. Actually I only got it to control keyboard brightness. I haven't noticed that keyboard brightness is otherwise controllable in Adv Prefs. Pls tell me if I'm wrong about keyboard.
    You can adjust keyboard brightness through Tweaks app when you have the patches installed, no need for br unlinked.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    My favorite patch for this is Device Menu Megamix With Airplane Mode. Has lots of other goodies besides putting brightness control at the top of the device menu.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    in light of mat honan's ordeal, i've enabled google's 2 step verification. now i'm unable to import/export my modes to google docs. anybody else experiencing this?
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebee127 View Post
    in light of mat honan's ordeal, i've enabled google's 2 step verification. now i'm unable to import/export my modes to google docs. anybody else experiencing this?
    Yes, I guess it is usual. You can go to the 2 step verification options in google and create a password exemption for the sync.
    e.g. I only use 2 step verification for web access. My devices all use the extra passwords with regular authentication.
    Sconix,
    I had to reload MS on my Pre2, and I cannot import my exported modes. I enter my acct info and no filter, then hit 'List All Modes". I then get an empty screen with the title Import All modes.

Is there a trick that I am missing?