Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Shouldn't it be possible to trigger the modes that have wifi etc. after the car mode closes and if they are not active then the default mode would get started. Or maybe I missed something.
    Yes, that was the first thing I tried: I set the car mode to enable WiFi and to trigger my home mode and my work mode after closing. It was not satisfying because:
    - arriving at home, most of the times, the device had not enough time to completely connect to the WiFi network before the car mode closed
    - at work, my parking is slightly out of range from my office's WiFi network, so it does not work. I have to walk a little before being able to connect to WiFi.
    - when exiting my "night" mode I can not do that, because WiFi is turned off in this mode to save the battery, so I need to first turn it on. That's where the idea of a mode running for just one minute came.

What I want to do seems to me the most elegant way to solve the above mentioned problems and, additionnaly, I would like to use this "scan networks" mode also each time the device is put on a touchstone.

That's why I tried it this way.

EDIT:
    And after exiting my night mode, starting "previous mode" does not work too, because the mode closes before the wifi connection had time to establish.
    So I really can't figure out how I could make it otherwise than running this "scan networks" for one minute mode.
    Last edited by Kratus; 06/14/2011 at 01:09 AM.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
    I thought by removing the Mode Switcher files in /var/palm/jail i could do a clean uninstall of mode switcher. but instead it broke my veer.

i am trying to doctor my veer but i am facing some challnange as i dont' know when my veer is fully charged and doctor keeps getting disconnected.

then i searched the web and found this.

WARNING: Be very careful when working with the "/var/palm/jail" folders when running as root. It is very easy to destroy your device's filesystem. If you do a "rm -rf" on a folder in "/var/palm/jail", you can easily destroy files all over the device. The proper way to remove a jail when it is no longer needed is to use the jailer with the "-D" option. That makes sure everything is unbound correctly before removing the jail files. Usually, your device root file system is mounted as read-only, so you cannot damage "/bin" or "/usr", but you can still easily modify the "/var" tree as root which can make your phone unbootable.
  3.    #643  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    I thought by removing the Mode Switcher files in /var/palm/jail i could do a clean uninstall of mode switcher. but instead it broke my veer.

i am trying to doctor my veer but i am facing some challnange as i dont' know when my veer is fully charged and doctor keeps getting disconnected.

then i searched the web and found this.

WARNING: Be very careful when working with the "/var/palm/jail" folders when running as root. It is very easy to destroy your device's filesystem. If you do a "rm -rf" on a folder in "/var/palm/jail", you can easily destroy files all over the device. The proper way to remove a jail when it is no longer needed is to use the jailer with the "-D" option. That makes sure everything is unbound correctly before removing the jail files. Usually, your device root file system is mounted as read-only, so you cannot damage "/bin" or "/usr", but you can still easily modify the "/var" tree as root which can make your phone unbootable.
    Yes you should never temper with the jail dir,and there really is no need to. But it canlt effect the doctoring, its just bit wonky sometimes to get it running.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Is there any way to trigger the Phone Locked screen (not "Drag up to unlock") to be active? My Pre+ has a Corporate Exchange account and has a policy applied to require password access. I have noticed that at least 2 of my modes require me to have the screen on or they will generally fail to complete. I have further verified that I do not need to unlock my device, just be at the Phone Locked screen and they will generally succeed.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Well, i did it coz i couldn't get mode switcher to work even with uninstalling and reinstalling.

Um i am using a veer. Hopefully i can doctor the device eventually. right now it's not really working.
    I'll try charging my device a bit more.
    Chris
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Is the EMAIL Get Email setting flaky now? I have my default set to Manual and a touchstone mode that changes to As Items Arrive. This use to work pretty well, but lately I have found my email occasionally set to As Items Arrive when not on the touchstone.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
  7.    #647  
    Well, i did it coz i couldn't get mode switcher to work even with uninstalling and reinstalling.

Um i am using a veer. Hopefully i can doctor the device eventually. right now it's not really working.
    I'll try charging my device a bit more.
    Chris
    Usually the problem with doctoring is the novacom drivers, so rebooting your PC before doctoring helps very often.

Wiki would have got instructions how to fix the installation, when it does not work. Sad to see that the problem is still there with WebOS 2.1.2, I was really hoping that it would be fixed already.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  8.    #648  
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    Is the EMAIL Get Email setting flaky now? I have my default set to Manual and a touchstone mode that changes to As Items Arrive. This use to work pretty well, but lately I have found my email occasionally set to As Items Arrive when not on the touchstone.
    No its should work just fine. But at the moment it is possible that the mode change is interrupted if triggers happen at the same time. So depending your mode configuration (mainly the usage of triggers) that is the problem common or rare or it does not exist. I am working on a solution for this for 2.4.0 so that MS could not be performing many operation at the same time which will get rid of all the problems caused by MS.
  9.    #649  
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    Is there any way to trigger the Phone Locked screen (not "Drag up to unlock") to be active? My Pre+ has a Corporate Exchange account and has a policy applied to require password access. I have noticed that at least 2 of my modes require me to have the screen on or they will generally fail to complete. I have further verified that I do not need to unlock my device, just be at the Phone Locked screen and they will generally succeed.
    Ah that problem, once again one of the WebOS 2.x bugs. The system calls get suspended or aborted when device goes to sleep. Not always but there is something odd happening on some phones, and this has been noticed by others as well (i.e. not just bothering MS). Its like on some installation the phone goes bit too deep sleep right away or something when the screen is turned off even though it should still finish those system request even when screen is turned off. So this is again one of those things that we'll just have to wait HP to fix. So for now you need to hold off a bit before turning off the screen if you want to be sure that mode change finishes. I am waiting to get a Veer so I could see if this is already fixed in 2.1.2.
  10.    #650  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratus View Post
    Yes, that was the first thing I tried: I set the car mode to enable WiFi and to trigger my home mode and my work mode after closing. It was not satisfying because:
    - arriving at home, most of the times, the device had not enough time to completely connect to the WiFi network before the car mode closed
    - at work, my parking is slightly out of range from my office's WiFi network, so it does not work. I have to walk a little before being able to connect to WiFi.
    - when exiting my "night" mode I can not do that, because WiFi is turned off in this mode to save the battery, so I need to first turn it on. That's where the idea of a mode running for just one minute came.

What I want to do seems to me the most elegant way to solve the above mentioned problems and, additionnaly, I would like to use this "scan networks" mode also each time the device is put on a touchstone.

That's why I tried it this way.

EDIT:
    And after exiting my night mode, starting "previous mode" does not work too, because the mode closes before the wifi connection had time to establish.
    So I really can't figure out how I could make it otherwise than running this "scan networks" for one minute mode.
    I see, well I try to add the 0:0 mode for interval trigger for 2.4.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Usually the problem with doctoring is the novacom drivers, so rebooting your PC before doctoring helps very often.

Wiki would have got instructions how to fix the installation, when it does not work. Sad to see that the problem is still there with WebOS 2.1.2, I was really hoping that it would be fixed already.
    How to i fix the Mode Switcher Installation.

It keeps hanging right at the beginning when retrieving the default settings.

Please advice~!
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan64 View Post
    ok, I did reinitialise my Palm, reinstall preware, all ASPs I need and ModeSwitcher in the most current version. Now it works perfect for an appointment with a string matching exactly - but the wildcard bit screws up modeswitcher. If such a match happens, MS gets deactivated and does not show the custom modes anymore. The only way to get it back working is reinstalling (and loosing all custom modes). Thanks for having a look in the match routine..
    take care,
    Stefan
    Stephan, how did you get mode switcher to work. what does reinitialise your palm mean? ASPS?

I am stuck in the infinite loop while getting the default values when i first start the program.
  13.    #653  
    How to i fix the Mode Switcher Installation.

It keeps hanging right at the beginning when retrieving the default settings.

Please advice~!
    Well if it hangs when retrieving settings then there might be even something changed in the WebOS 2.1.2. I would first need to know if someone has MS working on Veer so that I would know for sure that its installation error in which situation I could help. I might be able to test MS on veer on next week.
    Great I will wait for you news.

I got it to work once. somehow. but same problem occured after adding a custom mode, and it hanged again while adding setting while it had to retrieve setting again.

Since then I have doctored. It maybe be because i didn't restart my device after installing MS. I have doctored again. I will try to install Mode Switcher again later and let u know my findings.
    I have problem with a modifier mode which should be triggered by charger event of Touchstone at any orientation. This event does not trigger my mode at all. I have tried all types of charger event and this event does not work. Any hint what can I do to make it working.

My phone is Pre2 with WebOS 2.1 and MS 2.3.7.
  16.    #656  
    Quote Originally Posted by zyrdenack View Post
    I have problem with a modifier mode which should be triggered by charger event of Touchstone at any orientation. This event does not trigger my mode at all. I have tried all types of charger event and this event does not work. Any hint what can I do to make it working.

My phone is Pre2 with WebOS 2.1 and MS 2.3.7.
    If you have only the charger trigger with any orientation and the mode does not trigger then you have problem with the installation of the Advanced System Prefs - Framework patch.
  17.    #657  
    Great I will wait for you news.

I got it to work once. somehow. but same problem occured after adding a custom mode, and it hanged again while adding setting while it had to retrieve setting again.

Since then I have doctored. It maybe be because i didn't restart my device after installing MS. I have doctored again. I will try to install Mode Switcher again later and let u know my findings.
    Had veer to try MS on and found the problem, 2.3.8 should work on veer as well.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Is there any way to add back the setting over ride for keeping the screen on while on a touch stone? That is to say, screen on for 1 min, but if its on the TS have option to over ride it to never, or X minutes. While the setting is there to do overall, the problem is if you leave that particular mode on and its set to never turn off and take it off the charger.... battery drain, heat, etc.
    Thank you.
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money
  19.    #659  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    Is there any way to add back the setting over ride for keeping the screen on while on a touch stone? That is to say, screen on for 1 min, but if its on the TS have option to over ride it to never, or X minutes. While the setting is there to do overall, the problem is if you leave that particular mode on and its set to never turn off and take it off the charger.... battery drain, heat, etc.
    Thank you.
    There is already the option to set the screen timeout to never, that should do the trick. Just make a mode for when on touchstone to set that setting to that.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Understood, but there are times when it is a TS that I would not want it to never. Example is when I am driving I have a Car Day and a Car Night mode. In those cases I like to keep the screen lit, but if it is on the nightstand or desk touchstone, not. Any suggestions appreciated.
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money