Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 1313
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Vij
    Vij is offline
    Vij's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #381  
    After waiting until I had an afternoon free, I bit the bullet. EPR'd my Pre, installed the 2 Advanced Configuration patches and the System Menus patches, then selectively added back my other patches.

    All I can say is WOW.

    Actually I can do more. Donation coming!
  2. Analog's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    #382  
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    So anyone's best bet is to follow the steps on the wiki. Therefore, adding a list to the OP or even the wiki would not be needed.
    An alternative argument could be made that compiling and maintaining a list of patches that conflict with ACSP would make the current scorched-earth technique unnecessary. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I guess...although I can't help noticing that users currently have to rely on trial and error to figure out which patches can be reinstalled *after* the EPR and installation of ACSP. A list of incompatible patches, compiled and maintained by the community of users, would surely make the process easier even to users who follow the instructions in the wiki, no?
  3. #383  
    ORIGINAL post of mine:
    Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    O.K., I followed the instructions on the Wiki. I apparently have two packages that won't install etc.

    I get these two listing in RED (the rest are GREEN or BLACK):

    2 out of 6 hunks FAILED--saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$

    And

    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED--saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/views/preflist/preflist-scene.html.rej

    What patches should I delete? Looking through my patch list, it isn't clear.

    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    as was recommended, and as I found to be a lot easier, use EPR to remove all patches, make sure you have preware save your installed packages list, install the patch, then you can install your previous patches, any patch that fails to install is one that clashes with the advance config patch
    As I indicated in the original post listed above, I followed the instructions in the Wiki so, yes, I did as you say and, therefore, it's recommended you read a bit more carefully.

    Anyway, I was able to figure out the problem. When reading the results of the installation attempt, I was only paying attention to the RED sentences, not the BLACK sentence just above it where the name of the offending patch can be found. (That's because I've often seen people refer to the red sentences as what we should look for etc.) A careful reading of the error messages I posted would likely have led an expert to see my error.

    All is well now that I've deleted each conflicting patch. Time consuming, yes, but well worth it for this great patch! Thanks Sconix!

    I would like to suggest that the Wiki or first page indicate how to read the error messages to determine which patch is creating the conflict. As you can see, those of us who don't have the expertise in reading those types of things can easily go astray.
  4. #384  
    Is there a quicker way to clear our known wifi spots? I don't even think i'll be able to visit any of my past wifi spots.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  5.    #385  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Is there a quicker way to clear our known wifi spots? I don't even think i'll be able to visit any of my past wifi spots.
    No This is the reason why this feature was added since it is a bit stupid that you can not forget a network nor you can see what networks you have configured if you are not in the reach of the network .
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  6.    #386  
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    An alternative argument could be made that compiling and maintaining a list of patches that conflict with ACSP would make the current scorched-earth technique unnecessary. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I guess...although I can't help noticing that users currently have to rely on trial and error to figure out which patches can be reinstalled *after* the EPR and installation of ACSP. A list of incompatible patches, compiled and maintained by the community of users, would surely make the process easier even to users who follow the instructions in the wiki, no?
    Yes maintaining list would be easy and better, but nobody has provided the list yet. If someone will provide a verified list it can be placed on the wiki or what is even better that people update the wiki by themself regarding conflicting patches. If I were to do the list it would take huge amount of my time to go through all patches.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  7. #387  
    @Pre in MN
    Here is how I read the patch install messages:

    Download (start of each patch install)
    *Identify (gives the patch name)
    Install
    Mkdir-Prerm
    Install-Prerm
    *Postinst (red error message shows here)
    Remove
    Delete
    Failed
    (if no error, Postinst I'd followed dirrectly by Completed)

    The *.rej file allows a dev to see where in the code the conflict actually happens which is why it is useful. Identifying the patch in found above inthe black text (as you mentioned) or in the Identify section.
  8. #388  
    If we are beginning a list, here are my few rejects:

    org.webosinternals.patches.phone-open-to-call-log

    org.webosinternals.patches.sounds-and-alerts-select-alert-and-notification-tones

    org.webosinternals.patches.screen-lock-standby-times-deluxe

    org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-timestamps-fancy

    The last was my only "surprise". Easily replaced w the Timestamps Clean patch (which look/works better anyway IMHO).

    Edti: Please note that any patches installed outside of Preware will make the install after EPR hang at Download.

    Be sure you have backups of these (email or something) and delete them from the saved package list before re-installing all. They are easily id'd as they will appear with the generic box icon.
  9. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #389  
    Sconix, just installed this yesterday.

    Between this patch and the advanced launcher configuration. Wow, blows me away. This is just amazing work.
    Dan
  10. #390  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    ORIGINAL post of mine:
    Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    O.K., I followed the instructions on the Wiki. I apparently have two packages that won't install etc.

    I get these two listing in RED (the rest are GREEN or BLACK):

    2 out of 6 hunks FAILED--saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$

    And

    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED--saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/views/preflist/preflist-scene.html.rej

    What patches should I delete? Looking through my patch list, it isn't clear.

    Thanks!




    As I indicated in the original post listed above, I followed the instructions in the Wiki so, yes, I did as you say and, therefore, it's recommended you read a bit more carefully.

    Anyway, I was able to figure out the problem. When reading the results of the installation attempt, I was only paying attention to the RED sentences, not the BLACK sentence just above it where the name of the offending patch can be found. (That's because I've often seen people refer to the red sentences as what we should look for etc.) A careful reading of the error messages I posted would likely have led an expert to see my error.

    All is well now that I've deleted each conflicting patch. Time consuming, yes, but well worth it for this great patch! Thanks Sconix!

    I would like to suggest that the Wiki or first page indicate how to read the error messages to determine which patch is creating the conflict. As you can see, those of us who don't have the expertise in reading those types of things can easily go astray.
    you have a phone preferences patch conflicting is what I see.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11. #391  
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Its not the wording that causes problems its that for every language there is different html files and my patch only modifies the default one so for other languages the file is not updated and hence it causes problems. And the reason why I don't want to release the international version before this stabilizes a bit is that then I would need to do the changes to many html files when I fix/change something instead of just one. So this speeds up the process to get the patch fully ready. After that which hopefully is within week or two at the most I will release the international version.
    Fully understandable. Thank you for the insight. I'll just keep the US locale now, as it doesn't differ from UK and I despise German traslations of technical English terms (anyone who ever used German Photoshop will agree with me on this )
    'til we meet again.
    THL
  12. #392  
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    An alternative argument could be made that compiling and maintaining a list of patches that conflict with ACSP would make the current scorched-earth technique unnecessary. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I guess...although I can't help noticing that users currently have to rely on trial and error to figure out which patches can be reinstalled *after* the EPR and installation of ACSP. A list of incompatible patches, compiled and maintained by the community of users, would surely make the process easier even to users who follow the instructions in the wiki, no?
    I'd like to explain a few things in response to this post:

    1. Sconix spends a great deal of time on coding these patches and trying to support them. More time than anyone realizes, I'm sure.

    2. Sconix has never asked anyone to help him with supporting MS or any of his patches. Dustin and I volunteered to help because we know what kind of effort it takes to support such complicated and robust products, and the last thing either of us want to see is one of WebOS' most prolific and impressive developers "closing up shop" because the demands of supporting his work have become too great. I have a feeling most of the community feels the same way.

    3. We discussed the appropriate way to support this patch, and taking much of what we learned from the release of ACAL, decided to go with this method of recommending EPR before installation for the sake of the users, and for the sake of the developer. This patch touches so many areas, and people have so many patches (including many that are not available in Preware and have been installed manually by users), that it really is the only sensible recommendation if users want an easy method to install the patch with the least amount of errors.

    4. Last, but not least, nothing is stopping anyone from doing the same thing oakridgeoutdoors and I have done, which is volunteer our time to help sconix support his great works. In fact, when we started, we never even asked sconix if he needed our help... we just started helping.

    It is very easy to say that our suggested methods are not "the best", and that there are alternatives, but as far as we're concerned, this is the way we personally decided to go. If someone would like to create a master list of conflicting/problem patches and ask that it be added to the first post or the wiki, I'm sure it's something that could be done. In fact, wikis by definition are able to be edited by anyone, meaning technically our permission isn't even required to update it with necessary information.

    I feel like sconix deserves as much help as he can get from the community, because he has given the community a great deal of help in the form of his work, and every single thing he has produced so far is available for free.
  13. #393  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    I have the latest version of ACSP, and there are no visible options for the power button to control ending phone calls. So I am a little confused.

    I only had the error you are describing when I had a separate patch installed to end calls with the power button. I removed it and it fixed the problem. Sconix is adding power button functionality to the patch, but as far as I can tell, it is not available yet. If it is, hopefully you will tell me where to find it.
    Yeah...it fixed it for me too!
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  14. #394  
    I have a feature request that I couldn't find listed anywhere in the thread. Is it possible to make it so that the repeating notification settings can be set on a contact-level? There are some contacts that I really don't want to miss messages from, but others (like SMSs from Twitter) are not really a priority. Thanks for the great patch!!

    -Keith
  15. #395  
    AWESOME patch, truly integrating many prior and some new features. One minor incompatibility point re: an essential patch, "Message Signature," which adds a predefined sig to every outgoing SMS/MMS. Here's the error log:

    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-message-signature.postinst 2>&1
    2 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/prefsAccountSummary-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$

    Many thanks in advance for any help in achieving compatibility or encorporating this feature...
  16. #396  
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    No This is the reason why this feature was added since it is a bit stupid that you can not forget a network nor you can see what networks you have configured if you are not in the reach of the network .
    I guess I'm confused then because I deleted my home network and added it back but now I don't see the option for my home network. Will it only work once ALL my remembered networks are forgotten? which is only doable with a Doctor of OS since I won't visit some old places. Just don't see how this very useful feature will be utilized. Sorry, just frustrated. would love to see the feature in use.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  17.    #397  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmlewis View Post
    AWESOME patch, truly integrating many prior and some new features. One minor incompatibility point re: an essential patch, "Message Signature," which adds a predefined sig to every outgoing SMS/MMS. Here's the error log:

    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-message-signature.postinst 2>&1
    2 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/prefsAccountSummary-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$

    Many thanks in advance for any help in achieving compatibility or encorporating this feature...
    If you look into the wiki and upcoming release info you see that this feature is included in next release
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  18. pchrist's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #398  
    I don't seem to have the option to change the ringtone for message or call for a contact am i missing that somewhere?
  19.    #399  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    I guess I'm confused then because I deleted my home network and added it back but now I don't see the option for my home network. Will it only work once ALL my remembered networks are forgotten? which is only doable with a Doctor of OS since I won't visit some old places. Just don't see how this very useful feature will be utilized. Sorry, just frustrated. would love to see the feature in use.
    If you have reconfigured the network it should show up in the list of networks even when out of reach with out the signal / lock icons. Only the network name. So it wont need for all networks to be reset. If the network is within the reach then you see the network normally in the list.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  20.    #400  
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardsonke View Post
    I have a feature request that I couldn't find listed anywhere in the thread. Is it possible to make it so that the repeating notification settings can be set on a contact-level? There are some contacts that I really don't want to miss messages from, but others (like SMSs from Twitter) are not really a priority. Thanks for the great patch!!

    -Keith
    I am definitely thinking of adding more per contact settings and this could be on, but these will not come very soon though, I have so many more important items in my TODO list.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.

Posting Permissions