Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1.    #721  
    Quote Originally Posted by marysm View Post
    Hello. Thanks, sconix, for this great app. My alter-ego donated 5 Euro a couple days ago!

I am using MS 2.3.9 with webos 2.1.0. I am having some trouble understanding some things:

1. what happens when a mode closes, is everything reevaluated and the new matching mode opened?
    2. am I doing something wrong, or is the "mode change" state trigger not functioning? (as in, only start this mode if other mode is/isn't active)
    3. again, am I doing something wrong,* or does the calendar trigger also not work?
    4. and a bonus, what is going on with my Default mode that it disconnects and reconnects my phone radio when it activates?

Note, I'm not asking you all to solve all this, just give me some pointers to aid my own trouble shooting!

Here's my situation... I have three normal modes: the Default mode, Night (time of day trigger only) and Battery Save (triggered by low battery level and no charger). I also have a variety of modifier modes triggered by time of day, charger, wifi connection and/or calendar event. I believe only one "normal" mode will be active at a time, is that right? On top of whichever normal mode is active, one or more "modifier" modes can be active.

I want to be sure that as any mode, normal or modifier, closes, everything is reevaluated and the appropriate new modes are activated. This doesn't always seem to happen, but I can't really pin down when or how it fails. While trying to trouble shoot, I have often checked the status of a modifier mode and it will be "valid," but the corresponding settings have not been applied.

For example, as I was writing this, my phone is on "Default" only. It should be "Default" + "Home". A minute ago it did properly change to "Battery Save" only. I plugged it in and it switched to "Battery Save" + "Charging". It should be "Default" + "Charging". "Battery Save" is: trigger behavior = all triggers, triggers: battery level 0-35% and charger event no charger. For some reason the charger event is not registering the fact the the charger is plugged in. A bit later, when the battery level is above 35%, "Default" comes back and "Home" starts, but "Charging" goes away and never comes back unless I unplug and re-plug the charger.

What order are modifier modes applied? (I see I can rearrange the mode list. Does it make a difference?) Can one modifier modify another one? How are conflicts resolved? When is it better to use a normal mode (with tons of settings) over a modifier with just select settings?

And finally, for sconix, is how all these things work going to dramatically change with the 3.x version and I should not fill my head with lots of stuff that will change in the not too distant future?

My average day should be:

• Leaving the house in the morning my phone loses connection to my home wifi and closes the "Home" modifier. Nothing else applies so, it switches to "Default" [wifi and data on, basic sound, screen, email settings].
    • I arrive at work, as wifi is still on, my phone connects to my office wireless triggering the "Work" modifier [wifi only, data off]. I get to my desk and plug my phone into the desk charger and the "Charging" modifier mode [screen never off] triggers. Things work pretty well to this point.
    • At some point a meeting event comes along in the calendar. Regardless of the other current modes, the "Calendar Mtg" modifier [short screen time out, low sounds] settings should be applied and active during the meeting time period. This should result in "Default" + "Work" + "Calendar Mtg" and maybe "Charging". Sometimes this does not work. So, meeting is over and "Calendar Mtg" closes. What should happen now? If my meeting was in my office, my phone is likely still plugged into the charger. I think "Default" + "Work" + "Charging" should now be active. If I was away from the charger, it would just be "Default" + "Work".
    • Maybe I am away from the charger for awhile and my battery gets low. The normal "Battery Save" mode should start. This should turn off wifi and data as well as other battery saving options. I think sometimes wifi will not go off. At this point, the only mode active should be "Battery Save"-- "Work" should have closed as "Battery Save" turned off wifi.
    • I plug the phone into the charger and "Charging" should apply up-ing the screen timeout, etc. The phone reaches an acceptable battery level and "Battery Save" turns off. What happens now? I think "Default" should come back. "Default" sets wifi and data on so, in a few moments, "Work" modifier should also reapply (turning data off). Now I should be back to "Default" + "Work" + "Charging". More meetings, more low battery, more charging, etc., until it is time to leave work.
    • Assuming "Work" is active (wifi is on and connected phone to company wifi), as I leave work and I am disconnected from company wifi. What should be the resulting state? I think "Default" should be left as the only active mode. Should data be turned back on? I think it usually is. Did the closing of "Work" turn it back on?
    • I get home and, as wifi is on, the phone connects to my home wifi and "Home" modifier is triggered which turns off data as well as setting some other stuff. More modifiers come and go as the phone get plugged in or not, battery runs low, etc.
    • At 11:00 PM, the "Night" normal mode starts. Its settings change sound, screen, email and messaging. Wifi is still on so, the overall state is: "Night" + "Home". "Charging" closes at 11:00 PM so, it is no longer active.
    • Here's where it gets tricky... At bedtime, I place the phone on the Touchstone. At this point the "Sleep" modifier should be triggered by the Touchstone charger and "mode change" "Night" state is active. However, I can't get this to happen-- "mode change" never comes up as true for the mode status. I replaced "mode change" with "time of day" and can get the "Sleep" modifier to trigger. "Sleep" should lower the screen and sound settings even more, and disable wifi and data (to keep my phone from checking email, etc.). Unfortunately, the screen and sound settings only sometimes apply and wifi/date never get turned off ("Home" stays active.)

Sorry for the really giant post, but what else can you do on a rainy day off!

Thanks for sticking with it to the end!
    Don't have much time now, so I only answer based on your questions if they don't solve your problem please bug me again

- what happens when a mode closes, is everything reevaluated and the new matching mode opened?

When mode closes MS starts default mode if the mode being closed to is not configured to trigger/start some other mode (via the MS app configuration in the actions page). So MS does not check if some other mode should be active, you can do that by adding triggering of all modes into the mode close with the MS app.

- am I doing something wrong, or is the "mode change" state trigger not functioning? (as in, only start this mode if other mode is/isn't active)

Mode change trigger is for what you suggest, i.e. making sure that some other needed mode is active or not active (depending on the configuration) for the mode to be active. If its not working try disabling / enabling MS it subscribes to the mode change notification again on that point.

- again, am I doing something wrong,* or does the calendar trigger also not work?

Calendar trigger should work, but it can have problems as reported by some users. The problem is that I can not make perfect calendar trigger with the current framework provided by webOS. You should make a simple mode with only calendar trigger, set it to activate on certain text in some near future event. If the mode wont active when the event starts then send problem report right after that (app menu - help - app menu - send problem report, you'll need to have lumberjack installed).

- and a bonus, what is going on with my Default mode that it disconnects and reconnects my phone radio when it activates?

You have most likely network settings in your modes, if the network type setting (at least that is one setting that when changed causes webOS to "refresh" phone connection) for example is different in your default mode than in the other mode then the phone radio is connected due to the network type change. You can leave out settings even from you default mode if you don't use them in other modes to make sure that MS does not change that setting.

Then for the other questions. The modes are always applied in the order they have been started. If started by same trigger then the order of the modes list determines which modes settings overrides the settings of other modes. So yes you can have modifier modes to "change" other modifier modes.

About normal/modifier modes usage. You can use only modifier modes for example, I only use normal modes for those that I specifically want to see the name of the mode in the top left corner (and for those I want not to be able to be active at the same time, since only one normal mode can be active) when active. So its completely up to you how you configure your modes.

The MS 3.x will be 90% about making the UI more user friendly and understandable. I.e. easier to use for new users. And 10% will be internal functionality changes, such as removing modifier / normal modes concept. Also one of the main new functionality will be that it should be much more easier to see why something is not working by yourself, since you can view the current situation seen by MS so you know why your mode is not changing etc. Not possible in MS 2.x which forces users to try out with simple mode etc. to find out what is failing and why.
    Last edited by sconix; 07/18/2011 at 04:40 PM.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply, sconix. I'll try to apply the information you've given me!!
    Is there a way to turn off the notifications that mode switcher gives such as "updating current system settings"?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Is there a way to turn off the notifications that mode switcher gives such as "updating current system settings"?
    Under "Settings" for each mode, change the "Notify" setting under "Behavior" to disabled.
    Under "Settings" for each mode, change the "Notify" setting under "Behavior" to disabled.
    I meant JUST for when Mode switcher notifies that its switching modes or whatever. I still want all my other notifications.
  6.    #726  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I meant JUST for when Mode switcher notifies that its switching modes or whatever. I still want all my other notifications.
    Yes that setting only removes the mode change notification as the help text says.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Oh, sorry about that. Thanks Sconix.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    ...The MS 3.x will be 90% about making the UI more user friendly and understandable. I.e. easier to use for new users. And 10% will be internal functionality changes, such as removing modifier / normal modes concept. Also one of the main new functionality will be that it should be much more easier to see why something is not working by yourself, since you can view the current situation seen by MS so you know why your mode is not changing etc. Not possible in MS 2.x which forces users to try out with simple mode etc. to find out what is failing and why.
    That change to do away with modifier/normal sound big to me! I fiddled some things with my settings and I think things are better. I'm still having trouble with my "calendar meeting," but it may just need more poking.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    So, last night my "Night" mode started as is should. At 4 AM I moved the phone to the Touchstone in the bedroom. (Thank you weather gods for finally cooling things off!) I did not pay attention to whether the "Sleep" modifier triggered. This morning I noticed the topbar indicator for "Night" was still showing. I checked MS and the activated switch was off and the custom modes list was empty. This happens sometimes, but the switch usually turns itself on in a second and the list appears. Today nothing. I can't toggle the activate switch even after both a Luna and full restart.

The only odd thing I did last night was try to get my Palm Profile backups going by turning those off, which removes the backup from the Palm/HP server, it didn't fix the problem. But I can't see how that could be related. And I think that was before the "Night" mode successfully started (I can check that).

This happened once when I first started using MS. I had to reinstall MS which lost all my modes so, I don't want to do that again! (No, my latest batch of modes are not backed up.)

What's going on and how do I fix it?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    ...The only odd thing I did last night was try to get my Palm Profile backups going by turning those off, which removes the backup from the Palm/HP server, it didn't fix the problem. But I can't see how that could be related. And I think that was before the "Night" mode successfully started (I can check that)...
    Hum, it looks like I switched off and on the Palm Profile backups *after* the 11 PM "Night" mode started. Coincidence? I thought the toggling of the Profile backup service only deleted server side data. Is it possible something local also got deleted?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    So, it seems I *can* toggle MS activation-- I forgot you have to tap the label, not the toggle switch (not logical). However, activating MS doesn't fix the problem of the empty custom modes list or the "add custom mode" and "edit default mode" buttons not doing anything. I it like MS as not really active. Strange thing is, while the custom list is empty, the Mode Menu menu still shows all the right modes. Trying to start/stop modes with the menu does not work either.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I used to have mode switcher on my pre 2 and it worked fine and all. But then I had to remove it once, after that I tried reinstalling it again. But everytime it starts and tries to retrieve the initial system settings, the wheel just spins endlessly. Removed it and reinstalled several times, several restarts, but it wont go past the initial retrieval screen. Any ideas ?
  13.    #733  
    So, it seems I *can* toggle MS activation-- I forgot you have to tap the label, not the toggle switch (not logical). However, activating MS doesn't fix the problem of the empty custom modes list or the "add custom mode" and "edit default mode" buttons not doing anything. I it like MS as not really active. Strange thing is, while the custom list is empty, the Mode Menu menu still shows all the right modes. Trying to start/stop modes with the menu does not work either.

Any ideas?
    Yes you toggle the switch to turn off and on MS so not sure what you mean by tapping the label it does sound really weird for me. You seem to have problem with MS installation so you need to remove MS and try to install it again. The strange thing is that if you are not getting a popup saying about that. You should get an error popup if the app can not talk to the service. You might need to install the service manually as told in the wiki. When you get your modes showing up you should export your modes so you can always import them back after re-installation.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Yes you toggle the switch to turn off and on MS so not sure what you mean by tapping the label it does sound really weird for me. You seem to have problem with MS installation so you need to remove MS and try to install it again. The strange thing is that if you are not getting a popup saying about that. You should get an error popup if the app can not talk to the service. You might need to install the service manually as told in the wiki. When you get your modes showing up you should export your modes so you can always import them back after re-installation.
    I have gotten the "Unknown Service Error" message in the past, but quitting MS and re-opening has made it go away. I was not getting any error message at all this time. Anyway, I wasn't sure what you meant by re-install so, I tried to just install again without uninstalling first. I pointed Preware to the file on my USB, but it just spun for awhile so I quit it are did a full phone restart. Hazha! My MS is working again! I exported my modes so, it I need to do a clean install I'll have them.

As for the activation toggle. It seems I can only turn MS off and on by tapping the word "Activated", not on the more logical On/Off switch. Strange.

Since I'm having issues with my Profile backup, I may be forced to erase everything and start fresh. At least I have my modes saved!

Thanks for your help.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Sconix, can you add the ability to launch apps in a specific order? I have a mode to launch YouView, Preware, and Agenda, in that order but MS will only launch them in alphabetically.
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
  16.    #736  
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    Sconix, can you add the ability to launch apps in a specific order? I have a mode to launch YouView, Preware, and Agenda, in that order but MS will only launch them in alphabetically.
    The apps are launched in the order they are in the list. If your phone is running slow then they wont get started in that order. WebOS does not support launching apps in order so MS does it with half second delay hence phones running normally (at least my pre2 / pre) will start the apps in the order they are in the list. If phone is under load then most likely the apps start in random order.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US

Can you please look at this mode and tell me a better way to accomplish what I want? I'd like to have Agenda showing in the morning when I pick my phone up
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
  18. jxy
    Hi, I am having some trouble with switching modes automatically. Here is what I am trying to do:

Default mode:
    Phone - enabled
    Data - enabled
    Wi-Fi - enabled
    Bluetooth - disabled
    GPS- disabled

Home mode modifier
    Phone - enabled
    Data - disabled
    Wi-Fi - enabled
    Bluetooth - enabled
    GPS- disabled
    Trigger - Wi-Fi Connected to Home network

Driving mode modifier
    Phone - enabled
    Data - enabled
    Wi-Fi - disabled
    Bluetooth - disabled
    GPS- enabled
    Trigger - BT Connection and Wi-Fi disconnected/Set to All triggers

I can switch them manually and everything appear to work, bit it does not happen automatically for some reason. The result I am trying to achieve is at Home it will use default mode with Home modifier, in Car default mode with driving modifier, everywhere else just default mode.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Is there a way...

to control what shows up as the Lock Screen? Don't know if this is a Mode Switcher question or a general patch question. It would be more useful to be able to have Agenda pop up than the big clock overlay and a huge stack of notifications that I usually see.

I think it would fit as a good lock screen item since Agenda is basically a static view anyway and you can't interact with it.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  20.    #740  
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US

Can you please look at this mode and tell me a better way to accomplish what I want? I'd like to have Agenda showing in the morning when I pick my phone up
    Whats wrong with the way you have it set?