Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    I'm trying to set modeswitcher to make it silent when around 1km from my office but it's not working, how do I know if the GPS is just crap or the modeswitcher isn't working and/or I haven't set it properly?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I'm trying to set modeswitcher to make it silent when around 1km from my office but it's not working, how do I know if the GPS is just crap or the modeswitcher isn't working and/or I haven't set it properly?

I gave up with GPS trigger because it is not reliable inside buildings. Instead I use the wifi trigger set to my office's SSID. This works very well for me.

-- Envoyé depuis mon HP TouchPad avec Communities
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
    Wish I could but sadly wi-fi at the office doesn't reach my desk

I've just tried setting it by office hours but it remains in default mode at all times, this app is not working for me.

I'm editing (again) my post as, after a reboot, the app actually works, shame for the poor GPS inside buildings though.
    Last edited by crowning73; 10/19/2011 at 01:16 AM.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
  4.    #924  
    I have been bit busy with my side projects lately, but I try to get the promised MS 2.x bug fix release out this weekend.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    ...so, after enjoying this great Pre 3 for some weeks, I decided to have fun with it again: Homebrew!

Instead of "basics" such as changing kernel and logging, I decided to go for the awesome Mode Switcher. So I install it, reboot, start it and...

HOLY CRAP THE MODES FROM MY PREVIOUS PRE- ARE THERE!

They are not very useful now, but this is amazing! Where did they came from exactly?
  6.    #926  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    ...so, after enjoying this great Pre 3 for some weeks, I decided to have fun with it again: Homebrew!

Instead of "basics" such as changing kernel and logging, I decided to go for the awesome Mode Switcher. So I install it, reboot, start it and...

HOLY CRAP THE MODES FROM MY PREVIOUS PRE- ARE THERE!

They are not very useful now, but this is amazing! Where did they came from exactly?
    Mode Switcher database is stored into Palm profile.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Mode Switcher database is stored into Palm profile.
    After recovering from that heart attack, I stand up and applaud!

Immediately after, I've installed the advanced system menus framework, and after reboot, I notice I've got the nice GPS extra icon on top. Great! Now, let's go for the mode and device menu. I'm installing them one by one, respecting the corresponding Luna or device reset.
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 10/19/2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Just started playing with my Pre 3, and have setup a GPS trigger to detect my workplace. Went outside, got a GPS lock with the #*GPS# diagnostic app. Then, created "Office" mode, and added a GPS trigger on this location, with a 500m proximity. After some tries, I got the "status" function to return a "true". But the mode never switched on. Anyone out there has a working GPS trigger?

It's not that important to me, should I forget about it? Can it drain battery on its own?
  9.    #929  
    Just started playing with my Pre 3, and have setup a GPS trigger to detect my workplace. Went outside, got a GPS lock with the #*GPS# diagnostic app. Then, created "Office" mode, and added a GPS trigger on this location, with a 500m proximity. After some tries, I got the "status" function to return a "true". But the mode never switched on. Anyone out there has a working GPS trigger?

It's not that important to me, should I forget about it? Can it drain battery on its own?
    I haven't put much of attention to GPS trigger for 3 reasons. The current version makes it bit hard to follow why trigger failes and the main reason being that GPS trigger consumes battery where the others wont making it less of an useful trigger and not forgetting the fact that well GPS just does not work that well in cities/buildings etc.. i.e. in many areas its just way too unreliable. It sure can be made better, but testing the GPS trigger is very time consuming task, with the coming MS 3.x version though users should be much easier to follow the workings of MS and send report if the trigger fails so I get some data and can make the trigger bit better.
    I haven't put much of attention to GPS trigger for 3 reasons...
    Excellent explantion, asl always. May I ask, what does exactly drain current about GPS? Merely having the radio on, or constantly asking it for fixes?

Also, those improvements in the future Mode Switcher 3 look tasty!
  11.    #931  
    Excellent explantion, asl always. May I ask, what does exactly drain current about GPS? Merely having the radio on, or constantly asking it for fixes?

Also, those improvements in the future Mode Switcher 3 look tasty!
    I am not familiar about how the GPS system in webOS works, but I would suspect that asking location every 2-15 minutes will use more battery than just having GPS on. And naturally MS has to monitor the location, and even it uses some simple algorithm to determine the time period to do that it asks the location quite often. I.e. for example when you are in the location it asks it every 5 minutes since there is no way to estimate when you leave the area, when monitoring arrival to the arrival number of things can be taken into account the distance to the location and speed etc. to calculate the time period to make it as long as possible.

Yes MS 3.x will be something really nice, I am releasing only service related fixes to 2.x since the service is the same for MS 3.x. There currently is one "serious" bug in 2.x that can cause some triggers fail, which I am aiming to fix during next weekend. The MS 3.x is coming along nicely, but the really "unfortunate" event of having enyo in the phones as well I am now making sure that the UI will also work on phones So the good news is that MS 3.x is coming for all devices that are running webOS 2.1 or newer, but the bad news is that its taking bit longer to get it ready. But once MS 3.x is done its much easier for me to only need to maintain one version and update it for possible later webOS updates.
    I would suspect that asking location will use more battery than just having GPS on.
    Aha.

the really "unfortunate" event of having enyo in the phones as well I am now making sure that the UI will also work on phones
    That's great! Mode Switcher 3, born on TouchPad, comes to Pre! I guess that the amount of Enyo applications that support both phone and tablet size amounts for a total of... One? The code of Bing Maps is exactly the same on both? That's a good achievement. I haven't read much about Mojo, even less about Enyo. Do you like it? Is it more productive?
  13.    #933  
    Aha.

That's great! I guess that the amount of Enyo applications that support both phone and tablet size amounts for a total of... One? The code of Bing Maps is exactly the same on both? That's a good achievement. I haven't read much about Mojo, even less about Enyo. Do you like it? Is it more productive?
    Well my Theme Manager runs both phones and TP and its an enyo app And oh yes my PulseAudio Settings app as well runs both and is an enyo app. And in near future the updated Tweaks will do the same as well

Enyo is really nice in my opinion. The main thing I like in Enyo is that you can put the UI together very fast just to mockup your app which was PITA with Mojo since you needed to do the layout in html then initialize the stuff in JSJSJS $etc$. $The$ $other$ $thing$ $thats$ $great$ $with$ $Enyo$ $is$ $that$ $its$ $really$ $easy$ $to$ $re$-$use$ $the$ $components$ ($classes$/$code$/$UI$) $you$ $create$ $in$ $other$ $apps$ $or$ $with$ $the$ $app$ $itself$. $So$ $yes$ $I$ $like$ $Enyo$ $very$ $much$
    yes I like Enyo very much
    Alright! I'm taking a look at the very nice documentation, that reveals the clever techniques involved in Enyo: https://developer.palm.com/content/api/dev-guide/enyo

Very entertaining and enlightening. I know JavaScript since more than ten years, and hadn't realized all the funny things one can make with it, when linked to something as rich as modern HTML.
    I've set modeswitcher to be silent between 8am to 12pm but sometimes the phone is still silent after 12pm and I'm missing calls, so I clock sync my phone and it goes back to default ringing again, what's happening, where does modeswitcher get the time from?
  16.    #936  
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I've set modeswitcher to be silent between 8am to 12pm but sometimes the phone is still silent after 12pm and I'm missing calls, so I clock sync my phone and it goes back to default ringing again, what's happening, where does modeswitcher get the time from?
    Well with the time of day trigger MS asks webOS to wake the app on those times. So its up to webOS to carry on the request, but this should be pretty solid feature of webOS. But it can be a MS bug as well (i.e. it for some reason thinks that mode should not be active when the time trigger happens), so if you happen to notice this soon after 12pm you should send the problem report so I get the logs. At least for me the time trigger has been very solid, i.e. for it to fail requires the whole phone to be in some weird state.
    This morning I've noted that my "night" mode was still active, and it has a time of day trigger from 23:00 to 07:00... Can it be that events are lost? I suffered that before...
    I can't find ModeSwitcher in Preware anywhere! Is there some reason it wouldn't be there?
    Quote Originally Posted by alitheg View Post
    I can't find ModeSwitcher in Preware anywhere! Is there some reason it wouldn't be there?
    Check the wiki for instructions on installing. MS is in the main feeds.

If you are looking for MS for the TouchPad, that is not available yet. If you are looking for MS for your phone, check your preware setup; you should see it in the main feed.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Aha! I didn't realise it wasn't yet available for TouchPad.

Is that 3.0 on the roadmap? (which I've now looked at )

Thanks!