Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1246
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #981  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawrnce View Post
    Another GPS question... I have two modes that are triggered by GPS location (home and work). I'll leave work or home , get in my vehicle and MS switches to the "Vehicle" mode, now MS notices I'm close to either of those GPS locations and will ask me to switch back to the GPS triggered location I just left. Is there a way to have MS delay something (or other setting) so that I may drive a few minutes away out of the GPS location range so MS doesn't ask me to switch back to the location I just left?
    Hope this makes sense and I realize that this question almost goes in the MS works too well category!!
    At the moment no, for 2.x MS I have plans to have better delay mechanisms in place so something like that most likely will be possible.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  2.    #982  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhemsell View Post
    Was Wifi SSID removed as a trigger in 1.0.9?
    No, the wireless trigger is still there.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Sconix - So my wife just got a Pre and I installed all of your apps and add on to it. Now i have noticed a few things different on her Mode Swithcher that is not the same on my Plam Pre Mode Switcher. The biggest fusteration I am having currently is in the Default mode it will not recognize my email that is set for 2 hours it only see's the standard 1 and 6 hour setting. On my Palm Pre it see's the 2 hour setting and I can set it in MS as a default for my other settings.

Any idea what would cause this?

Is there any chance to get you to add in a few more options when it comes to email retrieval settings. 1 hour to 6 hours is a huge jump and not always practical.
    My History of the last 10 years with Sprint! Palm Pre is by far the BEST!

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    So, I'm hoping some of you can help me with this, I'm trying to redesign my modes because I recently got a Pre 2 - I was at Dev Day in NYC last month and they gave all the attendees one. Of course it's a GSM unlocked device and I'm with Sprint. I have multiple phones with Sprint on a family plan, so I can't easily leave them, aside from the fact that their prices are great and that I want to see who will be offering the next line of HP Palm phones when they come out next year.

So, I've been tethering the Pre 2 to my Sprint Pre for a few weeks via myTether. I even went so far as to creat a "Tether" mode, but it is currently only activated manually and disables other triggers once it is activated.

I really would rather have more automation as far as this stuff goes, though, but am having trouble figuring out how to accomplish it.

Essentially I want to use the Pre 2 as my main device whenever possible, so that means going into tether mode whenever I'm not in a location where I can get the Pre 2 on a wifi network. Practically that means everywhere except my home and very occasionally in restaurants and coffee shops where there is free public wifi. I don't have wifi at work either. I've realized that to do this I really need to keep wifi on all the time. I could turn wifi on only when home via the gps trigger for my home mode, but that won't account for the occasional times I go to other locations that might have it.

I've tried playing around with the wifi trigger but it doesn't work the way it seems it should, and unfortunately the manual does not explain anything about how this trigger works (hint hint ). Right now I have my tether mode set with a wifi trigger set to "disconnected." Which to me would infer that it isn't connected to a wifi network. I'm at work now and am thus not connected to any wifi network, and yet this mode is not being triggered. Unless this trigger really only happens when you actually disconnect FROM a wifi network, in which case it's not as useful as I would like. Don't get me wrong, having such a general trigger is very useful, but I would think there needs to be another one that triggers (or closes) a mode based on the overall wifi status.

The only other thing I can think of is chaining the tether mode to my home mode by using that disconnected trigger (or even specifying the ssid of my home network via the disconnected FROM trigger.

Any other ideas?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I found that the disconnected wifi trigger was a bit tricky esp when you are in range of wifi that you are not using. The disconected from trigger is more reliable.

Here is a thought. Use both triggers. Set one to disconnected from your home ssid and another disconnected only. Maybe add them to a group trigger.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    I found that the disconnected wifi trigger was a bit tricky esp when you are in range of wifi that you are not using. The disconected from trigger is more reliable.

Here is a thought. Use both triggers. Set one to disconnected from your home ssid and another disconnected only. Maybe add them to a group trigger.
    Ok, added the disconnected FROM and set required to one trigger, but this didn't do anything. My sense is that the "disconnected" trigger only works when you are already connected and then get disconnected. It doesn't check to see whether you are connected and if you aren't it triggers.

I'm trying to rethink my whole scheme to see if looking at it in a differnt way might provide a better way to do it. So perhaps my default mode should be tethered, and that will get overriden when Home is triggered via gps. Then I can have a third mode for being out but not tethering and that could be triggered by a wifi trigger set to connected? Actually, that won't work. Part of the problem is that myTether only works if wifi is disabled. It's one of those catch-22 issues, ergh!

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Ok, added the disconnected FROM and set required to one trigger, but this didn't do anything. My sense is that the "disconnected" trigger only works when you are already connected and then get disconnected. It doesn't check to see whether you are connected and if you aren't it triggers.

I'm trying to rethink my whole scheme to see if looking at it in a differnt way might provide a better way to do it. So perhaps my default mode should be tethered, and that will get overriden when Home is triggered via gps. Then I can have a third mode for being out but not tethering and that could be triggered by a wifi trigger set to connected? Actually, that won't work. Part of the problem is that myTether only works if wifi is disabled. It's one of those catch-22 issues, ergh!
    I think the key is to ude it in conjunction with another trigger. The wifi disconnected trigger as more like a condition than a trigger unless you happen to disconnect from a network as you say. If you add another trigger in a group, like screenstate or battery, you might have better success.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    I think the key is to ude it in conjunction with another trigger. The wifi disconnected trigger as more like a condition than a trigger unless you happen to disconnect from a network as you say. If you add another trigger in a group, like screenstate or battery, you might have better success.
    Hmmm, as an aside, this makes me wonder about this perhaps overlooked but also obvious nature of what exactly a trigger is in this context. Most triggers, it seems, are simple conditions that get checked by Modeswitcher on a continuous basis. So "do until x = 1 { if batterylevel < 20 then x = 1 }" etc. But in this case, and perhaps some others that aren't as obviuos, it's the change itself that trips it. So either Mode Switcher itself is saving the property value and then every so often comparing the current value to the last recorded one, or there's some event that it can check for occurring vs. a more static property value. I assume it's the latter. I wonder though whether for the triggers that are only triggered by such an event, whether this is because the ability to look at a relevant property isn't possible in webOS? The reason being is that at least in the case of wifi, it seems it would be more reliable to just check a property to know whether you were connected or not vs. having to catch an event at the right time. Obviuosly I don't know much about how this stuff works under the hood, so maybe this will all sound silly to Sconix, but I do wonder why there seems to be this distinction between various triggers and I just have a feeling it's based on how these services or whatever you want to call them report to the system and/or can be checked in order to be used in programs like Mode Switcher...

9.    #989  
    Hmmm, as an aside, this makes me wonder about this perhaps overlooked but also obvious nature of what exactly a trigger is in this context. Most triggers, it seems, are simple conditions that get checked by Modeswitcher on a continuous basis. So "do until x = 1 { if batterylevel < 20 then x = 1 }" etc. But in this case, and perhaps some others that aren't as obviuos, it's the change itself that trips it. So either Mode Switcher itself is saving the property value and then every so often comparing the current value to the last recorded one, or there's some event that it can check for occurring vs. a more static property value. I assume it's the latter. I wonder though whether for the triggers that are only triggered by such an event, whether this is because the ability to look at a relevant property isn't possible in webOS? The reason being is that at least in the case of wifi, it seems it would be more reliable to just check a property to know whether you were connected or not vs. having to catch an event at the right time. Obviuosly I don't know much about how this stuff works under the hood, so maybe this will all sound silly to Sconix, but I do wonder why there seems to be this distinction between various triggers and I just have a feeling it's based on how these services or whatever you want to call them report to the system and/or can be checked in order to be used in programs like Mode Switcher...
    All the triggers are event based since I don't want to make MS to poll anything since then it would eat battery and basically be useless. The event mechanism is offered by the WebOS so whenever there is an event such as wifi disconnection MS is notified about it. So MS only needs to store the previous and current state of the trigger for triggers that need those. So MS does not need to check the state of something since MS gets notified always when something changes so it is more resource friendly to just keep track of the previous and current values than do the check that what is the current state. Specially in 1.4.5 since those service request for asking the state etc. are not most reliable nor light weight. And even for some there does not exist such a call for checking the state hence one or two triggers have problems knowing the state after luna/phone restart. Hopefully those can be found from webOS 2.0, haven't yet checked.

There are some triggers such as battery trigger that are not that resource friendly since MS needs to check the trigger always when battery level drops. But in WebOS 2.0.0 there are new stuff that will make this kind of things more resource friendly. Hence many things in MS 2.0 will be better regarding how the core stuff works. Not saying it is bad in MS 1.x its not just the most optimal way.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Thanks for the explanation, Sconix, that's very interesting. So basically all triggers are event-based in MS, huh.

On a related note, I noticed that the MS patches are available in the webOS 2.0 Preware feed, but to my knowledge the 2.0 version of MS isn't out yet, so I'm just wondering why those patches are available...

11.    #991  
    Thanks for the explanation, Sconix, that's very interesting. So basically all triggers are event-based in MS, huh.

On a related note, I noticed that the MS patches are available in the webOS 2.0 Preware feed, but to my knowledge the 2.0 version of MS isn't out yet, so I'm just wondering why those patches are available...
    MS 2.0 wont be needing any patches (at least it should not, cannot say for 100% yet since it work in progress). The patch is for MS 1.x which works in webOS 2.0 as well. There are couple features that wont work in webOS 2.0, but mainly MS 1.x should work in webOS 2.0. The MS 2.x will just utilize all the new stuff offered by the webOS 2.0 and hence cannot be run in webOS 1.4.5.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    MS 2.0 wont be needing any patches (at least it should not, cannot say for 100% yet since it work in progress). The patch is for MS 1.x which works in webOS 2.0 as well. There are couple features that wont work in webOS 2.0, but mainly MS 1.x should work in webOS 2.0. The MS 2.x will just utilize all the new stuff offered by the webOS 2.0 and hence cannot be run in webOS 1.4.5.
    Nice. But this now gives me that much more complexity to figure out! It's hard enough to map out all the possibilities on one phone, let alone 2!

Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    No, the wireless trigger is still there.
    Weird ...it's there now, but sure wasn't when I posted. Maybe something w/ the wireless had crashed
    MS doesn't work on my Palm Pre 2.
    The application do nothing when i try to launch it, the application isn't launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    I've been trying to add GPS triggers to a couple of modes.

I select "select location", enter the street address, and the map displays the the red marker on the location.

Then, I select done, and the screen closes, but it appears the location coordinates are not saved... in the location field it displays: NaN;NaN (which doesn't seem correct.) ;-)

Can anyone tell me what I am screwing up here? ;-)
    I have the same problem. I selected my current location to get the correct format, exported the mode to Google Docs, typed in the new lat/lon in the Google Docs page, and then imported the mode back to MS. Seems to work and in some ways it is easier to do on a computer anyway.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COS777 View Post
    I have the same problem. I selected my current location to get the correct format, exported the mode to Google Docs, typed in the new lat/lon in the Google Docs page, and then imported the mode back to MS. Seems to work and in some ways it is easier to do on a computer anyway.
    Nice solution! This used to work and in fact I recall that at one point you were able to actually type in the coordinates yourself if I'm not mistaken. This definitely seems like a bug, but the map itself is incredibly sluggish, hard to pan and zoom, etc., so really needs a bit of tlc. I ended up fixing the problem by just waiting until I was at the location I wanted to make a gps trigger of and creating it once there. Not ideal by any stretch. Hopefully it's something that will be taken care of in 2.0...

I use USBnet to rsync my Palm Pre Plus to my home Windows computer, but when connected to my work Linux computer, it drains the batteries. Is there a way to enable and disable USBnet from within Mode Switcher without restarting? This would be very helpful for me. Thanks!
  18.    #998  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hoffman View Post
    I use USBnet to rsync my Palm Pre Plus to my home Windows computer, but when connected to my work Linux computer, it drains the batteries. Is there a way to enable and disable USBnet from within Mode Switcher without restarting? This would be very helpful for me. Thanks!
    At least currently this is not possible.
    I'm finally dipping my toes into MS, I was primarily driven by the want to turn the screen off when charging on the touchstone.

The other feature I was hoping for, was for MS to randomly change my wallpaper. I think it currently doesn't do this, but any hope for getting this?

I know there are apps that can do this, but they're unsupported in their useful form, and in my experience, they don't work very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    I'm finally dipping my toes into MS, I was primarily driven by the want to turn the screen off when charging on the touchstone.

The other feature I was hoping for, was for MS to randomly change my wallpaper. I think it currently doesn't do this, but any hope for getting this?

I know there are apps that can do this, but they're unsupported in their useful form, and in my experience, they don't work very well.
    You can create modes set throughout the day that will change the wallpaper.