Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125257585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1246
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1221  
    Quote Originally Posted by cstray View Post
    Can someone tell me how to use the MS function to prevent a mode from launching? I've got a 'work' mode setup to trigger when the ringer switch is in mute and the time is between a certain range. But for whatever reason, when the phone is idle, sometimes it'll kick into work mode anyways even though the phone isn't muted. Very annoying, trying to prevent it from activating in certain modes.

Currently using 1.1.0 on a ATT pre plus running 1.4.5. I've tried it with triggers on "any group" and on "all unique," still happens.

While I'm at it, I'm looking to see if anyone has any good ideas on the best way to stay in a wifi-triggered mode while idle. Phone tends to forget the network, then close the apps..yes it switches back again when i wake the phone up, but somtimes it takes a while, and it always seems to happen while I'm trying to do something else on the phone (would be nice if apps could load in the background...oh well).
    With MS 1.x your options are bit limited. You can use the block option possibly in your other modes to prevent the mode from starting, but other that I don't know how you could make it better. MS 2.x would have plenty of other means to tackle this but unfortunately not the 1.x.

Are you sure you have keep wifi on while sleep set? At least wifi should not drop on sleep. Yes it would be nice if there would be means to control apps starting / closing better but thats not the case with webOS at the moment.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    As of the last three days, I can no longer import or export to Google. I keep getting the message:

Unable to Upload!

Upload request to Google Docs failed, please try again later.

Other application on my Palm Pre 2 are working fine with Google.

I am on Mode Switcher 2.5.2 with webos 2.1.0 Verizon.
    While Mode Switcher is by far my #1 patch, I am having an issue with email from ATT, 3G or edge.

The problem was masked for a long time, as I get emails thru my home wireless. When away from home, I don't get emails. When I try to send myself an email away from home, a notification says "Unable to sign in".

To isolate the problem, I used Doctor to reload the OS, setup email, and indeed everything works even email away from home. When I install MS, I have the problem, with MS on or off.

In the case of sending an email, is there a setting affecting the outgoing process? Is there default settings that I may have wrongly configured?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
  4.    #1224  
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_buchanan View Post
    While Mode Switcher is by far my #1 patch, I am having an issue with email from ATT, 3G or edge.

The problem was masked for a long time, as I get emails thru my home wireless. When away from home, I don't get emails. When I try to send myself an email away from home, a notification says "Unable to sign in".

To isolate the problem, I used Doctor to reload the OS, setup email, and indeed everything works even email away from home. When I install MS, I have the problem, with MS on or off.

In the case of sending an email, is there a setting affecting the outgoing process? Is there default settings that I may have wrongly configured?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    I can no say about the email settings, you can edit the account settings sure, but what effects what and could have caused your problem I have no idea. At least MS won't edit those settings.

You are not really descriptive what the problem with MS is.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    I can no say about the email settings, you can edit the account settings sure, but what effects what and could have caused your problem I have no idea. At least MS won't edit those settings.

You are not really descriptive what the problem with MS is.
    Thank you, for your reply.

As a non-programmer type, I am trying my best... I am making the point that when MS is installed, I have the problem. The problem being, no email over the ATT network. Wireless G at home, yes; ATT OTA, no.

As MS controls so many communications in its default mode, I was wondering if their was a particular control that was set wrong that would knock out ATT email, particularly outgoing emails.

One more data point, Just walking out of range off the home router, I do get internet over ATT 3G.

I've gone over the email settings with ATT, after clean 1.45 WebOS re-install, email works at home, or ATT OTA perfectly. Install MS, and I lose 3G email.

Thanks, for your attention to this.
  6.    #1226  
    Thank you, for your reply.

As a non-programmer type, I am trying my best... I am making the point that when MS is installed, I have the problem. The problem being, no email over the ATT network. Wireless G at home, yes; ATT OTA, no.

As MS controls so many communications in its default mode, I was wondering if their was a particular control that was set wrong that would knock out ATT email, particularly outgoing emails.

One more data point, Just walking out of range off the home router, I do get internet over ATT 3G.

I've gone over the email settings with ATT, after clean 1.45 WebOS re-install, email works at home, or ATT OTA perfectly. Install MS, and I lose 3G email.

Thanks, for your attention to this.
    Sorry I miss read your email first, now I got it that when MS is installed you have the problem. Well nobody has never reported such problem so its something in your setup most likely. I am not supporting 1.4.5 anymore since I don't have such devices to test MS with.

But I can say that when MS is disabled its like its not installed, but you need to reboot after turning MS off to get the system into the state of having zero MS effect. If it works after restart when MS was set to off before restarting then your problem is most likely some weird webOS bug. In this case just leave out all 3G / network type / email related settings from all of your modes. Then MS wont never touch those settings and they wont get messed up. Then you can try adding them back one by one and see when it breaks.
    But I can say that when MS is disabled its like its not installed, but you need to reboot after turning MS off to get the system into the state of having zero MS effect. If it works after restart when MS was set to off before restarting then your problem is most likely some weird webOS bug. In this case just leave out all 3G / network type / email related settings from all of your modes. Then MS wont never touch those settings and they wont get messed up. Then you can try adding them back one by one and see when it breaks.
    OK, now we're getting somewhere!
    I turned off MS and restarted; email works on 3G. I turn on MS, no 3G email.

So, in the MS Default mode settings for Network, instead of "auto", I chose "Do Not Set". That made the difference. I now have ATT 3G email.

Thanks, for the trouble shooting logic. Don't know what the "auto" does in this case but I'm glad I finally have it working.
    OK, now we're getting somewhere!
    That didn't last long...lost my email, again. Back to the drawing board.
  9.    #1229  
    That didn't last long...lost my email, again. Back to the drawing board.
    Did you set the network setting to do not set/default in all of your modes? Its very likely that its the problem.
    Did you set the network setting to do not set/default in all of your modes? Its very likely that its the problem.
    Yes. Something is going on...

I've reloaded 1.4.5 again with the Doctor on the HP website. I setup my roadrunner email and it works, except I do not receive emails from myself (roadrunner account). I receive all others. Nothing else is loaded at this point, no WiFi, no MS nothing.

I'm thinking step #2 should be to turn on WiFi on the Pre to see the 2 access points in my house, and verify email over 3G down the street.

Then step #3 to install MS.

When a WiFi connection is on, will the Pre Plus default to WiFi for email/web/downloads, or use the 3G radio? If it defaults to WiFi, then I don't have to use any network settings in MS, right?
    I'm thinking step #2 should be to turn on WiFi on the Pre to see the 2 access points in my house, and verify email over 3G down the street.
    Deal Breaker.

Sconix, you could be off the hook. MS never loaded. Doctor 1.4.5 reload, email OK, enable WiFi and loose email.

Service exchange... To be continued...
    So to follow-up on my WiFi and email problem, after a service exchange Pre Plus...

I've been lead to believe my Roadrunner email account is to blame for inconsistent email delivery.

At home with WiFi signal, I receive and can send all emails, but out of the house, when WiFi is on but with no signal (and a 3G data on) I don't get emails and I can't send myself an email. There seems to be a conflict between the WiFi signal and the 3G radio.

Using Mode Switcher, I have WiFi on all the time so I can detect the WiFi signal at home to trip a mode in MS. But with the WiFi radio on along with the 3G data radio, I get the email problems. Is there a trigger I could use to turn WiFi on at home and off away from home? The GPS doesn't seem to be too sensitive.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Trying to install Mode Switcher on my FrankenPre2 on Sprint. Got the Unknown Service Error message, so I entered the 2 commands in Xecutah terminal per the wiki. The first command seemed to be accepted, as it immediately returned to the . . ./root# command prompt. I then entered the 2nd command, and received the following message:
    "cp: can't create 'scan-services/org.webosinternals.modeswitcher.srv.service': No such file or directory
    cp: can't stat '/var/palm/ls2/services/pub/ls-control': No such file or directory"

Please advise.
    TIA
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  14.    #1234  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Trying to install Mode Switcher on my FrankenPre2 on Sprint. Got the Unknown Service Error message, so I entered the 2 commands in Xecutah terminal per the wiki. The first command seemed to be accepted, as it immediately returned to the . . ./root# command prompt. I then entered the 2nd command, and received the following message:
    "cp: can't create 'scan-services/org.webosinternals.modeswitcher.srv.service': No such file or directory
    cp: can't stat '/var/palm/ls2/services/pub/ls-control': No such file or directory"

Please advise.
    TIA
    There's 3 command not 2. You seem to have typed the two commands on same line...
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I was confused by these instructions just above the box containing the commands:
    You can complete the installation by entering the two following commands in a terminal (either over ssh/novaterm connection or in terminal application in the phone).

Given that there was no space between the last "/" on the 2nd line, I assumed it continued on the 3rd line.

When I entered the 2nd line, there was no response, and I got the root# prompt, so I entered the 3rd line as a separate command. Then, it said,
    "Current tether status: disabled
    telling hub to rescan for dynamic services"
    and then another root# prompt appeared

I then went to try opening Mode Switcher again, and got the Unknown Service Error message again.

What am I not getting?
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  16.    #1236  
    I was confused by these instructions just above the box containing the commands:
    You can complete the installation by entering the two following commands in a terminal (either over ssh/novaterm connection or in terminal application in the phone).

Given that there was no space between the last "/" on the 2nd line, I assumed it continued on the 3rd line.

When I entered the 2nd line, there was no response, and I got the root# prompt, so I entered the 3rd line as a separate command. Then, it said,
    "Current tether status: disabled
    telling hub to rescan for dynamic services"
    and then another root# prompt appeared

I then went to try opening Mode Switcher again, and got the Unknown Service Error message again.

What am I not getting?
    Now at least the commands were entered properly. You could try removing MS and then re-installing, for some reason your webOS setup is not installing the service or the database. I don't know the exact reason since I haven't had this problem myself, for me webOS always installs the service properly. I hope you are using Preware to install, I can not guarantee any other installation methods.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    [Got distracted by my real job]

So, I removed MS with Preware (which IS how I'd installed it). Rebooted the phone, and re-installed thru Preware. Same error message. I then redid the wiki commands, tried to open MS again, same problem. I then used Internalz to look, and I did see those files in those directories. So, I'm stumped. I can live without MS, as I've done since the beginning. It was just that, without the QST option I had in 1.4.5, I thought MS would be nice. If you have no other ideas, I'll just bag it.

Oh, well . . .
    Thanks anyway for your help!
  18.    #1238  
    [Got distracted by my real job]

So, I removed MS with Preware (which IS how I'd installed it). Rebooted the phone, and re-installed thru Preware. Same error message. I then redid the wiki commands, tried to open MS again, same problem. I then used Internalz to look, and I did see those files in those directories. So, I'm stumped. I can live without MS, as I've done since the beginning. It was just that, without the QST option I had in 1.4.5, I thought MS would be nice. If you have no other ideas, I'll just bag it.

Oh, well . . .
    Thanks anyway for your help!
    The problem most likely is that the webOS is not configuring the database for MS, not sure why it is not doing it. I have no idea what could have caused it but you should have problems with installing other services as well, so not sure if making MS to install is enough for you but you could try two more things to force the correct installation of MS.

The first thing to try is to uninstall MS again and then issue the following command:
    Code:
    rm -f /var/cache/configurator/*modeswitcher*
    And then install MS back, that deletes the cache of the configurator that is supposed do install the service and initialize the database (the removal of MS should do it as well, but at least this way it is done for sure).

If that wont help then the last option is to copy the database files into the system area that forces the creation of the database. You can do this with the following commands:

Code:
    cp -f /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/org.webosinternals.modeswitcher.srv/configuration/db/kinds/org.webosinternals.modeswitcher.srv /etc/palm/db/kinds/

cp -f /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/org.webosinternals.modeswitcher.srv/configuration/db/permissions/org.webosinternals.modeswitcher.srv /etc/palm/db/permissions/
    Then reboot and see if it works, if you get it to work then you can remove the above files with:

Code:
    rm -f /etc/palm/db/kinds/org.webosinternals.modeswitcher.srv

rm -f /etc/palm/db/permissions/org.webosinternals.modeswitcher.srv
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Thanks. I'll try that this evening. Could I do those commands on the computer thru WOQI's command line? Typing those on the phone's keyboard gets a little tedious.
  20.    #1240  
    Thanks. I'll try that this evening. Could I do those commands on the computer thru WOQI's command line? Typing those on the phone's keyboard gets a little tedious.
    Yes any command line access will work, with WOSQI I am not sure if it sets the path so you might need to set the full path for the commands, i.e. cp -> /bin/cp

Or you should be able to set the path if it does not find the command with command: export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin

But I haven't used WOSQI so can't say for sure.