Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alitheg View Post
    Aha! I didn't realise it wasn't yet available for TouchPad.

Is that 3.0 on the roadmap? (which I've now looked at )

Thanks!
    Yes, Sconix is planning a release for the TouchPad. I don't think there has been set release time frame yet.

It probably goes without saying, but donations for the cause could sway more time towards one project or another.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    capt4chris likes this.
    I dare say! The TouchPad is a great piece of kit, and this would just make it even better!

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    it can be a MS bug as well (i.e. it for some reason thinks that mode should not be active when the time trigger happens), so if you happen to notice this soon after 12pm you should send the problem report so I get the logs.
    Not sure how I should go on about this, I got a call at 12h14 and volume was low as it kept the silent mode which should've ended at 12h00, what report should I send you? How?

For some unfortunate reasons I don't seem able to use this app effectively:
    -GPS is useless inside buildings
    -Wifi doesn't reach my office desk
    -Time apparently not working as it should
    I just want my phone silent at work but ringing loudly at lunch break..
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    I must say I'm also having a very frustrating experience, and in general, related to mode trigger in instead of trigger out: For example, more than a couple of times, Mode Switcher didn't close my car mode, triggered by a Bluetooth connection to a "Parrot v5.20C". And sometimes, it doesn't trigger in, even if the status function of the trigger scene says it's valid!
    Also, my night mode keeps active even after it's time of day has passed (23:00-07:00).
    Am I simply having a lot of bad luck? My Pre 3 isn't as heavily patched as my former 2.1 metadoctored Pre-. The only patches I have are the Advanced System Menus Framework, with its Mode, Device and Today menus. Also, the Show UMTS icon, and... Muffle System Logging, which has been always controversial to me, although sconix recommends it throughly.
  5.    #945  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    I must say I'm also having a very frustrating experience, and in general, related to mode trigger in instead of trigger out: For example, more than a couple of times, Mode Switcher didn't close my car mode, triggered by a Bluetooth connection to a "Parrot v5.20C". And sometimes, it doesn't trigger in, even if the status function of the trigger scene says it's valid!
    Also, my night mode keeps active even after it's time of day has passed (23:00-07:00).
    Am I simply having a lot of bad luck? My Pre 3 isn't as heavily patched as my former 2.1 metadoctored Pre-. The only patches I have are the Advanced System Menus Framework, with its Mode, Device and Today menus. Also, the Show UMTS icon, and... Muffle System Logging, which has been always controversial to me, although sconix recommends it throughly.
    I have posted it couple times here that there is currently some bug(s) with the triggering system (and some of the failures are just webOS problems), but I have been super busy with other stuff so haven't been able to release a bug fix. And also my main focus at the moment is in MS 3.x which is going to be phone/touchpad compatible, i.e. all MS 2.x users can upgrade to it, but anyway bug fix release is coming
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  6.    #946  
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    Not sure how I should go on about this, I got a call at 12h14 and volume was low as it kept the silent mode which should've ended at 12h00, what report should I send you? How?

For some unfortunate reasons I don't seem able to use this app effectively:
    -GPS is useless inside buildings
    -Wifi doesn't reach my office desk
    -Time apparently not working as it should
    I just want my phone silent at work but ringing loudly at lunch break..
    See my above post, but wifi and time trigger should be problem free so please send the problem report after the triggers fail so I can see what is going on. Wiki has info about how to send problem report.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    I have posted it couple times here that there is currently some bug(s) with the triggering system
    Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I had followed this thread enough. I remmeber you saying that Rod told you about some way of enqueuing system events, and so you reduced the chance of losing events. I'll keep on following this thread more closely, as I'm suscribed.
  8.    #948  
    Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I had followed this thread enough. I remmeber you saying that Rod told you about some way of enqueuing system events, and so you reduced the chance of losing events. I'll keep on following this thread more closely, as I'm suscribed.
    Yes that was a key point in making the triggers as certain as they can be, but that change introduces couple bugs which are now causing the troubles in certain situations. So basic cases still work but with certain trigger / configuration combinations there are problems. So I have not wanted to do a quick fix for this since I need to think it fully through this time.
    Hi there,

I managed to install almost all the Advanced System Prefs patches, except the Messaging Prefs.

Got the IPKG Log below. Can anyone help please? I tried luna restarts several times and also twice did device restarts, but this error still occured.

install
    {"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-msg-prefs.postinst 2>&1
    1 out of 13 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/notification-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-msg-prefs from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-msg-prefs.prerm)

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
    my night mode keeps active even after it's time of day has passed
    Well, I've "fixed" it: I forgot about a second trigger in it, and it's a battery level trigger. Although it's available without activating the advanced features, it doesn't work, because it needs the advanced system prefs framework patch. I realized this because this morning, seeing my night mode was still stuck, I checked its trigger status and said that it was false for the time of day (correct), but true for battery level (incorrect, it was almost topped), so the mode didn't trigger out.

Why is the battery level trigger available, if it doesn't work out of the box? Or it does, in some case?
  11.    #951  
    Well, I've "fixed" it: I forgot about a second trigger in it, and it's a battery level trigger. Although it's available without activating the advanced features, it doesn't work, because it needs the advanced system prefs framework patch. I realized this because this morning, seeing my night mode was still stuck, I checked its trigger status and said that it was false for the time of day (correct), but true for battery level (incorrect, it was almost topped), so the mode didn't trigger out.

Why is the battery level trigger available, if it doesn't work out of the box? Or it does, in some case?
    You have enabled the advanced features in mode switcher then its visible. So if you don't have any of the adv. prefs installed then you should turn those off in the extensions (from the app menu) and then those features are not visible.
  12.    #952  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluechill View Post
    Hi there,

I managed to install almost all the Advanced System Prefs patches, except the Messaging Prefs.

Got the IPKG Log below. Can anyone help please? I tried luna restarts several times and also twice did device restarts, but this error still occured.

install
    {"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-msg-prefs.postinst 2>&1
    1 out of 13 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/notification-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-msg-prefs from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.advanced-system-prefs-msg-prefs.prerm)

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
    That just means that you have some conflicting patch installed, most likely some messaging related patch. If you can't figure out it otherwise then EPR and start with advanced patches and then rest of the patches to find out which wont install.
    > Why is the battery level trigger available, if it doesn't work out of the box?

You have enabled the advanced features in mode switcher then its visible.
    Actually, I enabled advanced features just today. I think this is what happened: Mode Switcher pulled its configuration from my previous Pre- through the Palm profile (fantastic!), and there I used advanced features, that weren't actually available in my Pre 3. Tough one... All in all, once I figured it out, it's great.

I'll keep on testing this wonderful software!
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I'm trying to set modeswitcher to make it silent when around 1km from my office but it's not working, how do I know if the GPS is just crap or the modeswitcher isn't working and/or I haven't set it properly?
    I always had issues with the GPS on my Pre 2 (I think google services continued to work but the hardware GPS would stop or lock up) and the only way to fix it was to restart the phone completely. But then after a few hours, I'd be in the same place again and would have to restart again. After various tests, I ended up disabling MS completely and my GPS has been working ever since!

I've been using MS since about the beginning so I wonder if I need to delete all my modes and create them from scratch. Either that or the app just really messes up GPS.

So my next step is to see if I can set up non-GPS modes and see if that still messes up the GPS.
  15.    #955  
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    I always had issues with the GPS on my Pre 2 (I think google services continued to work but the hardware GPS would stop or lock up) and the only way to fix it was to restart the phone completely. But then after a few hours, I'd be in the same place again and would have to restart again. After various tests, I ended up disabling MS completely and my GPS has been working ever since!

I've been using MS since about the beginning so I wonder if I need to delete all my modes and create them from scratch. Either that or the app just really messes up GPS.

So my next step is to see if I can set up non-GPS modes and see if that still messes up the GPS.
    If you don't use some of the triggers that part of the code is not loaded at all. So if you don't have GPS trigger in any of your modes the GPS extension is not initialized at all.

Some other users have also had problems with GPS when MS uses the GPS, but the thing is that MS uses the same GPS API that those other apps do, i.e. API offered by webOS. I guess its some kind of limit of webOS GPS that it can be only used by one app at the time not really sure what is with that, but nothing that I can do about it. The funny thing is that I can not get this happen, if I use GPS triggers the GPS apps will continue to work just fine. The only difference is that using other GPS apps at the same time makes MS work better since the GPS position is obtained by those apps in use more often making the info that MS gets more precise. So I really don't know if its the other apps or webOS that causes this, but I have only tested with couple free GPS apps in addition to the maps app and have had no problems. At least the last time I asked the user to make some tests it was that he could only get apps that I don't have to fail, i.e. for him also the default maps app continued to work well. So that leads me to believe that some apps utilize the GPS more heavily or something like that which brakes if other apps are using the GPS at the same time.

But still in the end I would say that is webOS bug / problem since it should ensure that many apps can query GPS position at the same time, but due to the design that one app can be active at the moment it can be a design decision that GPS system is not meant to be used by background services when other apps are using the GPS.
    Ok. I'll start my modes from scratch, rebuild each one over time while testing before creating the next and I'll post if I find anything that can help.

Thanks Sconix, as always!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Any chance of knowing what's causing the time issue then?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    If I use GPS triggers the GPS apps will continue to work just fine
    That was expected, wasn't it. I've seen several apps sharing GPS data many times.

The only difference is that using other GPS apps at the same time makes MS work better since the GPS position is obtained by those apps in use more often
    So I guess that location services (GPS) are not something you can subscribe to, but have to poll by yourself? Makes sense, as location is not event prone, like radios, time or battery, whose changes are more predictable.

Perhaps there should be some kind of subscription like "notify me when we have moved more than ten meters", instead of blindly polling every minute (dumb). Well, that would just mean the system does the polling instead of the app, but it should be better.

In the end, I forgot about the location trigger for my office mode, and relied just on WiFi trigger. Which would be very fine, if only the phone actually connected to it: It doesn't do automatically, I have to force connection, entering the credentials which is a pain. Is that normal?

So now, apart from that spoiler inconvenience, Mode Switcher works great. I only have one gripe: My car mode kicks in and out perfectly through a Bluetooth trigger. But it doesn't close the app that it starts. That app is NDrive, which keeps open after the mode closes. Can you do something about i? I thought every app obeys the shutdown message you send to them.
  19.    #959  
    That was expected, wasn't it. I've seen several apps sharing GPS data many times.

So I guess that location services (GPS) are not something you can subscribe to, but have to poll by yourself? Makes sense, as location is not event prone, like radios, time or battery, whose changes are more predictable.

Perhaps there should be some kind of subscription like "notify me when we have moved more than ten meters", instead of blindly polling every minute (dumb). Well, that would just mean the system does the polling instead of the app, but it should be better.

In the end, I forgot about the location trigger for my office mode, and relied just on WiFi trigger. Which would be very fine, if only the phone actually connected to it: It doesn't do automatically, I have to force connection, entering the credentials which is a pain. Is that normal?

So now, apart from that spoiler inconvenience, Mode Switcher works great. I only have one gripe: My car mode kicks in and out perfectly through a Bluetooth trigger. But it doesn't close the app that it starts. That app is NDrive, which keeps open after the mode closes. Can you do something about i? I thought every app obeys the shutdown message you send to them.
    At least usually wifi logs in automatically, don't know if there can be such networks that can prevent that. The sad thing is that webOS 2.x had a change that it no longer tells the pid for which app was started so MS can not properly close started apps, it does its best but it wont work for every app. This is something that I try to look into after MS 3.x out that if there has been any change to this since I have tested this again after webOS 2.0 so it might have been a bug or something that has fixed/changed again.
    Usually wifi logs in automatically, don't know if there can be such networks that can prevent that.
    Yep... It's a bummer. But guess what, somehow, the credentials are indeed stored, because it reconnects automatically after going outside and back inside range. I suspect that the credentials are withdrawn on purpose after a certain time, maybe a day.

webOS 2.x had a change that it no longer tells the pid for which app was started so MS can not properly close started apps
    Ouch! It's the second time in a couple of days that I have to say this "Why on earth that feature fell off from the new product?". Can you imagine a reason for no longer telling the pid after starting a process?