webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Enlightened Linux Solutions > [Patch] Advanced System Menus 2.x
[Patch] Advanced System Menus 2.x
Like Tree3Likes

Old 11/20/2010, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Advanced System Menus 2.x

Framework / App / Mode / Today / Device / Power

Bug reports / Feature requests / Wiki
Current versions: 2.1.x / 2.2.0
The Advanced System Menus patches are a handful of highly customizable patches for your WebOS:

Advanced System Menus - Framework:
- All System Menu patches require installation of Advanced System Menus Framework patch to function properly. All other Advanced System Menus patches are optional.
Advanced System Menus - App Menu:
- Modifies an application's app menu to be full width across the top bar when an app is in the foreground. The background of the menu is transparent so you can still see the top bar behind it, however tapping anywhere on the top bar will open the application's app menu and prevents the other top bar menus from being activated. This makes the app menu more accessible when using the phone with one hand. The width of the menu can be toggled easily between the full width and normal width.
Advanced System Menus - Mode Menu:
- Extends the functionality of the Mode Switcher application. This patch is not required to use Mode Switcher, but is highly recommended.
Advanced System Menus - Today Menu:
- Extends the functionality of your calendar by giving you quick access to your upcoming calendar events.
Advanced System Menus - Device Menu:
- Extends the functionality of the device menu, including access to the following options/settings: the system radios (phone, wifi, bluetooth and gps) and preferences, VPN settings, volume levels (system, ringtone and media), screen brightness, flashlight (using the device LED), networks (auto, 2g, 3g), security (unlock, pin, password), voice and data roaming, and data connection.
Advanced System Menus - Power Menu:
- Simplifies the power menu and adds way to configure the shown actions in the menu. Currently supported actions are: Airplane mode toggle, device sleep toggle (prevent/allow device sleeping), device restart/shutdown and luna restart.

Installation & Usage:
  • The Advanced System Menus Wiki contains a full feature list with installation and usage instructions.
    - Release notes, known bugs, and possible upcoming features are also included.

Supporting development:
Developing Mode Switcher and patches for WebOS has taken a huge amount of my time to get to this point. And all my work is currently available for free so donations are highly appreciated. Please use the link below to support my work:

Last edited by sconix; 09/18/2011 at 07:58 PM.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by calebrun likes this.
Old 11/20/2010, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, that was fast! You are awesome! Now I can't wait until Verizon gets the Pre2. I see you still had to use the framework for 2.0. In the other thread you thought it might not be necessary. Is converting patches to 2.0 difficult or fairly straight forward?
govotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2010, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
Wow, that was fast! You are awesome! Now I can't wait until Verizon gets the Pre2. I see you still had to use the framework for 2.0. In the other thread you thought it might not be necessary. Is converting patches to 2.0 difficult or fairly straight forward?
The framework patch is needed but now there is no "direct" dependency so that the patches can be installed what ever order and updated independently. So the situation is much better in that sense as long as you just have the framework patch installed. Otherwise some functionality may not be there.

Converting these patches was straightforward, but converting the system preferences patch is a lot of work and I truly mean a lot.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.

Last edited by sconix; 11/20/2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11/21/2010, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I (along with everyone else at Dev Day) now has a Pre2 on webOS 2.0, so if you need anyone to help test any of your patches, I would be more than happy to help!

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2010, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
I (along with everyone else at Dev Day) now has a Pre2 on webOS 2.0, so if you need anyone to help test any of your patches, I would be more than happy to help!
These patches are already ready and I am just waiting that I can get them into Preware feed. The package autobuilding is not yet fully setup for 2.0.0 patches, but should be withing day I guess. So please test them and report any problems when you see them in the feed.

I noticed that there is something odd with the gesture+tap in current 2.0 WebOS release so editing of the menus is currently bit difficult, but can be done. I hope that it is fixed in 2.0.1.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Thanked By: licotto
Old 11/22/2010, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Amazing work Sconix, can't wait to get these patches on my Pre 2. As for the gesture+tap issue, it looks like it is still apparent in 2.0.1 as it's still not working here

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
MechanicalMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2010, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMind View Post
Amazing work Sconix, can't wait to get these patches on my Pre 2. As for the gesture+tap issue, it looks like it is still apparent in 2.0.1 as it's still not working here

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
Yes I noticed that too that it still does not work properly in 2.0.1. I seem to get it done somehow by holding down on gesture area for couple seconds, then the gesture seems to "stay on" and tapping the menu area will bring the edit menu. Then I need to gesture+tap to get normal tap in the menu and then when done to backswipe to get the gesture+tap go away So there definitely is something not working as it should. I hope they are aware of it and will fix it soon.

Still waiting to get the feed for 2.0.x patches up, but hopefully this happens in day or two so people can start using these patches on Pre 2.
Old 11/22/2010, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Awesome work. This kind of support will make the transition to 2.0 much smoother.
Old 11/22/2010, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, gesture+tap in 2.0 isn't there. From what I'm seeing the old way of getting a key press event isn't there any more. It's something I've just added in to an app... only to find out it's gone in 2.0. If I can find another way (I've not started looking yet) I'll let you know Sconix.

Edit: If you press and hold on the gesture area until the light starts to ripple mouse events have the event.metaKey set to true - with or without keeping preasure on the gesture area. event.metaKey is then true in future mouse events until another gesture (up, back, forward etc.) is performed on the gesture area. That's just not right. I feel a bug report coming on!

Last edited by Norf; 11/22/2010 at 10:52 AM.
Norf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2010, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
I second that, and am happy to help test.

PM
Old 11/22/2010, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

What's this power menu of which you speak? Is there one available on a Sprint Pre? I'm a big fan of the menu patches!
Bazirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2010, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
What's this power menu of which you speak? Is there one available on a Sprint Pre? I'm a big fan of the menu patches!
I believe he is referring to the power menu that is called up when you hold the physical power button/screen lock down for a few seconds. Normally it gives the "Shutdown/Swap Battery" and "Restart" options, sconix's patch adds more options than just those.
Old 11/22/2010, 01:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcouth14 View Post
I believe he is referring to the power menu that is called up when you hold the physical power button/screen lock down for a few seconds. Normally it gives the "Shutdown/Swap Battery" and "Restart" options, sconix's patch adds more options than just those.
Ah, that would make sense and would be pretty cool. I have that patched on my Pre (minus), I think using one of Mr. Robitaille's patches. Definitely something that's worth having!
Bazirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2010, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
Ah, that would make sense and would be pretty cool. I have that patched on my Pre (minus), I think using one of Mr. Robitaille's patches. Definitely something that's worth having!
Yes the power menu means the menu that appears when holding down the power button. Current possible actions can be seen from this screenshot.
Old 11/22/2010, 01:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norf View Post
Yeah, gesture+tap in 2.0 isn't there. From what I'm seeing the old way of getting a key press event isn't there any more. It's something I've just added in to an app... only to find out it's gone in 2.0. If I can find another way (I've not started looking yet) I'll let you know Sconix.

Edit: If you press and hold on the gesture area until the light starts to ripple mouse events have the event.metaKey set to true - with or without keeping preasure on the gesture area. event.metaKey is then true in future mouse events until another gesture (up, back, forward etc.) is performed on the gesture area. That's just not right. I feel a bug report coming on!
Yes its not making a lot of sense how it works now. I hope its a bug and not that they removed the simple way to make gesture+tap. Or maybe its just now some different key in the event. If you find out more about this please let me know.
Old 11/22/2010, 01:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Later next week (due in part to traveling/family time for the upcoming holiday) I will post a majority of the wiki material for these patches then.

There is a little cleanup left on the outline and some readability changes/suggestions that will be incorporated as well.

I hope those that are able to use/test these patches can hold off for the wiki until then.
Thank you for your patience!

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
oakridge outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2010, 03:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
Later next week (due in part to traveling/family time for the upcoming holiday) I will post a majority of the wiki material for these patches then.

There is a little cleanup left on the outline and some readability changes/suggestions that will be incorporated as well.

I hope those that are able to use/test these patches can hold off for the wiki until then.
Thank you for your patience!
No hurry, I am sure people can manage until that. The old wiki should be a good information source until that. And almost only thing not mentioned in there is how to get to the power menu configuration. Which by the way can be accessed by first holding down the power button to get the power menu and then holding it again for couple seconds to get the configuration view. And when done configuring just backswipe to dismiss the menu.
Thanked by ashi, oakridge outdoors
Old 11/22/2010, 09:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Sconix, I'm curious. You mention in the device menu 2G and 3G. I'm assuming your work has been done using the 2.0 release to devs, so does this mean there is no 4G included with 2.0? ...Just a thought...
brandonp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2010, 11:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonp2 View Post
Sconix, I'm curious. You mention in the device menu 2G and 3G. I'm assuming your work has been done using the 2.0 release to devs, so does this mean there is no 4G included with 2.0? ...Just a thought...
There currently is no webOS device that supports 4g regardless of 2.0 coming out. Once/if the hardware has 4g, it'll be supported in the OS and in turn apps/patches.
oakridge outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2010, 09:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconix View Post
Yes the power menu means the menu that appears when holding down the power button. Current possible actions can be seen from this screenshot.
How do you edit the options on this menu?

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by crazybirdman, hakofux

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0