Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but currently you can use one mode to start another mode using the MS app config. This is partly detailed in the manual but is currently being updated because of the new settings.

Basically you click the "Add MS" button in the Application settings of the first mode, then do something like "After Start" - "Start Mode" - "Data @ Work".

You can also add one like "Before Close" - "Close Mode" - "Data @ Work" to close the mode when you leave work.

Then the modes will be chained together.
    This is exactly what I needed. I changed Data @ Work to be "Hourly Data", left only a time interval trigger (5 min every hour), and changed it to Start Manually rather than Immediately.

Then I did exactly as you suggested to first profile. Thanks!!!!
    So here's another one. Maybe the existing functionality with Mode Actions will solve this too. I have a nighttime modifier mode to change volume, ringer (no vibrate), vibrate (now mute), turn screen off, etc. However, I do NOT want them running when i'm on-call. I set up an On-Call modifier for max volume of ringtone etc so I wake up in the middle of the night if I have to. I have that one set by Calendar event (investigating manual depending on how well calendar works), and have Nighttime set to be triggered by NOT that same calendar event.

Now the On-Call modifier, based on the calendar, would run for a whole week. Would "Close Mode" of "Nighttime" work, or would Nighttime kick off again the next night?
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    It really should not make it slower. The only thing that can currently slow down the phone is the extensive debug logging which I will keep on until 1.1.0. If it really feels like it slowing down a lot then there could be some trigger acting out. So you could leaving triggers out from the modes and see when it stops. If its that noticeable or just use problem report action so I get the logs and can see if some trigger is firing more often than it should.
    Rather than completely removing logging, why not change it to a preference setting that is off by default. That way, many of your testing minions can still beat up and test new features you may add in the future, and provide immediate debug feedback.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneFW View Post
    So here's another one. Maybe the existing functionality with Mode Actions will solve this too. I have a nighttime modifier mode to change volume, ringer (no vibrate), vibrate (now mute), turn screen off, etc. However, I do NOT want them running when i'm on-call. I set up an On-Call modifier for max volume of ringtone etc so I wake up in the middle of the night if I have to. I have that one set by Calendar event (investigating manual depending on how well calendar works), and have Nighttime set to be triggered by NOT that same calendar event.

Now the On-Call modifier, based on the calendar, would run for a whole week. Would "Close Mode" of "Nighttime" work, or would Nighttime kick off again the next night?
    Did not quite get what you are after, but maybe the following is what is needed. Just set both modes to be triggered as they should, but then in addition to the on-call mode set it to block other modes (so no other mode could overcome it) and then set it to close the nighttime mode after mode start. This way when ever the on-call mode starts it closes nighttime if it is on and makes sure that no other mode can take over. If this was what wanted then that should in theory to do what you want.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarvey View Post
    Rather than completely removing logging, why not change it to a preference setting that is off by default. That way, many of your testing minions can still beat up and test new features you may add in the future, and provide immediate debug feedback.
    At that time I plan to have a testing release to be used for debugging which will have logging on. When I get to adding the preferences scene for selecting which extensions are loaded then I might add a option for debugging too.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Awesome application Sconix I was playing around trying to set up a "driving" mode similar to what you showed in the manual however I am only seeing "no profiles" when I try to set up Govnah. What am I doing wrong?
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSamurai View Post
    Awesome application Sconix I was playing around trying to set up a "driving" mode similar to what you showed in the manual however I am only seeing "no profiles" when I try to set up Govnah. What am I doing wrong?
    You need to have Govnah installed and running. If you have then try rebooting. For me govnah has went into state that it was not replying for getProfiles request anymore, but reboot fixed it.
    Did not quite get what you are after, but maybe the following is what is needed. Just set both modes to be triggered as they should, but then in addition to the on-call mode set it to block other modes (so no other mode could overcome it) and then set it to close the nighttime mode after mode start. This way when ever the on-call mode starts it closes nighttime if it is on and makes sure that no other mode can take over. If this was what wanted then that should in theory to do what you want.
    Thanks Sconix. I had thought of that, but it wouldn't work with the other issue that I need data off while at work only. But it's ok. That is a very unique situation, so I don't expect there/nor am requesting that code be developed to support it.

I was just wondering if the closed was a block while this mode was on, or just a block at startup (or whatever setting I choose). Thasks!
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneFW View Post
    Thanks Sconix. I had thought of that, but it wouldn't work with the other issue that I need data off while at work only. But it's ok. That is a very unique situation, so I don't expect there/nor am requesting that code be developed to support it.

I was just wondering if the closed was a block while this mode was on, or just a block at startup (or whatever setting I choose). Thasks!
    There most likely is a way to get exactly what you want, but I don't have the whole picture in my head. Maybe setting work mode as modifier and the night as normal and then block only normal etc. There are quite much control in the MS app and the block settings. Its just figuring out the right combination
    There most likely is a way to get exactly what you want, but I don't have the whole picture in my head. Maybe setting work mode as modifier and the night as normal and then block only normal etc. There are quite much control in the MS app and the block settings. Its just figuring out the right combination
    Just what I thought. It's mind boggling what you've enabled. So maybe the right combination does it. Basically, here is what goes on for those who may be interested:

- Base Normal Mode: WiFi trigger, sets radios (all: on) & ringer (75%)
    - Work Modifier Mode: GPS trigger, turns off WiFi & Data, ringer & system @ 50%, runs Hourly Data mode at startup, kills Hourly Data mode at shutdown
    - Hourly Data Modifier: Manually activated, repeating interval: 5 min every hour, turns on Data
    - Nighttime Modifier Mode: 11 p - 6 a every day & avoid certain calendar events, ringer & system @ 25%, ringer w/o vibrate, no vibrate when muted turn off screen on touchstone & wall
    - On-Call Modifier Mode: certain calendar event trigger, ringer & system @ 100%

I'll eventually figure something out I'm sure. Once I spent more than a day with MS and watch the forums, the lightbulb may light up!
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    (from a separate discussion going on in the Patches forum...)
    There was some talk about requesting a patch that would enable the blink notifications *always on* -- that is, even when the screen is on.
    For example, if you have something running in landscape such as Timepiece (or clock, binary clock, youtube, whatever), but you don't want to miss your notifications, you could enable this blink-always-on functionality.
    Forum user JohnLBurger suggested (and I fully agree) that MS would be the best place from which to control this functionality. Sconix, if you're reading this, does that sound like an easy addition?

I'm loving this mother of all apps, and am going to donate today.
    Thanks again.
    -dave
    Thanks. The reboot fixed the problem. Everything is running awesome. Govnah and Mode Switcher have literally breathed new life into my Pre. The new Govnah functionality helped me solve my music streaming problem (was seeing high temps when streaming on the touchstone). You guys put the Smart back into my phone. I hope all these development efforts will also be able to roll into WebOS 2.0 in the future. You give us choices that manufacturers don't. I am patiently and anxiously waiting for the next Palm phone and tablet.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzwave View Post
    (from a separate discussion going on in the Patches forum...)
    There was some talk about requesting a patch that would enable the blink notifications *always on* -- that is, even when the screen is on.
    For example, if you have something running in landscape such as Timepiece (or clock, binary clock, youtube, whatever), but you don't want to miss your notifications, you could enable this blink-always-on functionality.
    Forum user JohnLBurger suggested (and I fully agree) that MS would be the best place from which to control this functionality. Sconix, if you're reading this, does that sound like an easy addition?

I'm loving this mother of all apps, and am going to donate today.
    Thanks again.
    -dave
    I don't know about how blink notification is controlled in WebOS, but I have a feeling that forcing it always on might not be easy or possible. If there were a patch for such thing then it could be integrated to MS most likely. I might look into this at some day in the future, but if patch will arise somewhere then I could take a earlier look.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzwave View Post
    Was just about to do a post here about this - thanks for being on top of things!

Just providing more insight, I would love it if this is possible. Especially with PDK games/apps where you're doing a bunch in landscape (such as the newly released Angry Birds), this would be a great option. Because I sometimes walk/look away from my Pre while in the middle of a game, then come back and continue. Without minimizing the app and with the screen staying on during that time, if I missed a notification, there's no way for me to know.
    I don't know about how blink notification is controlled in WebOS, but I have a feeling that forcing it always on might not be easy or possible. If there were a patch for such thing then it could be integrated to MS most likely. I might look into this at some day in the future, but if patch will arise somewhere then I could take a earlier look.
    Understood. Thanks for considering looking into it!
    This app is really incredible. I spent about 2 hours last night getting it all dialed in. I've got 9 different profiles set up, and each one works awesome.

Thanks a lot for this app. In fact, I was running a stock pre plus yesterday until I saw this app. It made me want to go thru getting preware installed etc. Now I have this and a ton of awesome patches!

In case anyone wants to steal my ideas for profiles -

1) Work Day (normal) - Set by time - basically my default setting
    2) After Hours weekday (normal) - set by time - speed up receiving personal emails and lessen frequency of work emails coming in to save some battery.
    3) Night Time (normal) - set by time - only manual email syncing and no noise (except phone ringer, screen dimmed to minimum
    4) Weekend Day (normal) - Personal email syncing only to save battery if Im out for hours with no charger.
    5) Car Mode (modifier) - volume way up for everything and max screen brightness. Auto Loads BFG Maps and Trapster
    6) Power Use (modifer) - During the work day whenever its on a touchstone it cranks screen bightness and sets wifi on, and all my email accounts set to Push snce i dont have to worry about battery drain.
    7) Low Battery Saver (modifier) - trumps all other modes - when battery hits 20% it drops screen brightness, shuts off wifi, turns all email to manual syncing.
    8) Alarm Clock (modifier) - if its between 11 at night at 7am, and i put it on the touchstone in landscape, the clock app opens to show a nice flip clock and i set it to never lock, so I dont have to see the ugly simple lock screen clock.
    9) Morning mode (normal) - 7am to 8am - email can now start to resume after being off all night, but will do so without noise alerts, so if my wife is still asleep, it wont wake her up.

I'm sure I'll come up with some more profiles too.
    VZW Palm Pre Plus User...
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brne4x4 View Post
    7) Low Battery Saver (modifier) - trumps all other modes - when battery hits 20% it drops screen brightness, shuts off wifi, turns all email to manual syncing.
    I hope that this is not a stupid question. If you have multiple modifiers, how do you set the priority of the different modifiers? If you want the have a "Low Battery" modifier have the highest priority, how is this done?
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlf View Post
    I hope that this is not a stupid question. If you have multiple modifiers, how do you set the priority of the different modifiers? If you want the have a "Low Battery" modifier have the highest priority, how is this done?
    The only priority mechanism is the latest started mode always take over of previously started modifier modes. For battery mode at least I have set it to block other modifier modes so as long as battery mode is active no other modifier mode can activate automatically (of course manually you can start if needed). So far I haven't had real need for prioritizing modes so hence there is no support for it. Since with blocking etc. I have managed to create all necessary situations. Since usually different modes touch different settings. I am also afraid that adding priority system would make the system too complicated.
    I'm still seeing "searching..." mainly when a mode closes or is closed manually (and my default mode becomes active). I do have system mode menu installed. As another post mentioned, toggling the phone radio fixes this, but...
    -are those that reported this previously seeing it fixed?
    -is this a MS or other (eg top bar patch) issue
    -am I missing something else that can help with this?

Thanks...
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    I'm still seeing "searching..." mainly when a mode closes or is closed manually (and my default mode becomes active). I do have system mode menu installed. As another post mentioned, toggling the phone radio fixes this, but...
    -are those that reported this previously seeing it fixed?
    -is this a MS or other (eg top bar patch) issue
    -am I missing something else that can help with this?

Thanks...
    I have only had time to fix this for the 1.4.5 version of the patch. So maybe you are running 1.4.1?