Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #401  
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    I don't seem to have the option to change the ringtone for message or call for a contact am i missing that somewhere?
    See the wiki for finding those settings..
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    I am definitely thinking of adding more per contact settings and this could be on, but these will not come very soon though, I have so many more important items in my TODO list.
    Thanks for considering this I look forward to seeing what comes out in the upcoming versions.

-Keith
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by btgoodlin View Post
    I dont know what it is, but after I installed this patch, my battery began to drain. I am at work and went to plug it into my computer to charge, and it is draining faster than the USB can charge. Not only that, but my computer won't recognize the Pre anymore when I plug it in.

Any ideas?

I've already uninstalled both the Advanced (system pref and launcher) fixes and my USB is still not being recognized. My phone is about to die. Should I try the webOS doctor and rez it?
    I just want to +1 this note. I had the same results. Battery drain jumped to 600 mah give or take (per Govnah) after installing the patch. Removed the patch and battery drain returned to a more normal 200 mah (again, give or take).

I did notice one oddity, when installing the patch, my screen brightness jumped to what seemed like Full Bright. I notice because I usually keep my screen brightness quite low. When checking the setting, the setting hadn't changed, but the result clearly was different.

My plan now is to EPR, then reinstall Advanced System Pref (along with my other patches) and see what my results are after that. I will update as things develop.
    My mA draw according to Govnah is bouncing between -114 to -250 running at 1 Ghz with ACSP installed.

Not sure how ACSP could be drawing more battery but my first guess would be an odd interaction with another patch you have installed, if it is related to ACSP at all.

What you've planned on doing already is probably the smartest thing to do at this point to solve your problem.
  5.    #405  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbroecker View Post
    I just want to +1 this note. I had the same results. Battery drain jumped to 600 mah give or take (per Govnah) after installing the patch. Removed the patch and battery drain returned to a more normal 200 mah (again, give or take).

I did notice one oddity, when installing the patch, my screen brightness jumped to what seemed like Full Bright. I notice because I usually keep my screen brightness quite low. When checking the setting, the setting hadn't changed, but the result clearly was different.

My plan now is to EPR, then reinstall Advanced System Pref (along with my other patches) and see what my results are after that. I will update as things develop.
    I have this faint memory that almost like I had read somewhere that the brightness to 5 patch was created since govnah or something else did not like lower screen brightness. So do you have set your screen brightness less than 5 (since this patch allows that)? Just an idea, I am using stock kernel so can't test or verify. Otherwise hard to think anything in this patch that could cause that.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I have this faint memory that almost like I had read somewhere that the brightness to 5 patch was created since govnah or something else did not like lower screen brightness. So do you have set your screen brightness less than 5 (since this patch allows that)? Just an idea, I am using stock kernel so can't test or verify. Otherwise hard to think anything in this patch that could cause that.
    I remembered that same thing, the screenstate governor doesn't trigger properly if the brightness is set too low, so I double checked my brightness settings. It didn't seem to make any difference.

I'll be trying a couple of things tonight to see if I can narrow this down.
  7.    #407  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbroecker View Post
    I remembered that same thing, the screenstate governor doesn't trigger properly if the brightness is set too low, so I double checked my brightness settings. It didn't seem to make any difference.

I'll be trying a couple of things tonight to see if I can narrow this down.
    Please let me know if you find the culprit. The /var/log/messages should be growing with fast pace if its really eating the battery like hell, since there could be lots of stuff written to that log if something keeps looping over and over again for example. So that might give a hint what app for example is causing the problem.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    My mA draw according to Govnah is bouncing between -114 to -250 running at 1 Ghz with ACSP installed.

Not sure how ACSP could be drawing more battery but my first guess would be an odd interaction with another patch you have installed, if it is related to ACSP at all.

What you've planned on doing already is probably the smartest thing to do at this point to solve your problem.
    Are you running Fixed 1GHZ? I'm running the Screenstate Governor.

My current patch set is pretty small, but I agree that this is probably an unanticipated interaction, otherwise everybody would be screaming

My patch list:
    ACAL
    Advanced Reset Options
    Battery Icon and Percent
    Bypass PIN
    Enable Landscape Email, Messageing, YouTube, PDF Viewer
    Launch Mode Switcher
    Muffle System Logging
    Smiley Faces in Symbol Box
    SMS Icon for Mobile Tagged Numbers (I'm suspicious about this one
    various System Menu patches by Sconix

As I told Sconix, I'm going to do some testing tonight and will report any findings.
    Wow.

The screenstate governor has not looked at or been affected by the screen brightness setting for some time now.

-- Rod
    I have SMS Icon for Mobile Tagged Numbers patch installed also. Doubt it is causing the problem.

And I am using the screenstate governor.

My understanding is also that the old "clock down at low brightness" has been fixed because the governor uses a different method to check for the screen off. I use minimum brightness 0 and run at 1 GHz with no issues.
    I might chime in here. I had a similar problem once with an entirely differnet patch. Battery drianed incrediblely fast and was worse when the phone was "off".

I found that the load on my phone spiked to over 30+ which is huge when compared to my norm of < 3.

Uninstalling the patch and reinstalling it seems to fix that issue.

I don't know if a patch install can get stuck, but that was my experience.

Screenshot:
    govnah_2010-02-09_190246 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
  13.    #413  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The screenstate governor has not looked at or been affected by the screen brightness setting for some time now.

-- Rod
    I actually suspected that this would be the case since I expected somebody would have already notified me that why I enable the 0 brightness thing
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    It is very easy to say that our suggested methods are not "the best", and that there are alternatives, but as far as we're concerned, this is the way we personally decided to go. If someone would like to create a master list of conflicting/problem patches and ask that it be added to the first post or the wiki, I'm sure it's something that could be done.
    Well...yeah, that's precisely what I was suggesting. And now it looks like it's already starting to be done.
    Heya Sconix.

First off, AMAZING, outstanding work. This is impressive, and I love the patches.

I am running into a couple of problems. I will do whatever I can to help troubleshoot them. All of them are in the messaging app.

1) I cannot get the settings for my SMS acct to stick. I keep going in and resetting it to play a ringtone when a message arrives, but no matter what I do, it keeps reverting back to vibration only.

2) I am getting what I have come to term "Phantom Alerts", again only in the messaging app. Essentially, my Pre will vibrate to alert me to a text message, but there is no message, and I'm not missing any. There were no unread messages, but I disabled the repeat notification nonetheless, but that did not affect the situation.

Please advise.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
  16.    #416  
    Quote Originally Posted by rykatemom View Post
    Heya Sconix.

First off, AMAZING, outstanding work. This is impressive, and I love the patches.

I am running into a couple of problems. I will do whatever I can to help troubleshoot them. All of them are in the messaging app.

1) I cannot get the settings for my SMS acct to stick. I keep going in and resetting it to play a ringtone when a message arrives, but no matter what I do, it keeps reverting back to vibration only.

2) I am getting what I have come to term "Phantom Alerts", again only in the messaging app. Essentially, my Pre will vibrate to alert me to a text message, but there is no message, and I'm not missing any. There were no unread messages, but I disabled the repeat notification nonetheless, but that did not affect the situation.

Please advise.
    1) This one is weird since the ringtone/vibrate setting is stored by the "original" code the patch only moves the configuration place. I guess you have tried restarting phone or luna? If yes then if you want more help you could open the msg preferences change it to ringtone then go back and open it again and if its still switched back to vibrate you could retrieve the /var/log/messages file from the phone for example by using internals and send it to me so I could have a look if the fault is seen in the log. Or try to find the reason some other way. I can not produce this so hard to say if its the patch or something else.

2) The repeat notification has a bug that is fixed in next release. In some situations the repeat is left on. Disabling repeat and restarting phone or luna should get rid of the ghost alert for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Well...yeah, that's precisely what I was suggesting. And now it looks like it's already starting to be done.
    I quoted you in my post, but it wasn't directed solely to you. I possibly should have clarified that so you didn't feel singled out.

In reality it was directed to everyone in this thread (and many many other threads on PreCentral) who find it very easy to "suggest things that should be done" without actually "doing it".

And I'm not sure what you mean by already starting to be done. I don't see any changes to the wiki to include a list of conflicting patches. I remember a couple potential lists posted in this thread, but those were posted before your suggestion. Sconix has agreed to possibly put a compiled list in the first post, but neither he nor oakridgeoutdoors nor I have any plans to monitor or maintain such a list, so it will have to be up to someone else.

Maybe even you, if you feel like making such a contribution
    Heya Sconix.

Please advise.
    That first problem is the sa,e thing that's happening to me. I posted the problem earliar in the thread, but I didn't know it was reverting back to vibrate only. Only my chat programs are affected though. The ringtone for SMS is working as advertised.
    Charles
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Heya Sconix.

Please advise.
    I'm experiencing this a lot, too. My phone will just vibrate repeatedly even if there's no message.

Also, since installing ACSP, I get a secondary vibration every time I receive an SMS -- like "bzzzzzt. bzzt." as opposed to a single "bzzzzzt." (I hope that's descriptive enough, haha.) This I don't mind as much, though it caught me off guard the first day -- I kept thinking I was missing calls! :P

That aside, great work! Fantastic patch.
  20.    #420  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrronimo View Post
    I'm experiencing this a lot, too. My phone will just vibrate repeatedly even if there's no message.

Also, since installing ACSP, I get a secondary vibration every time I receive an SMS -- like "bzzzzzt. bzzt." as opposed to a single "bzzzzzt." (I hope that's descriptive enough, haha.) This I don't mind as much, though it caught me off guard the first day -- I kept thinking I was missing calls! :P

That aside, great work! Fantastic patch.
    The double vibrate is fixed in next release.