webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Enlightened Linux Solutions > [App] Mode Switcher 1.x
[App] Mode Switcher 1.x
Like Tree2Likes

Old 08/24/2010, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mode Switcher 1.x

Wiki - Manual - Precentral
Current version: 1.0.9

Mode Switcher brings profile support to WebOS in the form of "modes" that can control nearly every available setting on the Palm Pre/Pixi. Currently, MS can control:
  • Wallpaper
  • IM status
  • All Volume Controls
  • All Ringtones
  • Display (brightness, timeout, LED/banner notifications)
  • Touchstone Screen On/Off
  • All Radios (Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS/Data/Phone)
  • Open/Close Applications
  • Network Type
  • Roaming (Forced, Automatic)

These modes can be activated manually, or triggered automatically by a number of different methods:
  • Time of Day
  • Charger (touchstone, USB or wall charger can be set separately)
  • Touchstone Orientation
  • GPS Location
  • Battery Level
  • Bluetooth (by Profile or Device Name)
  • Application Focus
  • Calendar Event
  • Headset Connection
  • Wifi SSID
  • Silent Switch
  • Display state

To give you an idea of what you can use this app for, here are some popular modes:
Night Mode
  • Triggers: Time of Day (11:30 PM - 8:30 AM), Charger (Touchstone, orientation Left)
  • Actions: Brightness (0%), Ringer Volume (25%), Launch Application (Timepiece)
Home Mode
  • Triggers: Wifi SSID (Home)
  • Actions: Data (Off), GPS (Off), Brightness (25%)
Reading
  • Triggers: Application Focus (pReader)
  • Actions: Screen Timeout (5 minutes), Screen On Charger (Always On)

Installation:
  • The Mode Switcher Wiki contains full instructions for installing Mode Switcher and its related patches.
    - Release notes, known bugs, and upcoming features are also included.

Usage:
  • The Mode Switcher Manual is regularly updated documentation for using Mode Switcher and its related patches.
    - Link to download the manual in PDF format is also included on that page.

Related Patches:

* Please direct all patch-related comments/bug-reports to the Official Patch Thread.*
  • System Menu Mode Menu - Adds a system menu to the top bar where the carrier string is located. This will show which mode is currently active, and allow the user to manually change the current mode. The menu has an "edit mode" to configure which modes are shown.
    - Requires 'System Menu Initial Framework' patch

• Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot - Starts Mode Switcher on background when Luna System Manager is started.
    - Works only on Pre (Pixi does not support background applications).

Installation / Usage FAQ:

Q: I’m getting this error when I try to install Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot patch:
“1 of 1 hunk failed -- saving rejects to file etc/palm/luna.conf.rej”

A: The patch “Launch Brightness Unlinked on Luna Boot” conflicts with Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot patch and must be removed.

Q: Can I close / get rid of the Mode Switcher dashboard icon?

A: If you are on Pixi then no, the dashboard scene needs to be active for Mode Switcher to function. For Pre install the Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot patch to get rid of the dashboard.

Supporting development:

Donations are highly appreciated since Mode Switcher has taken a huge amount of my time to get to this point. If you want to help by creating translation for Mode Switcher then please contact me privately so I can send you the translation file.

Last edited by sconix; 04/03/2011 at 04:52 AM.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ashi and jmelex like this.
Old 08/24/2010, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Only sconix knows the hours he spended developing and answering in forums. Only I know the time thats sconix's Mode Switcher and patchs saves me. How much your time cost for you?
Celebrating Mode Switcher 1.x I am joining to oakridge outdoors Donationthon with 25€. Thank you very much sconix!
CptOx is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sconix
Old 08/24/2010, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Congrats Sconix...This is a must have app for every user.. Watching the app grow for months been a pleasure... MS. Is the only reason I still been keeping the phone.. Great work!

Edit: Application focus trigger? Wow I didn't even know it was in the last update. I thought it wasn't possible.. Donating right after payday!

Last edited by OneDeep; 08/24/2010 at 06:42 AM.
One_Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats from me as well Sconix.
Very nice try!!!
geovass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Developer

Congratulations on the 1.0.0 release.

Mode Switcher is one of those applications that forms the basis of an infrastructure of innovation and functionality (much like Preware and Save/Restore) - it is architected well, it is power-efficient, and it is robust and flexible.

From the same author comes the state of the art in webOS patches for top bar and launcher functionality.

I have donated 10 Euro, and encourage others to do the same.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Congats on the release! This is a "must-have" app for the webOS community.

Suggestion: include some of the the actual "sample" profiles with the app. This way new users can get an idea just how powerful and helpful Mode Switcher is right "out of the box", and then, they can adjust the sample profiles to suit them, or create new ones altogether.

...and, I like how the carrier string, changes color to yellow when triggers are deactivated... how about an option to have that color be green when the triggers are active?

Again, congrats, and I hope you make a "boat-load" of cash for all your hard work.
ToddK is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Stlsports
Old 08/24/2010, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Excellent. It is amazing that the stock Pre gives so little in the way of personal settings but this looks like a really good way of going beyond what you would have expected out of the box.
jumpedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

AWESOME!!! This is what I`ve been waiting for! Thanks!
mgmft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
Congats on the release! This is a "must-have" app for the webOS community.

Suggestion: include some of the the actual "sample" profiles with the app. This way new users can get an idea just how powerful and helpful Mode Switcher is right "out of the box", and then, they can adjust the sample profiles to suit them, or create new ones altogether.

...and, I like how the carrier string, changes color to yellow when triggers are deactivated... how about an option to have that color be green when the triggers are active?

Again, congrats, and I hope you make a "boat-load" of cash for all your hard work.
The sample profiles will definitely come at some point. Most likely when I get to the point of adding user friendly UI. The current is just meant to give access to every single feature that the core functionality provides even the ones that does not necessary make sense.

The configuration for color is a bit more complicated since that part is for the patch and adding lots of configuration for the patch would need a completely separate configuration interface.

If Palm does not open up few more API's its hard to make cash with this, but thats not the main motivation here. Of course I hope to have at least that much donations that if my Pre happens to brake I can have a new one so the development can continue
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Old 08/24/2010, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Congratulations on the 1.0.0 release.

Mode Switcher is one of those applications that forms the basis of an infrastructure of innovation and functionality (much like Preware and Save/Restore) - it is architected well, it is power-efficient, and it is robust and flexible.

From the same author comes the state of the art in webOS patches for top bar and launcher functionality.

I have donated 10 Euro, and encourage others to do the same.

-- Rod
Well put Rod!
It was cool to see you tweet about MS as well!

Time for that front page story, hell, let's see Sconix on the Podcast! Great App, great patches!

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
oakridge outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

The Mode Switcher Wiki has been updated to reflect some of the recent changes with MS going to 1.0.x.

More slight changes on the way as things progress!

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
oakridge outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Mother of god...
veelo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 11:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

I really hope Palm opens up some of these APIs so this incredibly versatile app can be released to the masses. I think many webOS users out there would love to have this type of functionality and not everybody knows (or uses) homebrew.

Twitter: @Hedami
DanPLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Sconix, thanks for all your hard work. I just donated. I'm looking forward to your next webOS project!
Speebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
I really hope Palm opens up some of these APIs so this incredibly versatile app can be released to the masses. I think many webOS users out there would love to have this type of functionality and not everybody knows (or uses) homebrew.
Thats true and what I hope for. Even opening the APIs that much that I could release stripped down version for example just to set night stand mode would be something that many would want, I think.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Old 08/24/2010, 11:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Wow... um.. there are so many options, ha. Time to start digging. I don't need anything complicated, just something I can quickly switch Wifi and bluetooth in one swoop.
linh.nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

All I can say is wow. What a fantastic app. One thing I would love would be when using the screen state trigger, not to have a delay of any sort. The shortest delay right now is 15 seconds.

But seriously, great app.
JimboJones2268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 12:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

I only see 1.0.3 in Preware. Where is version 1.0.4? I have updated my feeds and I have the testing feed also.
DarkEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 12:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have not used this app so far but based on what I am reading it seems like this is a must have. Hoping to be as impressed as everyone else.
Just one thing, why is it that the version available for download thru preware is version 1.0.3, whereas it states "Current version: 1.0.4" in the first post.

Edit: Oops! Posted without refreshing the thread first, thus did not see DarkEye's post.
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 12:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

When I look at HELP for MS it say 0.9.100. I tried uninstall/reinstalling, but cant seem to get version 1.0.x.

Device Info also says 0.9.100.

I am running a Pre+ with 1.4.2 if that makes any difference.

thanks
Scott

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0