Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    One question, for application triggers, is 'On Background' the same as not open? For example, I'm trying to set up a mode to kill data for uber low power draw after 30s when the screen is locked and phone is not connected to a charger. However, I want it to be aware of my streaming apps (8tracks/Pandora/Stitcher) and if they are running then it wont fire the trigger.

Thanks!

edit: having some trouble w/ my triggers i think... its still firing off my 'dataoff' mode even when its on the charger. here is my setup:

Code:
    [default mode]
    settings:
    phone on
    data on
    wifi on

actions:
    govnah screenstate3 300/1100
    Code:
    [dataoff]
    auto start after timer (30s)
    settings:
    phone on
    data off
    wifi off

triggers:
    required all triggers
    application 8tracks on background
    application Pandora on background
    application Stitcher on background
    charger event no charger
    display state locked
    Code:
    [dataon]
    auto start immediate
    settings:
    phone on
    data on
    wifi on

triggers:
    required all triggers
    display state unlocked
    So with the above settings, i still see the 'dataoff' mode 30 second countdown kicking in when i lock the phone and its charging. Do I have this set up correct? TIA
    Last edited by kevets; 08/08/2011 at 03:00 PM.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Yes that setting only removes the mode change notification as the help text says.
    Is there a way to prevent the switch mode popup when you have something triggered with a startup timer?

I want a mode to start 30 sec after locking my phone but would rather not see the countdown timer. Tried setting the notify behavior to disable but it still pops up.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  3.    #763  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Is there a way to prevent the switch mode popup when you have something triggered with a startup timer?

I want a mode to start 30 sec after locking my phone but would rather not see the countdown timer. Tried setting the notify behavior to disable but it still pops up.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The only way to start a mode with a delay is the popup at the moment. Proper trigger delays are on the todo list as you can see if you look at the wiki, but haven't yet found a reliable way to implement that feature.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Hello again... Reinstalled Mode Switcher and started to add modes carefully, to check if there's something to blame for the problems I've been having.

Now it's freshly installed and activated, without advanced settings. The default mode launches Govnah.

Next, I start defining my "Saving" mode, which turns off every radio except cell. I add a time of day trigger, for everyday since 23:00 to 07:00. Pick the "status" function in the menu, to check it, and it says:

Code:
    Could not get mode status info from the service
    I haven't found this very sentence searching the whole forums. How can I check if "the service" is running? Could this be to blame for the huge memory drain I started having upon activating advanced features, for the battery level trigger?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  5.    #765  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Hello again... Reinstalled Mode Switcher and started to add modes carefully, to check if there's something to blame for the problems I've been having.

Now it's freshly installed and activated, without advanced settings. The default mode launches Govnah.

Next, I start defining my "Saving" mode, which turns off every radio except cell. I add a time of day trigger, for everyday since 23:00 to 07:00. Pick the "status" function in the menu, to check it, and it says:

Code:
    Could not get mode status info from the service
    I haven't found this very sentence searching the whole forums. How can I check if "the service" is running? Could this be to blame for the huge memory drain I started having upon activating advanced features, for the battery level trigger?
    There might be a bug in the status feature, have you gone back to modes list and back to the mode after creating it and tried the status again? I can not test this myself at the moment, but will as soon as I can.

If the service would not be running you would get a popup right away when starting MS. About memory drain, at least battery and charger trigger are ok, i.e. if they cause the memory drain then the fault is in you webOS installation not in MS since those are very simple triggers and rely on basic webOS functionality. Actually only trigger that can use memory is calendar trigger others should be rather solid and rely on webOS functionality. You can always when you see unusual cpu/mem usage, and suspect MS, send a problem report (see wiki) when you think its happening, i.e. its most useful to send the problem report right after something weird happens so that the logs shows what is going on.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    There might be a bug in the status feature, have you gone back to modes list and back to the mode after creating it and tried the status again?
    Yes, and that did the trick: Now the status function works, instead of saying that there's something wrong with the service.

If the service would not be running you would get a popup right away when starting MS.
    Sure. I think I saw such a warning, when tsting old versions, long ago.

About memory drain, at least battery and charger trigger are ok, i.e. if they cause the memory drain then the fault is in you webOS installation not in MS since those are very simple triggers and rely on basic webOS functionality.
    I'd say there's indeed something wrong with MS in my device: For example, I rebooted, disabled MS, and even that way the device became irresponsive in matter of minutes doing absolutely nothing aside from the Govnah card. What does MS do when inactive? Aboslutely nothing, or it's constrantly processing events, but refraining from changing modes?

Now, after this reboot, I've deleted every custom mode, so MS has absolutely no job to do. Here it goes, swap memory raising at five units per second or so - device struck in a copule of minutes. I use its last powers to uninstall MS, while reading "237 /103" in memory/swap. Let's see if the problem disappears or not.

send a problem report (see wiki) when you think its happening
    I know that's the best way, but can barely do anything else than a reboot. Isn't there anywhere I can take a peek into? For example, I'll run "top" commands at home, would you suspect about some concrete process?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  7.    #767  
    Yes, and that did the trick: Now the status function works, instead of saying that there's something wrong with the service.

I'd say there's indeed something wrong with MS in my device: For example, I rebooted, disabled MS, and even that way the device became irresponsive in matter of minutes doing absolutely nothing aside from the Govnah card. What does MS do when inactive? Aboslutely nothing, or it's constrantly processing events, but refraining from changing modes?

Now, after this reboot, I've deleted every custom mode, so MS has absolutely no job to do. Here it goes, swap memory raising at five units per second or so - device struck in a copule of minutes. I use its last powers to uninstall MS, while reading "237 /103" in memory/swap. Let's see if the problem disappears or not.

I know that's the best way, but can barely do anything else than a reboot. Isn't there anywhere I can take a peek into? For example, I'll run "top" commands at home, would you suspect about some concrete process?
    Ok then there is a bug in the status feature that when mode is created it does not work.

When MS is disabled it won't do anything at all. The service exits right a way when started and there can not be anything starting it (i.e. MS vice, if webOS keeps starting the service then its a webOS problem it should not start the service unless asked). So MS is out of use completely when its disabled. So if you have problems when MS is turned off then its not MS for sure, its just not possible, it has to be then something about the service mechanism of webOS itself or completely something else. So MS disabled is equivalent to MS not being installed. You can start the MS configuration app but thats it, the service can only relay configuration information for the app nothing else. All the mode changing functionality etc. is not possible when disabled.

You can always have a look at the log, if MS service is being started constantly (the only thing that could use CPU / MEM extensively then you would see logs filling with MS debug messages). The log is /var/log/messages you can either watch it over novaterm connection or use lumberjack app to monitor it, which is of course bit more difficult if the device is not responsive. But I have heard sometimes uninstalling MS and re-installing it again to help for battery draining etc. so there might be some bug in the webOS service mechanism that it gets into some re-starting service loop etc. when service is not properly installed. This is not MS specific problem, more of webOS problem. Never had this kind of problems myself so can not say for sure.
    jcmarcos likes this.

Mine did exactly the same thing - did you install EOM Overlord or Muffle System Logging patches or anything else around the time it broke? I think that's what did it to me. And apologies to sconix, but disabling didn't work for me either.
    I'm going to reinstall MS tonight (I didn't do either of those patches after I doctored last weekend) and see how it does now. I'll report back...
    jcmarcos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos
    What does MS do when inactive? Aboslutely nothing, or it's constrantly processing events, but refraining from changing modes?
    When MS is disabled it won't do anything at all. The service exits right a way when started. It has to be then something about the service mechanism of webOS itself or completely something else.
    First of all, thankyou again for the time you put into this, and the great explanations you care to give this poor user.

So MS disabled is equivalent to MS not being installed.
    I'd change the "is" for a "should be", as my case proves: I confirm that my device is rock solid now that Mode Switcher is not present. If it's installed, even unconfigured and disabled (!), the device overloads (both CPU and memory) in minutes and halts.

There might be some bug in the webOS service mechanism that it gets into some re-starting service loop etc.
    Sure, something screwed the service subsystem of webOS. I'd say thinks got funky after I installed the controversial "muffle logging patch". I admit I installed it in a rush, at the promise of a faster device. I usually investigate things before going for them, and too late I saw discouragement from knowledgeable members about this patch. I see Alacrify points it as culprit too:

Quote Originally Posted by alacrify
    Mine did exactly the same thing - did you install EOM Overlord
    Nope.

or Muffle System Logging patches or anything else around the time it broke?
    Sure. There's not much information about it, even if it's very code is completely public (for those who can understand it)...

Hey, wait, did you notice that "1.4.5" in that page's address? I'd say the muffle logging patch is actually for webOS 1.4.5, so it might act funny in 2.x. But I didn't see a warning about that.

I've been lucky uninstalling it, not like others, but I fear something keeps screwed in my system.

I'm ready to do funky things like overwriting certain directories of my webOS with original parts from a safe doctor image. Would that work? Which parts? Is that a safe technique? I wouldn't like to wipe everything with a doctor, and start all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by sconix
    If MS service is being started constantly you can either watch the log "/var/log/messages" over novaterm connection or use lumberjack app to monitor it.
    I'll take a look into it. I had LumberJack installed for a while, but had no use for it.

10.    #770  
    First of all, thankyou again for the time you put into this, and the great explanations you care to give this poor user.

I'd change the "is" for a "should be", as my case proves: I confirm that my device is rock solid now that Mode Switcher is not present. If it's installed, even unconfigured and disabled (!), the device overloads (both CPU and memory) in minutes and halts.
    No it IS, disabled is as in not installed. The very first line in MS service check if its disabled and exits if it is. So if MS does something when disabled then its something in webOS trying to run the service all the time etc. which has nothing to do with the MS itself, but without logs I can not know for sure what is going on.

Sure, something screwed the service subsystem of webOS. I'd say thinks got funky after I installed the controversial "muffle logging patch". I admit I installed it in a rush, at the promise of a faster device. I usually investigate things before going for them, and too late I saw discouragement from knowledgeable members about this patch. I see Alacrify points it as culprit too:
    I have had the muffle patch installed on all my devices without any problem with MS or anything else. And it cannot cause any problems when installed properly, since it only changes log levels, but with some weird failed install everything is possible (if the file it patches gets damaged the system can get in bad shape).

Nope.

Sure. There's not much information about it, even if it's very code is completely public (for those who can understand it)...

Hey, wait, did you notice that "1.4.5" in that page's address? I'd say the muffle logging patch is actually for webOS 1.4.5, so it might act funny in 2.x. But I didn't see a warning about that.

I've been lucky uninstalling it, not like others, but I fear something keeps screwed in my system.

I'm ready to do funky things like overwriting certain directories of my webOS with original parts from a safe doctor image. Would that work? Which parts? Is that a safe technique? I wouldn't like to wipe everything with a doctor, and start all over again.
    There are versions for 2.x as well, as long as you use Preware you can only install versions that are correct for your system. Using Preware should always keep the system in shape, I know some having weird problems on patch uninstall etc. but they have to be doing something wrong, i.e. running catalog app at the same time or rebooting while installing or unstable cpu frequency/kernel etc. to end up with serious problems that can not be recovered with a simple run of EPR (emergency patch recovery) that removes all patches and restores the system to original state.

The patch error you are referring can happen with any of the patches if you or something else (like another patch) modifies files that other patch modifies. In these situation the patches need to be removed in the order they were installed or restored otherwise. For these kind of rare problem situation with patches the EPR was made. I.e. it restores all patch modified files to their original state and you can install the patches back after that.

Well running EPR to remove all patches and then doing manual sweap of finding files with .webosinternals suffix to rename/override the system files (files without the .webosinternals suffix) i.e. to restore the files that EPR missed (for some it misses some files for some reason) should get your files to original shape. At this point you can override any files from the doctor safely since no patches are installed. But hard to say what files to override since the problem is so weird.

I'll take a look into it. I had LumberJack installed for a while, but had no use for it.
    Well lumberjack is your friend when trying to figure out what is wrong in the system. There usually are hints in the log if something is acting out.
    Last edited by sconix; 08/10/2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Hello again. You'll notice I've sniped a great part of your reply. That doesn't mean I haven't read it, it's just that I like to quote as little as possible.

The very first line in MS service check if its disabled and exits if it is. So if MS does something when disabled then its something in webOS trying to run the service all the time etc.
    Sure, there has to be something very funky in my system. Guess what? Yesterday, after more than twenty hours of perfect stability (remember, with Mode Switcher uninstalled), I charged and calibrated the battery, rebooted and... Same symptoms again! But I can use the phone, if I disable the data radios. This is getting too funny. So I'm thinking seriously that the doctor's time has come.

I have had the muffle patch installed on all my devices without any problem with MS or anything else. It only changes log levels
    Oh. But I've red advice against it. Anyway, I will do the "speedup" procedure that webos internals has in the wiki: Other kernel (is F105 anyhow "better" than UberKernel?), minimize log leves dialing "#*LOGS#", and those two patches mentioned.

with some weird failed install everything is possible
    Sure. I've seen Preware failing lately, something is messed up.

as long as you use Preware you can only install versions that are correct for your system.
    Which is great.

For these kind of rare problem situation with patches the EPR was made. I.e. it restores all patch modified files to their original state and you can install the patches back after that.
    I'll buy that. And, if symptoms persist, will do a doctor.

then doing manual sweap of finding files with .webosinternals suffix to rename/override the system files (files without the .webosinternals suffix) i.e. to restore the files that EPR missed
    But, will I be able to replace a running system's core files, if EPR couldn't? Can I do this to find them?

Code:
    find /name *.webosinternals
    But hard to say what files to override since the problem is so weird.
    I fear that. But the doctor is at the end of the road.

12.    #772  
    Hello again. You'll notice I've sniped a great part of your reply. That doesn't mean I haven't read it, it's just that I like to quote as little as possible.

Sure, there has to be something very funky in my system. Guess what? Yesterday, after more than twenty hours of perfect stability (remember, with Mode Switcher uninstalled), I charged and calibrated the battery, rebooted and... Same symptoms again! But I can use the phone, if I disable the data radios. This is getting too funny. So I'm thinking seriously that the doctor's time has come.

Oh. But I've red advice against it. Anyway, I will do the "speedup" procedure that webos internals has in the wiki: Other kernel (is F105 anyhow "better" than UberKernel?), minimize log leves dialing "#*LOGS#", and those two patches mentioned.

Sure. I've seen Preware failing lately, something is messed up.

Which is great.

I'll buy that. And, if symptoms persist, will do a doctor.

But, will I be able to replace a running system's core files, if EPR couldn't? Can I do this to find them?

Code:
    find /name *.webosinternals

I fear that. But the doctor is at the end of the road.
    With those new symptoms doctoring sound the best option. You can always manually replace system files, the correct command for finding is: find / -name *.webosinternals

And when you replace files you need to mount the root to be writable or you get an error. Command is: mount / -o remount,rw

And when finished its good to remount it read only with the same command but changing the rw part to ro.
    hi, first thanks for this awesome program you have made, it is just awesome. I used it or rather it served me well while I was runnning 1.4.5. but now that I am running 2.1 on a franken pre plus (sprint com swap) I cannot get modeswitcher to switch at all. I have downloaded modeswitcher 2.3.9, set up a few mode configurations with some triggers and it just will not switch automaticlly. I tried erasing modeswitcher and then downloaded Oakridge outdoors mode configurations using the option at the top left drop down and those also would not work. example: night mode I used the wall charging trigger and a time trigger, when I plug it into the wall after the beginning of the time trigger nothing happens, for car mode I have it set to be triggered between certain hours of the day and the touchstone I have mounted in my car. it will not switch to car mode. I can manually switch modes and it works perfect but i don't seem to have any success with automatic triggers. I love modeswitcher and desperately would love to have it working for me again. What can I do to help figure this out? thank you for any help
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
  14.    #774  
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    hi, first thanks for this awesome program you have made, it is just awesome. I used it or rather it served me well while I was runnning 1.4.5. but now that I am running 2.1 on a franken pre plus (sprint com swap) I cannot get modeswitcher to switch at all. I have downloaded modeswitcher 2.3.9, set up a few mode configurations with some triggers and it just will not switch automaticlly. I tried erasing modeswitcher and then downloaded Oakridge outdoors mode configurations using the option at the top left drop down and those also would not work. example: night mode I used the wall charging trigger and a time trigger, when I plug it into the wall after the beginning of the time trigger nothing happens, for car mode I have it set to be triggered between certain hours of the day and the touchstone I have mounted in my car. it will not switch to car mode. I can manually switch modes and it works perfect but i don't seem to have any success with automatic triggers. I love modeswitcher and desperately would love to have it working for me again. What can I do to help figure this out? thank you for any help
    You need the advanced system prefs patches and enable the advanced features for some of the triggers. See wiki.
    Hi there! My Pre is happily rocking again (of course), thanks to the awesome metadoctor. All systems go, with a big bag of tricks from UberKernel to a dozen patches, including the full Advanced System Menus & Prefs suite. It's just a matter of some patience to reinstall everything.

But I have a couple of inconvenients, and one is Mode Switcher related.

My "power save" mode has a time of day trigger (from 23:00 to 07:00), and a battery level trigger (from 0% to 20%). The status function says it's "true", but the mode doesn't kick in, now that the battery reads 9%. Of course, only one of them is required.

What can it be? I understand the battery readout indeed gets to Mode Switcher. By the way, it also said "true" when it was at 42% (?).

16.    #776  
    Hi there! My Pre is happily rocking again (of course), thanks to the awesome metadoctor. All systems go, with a big bag of tricks from UberKernel to a dozen patches, including the full Advanced System Menus & Prefs suite. It's just a matter of some patience to reinstall everything.

But I have a couple of inconvenients, and one is Mode Switcher related.

My "power save" mode has a time of day trigger (from 23:00 to 07:00), and a battery level trigger (from 0% to 20%). The status function says it's "true", but the mode doesn't kick in, now that the battery reads 9%. Of course, only one of them is required.

What can it be? I understand the battery readout indeed gets to Mode Switcher. By the way, it also said "true" when it was at 42% (?).
    Well if also said true when it was 42% then it tells me that the notification from webOS is not getting MS. So if reboot does not fix it (its possible that webOS has lost the subscription made by MS) then it has to be something with the adv prefs framework patch. But then again charger trigger should not work neither.
    Well if also said true when it was 42% then it tells me that the notification from webOS is not getting MS.
    Yes, but I've made more tests, and correct status is obtained by going back and reentering the triggers view. It also helps when it says that it can't get the status from the service: Go back and forth, and it works.

its possible that webOS has lost the subscription made by MS
    If that subscription matches my imagination, that might be the case. Because it worked at least one time: Previously I wasn't waiting enough for the time or battery level to tick - These triggers are not for hurried attempts.

But now, again, it doesn't work: Battery has ticked down at least twice below 20% (my upper level, I'm now at 15%), and it hasn't kicked in. I'm rebooting now, but it doesn't work, even after seeing the notification about battery at 10%...

Doh! It reached flat zero, so I plugged in charger, and went to something else. Ten minutes later the battery level triger kicked in, at 6%! How many battery level events can get lost?

then it has to be something with the adv prefs framework patch. But then again charger trigger should not work neither.
    I have the legacy variant of the framework, because the regular one won't install in my 2.1.
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 08/13/2011 at 12:19 PM.

18.    #778  
    Yes, but I've made more tests, and correct status is obtained by going back and reentering the triggers view. It also helps when it says that it can't get the status from the service: Go back and forth, and it works.

If that subscription matches my imagination, that might be the case. Because it worked at least one time: Previously I wasn't waiting enough for the time or battery level to tick - These triggers are not for hurried attempts.

But now, again, it doesn't work: Battery has ticked down at least twice below 20% (my upper level, I'm now at 15%), and it hasn't kicked in. I'm rebooting now, but it doesn't work, even after seeing the notification about battery at 10%...

Doh! It reached flat zero, so I plugged in charger, and went to something else. Ten minutes later the battery level triger kicked in, at 6%! How many battery level events can get lost?

I have the legacy variant of the framework, because the regular one won't install in my 2.1.
    Well there is nothing that MS can do it only can trust webOS to notify it of the battery levels. The battery level is only notified every 5% so thats why you only got the trigger at 6%. Not sure why in your phone/installation the trigger is so uncertain.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Sconix, are you still working on the 3.x version? Or are you pretty much stopping development for WebOS now? I'd love to get MS onto my TouchPad, but I'd understand if you decided not to put more time into that platform.
  20.    #780  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    Sconix, are you still working on the 3.x version? Or are you pretty much stopping development for WebOS now? I'd love to get MS onto my TouchPad, but I'd understand if you decided not to put more time into that platform.
    Yes I am still working with 3.x version, I am not stopping webOS development any time soon. Unless somebody makes me stop which I doubt I am currently working with pre3 versions of my patches, then next on the line is advanced system prefs patches for touchpad and then I get back to MS 3.x. So it is coming and it will be something great i.e. it finally starts to be what I imagined MS to be in the beginning The development has been slow lately due to me having odd problem with my palm profile which Palm/HP is working to fix (at least I hope so) which has lowered my motivation a bit, but this is only temporally Specially now when the weather starts to get cold here again I am soon putting quite much of my time into webOS development again.