08/24/2010, 05:08 AM
Mode Switcher brings profile support to WebOS in the form of "modes" that can control nearly every available setting on the Palm Pre/Pixi. Currently, MS can control:
- IM status
- All Volume Controls
- All Ringtones
- Display (brightness, timeout, LED/banner notifications)
- Touchstone Screen On/Off
- All Radios (Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS/Data/Phone)
- Open/Close Applications
- Network Type
- Roaming (Forced, Automatic)
These modes can be activated manually, or triggered automatically by a number of different methods:
- Time of Day
- Charger (touchstone, USB or wall charger can be set separately)
- Touchstone Orientation
- GPS Location
- Battery Level
- Bluetooth (by Profile or Device Name)
- Application Focus
- Calendar Event
- Headset Connection
- Wifi SSID
- Silent Switch
- Display state
To give you an idea of what you can use this app for, here are some popular modes:
- Triggers: Time of Day (11:30 PM - 8:30 AM), Charger (Touchstone, orientation Left)
- Actions: Brightness (0%), Ringer Volume (25%), Launch Application (Timepiece)
- Triggers: Wifi SSID (Home)
- Actions: Data (Off), GPS (Off), Brightness (25%)
- Triggers: Application Focus (pReader)
- Actions: Screen Timeout (5 minutes), Screen On Charger (Always On)
- The Mode Switcher Wiki contains full instructions for installing Mode Switcher and its related patches.
- Release notes, known bugs, and upcoming features are also included.
- The Mode Switcher Manual is regularly updated documentation for using Mode Switcher and its related patches.
- Link to download the manual in PDF format is also included on that page.
- System Menu Mode Menu - Adds a system menu to the top bar where the carrier string is located. This will show which mode is currently active, and allow the user to manually change the current mode. The menu has an "edit mode" to configure which modes are shown.
- Requires 'System Menu Initial Framework' patch
- Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot - Starts Mode Switcher on background when Luna System Manager is started.
- Works only on Pre (Pixi does not support background applications).
Installation / Usage FAQ:
Q: I’m getting this error when I try to install Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot patch:
“1 of 1 hunk failed -- saving rejects to file etc/palm/luna.conf.rej”
A: The patch “Launch Brightness Unlinked on Luna Boot” conflicts with Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot patch and must be removed.
Q: Can I close / get rid of the Mode Switcher dashboard icon?
A: If you are on Pixi then no, the dashboard scene needs to be active for Mode Switcher to function. For Pre install the Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot patch to get rid of the dashboard.
Donations are highly appreciated since Mode Switcher has taken a huge amount of my time to get to this point. If you want to help by creating translation for Mode Switcher then please contact me privately so I can send you the translation file.