Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3434849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1246
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by splashote View Post
    great app!

I just miss one feature: Shortcuts.

I'd love to switch between modes through a shortxut.

Is it even possible? Any chance to see it implementated?

Thanks for your great wok!

btw: The Forum link in the app links to the old thread.

That patch is called "System Menu Mode Menu". You can find more information about that patch on the System Menus Wiki and the Mode Switcher Wiki pages.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Thanks for your answer.

I use this patch already and it is a great enhancement.

One thing I don't like: it requires two "clicks" to change a mode. Once I click on a mode I can activate or edit it.

I assume people who use the menu of the patch regularly just want to start a mode in more than 90% of the cases. Because once you have configured your modes you usually just switch between them. So it would be more user friendly if the modes would get activated directly

If I want to configure it, I start Mode Switcher. An option to start MS in the list would be a solution, too. (Perhaps below "Disable Mode Triggers")

Do you get my idea?

About the shortcuts: I refered to keyboard shortcuts. I definitley would prefer to have the option to change the mode via a keyboard shortcut.
    I assume people who use the menu of the patch regularly just want to start a mode in more than 90% of the cases. Because once you have configured your modes you usually just switch between them. So it would be more user friendly if the modes would get activated directly
    You are right that most people, most of the time, usually just switch modes rather than edit the modes. What you are suggesting, will reduce one step, but it also will increase the probability of accidently switching modes. Already I end up opening the drop down menu all the time and if your suggestion were to be implemented, I would end up with the modes being switched inadvertantly all the time.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    You are right that most people, most of the time, usually just switch modes rather than edit the modes. What you are suggesting, will reduce one step, but it also will increase the probability of accidently switching modes. Already I end up opening the drop down menu all the time and if your suggestion were to be implemented, I would end up with the modes being switched inadvertantly all the time.
    When do you open the modeswitcher accidentally? Don't you use patch to open the modeswitcher only without any app in focus?
    (I don't remember the exact name...)

This helps to avoid such incidents.

anyway, even if it might not end up as the default feature, I'm sure a lot of users would use it if there was an option to enable the direct activation..

what do you think of keyboard shortcuts?
    Thanks for your answer.

One thing I don't like: it requires two "clicks" to change a mode. Once I click on a mode I can activate or edit it.

If I want to configure it, I start Mode Switcher. An option to start MS in the list would be a solution, too. (Perhaps below "Disable Mode Triggers")

Do you get my idea?

About the shortcuts: I refered to keyboard shortcuts. I definitley would prefer to have the option to change the mode via a keyboard shortcut.
    Sconix would have to chime in to tell you why exactly it was chosen to design and code it the way he did. While I see your point, personally I like it how it is. Having a "one-click" to change mode would cause more problems than good IMO.

As for keyboard shortcuts, that is something that you can request to Sconix for his next version(s) of MS since I believe all current patches and MS for webOS <=1.4.5 are final and all work is being concentrated on his patches and MS for webOS 2.x.x.

While I think the idea of having keyboard shortcuts are interesting, I personally (IMHO ) think that it would add un-necessary code to an already powerful and complex app. Having to open the device (at this point on Pre/Pre+) to expose the keyboard to press some keys seems like more steps and touches than doing it through the currently available menu.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Thanks for your answer.

Do you get my idea?

I get your idea and I think it should be default. I never use the mode menu to access mode settings. It's more natural for me to just launch MS when I need to configure modes.

Sconix, unless I'm in the minority here, maybe test out this behavior with pre-2.0 versions and if feedback is positive, then do the same with 2.0?

Thanks for all your efforts!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    I set an application to opening in the default mode. How do I delete the app from my default mode? I do not see an option for deleting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey123 View Post
    I set an application to opening in the default mode. How do I delete the app from my default mode? I do not see an option for deleting it.
    Swipe it off.
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Thanks. That was much easier than I was making it.
    @ChemEngr: Thank you for sharing my opinion..

I'm sure our behaviour represents the majority of "use cases". Once you have found the suiting modes and their behaviour, you don't want to (and don't need to) configure them that often any more. That's what MS is all about, isn't it? To make (webos-)life easier?

About your proposal to change it in the pre (-contrary of post) 2.0-webOS devices: I think the best solution would be to make it optional. If there are a lot users that hit the menu by accident (like Sanjay) they wouldn't be put into more trouble. Although I'm convinced that the patch "System Menu Transparent Full Width App Menu" would solve their problems. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    As for keyboard shortcuts, that is something that you can request to Sconix for his next version(s) of MS since I believe all current patches and MS for webOS <=1.4.5 are final and all work is being concentrated on his patches and MS for webOS 2.x.x.

While I think the idea of having keyboard shortcuts are interesting, I personally (IMHO ) think that it would add un-necessary code to an already powerful and complex app. Having to open the device (at this point on Pre/Pre+) to expose the keyboard to press some keys seems like more steps and touches than doing it through the currently available menu.
    It really depends upon the use the user makes of its Pre. I have Data&WLAN off by default and switch it on to use them once I need them (to save battery).

So when I use them I usually have the keyboard open to send a message or write a post in a forum. Then I want to switch the WLAN off again and if I could make it through a shortcut this would make it easier for me...

But as you can't get everything in life I would totally prefer to have the mode menu cleaned up in order to be able to change the modes without confirming them again.
    ...Although I'm convinced that the patch "System Menu Transparent Full Width App Menu" would solve their problems. ;D
    That only works when you have another app open.

It really depends upon the use the user makes of its Pre. I have Data&WLAN off by default and switch it on to use them once I need them (to save battery).

So when I use them I usually have the keyboard open to send a message or write a post in a forum. Then I want to switch the WLAN off again and if I could make it through a shortcut this would make it easier for me...

But as you can't get everything in life I would totally prefer to have the mode menu cleaned up in order to be able to change the modes without confirming them again.
    I understand. We all use our devices in different ways and would like apps or patches to do things to accommodate our different ways.

I think you hit the nail on the head, that if Sconix chooses to amend that patch, it be set as a configurable option somehow.

12.    #1052  
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    That patch is called "System Menu Mode Menu". You can find more information about that patch on the System Menus Wiki and the Mode Switcher Wiki pages.
    Thanks for your answer.

Do you get my idea?

All my top bar menus have "shortcuts". And the default behavior is as it is due to the accidental selections. Having the one extra step helps normal/new users to not do things accidentally. If there is something in user interfaces that I hate more than anything is the things that you can do accidentally without realizing that you just requested some action to be performed without clear indication.

But for more advanced users getting rid of those extra steps make sense and hence in all of my top bar menus there is "shortcut" method and the shortcut method is gesture+tap for the menu item. What it does it that it executes the first item in the menu directly without opening the menu. Isn't this in the wiki...if not then theres a bit work for oakridge outdoors

I know this is not optimal for one hand usage and at some point I would like to add basic/advanced config option somewhere (maybe with the adv. system prefs patches) that would determine the default behavior in this kind of situations.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  13.    #1053  
    Small progress report regarding MS 2.0. I have finally fully recovered from the hardware failure and have my new PC setup for coding once again. And since I am currently jobless I am working on WebOS stuff as my "day job". So MS 2.0 is progressing quite nicely and I hope to have alpha version within two weeks at tops, but as always my life situation can change at any time and delay my timetable. MS 2.0 is a huge "rewrite" so if you like MS then please donate, donations are very motivational specially now when I don't have a proper income.

And thanks for those users that have reported small bugs in MS 1.x and are patiently waiting for the MS 2.0 for the fixes.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post

But for more advanced users getting rid of those extra steps make sense and hence in all of my top bar menus there is "shortcut" method and the shortcut method is gesture+tap for the menu item. What it does it that it executes the first item in the menu directly without opening the menu. Isn't this in the wiki...if not then theres a bit work for oakridge outdoors
    Hey sconix,
    thanks for your answer and all the time you putting into MS and the related patches.

I just tried to use the shortcut you described, but it doesn't work in my case.
    I tried it several times but the submenu opens up as usual, with or without the gesture field touched.

Great to hear that you're making progress on the 2.0 version. Once I receive my next paycheck you get a donation from my side.
  15.    #1055  
    Hey sconix,
    thanks for your answer and all the time you putting into MS and the related patches.

I just tried to use the shortcut you described, but it doesn't work in my case.
    I tried it several times but the submenu opens up as usual, with or without the gesture field touched.

Great to hear that you're making progress on the 2.0 version. Once I receive my next paycheck you get a donation from my side.
    Actually I don't remember anymore whether it was only in 2.x versions of the patches, at least the device menu patch had the shortcut much earlier than the mode menu. Anyway when MS 2.0 is released with the updated mode menu patch the shortcut will be there and the toggle to set the default behavior will come at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Actually I don't remember anymore whether it was only in 2.x versions of the patches, at least the device menu patch had the shortcut much earlier than the mode menu. Anyway when MS 2.0 is released with the updated mode menu patch the shortcut will be there and the toggle to set the default behavior will come at some point.
    Ok, so I don't keep trying.

I wish o2 was a bit faster with the update...
    A small donation has been made.. as this is one of the my most used applications...

thank you for your great work!
    for a short cut i use the add to launcher feature -- once you add an icon to the launcher it is one touch switch -- if you need it more accesable then that unhide your QL and stick it on there??
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    i am use pixi plus
    i am add

[LaunchAtBoot]
    com.palm.org.e-lnx.wee.apps.modeswitcher

to
    /etc/palm/luna-platform.conf
    /etc/palm/luna.conf

after that i reboot device and MS work at boot like on Pixi plus as it work in pre (with patch) .
    No dashboard but it can swicher well.
    need some one note that to make patch for pixi
    Last edited by anworm; 01/30/2011 at 04:07 AM. Reason: fix
  20.    #1060  
    Quote Originally Posted by anworm View Post
    i am use pixi plus
    i am add

[LaunchAtBoot]
    com.palm.org.e-lnx.wee.apps.modeswitcher

to
    /etc/palm/luna-platform.conf
    /etc/palm/luna.conf

after that i reboot device and MS work at boot like on Pixi plus as it work in pre (with patch) .
    No dashboard but it can swicher well.
    need some one note that to make patch for pixi
    Well with MS 2.0 there wont be need for the patch anymore, so if WebOS 2.x is coming to Pixi as well then not sure if making the patch is worth it at this time since both MS 2.0 and WebOS 2.x I guess should be out within next month.