Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Is it possible to set up a mode based on being in my car?

I'm thinking maybe can GPS recogized I'm moving (faster than I walk/run), and trigger that way?

Have a spare touchstone that I'd like to mount in my car, but haven't yet, and have two other touchstones (work and home) that I do use.

Goal is to kick on bluetooth when in the car (handsfree law coming my way soon).

Am I going about it all wrong, or is it possible?

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I have a car mode but its based on music as well as bluetooth (for voice). I have a trigger for the Headphones/Mic so when I plug the aux cable into my Pre the Music app automatically opens and bluetooth is enabled.
    Nope, your not going about it all wrong.

MS has no positional awareness via the GPS so far as I know. That said it can react to the TS so you could mount one in the car and have the BT light up when it's on the TS.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    It is certainly feasible and easy to create a "car" mode which, once activated, will turn on blue tooth. You can manually activate the mode when you step in the car.

If you want automatic activation, then you will first need to define the unique conditions that lets your device know that it is in a car. Certainly it is not GPS speed alone, since there is nothing to distinguish you from being in a car but stuck in traffic jam, or riding on a bus, bicycle, or free-falling through space. You can have it trigger by being on touchstone, but you will need additional conditions to distinguish between car touchstone and home touchstones.
    Upside down touchstone?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I just leave the BT radio on and when it connects then it know's it is in the car.
    Dan
    Easiest thing to do would be to use your home Wifi as a reverse trigger.

So use something like "Disconnected From: Home Wifi SSID" and "Charging: Touchstone" as triggers.

You could also add in your Work wifi SSID if you have one (or any other SSID you routinely connect to), and as long as it's set to All Unique, it should work fine.

All that being said, there is currently a bug with WebOS where the Bluetooth radio (and other radios) can get 'stuck' when it's toggled, so I just leave mine on all the time. Sconix is working on a fix for this, but hasn't guaranteed anything.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Can't be going about it all wrong yet, I haven't even gone about it!

I can activate BT manually just as easily as MS, so yeah, I'm looking for automation. Leaving it (BT) on is a battery drain I'd rather avoid.

The headphones/mic jack could work, with a dummy jack.

Thought about conditions to distinguish between TS's (say GPS and TS, or wifi and TS for static locations, though this could get cumbersome very quickly). Also, for some reason both GPS and wifi triggers are sporadic with me. (Add to the mix that I'm probably setting up MS wrong...)

Like your idea tobias - never thought of negative condtion(s).

Frause may have it though - upside down TS is simple, and should work. And I really like simple. Just have to figure out where/how to mount the TS.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post

So use something like "Disconnected From: Home Wifi SSID" and "Charging: Touchstone" as triggers.
    I use to this method to trigger bluetooth in the car. My only problem is picking the phone off of the Touchstone shuts off bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlf View Post
    I use to this method to trigger bluetooth in the car. My only problem is picking the phone off of the Touchstone shuts off bluetooth.
    One thing you can do to avoid (at least for up to 60s) is to set the delay to 60s. Then you have a minute to put the phone back on the TS before the mode closes. I believe that's how I have my car mode set.
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    Upside down touchstone?
    I don't think that will give you the effect you're looking for, as it's the orientation of the phone in relation to gravitational field, not in relation to TS. (Or did you mean phone upside down on the TS?)

That being said, I use the orientation of the phone while on the TS to distinguish whether in the car or at home. For charging at home, I turn the phone on its left side to charge in silence. For charging at work, not silent, and running a slideshow, I put it on its right side. For charging in the car, it's right-side-up.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    Is it possible to set up a mode based on being in my car?

I'm thinking maybe can GPS recogized I'm moving (faster than I walk/run), and trigger that way?

Have a spare touchstone that I'd like to mount in my car, but haven't yet, and have two other touchstones (work and home) that I do use.

Goal is to kick on bluetooth when in the car (handsfree law coming my way soon).

Am I going about it all wrong, or is it possible?

Thanks in advance.
    I use bluetooth for pretty much all of my triggers. Just leave bluetooth on, and switch mode based on what you are paired with.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post

You could also add in your Work wifi SSID if you have one (or any other SSID you routinely connect to), and as long as it's set to All Unique, it should work fine.

All that being said, there is currently a bug with WebOS where the Bluetooth radio (and other radios) can get 'stuck' when it's toggled, so I just leave mine on all the time. Sconix is working on a fix for this, but hasn't guaranteed anything.
    Tobias I never thought about adding two disconnected from triggers. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts

Would timing be a factor? Not sure on the length of time from leaving the Home wifi and connecting to the car TS.
    The only timing depends on the delay you use for your Home mode's Wifi trigger. I have mine set to No Delay, although my network extends to around where I park. So I put my phone on the TS and the mode starts as soon as I am out of range of the wifi.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    I'd have to delay the disconnect from the wifi trigger, though a minute probably isn't gonna help me much. My car is outta range, so I'd be disconnected for a period of time before getting to the car TS. That, plus I'd have to remember to put my Pre on the charger pretty quickly.

Guess I could move my router.
    If you're not connected to a wifi network at any given moment, you're "Disconnected From" whatever SSID you set as far as the trigger is concerned.

You do not have to actively disconnect from the wifi at the "perfect time". Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    I actually wondered about that. Definitely helps.

So it's 'not currently connected to'. That opens up a lot more scenarios, and I think should work for me. Hope so, my 'home' mode is kinda buggy. Wifi keeps searching/trying to open, never finding anything. Though I probably set something wrong, based on a wrong assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlf View Post
    I set my default profile to leave Bluetooth/BT as is. This leaves BT on when I take it off the touchstone, then if I am going to leave my car I turn BT off. I use the touchstone trigger to turn on BT and launch Music Player remix 2.0. My BT stereo automatically hits play when it connects so I get in my car set it down and start driving. I couldn't figure a time period that would work to disable my BT because sometimes I need to search for a contact to dial and I don't leave it on the touchstone to do that. MA just passed a no TXT/Digital Communication and driving law but stopped before including handsfree. I use hands free because it is safer. I liked the idea of adding the WIFI trigger, but my car is within range of my home and work wireless.
    Hey everyone, I see this thread and realize it's close to what I need but I was wondering if anyone can create a mode for me that I can then import into Mode Switcher? I ask for help since I am trying to set the mode up in Mode Switcher but I'm not doing it exactly right and could use some help. Here is what I want:

I want to put my phone on a touchstone (yes, the Touchstone is in my car) that is connected via USB to a DC plug (the ones in the car). Can Mode Switcher detect the difference between DC and AC power?

Once it recognizes it's in a car (and not just sitting on a Touchstone since that would trigger this on my Touchstone at home and work), I want it to turn on GPS and Bluetooth. It then needs to turn on the Sprint Navigation App and a music program (which I will specify myself in Mode Switcher since I know how to do this).

I would want this all to be undone when it's lifted from the Touchstone, at which point it will return to the default profile.

If someone experienced in Mode Switcher would like to help set this up and send it to me that would be great, or walk me through it or talk to me about it more in depth, that would be a huge help!
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast